IGNORED

Sit where you like?

Real Red

23 minutes ago, JM91 said:

I don't just find this strange, it's irritating.

I personally prefer to stand and sing at away matches too, but the "i'm a better fan because I stand", "I'm a better fan because I want the Robin badge", "I'm the better fan because I go to the back" stuff is silly.  

loads of different people go to football for loads of different reasons.

I want to stand, but if I'm in front of children I'll sit so they can see, it's not because I'm not a football fan, it's because I'm not a c***.

Completely agree with the standing infront of children if they can't see. 

But in all honesty I do think those who sing their hearts out are better supporters because of the simple fact that they are doing just that... supporting. I sit in the Dolman and have no problem saying that fans in the Atyeo are better than me at home games, as they give the team constant vocal support. Whereas for 90% of games, fans in the Dolman (including myself) are just.. there. 

People always rave about Dortmunds fans being amongst the best fans in the world. That's because of the atmosphere they generate at matches. Would they be viewed this way if they were all sat down in silence? I don't think so.

46 minutes ago, Claude said:
10 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

Looks like evertones standing to me

2013-04-20away-end.jpg

With respect looking at both our fans and Foster that's a goal celebration at the BRE

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Manchester United - they never sit. I watched them on Sky vs you early last year (Berahino scored a great goal) and they certainly weren't. Same for Spurs, Everton, Villa, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham.. Are you really saying their support sits?? I don't think so.

Was at that game and the majority sat, my seats are close to the Smethwick in the East stand so i'm close to the away fans. The only time anybody has for all the game was SAF's last game the 5-5 with united. When you're paying £45-£70 a ticket it's a silly reason to get ejected

58 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So their day was effectively ruined because they had the cheek to sit in the seats they purchased?

As much as I dislike many facets of 'modern football' - if someone buys a seat they have every right to sit in it and not be told to move somewhere else.

It wouldn't be tolerated at a gig or the theatre or many other sporting venues. If a section is 'unreserved seating' then fine, it's a free for all. But why can't people just sit in the seats they've bought if it's not unreserved?

As I said, a lot of stuff about modern football really annoys me. Sitting down is one of them. But it's here to stay so why ruin the day out for other people by deciding to sit where you want?

For what it's worth, I think all away sections should be unreserved seating, then nobody can have any complaints. Sit where you want, what's wrong with that? It would also make ticket printing cheaper!

50 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I like to stand at away games but if I see there are kids aged 8/9 behind me I would never stand up in front of them.. That's just ignorant. Especially as there were in there correct seats and you were probably not??

people have to realise football fans are all different and support the team in different ways and peoples support shouldn't be judged on how loud you sing and how long you stood up for!

Let me just clear things up before people start thinking I'm some sort of monster for standing in front of kids at a football match, myself and the 2 people I was with did actually sit down with the intention and hope that they could see (however fruitless that was).

The point I was making was that, yes even though they had every right to sit in their seat, maybe it would have been prudent for the parents to make a sensible decision for their kids as their multiple requests for people to sit down were clearly falling on deaf ears.

5 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Hopefully everyone stands like every Premier League club manages to do at West Brom. Unfortunately chances of that are nearly 0 with us.

Some clubs just have a really good mentality when they are an away following, all stand and all try and make noise.. Its unfortunate this culture has never really been here at City.. A 5k away following by rights should be all stood making a ****ing hell of a noise..

It really really makes me wonder how clubs like Leeds united and the like get around this issue, there must have problems galore with there followings as they stand no matter what.. We arnt the only club that has kids and ederley in our away followings are we..

1 hour ago, Claude said:

Will never understand how someone can be happy sitting down the whole game..

You can tell the fans that go to more away games, they're usually at the back singing their hearts out. Rather than the "that's my seat" fans 

I saw nearly every game last season so go to plenty of away games and sat every week. I did all my standing when there were terraces.

Not everyone wants to stand and it doesn't make me a worse fan

20 minutes ago, bris red said:

Some clubs just have a really good mentality when they are an away following, all stand and all try and make noise.. Its unfortunate this culture has never really been here at City.. A 5k away following by rights should be all stood making a ****ing hell of a noise..

It really really makes me wonder how clubs like Leeds united and the like get around this issue, there must have problems galore with there followings as they stand no matter what.. We arnt the only club that has kids and ederley in our away followings are we..

