IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So Cotterill was still chasing unrealistic targets in his final days then? Why am I not surprised.

But what's unrealistic mate? With the benefit of hindsight anything is unrealistic isn't it? I imagine as a club we'll continue to chase unrealistic targets, but we'll probably not hear a peep out of you because it doesn't suit your anti Cotterill agenda. 

Come on pal. Not everything has to be turned into an anti Cotterill thread does it? We all get that you didn't like him. But just leave it there eh?

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

But what's unrealistic mate? With the benefit of hindsight anything is unrealistic isn't it? I imagine as a club we'll continue to chase unrealistic targets, but we'll probably not hear a peep out of you because it doesn't suit your anti Cotterill agenda. 

Come on pal. Not everything has to be turned into an anti Cotterill thread does it? We all get that you didn't like him. But just leave it there eh?

Just very frustrated with the board too, that they left it so long and allowed this incompetence of chasing players out of our reach with no plan B go on for so long - they are just as culpable in my eyes.

We should have had players lined up for the 1st January Fordy given our desperate situation yet in the second week of January we were trying to convince Darren Bent to come here?

I'm glad to see expectations have been adjusted accordingly and this week we will hopefully see 2 players come in. The likes of Lafferty, Dack, Pearce etc are so much more attainable for a club in our position.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just very frustrated with the board too, that they left it so long and allowed this incompetance of chasing players out of our reach with no plan B go on for so long - they are just as culpable in my eyes.

We should have had players lined up for the 1st January Fordy given our desperate situation yet in the second week of January we were trying to convince Darren Bent to come here?

I'm glad to see expectations have been adjusted accordingly and this week we will hopefully see 2 players come in. The likes of Lafferty, Dack, Pearce etc are so much more attainable for a club in our position.

Crazy world of football, Lafferty and Bent both can't get a game at their clubs. KL was the top scorer, or one of the top scorers, in the Euro qualifiers and no one thinks he out of our reach, yet Bent, who has done the square root of **** all in years is

I get there's probably a big difference in wages there, but both surely should be out reach for a Div 2 relegation threatened club?

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just very frustrated with the board too, that they left it so long and allowed this incompetence of chasing players out of our reach with no plan B go on for so long - they are just as culpable in my eyes.

And herein lies the problem. Cotts was going to get the boot. So how much did the board use him as a scapegoat and not back him? We'll never fully know. Are they now just pulling their fingers out and changing the goalposts because they want to cover themselves in glory and portray Cotts as the bad guy?

But I do know that Pearce and Dack were Cotts' targets. And come on... Lafferty is just as unrealistic on paper as any of the others, but we can't use that one as an unrealistic target because we don't yet have the benefit of hindsight. 

I applaud Cotts and the board for chasing Gray (who was a done deal early doors until we tried to renegotiate) and Gayle. Can you remember the euphoria on here when we were chasing them? None of us on here were suggesting they were unrealistic amidst the throws of the chase. They were exactly the type of players we should have been after. We were all dead excited and rightly so. Unfortunately for whatever reason (see above) they didn't work out. But I will never ever condemn the manager or any other person for chasing optimistic targets, they're what allow us to date to dream.

So bring on the next unrealistic target as far as I'm concerned!

I don't agree about unrealistic targets, you never know unless you try for good players, it's how you progress. I do agree strongly that in the summer there should have been , if not a plan B exactly , some players brought in to bolster the squad. To not have players lined up for first day of the window is inept n the highest degree. Who's fault that is, who knows . Now there seems to be progress , for whatever reason , lets hope we get some bodies and quality in soon.

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

And herein lies the problem. Cotts was going to get the boot. So how much did the board use him as a scapegoat and not back him? We'll never fully know. Are they now just pulling their fingers out and changing the goalposts because they want to cover themselves in glory and portray Cotts as the bad guy?

But I do know that Pearce and Dack were Cotts' targets. And come on... Lafferty is just as unrealistic on paper as any of the others, but we can't use that one as an unrealistic target because we don't yet have the benefit of hindsight. 

I applaud Cotts and the board for chasing Gray (who was a done deal early doors until we tried to renegotiate) and Gayle. Can you remember the euphoria on here when we were chasing them? None of us on here were suggesting they were unrealistic amidst the throws of the chase. They were exactly the type of players we should have been after. We were all dead excited and rightly so. Unfortunately for whatever reason (see above) they didn't work out. But I will never ever condemn the manager or any other person for chasing optimistic targets, they're what allow us to date to dream.

So bring on the next unrealistic target as far as I'm concerned!

No issue with pushing the boat out, but there has to be a time when you say no more and revert to plan B. Through apparent loyalty to his players SC seemed unwilling to do this - otherwise we would have landed at least some other permanent targets. In the end we just needed bodies to help out the great core of players we have.

You accuse me of being anti-SC, are you really exonerating him from all responsibility of (not) signing players?

All this 'unrealistic target' stuff is kind of what us, the fans, have been after!!

If we had been trying to sign players from Accrington Stanley etc, everyone would be asking where the clubs ambition is!!

I get that we've been aiming high & I have no problem with that but I agree that we should of had a 'Plan B', after the Gayle & Gray deals fell through / never took off, we should of had lower targets that were seen as more attainable but there never seemed to be any back up contingency!!

Now who that's down too, I don't know, was it Burt or Cotts who decided who we were after?

And I also agree that no matter who it was in charge of targets / deals, these should of been lined up to arrive on January 1st but again nothing came & again, we have no idea who that was down to?

There was nothing at all stopping us from being in contact with clubs during October/ November/ December & asking if there was any chance of signing X,y, or z player!!

By that time we would of known if those players were part of their teams 1st team plans (injuries allowing).

