IGNORED

That Was For You Cotts!

Welcome To The Jungle

This one was clearly for the players.

I for one will never understand how when struggling at the bottom of the league, we just continued to knock out a 3-5-2 every week (with the one exception). It appears looking from the outside in, that we never tactically set ourselves up against teams that have better quality.  To not have any game plan other than 3-5-2 against the best in the league.  Even Charlton had a game plan against us.

Couple with the fact SC was making excuses week in week out about tiredness, lack of quality and "I cant get anymore out this group of players", was actually not the case for the playing squad.

Defo a statement made by them to their former manager.

Stevo

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

This vindicates us who wanted him out 

No it doesn't. It's a great win but cotterill also beat middlesboro.

dont know why this has turned into a SC bashing thread, can't we enjoy the result instead of trying to score imaginary internet points.

lets see who comes in first and how they do before we start talking about 'vindication'

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

No it doesn't. It's a great win but cotterill also beat middlesboro.

dont know why this has turned into a SC bashing thread, can't we enjoy the result instead of trying to score imaginary internet points.

lets see who comes in first and how they do before we start talking about 'vindication'

SC is no different to pretty much any other manager in the world of football, why? because firstly be honest who would really want to be a football manager?, stubborn of course he is and that makes him no different to the recently departed Jose or the wavering LVG, what they have in common is the belief that they are right and always will be right, Jose never changed anything and that ultimately it did for him and LVG is skipping his merry way arrogantly to being relieved of his duties at Manu, will LVG change? will he ****, it’s what in the end does for virtually every manager sacked, most are incapable of change.

That stubbornness even did for dear old SOD, because he and most managers only know one way and are ****** when it doesn’t work.

Was SL correct to sack SC, undoubtedly yes for several reasons, firstly hopefully we live in hope that perhaps this time SL might have actually learned lessons from other BCFC debacles and hopefully in the cut throat world of football has a better replacement already lined up (not holding my breath on that one, but as I say we can live in hope), secondly BCFC’s situation could not have been left to carry on much longer and thirdly he’s the owner he can do what he likes.

He’s gone let’s just hope that his replacement isn’t either the usual cheap option or the underwhelming option and on a very positive note Pemberton’s post match interview was excellent as was Smith’s and Burns all of them showing their class in their summation of SC, especially Burns whose mature/intelligent response was beyond his years and fair play to him for that.

Let’s forget the knives and move on because just like the previous successful manager he has left us in a higher league than any of the 9 others that either came before or after.

What is all this about the players rallying for Cotts? What an absolute load of horses**t! They had 20 odd games to do it for Cotts, they didn't, and he got sacked.

He won us the double and we were awesome, but in the Championship the wheels came off big style. Personally I was fuming at the constant 3-5-2 and excuse after excuse as we chucked away points against all of the sides around us.

Today was a clean slate and a willingness to tighten up at the back which should have started back in early October. Substitutes will now be used when required without referring to the watch waiting for the 83rd minute regardless of the score.

Can we drop the sentimental garbage? Time to move on.

All the best Cotts, but hope you have learned a lesson that you need to swallow the pride and do what needs to be done to stay in the Championship next time. Sometimes you have to just get some points on the board, not chuck them away a la Kevin Keegan stylie! 

Such a shame.

Well done today lads. You won that today because you had a better formation and therefore went for the win instead of being scared about that massive gaping hole at the back in the dying minutes!

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Your team, your players did you proud today. It may not have been your system or first XI, but my goodness everyone of them played with their heart on their sleeve and made Boro look average. An emotional performance to a man. 

COYR!

Just goes to show the players who he backed to the hilt arnt as bad as he made them look 

7 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

What is all this about the players rallying for Cotts? What an absolute load of horses**t! They had 20 odd games to do it for Cotts, they didn't, and he got sacked.

He won us the double and we were awesome, but in the Championship the wheels came off big style. Personally I was fuming at the constant 3-5-2 and excuse after excuse as we chucked away points against all of the sides around us.

Today was a clean slate and a willingness to tighten up at the back which should have started back in early October. Substitutes will now be used when required without referring to the watch waiting for the 83rd minute regardless of the score.

Can we drop the sentimental garbage? Time to move on.

All the best Cotts, but hope you have learned a lesson that you need to swallow the pride and do what needs to be done to stay in the Championship next time. Sometimes you have to just get some points on the board, not chuck them away a la Kevin Keegan stylie! 

Such a shame.

Well done today lads. You won that today because you had a better formation and therefore went for the win instead of being scared about that massive gaping hole at the back in the dying minutes!

Perhaps you should listen to Pembertons and Smith's and Burns interviews because they also trotted out virtually all of the excuses you mention, to explain the season so far, because they remember it's a team game.

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Your team, your players did you proud today. It may not have been your system or first XI, but my goodness everyone of them played with their heart on their sleeve and made Boro look average. An emotional performance to a man. 

COYR!

Why is it for him? Will our next league win be for him as well then? I'm sorry but it's completely unfair to take that performance & focus away from Pembo, Wade & the players today. We are all disappointed how it ended with SC but I think even he would find this a little patronising.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

in your post the one I was replying to, you like others used the word never, that is incorrect. As in " I never had sexual relations with that woman ".