We're strange like that - I'd say our support can be fantastic at times but it takes the right ingredients. Charlton away, 08 stands out. The demographic was a bit different, less kids and elderly naturally which helps. All stood, pyro etc - a great away day. Listen to the racket!

this one taken from the other side of the ground

37 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Let me just clear things up before people start thinking I'm some sort of monster for standing in front of kids at a football match, myself and the 2 people I was with did actually sit down with the intention and hope that they could see (however fruitless that was).

The point I was making was that, yes even though they had every right to sit in their seat, maybe it would have been prudent for the parents to make a sensible decision for their kids as their multiple requests for people to sit down were clearly falling on deaf ears.

Or any decent Adult would understand Tha there at kids sat there so they should make sure they can see.

if there were plenty of spare seats maybe everyone who was standing could have moved.

Think your point is a bit silly really. And I'm someone who likes to stand bit not at the expense of people who want to sit, you do not have a Devine right to stand up in front of people who wish to sit and then tell them to move to the front. That's very arrogant!

41 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Or any decent Adult would understand Tha there at kids sat there so they should make sure they can see.

As I did if you care to read my post again.

if there were plenty of spare seats maybe everyone who was standing could have moved.

I think if you're calling my point silly this one trumps that hands down.

Think your point is a bit silly really. And I'm someone who likes to stand bit not at the expense of people who want to sit, you do not have a Devine right to stand up in front of people who wish to sit and then tell them to move to the front. That's very arrogant!

Once again you seem to have commented without having a good read.

Have I ever said I stood up in front of them? No. 

Have I said we who wish to stand have a divine right to stand in front of people? No.

I myself have a young lad who one day I will take to the football, but when that day comes I will make sure I use my common sense and foresight and not sit where I know full well people will be standing, if for no other reason than the language that you tend to here more of up there, hence why family sections were introduced.

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:
43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We're strange like that - I'd say our support can be fantastic at times but it takes the right ingredients. Charlton away, 08 stands out. The demographic was a bit different, less kids and elderly naturally which helps. All stood, pyro etc - a great away day. Listen to the racket!

We're strange like that - I'd say our support can be fantastic at times but it takes the right ingredients. Charlton away, 08 stands out. The demographic was a bit different, less kids and elderly naturally which helps. All stood, pyro etc - a great away day. Listen to the racket!

One of the best away games I've been to, loved how everyone stood, sang and bounced around together. If I remember rightly many Charlton fans commented afterwards at how intimidating we were, better than the majority of the premier sides they recently played.

I know the game has changed a lot (definitely for the worse), but this wasn't long ago when the rules on standing was the same, so don't see any reason why this sort of atmosphere couldn't be repeated again (having a winning team helped at the time to be fair).

Like many have said, other clubs can get away with standing throughout, so why not us? I appreciate some may not be able to stand for 2 x 45 minutes or may have children with them, so my question is what did these types of demographic groups do when there was just terracing?

Unfortunately I'm not there tomorrow, so good luck to everyone, I hope you guys and gals have a great day out, with no trouble and create lots of positive atmosphere to help the lads win!

Haven't even bothered to get tickets as I'm sick of having to move seats because of selfish**** super fans who don't give a **** who's day they ruin. Old people, kids, it doesn't matter as long as they get to stand. It comes to something when you have to argue with a fellow supporter just so your kid (who's a ST holder and not a day tripper as superfan above put) can see the game. 

23 minutes ago, KingLear said:

As I did if you care to read my post again.

I think if you're calling my point silly this one trumps that hands down.

Once again you seem to have commented without having a good read.

Have I ever said I stood up in front of them? No. 

Have I said we who wish to stand have a divine right to stand in front of people? No.

I myself have a young lad who one day I will take to the football, but when that day comes I will make sure I use my common sense and foresight and not sit where I know full well people will be standing, if for no other reason than the language that you tend to here more of up there, hence why family sections were introduced.

As you will find out when you start taking your child that is easier said than done.

Coventry away last season there were groups of fans stood right at the front. Wolves away a few seasons back in top tier of Cullis stand we were 4 rows back from the front and still had 3 rows of blokes stood in front of us. Had to ask steward to find us seats which he did right at the end of the stand so both got soaked. 

You'll find out the hard way lots of fans aren't as considerate as you

7 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

As you will find out when you start taking your child that is easier said than done.

