IGNORED

Sit where you like?

Real Red

On Friday, January 08, 2016 at 19:01, KingLear said:

As I did if you care to read my post again.

I think if you're calling my point silly this one trumps that hands down.

Once again you seem to have commented without having a good read.

Have I ever said I stood up in front of them? No. 

Have I said we who wish to stand have a divine right to stand in front of people? No.

I myself have a young lad who one day I will take to the football, but when that day comes I will make sure I use my common sense and foresight and not sit where I know full well people will be standing, if for no other reason than the language that you tend to here more of up there, hence why family sections were introduced.

By the time your lad starts attending games you will also start to realise that why should you have to move into some seats which are less desirable. I've been to many away games with my 5 year old. Why should we have to sit in the first few rows just so we can watch the game?We to want to have a good view of the pitch and generally like to sit about half way up the stand. A lot of the comments in this thread is coming accross that the singer's and standers have a right to stand where they want and they have attached a self importance to themselves and if people don't like it they have to move so they can view the game. If any oneshould be moving it should be thepeople who wish to stand. I've seen grown men stand for 90 minutes in front of children without batting an eye lid. It's disgusting.

I really love our away support and the atmosphere we can create. I sometimes attend games without the children and you will see me standing but I always remain respectful to those arround me including elderly and children and those who do just want to sit. I wish more of our fans were like that. The lack of respect among some of our fans is the only thing that lets our support down. I've seen grown men shouting violently at the elderly and young children because they are not showing support for the team and it makes me so embarrassed. Everyone just needsto learn to respect everyone and realise people show their support in different ways.

On 08/01/2016 at 10:14, Real Red said:

I take it that you sit wherever at West Brom tomorrow like most away games, would it be different as it is a sell out? Otherwise our group and probably many others will be scattered everywhere as tickets were bought separately.

Managed to sit altogether yesterday as there were seats empty here and there. Just one thing on standing up at the game, saw an old guy with his family probably late 80's obviously couldn't stand up, didn't see much of the game! Sad for a no doubt life time City fan

Don't get me wrong , I absolutely love standing and would always choose it over sitting down. However my Dad has recently had operations in his leg as well as having a DVT in it so I'm not sure he appreciated having to stand for the full 90 minutes yesterday. He used to love standing as well but unfortunately it's not such a realistic option anymore , this is similar to how standing affects older fans and children

13 minutes ago, BA12RED said:

Don't get me wrong , I absolutely love standing and would always choose it over sitting down. However my Dad has recently had operations in his leg as well as having a DVT in it so I'm not sure he appreciated having to stand for the full 90 minutes yesterday. He used to love standing as well but unfortunately it's not such a realistic option anymore , this is similar to how standing affects older fans and children

Hence the reason so many have recommended the way Stoke sell tickets, I do appreciate what someone said why they should have to go right to the front just because they want/NEED to sit but surely we as fans can come to some mutual compromise, ps WE were all brilliant yesterday and I was proud to be there.

28 minutes ago, BA12RED said:

Bang on, my old man wouldn't and didn't have a problem up until a few years back, he now has heart issues and an away day he has to be very careful not to over exert himself. I'm not so keen on taking him now because of these issues. He wants to go to Fulham but I really don't feel that I can protect him from our own fans, that simply shouldn't be a sentence said in this day and age!

29 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Bang on, my old man wouldn't and didn't have a problem up until a few years back, he now has heart issues and an away day he has to be very careful not to over exert himself. I'm not so keen on taking him now because of these issues. He wants to go to Fulham but I really don't feel that I can protect him from our own fans, that simply shouldn't be a sentence said in this day and age!

Definitely mate , should be spending the afternoon enjoying the football not preoccupied about someone's health. Not a lot that can probably be done unfortunately

37 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Bit dramatic really, it's not about 'protecting from our own fans' it's about finding a compromise so everyone enjoys their day.