Cotterill played 352 constantly and constantly we got dicked. Now i do not doubt anyone's love of City on here but if anyone is or was blind enough not to notice where our main problems were they they know absolutely nothing about football.

2 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I really hope the OP is banter?

That performance was absolutely fantastic today. The players played with freedom and a hunger i haven't seen for a long time. This was nothing to do with Cotts and how fitting that Burns scored.

Hope the boards decision will continued to be justified in the coming weeks. 

As much as I liked the man, I just know that if Cotts hadn't been removed he'd have sent us out in an ultra predictable 3-5-2; started a tired Wilbraham and kept him on when he was a passenger.  We'd probably have lost 0-4 with Albert running rampant on an exposed back 3.

Fresh, attacking formation. Fresh players involved. Faith in younger players. Timely subs.

It all gives a lie to Cotts's assertions that he had no other options available and it vindicates the board's decision. 

It was great that we remembered Cotts and I liked the placards and flags.

But now I think we have given ourselves a real chance.

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Cotterill played 352 constantly and constantly we got dicked. Now i do not doubt anyone's love of City on here but if anyone is or was blind enough not to notice where our main problems were they they know absolutely nothing about football.

You must be deliberately missing the point that Mr Pemberton made in his post match interview, he was asked " was the decision to change the system an easy one? " to which he replied " I had to think long and hard, we played this system against Derby and got hammered ", I didn't hear the word never.

One last thing if anyone thinks that a mere change to a system will bring lasting success on it's own again they know nothing about football, if only it was that easy, we would all be doing it, just ask Jose or virtually any manager ever sacked. 

This discussion is really for 6 weeks time when we will have hopefully a new manager, new players and an idea as to whether it's still working or not, for me I can't see why a team cannot change systems at various times during a game, it's not rocket science and even footballers should be able to comprehend it.

4 minutes ago, Manon said:

I fail to see how that was for cotts. In fact, there no way to make him feel worse than to end a dire run by beating the league leaders a with a magnificent performance a few days after his sacking. It vindicates the board.

Vindicates the board?, let's see who the next manager is before the blowing of smoke up their arses.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You must be deliberately missing the point that Mr Pemberton made in his post match interview, he was asked " was the decision to change the system an easy one? " to which he replied " I had to think long and hard, we played this system against Derby and got hammered ", I didn't hear the word never.

One last thing if anyone thinks that a mere change to a system will bring lasting success on it's own again they know nothing about football, if only it was that easy, we would all be doing it, just ask Jose or virtually any manager ever sacked. 

This discussion is really for 6 weeks time when we will have hopefully a new manager, new players and an idea as to whether it's still working or not, for me I can't see why a team cannot change systems at various times during a game, it's not rocket science and even footballers should be able to comprehend it.

Totally agree EMB.

Teams should be flexible...of which we didn't seem to be under SC.

If we start getting dicked every week from here on in playing this system...then it will raise other questions.

However...what Pembo did today, was not just play a different system, but dropped a tired Wilbs, and brought other fringe players in, which lets be honest, SC said he didn't really trust.

It was a brave decision.

Did Pembo actually say, that SC would be disappointed at todays result?

If so...isn't that a bit selfish on his part...and shows that he only thought about his own ideas as being right? Correct me if i'm wrong mate.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I totally agree with most of that. Any football team should have the capability to adapt given any circumstances during a game . We should also set up  away from home differently depending on  the opposition. You are being slightly pedantic picking out the Derby game. Cotterill only changed because players being rested. That system obviously worked for us in L1 against largely poor opposition but he played 352 (in the main) every week for 2 years. Being that inflexible was never going to work in the championship and the reason he paid with his job. 

I do think it's a real shame he couldn't adapt because everyone wanted him to succeed , especially after the season he gave us .

By the way, the interview i seen with Pemberton on player he said he wanted us to be more solid. I may have missed it but i never heard the words "i had to think long and hard "

33 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Absolutely bang on the money!

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I totally agree with most of that. Any football team should have the capability to adapt given any circumstances during a game . We should also set up  away from home differently depending on  the opposition. You are being slightly pedantic picking out the Derby game. Cotterill only changed because players being rested. That system obviously worked for us in L1 against largely poor opposition but he played 352 (in the main) every week for 2 years. Being that inflexible was never going to work in the championship and the reason he paid with his job. 

I do think it's a real shame he couldn't adapt because everyone wanted him to succeed , especially after the season he gave us .

By the way, the interview i seen with Pemberton on player he said he wanted us to be more solid. I may have missed it but i never heard the words "i had to think long and hard "

Then you must have heard an edited version of the full interview because he said it.

Pedantic for a reason, I just sense a lack of class with some of the comments, last season was great and this season wasn't, let's leave it there, why twist the knife?, even much maligned premiership fans rarely do that and certainly not to a manager that brought the level of success that SC did, keep that for the 9 others before and after GJ and before SC, yes 9 managers.

41 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We didn't get dicked every game though? Most games of the season we were the better team and lost/drew by small margins, i.e. Conciding late or against the run of play. 

4 games I can remember when we played poorly and deserved to lose, Reading home, Derby away, Burnley away and Rotherham away. 

Even when we lost 4-0 to Fulham at home we still seemed the better team, they had four chances and took them. We had 12 and took none. 

Each to their own opinion though! 

Archived