IGNORED

Sit where you like?

Real Red

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bit dramatic really, it's not about 'protecting from our own fans' it's about finding a compromise so everyone enjoys their day.

What's dramatic is the response I've received in the past when trying to gently address this to some of the alleged super fans we have T this club. I went to Leicester away a fees years ago with a mate, it was a shocker from us on the pitch, meanwhile three rows behind us we had the standing super fans amd they were shouting at us "stand up and effing sing specky and lanky". Apparently if we don't do what they do we just get abuse.

Believe me, I'm not the dramatic one.

1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

I'm 21 and absolutely love standing up at away games, it adds to the atmosphere and also just makes it so much better.

However my old man has had two hip replacements and sits with my nan who is 78 and follows City home and away for 60 odd years. They both find it very difficult to stand for 90 minutes, if they could, they happily would! 

My dad told me yesterday that when he asked the kids to sit down in front of him, the child's dad told him to **** off and asked how many away games he'd been to?!?! When he responded with all but 3 the guy went quiet.

How does the amount of away games or whether you stand up or not equate to being a bigger fan. 

This kind of attitude from 'fans' is ever increasing and slightly unfair because not everyone can stand up for many different reasons. 

Totally agree that the Stoke way is the best way 100%, everyone should just be respectful to eachother. We are all there for the same reason!!

Case. Point.

Went with my brother yesterday, we're pretty flexible in that we'll stand or sit depending on the people around us. We prefer to stand but never complain if this isn't possible. 

Knew it was a sell out so we headed to our area (A5) just before kick off to avoid problems, we were met by a guy who said quite angrily 'no seats here mate' which annoyed me a lot. No acknowledgement that he was in our area and probably just assumed I was a 'daytripper', a polite sorry and explanation that most were standing wherever in that area would've been perfectly acceptable. Luckily there was just enough space in the row in front so we stood there. I looked behind us and people were seated, and further up people were standing..so it was standing, seated, standing!? Went back to our new area second half and it was full so we then had to find a new spot. 

For me it was annoying not having a consistent system, we clearly need more communication during ticket sales when we're likely to sell most of our allocation. 

Nonetheless still one of my favourite City games :-) 

This was the only sore point of the game for me yesterday.

Took my 4 year old daughter to her first game at Reading last week - she had an amazing time and was desperate to go back.

8 of us went yesterday and she came with us. Already had a bad feeling about it, as having read this thread we had tickets in row VV and so expected the worst.

Got to our seats at 2.30pm - 4 of our 8 seats are occupied and despite all 7 adults asking those in our seats to politely go elsewhere they simply refused. Their excuse was that their seats were being sat in by someone else and those people wouldn't move. That would be fine, expect these lads were no shrinking violets and would have been able to get those in their seats to move - they simply wanted to be at the back, and the presence of 8 people who had tickets together and a 4 year old mattered little to them.

We ended up sharing the 4 spaces between all 8 of us as trying to go elsewhere was not an option, the stewards were not interested and I didn't want to have a full blown row infront of my daughter.

Inevitably - we then had to stand for the entire game - again, something I am happy to do, but with a 4 year old - it is a tough ask. The atmosphere was great and I can appreciate the positiveness it can have on the support when all the vocal fans are together - but now and again a bit of common sense and manners wouldn't go amiss from so of our lot.

My daughter has yet to see her first city goal as she couldn't see the goals go in yesterday (even if she did enjoy being thrown up into the air when Agard's shot trickled in the corner)  - alas she will wait til another day to 'see' her first goal. What I would say is, I hope the club can find a working solution around it. No-one should not be able to enjoy an away day due to the behaviour of others - younger fans are the future of the club and had I have had the choice I would not have chosen the seats or section allocated. Driving back, she mentioned that it wasn't as good as the Reading game (quite a statement considering how awful that experience was) - but this being from her own match experience.

I have no doubt she will go again - it didn't ruin one of the best city away days in the last 20 years, but something needs to be done to allow ALL that wish to go to away games, an opportunity to enjoy it.

11 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

This was the only sore point of the game for me yesterday.