How difficult is it for the club to only sell tickets in say the first ten rows of an away allocation to elderly or people with young kids. Surely in this day an age it can be sorted easy enough, if those tickets then sell out then people should be warned that they are buying tickets in an area where people will probably be standing!

End of problems

I think the atmosphere is better with everyone stood but respect that not everyone can/wants to and i quite happily sit when everyone around me is aswell. What I didn't like yesterday is how some old guy a couple of rows back was hollering and pulling my shoulder telling me to sit down dispite rows in front of me we're all stood up. All this guy cared about is his veiw grow him sat down because once once I sat down his view line was clear. In my opinion this is as selfish as the people wanting to stand all game

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

How difficult is it for the club to only sell tickets in say the first ten rows of an away allocation to elderly or people with young kids. Surely in this day an age it can be sorted easy enough, if those tickets then sell out then people should be warned that they are buying tickets in an area where people will probably be standing!

End of problems

I think all away sections at grounds should be unreserved. If it holds 2,000 then just sell 2,000 tickets  - no need to allocate blocks, rows and seats. Everyone knows where they stand then (pun intended!!!). And we'd rarely sellout our allocations so it's easier to sit where you want with little chance of confrontation.

I think regular away fans would quickly get into a routine of 'sitters' from the middle down and 'standees' towards the rear.

It becomes more of a problem when we take huge followings such as yesterday and Reading

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

End of problems

But why should the elderly and people with children have to sit at the front which is often a poor view?

1 hour ago, Aipearcey said:

I think the atmosphere is better with everyone stood but respect that not everyone can/wants to and i quite happily sit when everyone around me is aswell. What I didn't like yesterday is how some old guy a couple of rows back was hollering and pulling my shoulder telling me to sit down dispite rows in front of me we're all stood up. All this guy cared about is his veiw grow him sat down because once once I sat down his view line was clear. In my opinion this is as selfish as the people wanting to stand all game

I'm not liking your arrogance. Maybe that old guy fought in the war for the very independence you enjoy today. Maybe he is unable to stand for long periods and just wants to watch a game of football. But of course you have a bigger right than him to do what you want. Bugger everyone else as long as your happy hey.

2 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

End of problems

I was in the second row yesterday and did not like it. You can't see what's going on down the other end as easy, plus see where players are in relation to the pitch. 

I agree with @Just Red , why should those who want to sit down have to have a poorer view?

7 minutes ago, Just Red said:

But why should the elderly and people with children have to sit at the front which is often a poor view?

I'm not liking your arrogance. Maybe that old guy fought in the war for the very independence you enjoy today. Maybe he is unable to stand for long periods and just wants to watch a game of football. But of course you have a bigger right than him to do what you want. Bugger everyone else as long as your happy hey.

Have you misread what I said? I will always happily sit down during a match. I do at home games and at away games, I'm not one of those who goes to the back and stands up in someone else's seat because I prefer standing. But when there's a stand full of people standing up I do not see why I should be singled out for standing up. Sorry if it sounded like arrogant but I just feel that everyone has the right to watch a match when they have all paid for a ticket

9 minutes ago, Selred said:

I was in the second row yesterday and did not like it. You can't see what's going on down the other end as easy, plus see where players are in relation to the pitch. 

I agree with @Just Red , why should those who want to sit down have to have a poorer view?

It seems those who want to stand want to be able to do that plus have the good view also. That's not what a compromise is.

4 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Have you misread what I said? I will always happily sit down during a match. I do at home games and at away games, I'm not one of those who goes to the back and stands up in someone else's seat because I prefer standing. But when there's a stand full of people standing up I do not see why I should be singled out for standing up. Sorry if it sounded like arrogant but I just feel that everyone has the right to watch a match when they have all paid for a ticket

Didn't sound arrogant at all mate. You were wrongly singled out, should've asked the bloke to swap seats with you, he'd have realised then that he'd have exactly the same problem.

