IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

6 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

1 in 3 isn't outstanding?!

we aren't going to get peak Maynard or McCormack so why not?

Because he got 5 in 33 last season which is very bad. We can get better players who aren't 29 and who actually can help create the play as opposed to "score tap-ins" imagine playing 1 upfront who's just a poacher. We'd never get out our half. 

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Because he got 5 in 33 last season which is very bad. We can get better players who aren't 29 and who actually can help create the play as opposed to "score tap-ins" imagine playing 1 upfront who's just a poacher. We'd never get out our half. 

It's pretty clear Sharp is going to stay at Sheffield United as long as he can now anyway; it's not often you get the chance to play for your home town club, let alone more than once.  If he plays at this level again, it'll be with them; no one else.

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

No,no no. Done nothing since leaving Man Utd. Had his 5 minutes of fame is basically a League 1 player at best. 

Tom Bradshaw please.

What, Tom Bradshaw who, having never played above League 1, is surely the definition of a 'League 1 player'. Don't get the cult of Bradshaw thing. He'd probably do ok at Championship level, but the goal-scoring messiah he ain't in my opinion

Macheda isn't the most exciting choice, but he's scored a lot more goals at this level than Tom Bradshaw

19 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

What, Tom Bradshaw who, having never played above League 1, is surely the definition of a 'League 1 player'. Don't get the cult of Bradshaw thing. He'd probably do ok at Championship level, but the goal-scoring messiah he ain't in my opinion

Macheda isn't the most exciting choice, but he's scored a lot more goals at this level than Tom Bradshaw

Thank you; glad someone pointed this out.

Bradshaw has never scored at this level; Macheda has, yet one is a 'League One' forward, and the other desirable.

As you say: starting to sound like blind faith, so think the term 'Cult of Bradshaw' is appropriate.

11 minutes ago, samo II said:

Thank you; glad someone pointed this out.

Bradshaw has never scored at this level; Macheda has, yet one is a 'League One' forward, and the other desirable.

As you say: starting to sound like blind faith, so think the term 'Cult of Bradshaw' is appropriate.

Shouldn't get too involved... Didn't @Tomarse suggest on another thread that @Ashtonwurzel was another guise of @kachina?

The problems with strikers is that the first thing you do is look at goals per game.  Of course it's an important part, but it depends on why you're buying them.

Sometimes you're looking for the player to form a partnership and you look for attributes that compliment the other.

You'll almost certainly be looking for someone who fits into the style of play.

i think too many on here look at the raw stats from Wikipedia - at least scroll down to the bottom to see a breakdown of starts ' subs, season by season, division by division.

2 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Macheda is only 24. I have no idea how he's done at Cardiff, but with the Euros round the corner it may be a good move for him? He's been in and out of the Italy squad in the past. As others have said, you don't play under Fergie without having the minerals 

I posted his scoring stats on this thread. No goals this year from 3 games and about 6 from 21 games last season...not prolific.

50 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Can't say I see Macheda as a good potential signing, he must still be on BIG money and apart from his loan to Brum into 2014, his scoring record is poor. Would much rather we had gone in for Kermorgant. Sounds sadly typical of Cotts chasing the wrong targets.

My thoughts exactly... upsetting the dressing room is not what we want and his scoring record is mediocre... to be fare.

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

How many of those games were sub appearances of 5 minutes ?

Going by goals per game is not even an approximation of a players contribution.

Minutes on the pitch is a much better indication.

Exactly.

No idea on how it plays out for this lad at all, but surely our own team's use of substitutions this season should be indicative of how getting an 'appearance' often counts for very little.

People used the same stick to beat JET with, but when you looked into it, he ended up being responsible for a goal via a direct assist or actually netting one something like every 100 mins or something, which is a sensational ratio.

A little less Wikipedia, a little more insight needed sometimes.

21 minutes ago, cynic said:

How many of those games were sub appearances of 5 minutes ?

Going by goals per game is not even an approximation of a players contribution.

Minutes on the pitch is a much better indication.

Naturally but then that bodes the question why... why was he only on the pitch as a sub? He is a striker right so its all about goals.. and he has not scored many.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Naturally but then that bodes the question why... why was he only on the pitch as a sub? He is a striker right so its all about goals.. and he has not scored many.