Took my 4 year old daughter to her first game at Reading last week - she had an amazing time and was desperate to go back.

8 of us went yesterday and she came with us. Already had a bad feeling about it, as having read this thread we had tickets in row VV and so expected the worst.

Got to our seats at 2.30pm - 4 of our 8 seats are occupied and despite all 7 adults asking those in our seats to politely go elsewhere they simply refused. Their excuse was that their seats were being sat in by someone else and those people wouldn't move. That would be fine, expect these lads were no shrinking violets and would have been able to get those in their seats to move - they simply wanted to be at the back, and the presence of 8 people who had tickets together and a 4 year old mattered little to them.

We ended up sharing the 4 spaces between all 8 of us as trying to go elsewhere was not an option, the stewards were not interested and I didn't want to have a full blown row infront of my daughter.

Inevitably - we then had to stand for the entire game - again, something I am happy to do, but with a 4 year old - it is a tough ask. The atmosphere was great and I can appreciate the positiveness it can have on the support when all the vocal fans are together - but now and again a bit of common sense and manners wouldn't go amiss from so of our lot.

My daughter has yet to see her first city goal as she couldn't see the goals go in yesterday (even if she did enjoy being thrown up into the air when Agard's shot trickled in the corner)  - alas she will wait til another day to 'see' her first goal. What I would say is, I hope the club can find a working solution around it. No-one should not be able to enjoy an away day due to the behaviour of others - younger fans are the future of the club and had I have had the choice I would not have chosen the seats or section allocated. Driving back, she mentioned that it wasn't as good as the Reading game (quite a statement considering how awful that experience was) - but this being from her own match experience.

I have no doubt she will go again - it didn't ruin one of the best city away days in the last 20 years, but something needs to be done to allow ALL that wish to go to away games, an opportunity to enjoy it.

Shame about that, hope she enjoyed the experience overall. sadly it'll be the same for Charlton, Fulham etc - these stories will keep on happening until the club try something else with ticketing arrangements for big allocation away games.

4 hours ago, Stoke_Gifford_Red said:

I believe 50% sit, because they have to - half of the blocks are "strictly seated" at all times. That aside, I agree the percentage of people who stand is the minority at Ashton Gate; although it could be argued that isn't fully representative of the fan base (for example I believe the "standing" area sold out quickest, some fans may wish to stand but also like the side view etc), especially away from home. 

I think the best compromise would be like Stoke and other clubs do - sell tickets for those who want to stand from the back and those who want to sit from the front. In all likelihood, and based on typical support, the "boundary" between sitting and standing will likely be 2/3-3/4 of the way up the stand. I appreciate there are those who consider the view from the front to be "poorer" but it won't work selling the tickets the other way around. 

The problem will be this will be some extra work for the club which I don't think they would appreciate and also it could be argued they will be condoning standing at away matches, which is technically against the law. 

Now someone, maybe @Blagdon red, might be able to correct me or back me up, that it is not against the law to stand at a football match. The only legislation is to do with stadia being all seater.

Can't believe Kodjia sat in someone's seat....disgraceful :P

Out of interest, do a City actually get to allocate seat by seat.  For Reading (when I phoned up) they were just allocating the next one available, there was no choice.  Is that down to a City or Reading...I don't know?

it would seem sensible to break each block of tickets into 2, start half of the batch from the top, and the second batch from half way down.  You then ask whether they want top or bottom.  That's probably too simple?  It does mean that those who don't want to stand (at the back) but still want to see depth of view, can sit halfway up.  City would need to make it clear that top tickets are for those who wouldn't be inconvenienced by those standing and that those who stand in the bottom half can rightfully be asked to sit down.

Obviously only becomes an issue where we sell out allocations.  If we only sell 400 out of 1000, common sense ought to apply....but we all, club included, know the games we are going to sell 80-100% of our allocation.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Now someone, maybe @Blagdon red, might be able to correct me or back me up, that it is not against the law to stand at a football match. The only legislation is to do with stadia being all seater.

That is correct , there is no law, the law states the ground has to have seats, but doesn't state these has to be sat on. 

The rest is really down to how strict the local council is etc. 

Archived