After the summer in particular, you would of thought that someone would of been itching to get things right during this window but we've seemingly sat there again with our fingers stuck up our arses waiting for someone else to do something & that for me isn't good enough!!

Our transfer policy seems non league at best, yet we're constantly told that we want Premiership football here!!

The club sadly are nowhere near ready to be in the Premier League!!

43 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Don't worry Fordy.... he will offer you out soon and then chicken out and not turn up......  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No issue with pushing the boat out, but there has to be a time when you say no more and revert to plan B. Through apparent loyalty to his players SC seemed unwilling to do this - otherwise we would have landed at least some other permanent targets. In the end we just needed bodies to help out the great core of players we have.

You accuse me of being anti-SC, are you really exonerating him from all responsibility of (not) signing players?

Well the list of suspects over the lack of signings is.

SL

Pelling

KB

SC

JL

and we don't and will probably never know the full 'truth', we have heard some rumours, some urban myths and a lot of bullshit, are you exonerating the others on the list? and just trying to blame one person?.

1 hour ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Don't worry Fordy.... he will offer you out soon and then chicken out and not turn up......  :facepalm:

I'm fortunate enough that no one has ever bothered to offer me out. There are a number of reasons why I'd decline:

1. I like my wife and daughter better than anyone else. Travelling anywhere involves me spending time away from them. 

2. Fighting puts me in an uncomfortable position where I have to think about using 'special' powers that I possess and then the inevitable evidence giving that follows  

3. I don't like fighting. 

4. Enough people are mean to me at work. I don't like meanness in work, let alone out of it. 

5. I'm incredibly lazy. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I'm fortunate enough that no one has ever bothered to offer me out. There are a number of reasons why I'd decline:

1. I like my wife and daughter better than anyone else. Travelling anywhere involves me spending time away from them. 

2. Fighting puts me in an uncomfortable position where I have to think about using 'special' powers that I possess and then the inevitable evidence giving that follows  

3. I don't like fighting. 

4. Enough people are mean to me at work. I don't like meanness in work, let alone out of it. 

5. I'm incredibly lazy. 

6. I could break a nail

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Bring them along!!

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Bring them along!!

I'm not sure they'd be much good. The wife is too busy whinging about feeling sick (amidst bouts of sickness) and the best the 3 year old could come up with is using her magical Ice powers (that don't actually exist!). 

3 minutes ago, Gilts said:

Just had two messages saying about Alex Pearce & Ben Gladwin. Do we need another centre back? 

Think we do really, Baker seems to get injured lots and always has a red card in him. El Abd won't be playing and I can't see Ayling really working in a back 4. Williams is the other option but I think we need a right footed centre back too as competition for Flint.

First I've heard of Gladwin, what did you hear about him? Liked him last season but read that Swindon and Coventry are both interested.

30 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well the list of suspects over the lack of signings is.

SL

Pelling

KB

SC

JL

and we don't and will probably never know the full 'truth', we have heard some rumours, some urban myths and a lot of bullshit, are you exonerating the others on the list? and just trying to blame one person?.

Of course not, you clearly aren't reading my posts carefully enough. I have 100% laid some of the blame at the doorstep of the board. It's the people that are exonerating SC from any blame whatsoever that I am taking issue with. I just don't believe that is right.

This is the man who turned up at the club and said that he would be in charge of footballing decisions. Well, he signed one player on a permanent basis in around 18 months. We can conclude from that, that he along with others made some very bad decisions.

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I'm not sure they'd be much good. The wife is too busy whinging about feeling sick (amidst bouts of sickness) and the best the 3 year old could come up with is using her magical Ice powers (that don't actually exist!). 

You've said that with such confidence I'm starting to doubt my magical powers exist

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Of course not, you clearly aren't reading my posts carefully enough. I have 100% laid some of the blame at the doorstep of the board. It's the people that are exonerating SC from any blame whatsoever that I am taking issue with. I just don't believe that is right.

This is the man who turned up at the club and said that he would be in charge of footballing decisions. Well, he signed one player on a permanent basis in around 18 months. We can conclude from that, that he along with others made some very bad decisions.

Think you're right, definitely a collective effort for our failure in the summer. What a shame that was

I am though really enjoying the use of the word 'exonerated' on here today - reminds me of Adam El Abd's character in Prison Break!

http://gonetworth.com/dominic-purcell-net-worth/

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think we do really, Baker seems to get injured lots and always has a red card in him. El Abd won't be playing and I can't see Ayling really working in a back 4. Williams is the other option but I think we need a right footed centre back too as competition for Flint.

First I've heard of Gladwin, what did you hear about him? Liked him last season but read that Swindon and Coventry are both interested.

Just heard they both will be signing on loan, nothing more than that haha. 

But yeah, maybe El Abd will be going back out on loan. 

1 minute ago, Gilts said:

Just heard they both will be signing on loan, nothing more than that haha. 

But yeah, maybe El Abd will be going back out on loan. 

That's good, both would be good signings. Shame for Gladwin it hasn't worked out at QPR yet but I think he's a good player. Really impressed me at Swindon.

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I do read your posts and i've seen the odd dig at SL but nothing aimed at the other suspects but shedload aimed at SC.

You, Harry and Spudski and a few others don't like him and that's fine, just be happy now he's gone, at least he gave us our first ever championship winning season during my almost 58 years of support, which makes him unique FFS even the gas have that one over us during that time, which further proves that in general it has been a pretty miserable time.

49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why wouldn't ayling work in a back four , he's a right back

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

Apparently John Egan at Gillingham is out of contract at the end of the season, could do worse than trying to get him on a cut price fee.

Absolutely.

Wouldn't be devastated if his current manager tagged along, too.

Archived