IGNORED

Credit Where It Is Due: Spudski Was Right...

Jack Dawe

1 hour ago, ashtonphil said:

I agree but Spudski makes a big deal out of it by having COACH in his avatar. It appears we have to bow down to his "supposed greatness!!"

I'm sure you and I both know when someone's having a  'mare and needs to come off

Apologies fella...wasn't meant to come across that way.

Although I did FA badges many moons ago... football coaching and scouting is now an unpaid passion...

'COACH' is what I get called every day in my paid job...another sport...hope that clarifies...no offence intended.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Although I did FA badges many moons ago... football coaching and scouting is now an unpaid passion...

'COACH' is what I get called every day in my paid job...another sport...hope that clarifies...no offence intended.

Do you work for National Express?

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haha...very kind JD...did make me chuckle.

However...it's only one game...we shall see  ;-)

SC won L1 playing 352....so it has it's place.

But like EVERYONE has said before...it's knowing when to change things that matters.

Only SC will know why he refused to. It will be interesting to see what he does in his next appointment.

I'm just glad fans are feeling positive again...football is such a fickle and passionate game...as we see on here every day.

Love this forum and the people on it...even the one's I don't agree with...for me, it's not about being right, it's about sharing and discussing, because we all have one thing in common....a passion for BCFC.

Why is it that everyone seems to have forgotten that SC did change his formation, at Derby, and looked what happened then?

For what it's worth, I think formations get far too much notice.  I've never seen us play 3-5-2 for example.  The problem SC had was that the players at his disposal are generally lower Championship players with Lge 1 subs.  Hence goals conceded in final minutes...

Why Cotterill didn't strengthen over summer is a complete mystery to me.  I suspect it is a result of Mr SL's purse strings despite what he says publically.  I will be first in line for SC's autobiography.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

I think with the personnel we have everyone knew it wasn't working bar one person, Cotts was given plenty of time to sort it out (and rightly so) but ultimately due to his stubbornness he left SL with no option, yesterday proved that the players are good enough, at a lower level last year the system worked perfectly but at this much higher level we were just getting found out game after game after game without a hint that SC had any intention of changing the system, SC had been fantastic for us and gave us our best season for nearly 40 years so deserves our full appreciation, I felt a lot of sympathy for him last night because that was his team on the pitch that put in that wonderful performance, I feel that if only he wasn't so stubborn and changed the system 2 or 3 months ago we would now be half way up the league and SC would still be our manager

Which is a complete puzzle as to why he didn't do it..clearly,he's a stubborn man-christ nows I can be at times,but to persist with a failing system,knowing full well it just ain't working and then to carry on doing that same thing????..was all of this maybe to make a point??......did he want to take us down to make that point??......I think he was so damn angry with the board he allowed that to dominate him.its the only conclusion I can come to.a very sad tale.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don't think anyone needed a coaching qualification to see we were getting battered playing 352 

True , but I honestly don't think it was the system, but how we played the system.

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haha...very kind JD...did make me chuckle.

However...it's only one game...we shall see  ;-)

SC won L1 playing 352....so it has it's place.

But like EVERYONE has said before...it's knowing when to change things that matters.

Only SC will know why he refused to. It will be interesting to see what he does in his next appointment.

I'm just glad fans are feeling positive again...football is such a fickle and passionate game...as we see on here every day.

Love this forum and the people on it...even the one's I don't agree with...for me, it's not about being right, it's about sharing and discussing, because we all have one thing in common....a passion for BCFC.

Precisely , I was trying to remember (and failing) a few years back, I think maybe Villa or Newcastle, played a back 3.In an interview the manager and a defender explained how they played the 3. Their take on it  (it was probably before football started in 92) , was to keep the 3 back at all times. It was a very solid formation but you still had scope to use width and get plenty of men forward. Our failing came with the success of it last year, gung ho worked. The team was that much better than the rest of the division we would have been promoted playing any system.

Fast forward to a vastly superior Championship and we were found out very quickly, it was obvious from the early games and EVERYONE could see it. Cott's big problem was his inability to adapt.  One dabble with a different formation at Derby, where we could have expected to get beaten anyway, then back to plan A. Hardly learning and evolving is it? Cott's did brilliantly last year but this year? It just wasn't working, even he said so ! That moment was the equivalent of the John Ward "I don't know what else to do" moment.We have a team good enough to stay up, and this year that's all we need, or can hope for. Then with the proper next choice of manager , start a real rebuilding program. The right manager could change attitudes towards us and encourage players to join.

@spudski totally agree , just being linked with Pearson, and the win yesterday has lifted the whole feel around the place. I hope the board take the opportunity to push on, even if it wasn't what was in the original plan.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

No offence, just a bit of humour with the picture. I always appreciate your comments on here. You're a very knowledgeable person in all walks of life that you do. More than I can say for myself. 

images (2).jpe

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

...only one game, I know, but he kept banging on (and bloody on) about Cotts and his 3-5-2 system. And not playing so and so, etc, etc. If only Cotts had listened to him.

Maybe our spud's more in the know than we thought?

Uhhhhhhhhh hummmm, not the only one other being drum on about it since the start of the season and playing Burns may I add. ;-)

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Why is it that everyone seems to have forgotten that SC did change his formation, at Derby, and looked what happened then?

For what it's worth, I think formations get far too much notice.  I've never seen us play 3-5-2 for example.  The problem SC had was that the players at his disposal are generally lower Championship players with Lge 1 subs.  Hence goals conceded in final minutes...

Why Cotterill didn't strengthen over summer is a complete mystery to me.  I suspect it is a result of Mr SL's purse strings despite what he says publically.  I will be first in line for SC's autobiography.

Cotterill threw the Derby game . :surrender: Nowhere near a clear indication.

