IGNORED

Luke Freeman

Cideriuplandlord

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I'm not saying Bobby Reid is definitely good enough for this level. Yesterday his first half was poor but second half he did the simple things better than anyone else does. Personally I feel he's the best person to have in front of pack and smith. They all link up much more than when Freeman is playing. His second half was much better. He has to surely be the better option than Freeman at this moment. He's the only player we have who constantly looks for the through ball. 

Didn't do very well with the simple pass to Wilbs though did he, when he was completely unmarked 8 yds out. Criminal. Thought Wilbs was gonna chin him.

11 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Agreed, thought he was completely out of his depth first half and for me showed why he has been nowhere near a starting regular. Poor touches, poor decisions with his passing and lightweight. 

Second half looked better but still far from convinced. Think the 'academy product' label does him a lot of favours with the fans that wouldn't be afforded to a player we brought in externally. 

The main difference is there is an energy and quickness about his play yes it doesn't always come off but give me someone like that all the time over someone like Freeman.

2 hours ago, samo II said:

The thing is; the system we were playing, there was only ever space to play either Reid or Freeman - in other system, you can play both.

If we played the 4231 from yesterday again, Reid could retain his role or move to the right of the attacking 3 with Freeman in the centre, or indeed Freeman could end up on the left, with Reid in the middle.

With wing backs, your limited as to who can play out wide or centrally, due to the need for that stable base of 2 holding players - we've more freedom when not bound to it, even with the limited options we have.

Good analysis @samo II - there was a good post started by @spudski (pains he to say it - only joking spud) on a similar theme.

The 352 for all its flexibility on the pitch, with Ayling bringing the ball out, wing backs high up the pitch etc, probably restricted flexibility in who could play in certain positions, and probably made recruitment difficult.  How many times were we linked with a player and we are all saying "can't see he'd fit in" or "he ain't better than X" etc.

All of a sudden, the 433, 451, 4231 (whichever it really was, or perhaps all three during a single game) may give us better flexibility recruitment wise....and better coverage for the small squad we have, until we do bring in some alternatives.

viva la systeme!

8 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Didn't do very well with the simple pass to Wilbs though did he, when he was completely unmarked 8 yds out. Criminal. Thought Wilbs was gonna chin him.

Haha I was so furious and bemused, the difference between Freeman and Reid is Reid passes or shoots as soon as possible whilst Freeman dribbles when it's really not appropriate. I'll let him off this time because he won and took the corner for the goal.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Criminal". Behave.

Did ok in assisting the goal though didn't he (Flint's header was going in whether Burns touched it or not)?

Well maybe not in the literal sense, but he had a couple of opportunities to make the pass and appeared to prefer the glory route, failing abjectly. As for the corner , as corners go it was very nice. 

BR was part of an 11 that restricted the league leaders to next to nothing yesterday. He was part of a side that kept a clean sheet and put an end to their almost 10 game clean sheet streak. He also put in most of the dead balls that caused any sort of panic in the boro defence unlike JBs free kicks and corners. He did this on the back of almost no game time this entire season in a formation that we have not played this season. After all this a few on here have deemed him our worst player yesterday and someone who isn't champ standard. Yea this is definitely OTIB. 

Remember that freeman has been playing all season long and has done nothing to warrant a guaranteed start in a side that has been beaten pillar to post most of the season but is deemed more usefull that BR, when he has hardly had a chance.

17 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yes will be interesting where the new man sees lukes role. I really think there is a lot more to come from freeman.

He has ability for sure can see him wide left. Still think he's on an upward curve.

And to be fair burns and reid have been written off on here as not championship standard many times.

(I know one swallow)

But at least when freeman is fit again he will know he's not first name on the team sheet.

Just a hunch  but can see freeman having a big say on our survival !!

To slightly go back on my earlier post. It would be worth seeing him in a 4-4-2 on the right wing with Ayling behind him. 

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good analysis @samo II - there was a good post started by @spudski (pains he to say it - only joking spud) on a similar theme.

The 352 for all its flexibility on the pitch, with Ayling bringing the ball out, wing backs high up the pitch etc, probably restricted flexibility in who could play in certain positions, and probably made recruitment difficult.  How many times were we linked with a player and we are all saying "can't see he'd fit in" or "he ain't better than X" etc.

All of a sudden, the 433, 451, 4231 (whichever it really was, or perhaps all three during a single game) may give us better flexibility recruitment wise....and better coverage for the small squad we have, until we do bring in some alternatives.

viva la systeme!

3 5 2 originated with Catenaccio I believe which is the Italian for clamp or bolt.  It was designed to snuff out opposition and counter attack.  It therefore had little flexibility.  More modern versions such as Chile are very attacking but they benefit from having Sanchez as a striker and Vidal as the attacking CM.  They're mobile intelligent and energetic players who swap positions continuously and cause problems.  We're not like that as the 3 we've played in the attacking positions simply don't have all of those attributes.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Freeman will benefit from the break and competition for his place.

Look what playing an out-of-form player week-in, week-out did to Fontaine. 

Whatever you think of LF,  he covers a lot of ground, and was in need of another rest, injured or not.

Spot on Robbo.  It was mystifying that SC couldn't see this.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

3 5 2 originated with Catenaccio I believe which is the Italian for clamp or bolt.  It was designed to snuff out opposition and counter attack.  It therefore had little flexibility.  More modern versions such as Chile are very attacking but they benefit from having Sanchez as a striker and Vidal as the attacking CM.  They're mobile intelligent and energetic players who swap positions continuously and cause problems.  We're not like that as the 3 we've played in the attacking positions simply don't have all of those attributes.

Good analysis. Basically I think 352 works when you are simply better than the opposition which we were in league one. And now in the championship we are not.

13 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Good analysis. Basically I think 352 works when you are simply better than the opposition which we were in league one. And now in the championship we are not.

In simple terms you are spot on 

Idea is that when dominant it provides great angles and options.

Great Importance on wing backs in terms of quality and cover 

But most important is that you are good enough and have a squad (!) deep enough to be able to implement it at the level you are - exactly what you say ;)

Archived