Coventry away last season there were groups of fans stood right at the front. Wolves away a few seasons back in top tier of Cullis stand we were 4 rows back from the front and still had 3 rows of blokes stood in front of us. Had to ask steward to find us seats which he did right at the end of the stand so both got soaked. 

Fair points there and I'm sure we will have a few tough trips, especially for the sell outs, but on the occasions where the full allocation hasn't been taken I'd like to think we'd be alright.

26 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Haven't even bothered to get tickets as I'm sick of having to move seats because of selfish**** super fans who don't give a **** who's day they ruin. Old people, kids, it doesn't matter as long as they get to stand. It comes to something when you have to argue with a fellow supporter just so your kid (who's a ST holder and not a day tripper as superfan above put) can see the game. 

The easy way to nip all these problems in the bud at root cause is to implement the Stoke arrangement I keep banging on about. Everyone gets what they want and in theory stops all this infighting.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The easy way to nip all these problems in the bud at root cause is to implement the Stoke arrangement I keep banging on about. Everyone gets what they want and in theory stops all this infighting.

Sounds a great idea, really really really wish more clubs would do that. 

2 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

Bolton this season there were plenty of helmets stood right at the front practically all game. Didn't interfere with my view, thankfully, but could have been pretty annoying for anyone in the few rows immediately behind them

20 hours ago, Cider red said:

You will no doubt get a few, that's my seat sit down I cant see daytrippers

Be interested to know your views when you have followed city for City years home and away and struggle with arthritis which however I sincerely hope you never have. City fans should be one happy family unitedvin supporting the team. Too many times I'm embarrassed by city supporters petty squabbles between themselves at away games 

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Quite simply one of the best away days in my years supporting city. Something like 600 sold in advance then about 2500 POTD!

Anyone else remember the ciderhead climbing the tree after the match? 

"He's Bristol City, and he's up a tree!"

30 minutes ago, Soton Red said:

Quite simply one of the best away days in my years supporting city. Something like 600 sold in advance then about 2500 POTD!

Anyone else remember the ciderhead climbing the tree after the match? 

"He's Bristol City, and he's up a tree!"

Was brilliant wasn't it - shows me that our support does have it in us to be fantastic at times. Evening games in London with a good away end definitely help (not to mention when then team was as good as it was then) but it was a special night.

15 hours ago, bris red said:

The thing about Leeds, Man Utd, West Ham etc is everyone knows the vast majority, if not all, will be standing all game as it happens every match. With Bristol City for the "less desirable" matches there is the split between those who want to stand and want to sit, which is fine when there are free spaces but when it's a sell out it is worse. This is especially so when it's a game like today, when there are a large number of fans who don't normally go to away games and are more likely to want to sit. 

I'd rather stand, shout etc but accept there is a high likelihood this won't happen today which is one of the reasons I decided not to go. 

Turned out great today. My seats were just behind goal so was tad worried there was going to be alot sitting down but needn't have worried. Standing and singing from the off. Heard a young lad, must have been about 9 or 10, stood behind me turn to his dad and say I'm loving this with us all standing. Appreciate it can't always work for everyone but thought we made a great effort today.

On 8 January 2016 at 12:41, Spoons said:

yep! Under the stand at half time was pretty tasty!

Yep remembering at fondly, never seen grown men bring it on then run for their lives as Baggies mob did. Today they were )idling in their houses til kick off, mouthy brummies are now very much the norm even Brum, the one mighty Zulus are a bag of shite these days.

21 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Turned out great today. My seats were just behind goal so was tad worried there was going to be alot sitting down but needn't have worried. Standing and singing from the off. Heard a young lad, must have been about 9 or 10, stood behind me turn to his dad and say I'm loving this with us all standing. Appreciate it can't always work for everyone but thought we made a great effort today.

Had the same. Was I standing next to you?

On 8 January 2016 at 16:12, baggie192 said:

Which United? Same rules for all they know score. Celebration of Goals not a problem but nobody does it the whole game as it 2 warnings 3rd is ejection. Same for most prem grounds and the price of the tickets it daft to do

Did you enjoy our sit where we Want with smashed up seats held up head, in all honessty you're support was diabolical, we took the piss On and off the pitch today and even the WMP thugs were clueless to do any thing.

Well that was unexpected and pretty special. Shows the atmosphere that can be generated with everyone on their feet. Would've been so, so shit compared to that if the majority were sat down. Hopefully those who are able to stand but choose to sit have changed their minds on the matter after that. 

Archived