Gary Johnson said that you get the first game "free" as a manager you nearly always win it.

The trick though is maintaining (buzz words alert) intensity and focus over a much longer period.

Playing a back four and a fluid 5 in midfield in front of them will undoubtedly make us harder to play through and by definition score against, though...

50 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

No offence, just a bit of humour with the picture. I always appreciate your comments on here. You're a very knowledgeable person in all walks of life that you do. More than I can say for myself. 

images (2).jpe

You're not far off with that pic mate...this is me in training and this is what I coach. I often feel like a spud though ;-)

iski.jpg

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

You're not far off with that pic mate...this is me in training and this is what I coach. I often feel like a spud though ;-)

iski.jpg

Blue? Always had a suspicion you were a sag when you were supporting SOD :P

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

iski.jpg

Okay spuds, probably not the right forum to ask you, do we have any young up and coming skiers who could win us a medal or 2 in the coming winter Olympics? I know they have improved in the last few years, this must be down to better coaching ;)

2 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Okay spuds, probably not the right forum to ask you, do we have any young up and coming skiers who could win us a medal or 2 in the coming winter Olympics? I know they have improved in the last few years, this must be down to better coaching ;)

We have a few...but mostly in freestyle skiing....or snowboarding. Bristol's own Jenny Jones for example.

Dave Ryding finished 16th today in the Wengen Slalom...incredible considering he grew up learning on Dry slopes in the UK.

Problem with most sports...money and politics.

We have some real talent...but it costs a fortune to coach, train and travel for developing skiers.

Plus it's a minority sport in the UK, so sponsorship is hard to get.

We've had many fall away down to costs...even though they were more talented than others from 'well off' countries.

Chemmy Alcott could have been a world beater if she had had more resources available to her and more luck with injuries.

I regularly watch young kids, ski to school with their back packs on, go to school on the hill, then get high end training every afternoon after school.

If English kids had that on tap, I'm sure we'd fair better...but you need rich parents and sponsers to put you through those schools...such a shame.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Still on the snow plough turns then.... honestly!!

A term hardly used these day's fella...it's now often called a 'Pizza' as the shape of the skis resemble a pizza slice.

Straight skis are 'French fries'...kids seem to understand it better...go figure.

Hence the green runs are full of parents shouting at kids to 'pizza instead of French fries'...truly odd to most newcomers ;-)

The trouble is that unless your'e SAF, every manager will eventually fail and it will down to 2 things stubbornness and ego, even RobboRed knew that.

I have already made my prediction on another thread, which I will repeat  

Whoever SL appoints and whatever success or lack of success that choice has in his time with BCFC, when that person is sacked, we will have threads saying, it's his own fault he was far too stubborn, it's pretty much why all managers get sacked, even more so if they have ever had any success with a particular system but then it's usually more about ego than it is about stubbornness.

So you heard it here first JackDawe, please remember that for 2 years time or 4 years if we take the RR equation.

10 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

We almost beat a Premier League outfit last week using 3-5-2. One set piece defended and we'd have won.

Small margins.

I don't think the formation was the main problem at all.

It really was the formation for me, constantly opened up due to so much space on a consistent basis. WBA could've put the game to bed in the first half if they were more clinical

Reading was a prime example, the amount of space they had on the counter was obscene and if Vydra could've actually finished chances it would've been a hiding.

Cotterills stubbornness played a huge part in the 4 wins from 27 or whatever it was... he didn't  change it up and paid the price for that

1 minute ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

It really was the formation for me, constantly opened up due to so much space on a consistent basis. WBA could've put the game to bed in the first half if they were more clinical

Reading was a prime example, the amount of space they had on the counter was obscene and if Vydra could've actually finished chances it would've been a hiding.

Cotterills stubbornness played a huge part in the 4 wins from 27 or whatever it was... he didn't  change it up and paid the price for that

It was the players at his disposal, imo. He probably was a bit too stubborn but he'd proven it could work to great success, and it probably would have done again, had he brought in his targets.

It was a fresh start yesterday and it seems a team more often than not gets a bit of momentum after a manager leaves. If we continue to play 4-3-3 and we're a completely different team with the same players, maybe it will prove SC should have changed it. We'll have to wait and see. Let's not forget we also beat Boro away playing the 3-5-2!

I'd say the resources SC had and his stubbornness over playing Wilbraham/Freeman as much as possible, even when it wasn't benefitting them, were far bigger factors than the formation alone. The formation worked absolute wonders last season.

6 hours ago, spudski said:

iski.jpg

Looks like you're playing as a lone striker Spudski with not much support from midfield..

11 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

...only one game, I know, but he kept banging on (and bloody on) about Cotts and his 3-5-2 system. And not playing so and so, etc, etc. If only Cotts had listened to him.

Maybe our spud's more in the know than we thought?

On 18/08/2015 at 22:39, Scrumpy said:

A flat back four beckons.

Three at the back, until we can establish a full squad.

Playing three at the back is a big risk in this league. You've got to be pretty ******* good - and although we are working towards it, we aren't good enough to play such a formation on the long run..... As of yet.

As we're waving dicks about :thumbsup:

Shouldn't have played 3 at the back from the off.

12 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

There was a lot of fans with La-La machines on because of what was achieved the previous season. You can't dine out on last season ever when it comes to football. It is a ruthless business and when cracks start to appear and it gets brushed under the carpet by the majority because of last season then those who can see the writing on the wall start to become increasingly frustrated by the blanket blinkered masses and start to repeat themselves in a desperate attempt to try and kick start a revolt and save their club from repeating the same mistakes. 

The timing of the dismissal is awful. It should have been done months ago. 

I'm with Spudski. I am sick to the back teeth of seeing my club build momentum and then continually jump straight on the sword.

Months ago? We're only 5 months into the season

Archived