2 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

End of problems

It's not just elderly or young people who want to sit. The majority at home gates are happy to sit. Even in the Atyeo where standing is allowed, approx 50% sit. 

In a perfect world there would be standing and sitting areas, clearly defined when the tickets are sold.

Id have my doubts of the current ticket offices ability to get such a complicated process right, and secondly the unfortunate reality is that untill a change in the law, clubs need to enforce seated areas remaining...well seated.

I have great sympathy with those regular away fans who are inconvenienced when there's a big game, as the "normal" self management goes out the window.

Just now, Selred said:

I was in the second row yesterday and did facilitieske it. You can't see what's going on down the other end as easy, plus see where players are in relation to the pitch. 

Why should those who want to Stand at Ag have the worst view and facilities? Works both ways

If you are in a stand you sit. If you are on a terrace you stand. Its quite simple. You have been given a seat number sit in it. How many people at Ashton Gate just go and sit anywhere?

People in the Dolman and South Stand only stand up in the furthest back row, why do these supporters who hate people who sit, like to, have to, why do they not stand or sit anywhere they like at our home games?

I'm 21 and absolutely love standing up at away games, it adds to the atmosphere and also just makes it so much better.

However my old man has had two hip replacements and sits with my nan who is 78 and follows City home and away for 60 odd years. They both find it very difficult to stand for 90 minutes, if they could, they happily would! 

My dad told me yesterday that when he asked the kids to sit down in front of him, the child's dad told him to **** off and asked how many away games he'd been to?!?! When he responded with all but 3 the guy went quiet.

How does the amount of away games or whether you stand up or not equate to being a bigger fan. 

This kind of attitude from 'fans' is ever increasing and slightly unfair because not everyone can stand up for many different reasons. 

Totally agree that the Stoke way is the best way 100%, everyone should just be respectful to eachother. We are all there for the same reason!!

1 hour ago, Just Red said:

Sitting at the front yesterday would have been a much better view than mine yesterday, we were row GG and had a paraletic dad in the row in front falling all over the place including on the people in front of him arguing with stewards. Oh yes and forgot to say he had hiss little lad with him as well  Unbelievable !

Obviously I didn't ask anyone in front of me to sit as everyone was standing. My 8 year old soldiered through and stood on his seat the entire match. My mother and misses couldn't make it though and only lasted 35 minutes at best before they sat the rest of the time. They still had a very good time and my mother was lucky to have a seat by the stairs and could peer out some. My boy and I had a lovely time and I'm all for standing. 

However it was wrong to have to punish two people who couldn't stand without pain from watching an exciting match. Especially as we had no choice in the matter. The solution? I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind a stoke type thing everywhere but eventually you get to a row where some want to stand and some sit. If I had a choice to have bought seat where you had to sit or standing I would have bought seated because I knew it wasn't going to be good for their legs and backs. As far as sitting in the front and a worse view, I don't really mind. It beats not seeing because you can't stand that long. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

It's not just elderly or young people who want to sit. The majority at home gates are happy to sit. Even in the Atyeo where standing is allowed, approx 50% sit. 

I believe 50% sit, because they have to - half of the blocks are "strictly seated" at all times. That aside, I agree the percentage of people who stand is the minority at Ashton Gate; although it could be argued that isn't fully representative of the fan base (for example I believe the "standing" area sold out quickest, some fans may wish to stand but also like the side view etc), especially away from home. 

I think the best compromise would be like Stoke and other clubs do - sell tickets for those who want to stand from the back and those who want to sit from the front. In all likelihood, and based on typical support, the "boundary" between sitting and standing will likely be 2/3-3/4 of the way up the stand. I appreciate there are those who consider the view from the front to be "poorer" but it won't work selling the tickets the other way around. 

The problem will be this will be some extra work for the club which I don't think they would appreciate and also it could be argued they will be condoning standing at away matches, which is technically against the law. 

Archived