Maybe that manager doesn't rate him? Players can get into ruts at clubs - look at Bolasie; rarely utilised to his fullest here and now thriving at a higher level.

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

I have no idea.

Maybe the formation they play doesn't suit him, maybe they have another striker in form, maybe he's shite (which is plainly not the case given his background).

But goals to games ratio is a flawed concept which can be ignored.

I would say you absolutely cannot ignore it but you must consider it along with other factors.. the more important one, given his lack of matches, being why he has not played much. I admit he simply may not be flavour of the month hence why he is available for transfer but he may simply not be considered good enough.. at least for Cardiff. He has not been there that long so its bizarre he is out of favour and that, alone, should be a question mark. So, we are in the hands of the BCFC management who know more than you and me. We can only remark on what we see before us and I remain unconvinced.

He's played 5,386 minutes in senior teams in England. Those teams are QPR, Doncaster, Cardiff, Man U and Birmingham. He's scored 26 goals in those minutes. That is one every 207 minutes. That's one in just over 2 games per. Or 1:2.3 or so. It's not an awful record. Done this for Matt Smith as well but only championship for him and it was a bit better. 

The thing about goal per game or goals per minute is the situation. His best spell was at Birmingham where he scored one every 113 minutes. At Cardiff one every 181 minutes. The point being his record is just that, a record. It doesn't have a bearing for how he would perform here. It shows he can score goals but for whatever reason hasn't been a consistent player. If the price and wages were right it wouldn't be a bad shout. Truth is we don't know how he'd react playing in our style and with consistent minutes. That goes for any player. So if he's identified as a good target by our staff, then I'm happy to have him. 

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I would say you absolutely cannot ignore it but you must consider it along with other factors.. the more important one, given his lack of matches, being why he has not played much. I admit he simply may not be flavour of the month hence why he is available for transfer but he may simply not be considered good enough.. at least for Cardiff. He has not been there that long so its bizarre he is out of favour and that, alone, should be a question mark. So, we are in the hands of the BCFC management who know more than you and me. We can only remark on what we see before us and I remain unconvinced.

An easy factor can be who else is in that squad. Considering the plethora of strikers Cardiff have/had (Jones, Le Fondre, Doyle, Maynard, Mason, Macheda) that tells a large part of the story and may suggest not much in 'not considered good enough'. Couple that with a change in manager also from the chap who brought him in, I'd give him the benefit of doubt. One blank in a game and there's a good player ready to come in.

2 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I love stuff like this - 23 goals in 104 senior appearances as a centre forward = Heskyesque.

This is the type of "has been/never will be" transfer we have been promised we will never get involved in again.

Billy Sharp - 363 senior appearances and 152 goals. Better option for me.

104 appearances, but only 43 starts, so very selective quoting.

If his 60+ sub appearances were in the last ten minutes that ain't a lot of time on the pitch..

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

104 appearances, but only 43 starts, so very selective quoting.

If his 60+ sub appearances were in the last ten minutes that ain't a lot of time on the pitch..

Question has to be asked then why has he only managed 43 starts in all of those games ?

This smacks of signing a "name" rather than a player better/different than we already have. Much rather see Burns be given a run of games and save on his (probable) hefty wages.

Interesting to see how much each minute Macheda has actually managed to be on the pitch has cost his numerous clubs ?

Nicky Ajose is being targeted by a host of clubs following his sensational first half of the season with Swindon Town.

HITC Sport understands that Preston North End, Bristol City and Rotherham United - all battling to beat the drop in the Championship - are seriously interested in the 24-year-old, and are ready to make bids for him before the end of this month when the transfer window shuts.

5 minutes ago, Bantry Banter said:

Nicky Ajose is being targeted by a host of clubs following his sensational first half of the season with Swindon Town.

HITC Sport understands that Preston North End, Bristol City and Rotherham United - all battling to beat the drop in the Championship - are seriously interested in the 24-year-old, and are ready to make bids for him before the end of this month when the transfer window shuts.

Swap deal with El-Abd?

10 minutes ago, Bantry Banter said:

He's already proven he can't do it at this level.

Archived