IGNORED

Credit Where It Is Due: Spudski Was Right...

Jack Dawe

...only one game, I know, but he kept banging on (and bloody on) about Cotts and his 3-5-2 system. And not playing so and so, etc, etc. If only Cotts had listened to him.

Maybe our spud's more in the know than we thought?

I do agree the formation definitely helped us, I made the comment to my mate yesterday that if we were playing 3-5-2 we'd have probably been done on the counter.

But as good as yesterday was let's not get carried away. The statistically worst manager in our history even had us as a solid outfit for a period of games, with wins over Forest, Barnsley, Middlesbrough and Watford at home, as well as a solid 0-0 against Brighton. Couldn't last though and we reverted to our usual selves again.

7 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

...only one game, I know, but he kept banging on (and bloody on) about Cotts and his 3-5-2 system. And not playing so and so, etc, etc. If only Cotts had listened to him.

To be honest most people with a coaching qualification know how to effect games, how to set up a team and how to make adjustments, substitutes etc.

It's the ability to do it at the right time that makes them a good/great coach.

And yes I do have a coaching qualification before you ask

I think with the personnel we have everyone knew it wasn't working bar one person, Cotts was given plenty of time to sort it out (and rightly so) but ultimately due to his stubbornness he left SL with no option, yesterday proved that the players are good enough, at a lower level last year the system worked perfectly but at this much higher level we were just getting found out game after game after game without a hint that SC had any intention of changing the system, SC had been fantastic for us and gave us our best season for nearly 40 years so deserves our full appreciation, I felt a lot of sympathy for him last night because that was his team on the pitch that put in that wonderful performance, I feel that if only he wasn't so stubborn and changed the system 2 or 3 months ago we would now be half way up the league and SC would still be our manager

10 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

To be honest most people with a coaching qualification know how to effect games, how to set up a team and how to make adjustments, substitutes etc.

You don't need a coaching qualification to understand footballing tactics. Football isn't a complicated game.

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

You don't need a coaching qualification to understand footballing tactics. Football isn't a complicated game.

I agree but Spudski makes a big deal out of it by having COACH in his avatar. It appears we have to bow down to his "supposed greatness!!"

I'm sure you and I both know when someone's having a  'mare and needs to come off

He wasn't the only one banging on about it!

I still don't understand why so many fans just buried their heads in the sand because of last season?! 

It was evident very early on that the Championship clubs had done their homework is on us, but he just point blank refused to change things, and instead blamed it on the ref, acts of God, and anything else. He said back at the end of September after conceding in injury time that he was going to get the lads back in on Monday to "put it right in training", and yet we kept on conceding late on. We looked great going forward but worryingly wide open at the back and were punished time and time again. The lack of substitutions when the game was crying out a change ended up with us throwing away points. What was he writing on that note pad, because nothing ever changed?! I saw it as complete footballing suicide and was flabbergasted to see such nonchalance from a manager that I pretty much worshipped for a season and a half.

SC contributed heavily to his own downfall and I will never understand it? I also don't understand the fan "love-in" because we have been going down for months, and it has been so blindingly obvious. If it had been anyone else in charge we would have been going nuts long before. Agree the board didn't help over the summer and if he would have got the signings he wanted then he might have been able to play sexy football, but s**t happens and you have to make the best job you can with the tools you have got. Instead he threw the teddies out of the pram and was taking us straight back down as a result. Unbelievable Jeff.

12 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

Clearly, "the right time" was months ago. And @spudski was banging on about this, months ago. Others might've been too, but no-one bangs on about this quite like the lad, spud. 

I think many agree that the right time was probably after either the Rotherham defeat or the Burnley one.... However it is at times disrespectful to be so blatant in your criticism /hatred of someone that it can become a bit repetitive and then others just switch off , which many did with his comments.

22 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

I don't think anyone needed a coaching qualification to see we were getting battered playing 352 

2 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

I think many agree that the right time was probably after either the Rotherham defeat or the Burnley one.... However it is at times disrespectful to be so blatant in your criticism /hatred of someone that it can become a bit repetitive and then others just swith off , which many did with his comments.

There was a lot of fans with La-La machines on because of what was achieved the previous season. You can't dine out on last season ever when it comes to football. It is a ruthless business and when cracks start to appear and it gets brushed under the carpet by the majority because of last season then those who can see the writing on the wall start to become increasingly frustrated by the blanket blinkered masses and start to repeat themselves in a desperate attempt to try and kick start a revolt and save their club from repeating the same mistakes. 

The timing of the dismissal is awful. It should have been done months ago. 

I'm with Spudski. I am sick to the back teeth of seeing my club build momentum and then continually jump straight on the sword.

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

There was a lot of fans with La-La machines on because of what was achieved the previous season. You can't dine out on last season ever when it comes to football. It is a ruthless business and when cracks start to appear and it gets brushed under the carpet by the majority because of last season then those who can see the writing on the wall start to become increasingly frustrated by the blanket blinkered masses and start to repeat themselves in a desperate attempt to try and kick start a revolt and save their club from repeating the same mistakes. 

I'm with Spudski. I am sick to the back teeth of seeing my club build momentum and then continually jump straight on the sword.

Top post

12 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

I think the entire world could see that we made so many problems for ourselves with 352. It was obvious after about 3 games that it's fine when you have the best squad in the league, and suicide when you don't have the quality. 

All good teams are built on keeping goals out, something we just haven't been able to do all season, with the formation largely the reason IMO.

Just now, harrys said:

I think with the personnel we have everyone knew it wasn't working bar one person, Cotts was given plenty of time to sort it out (and rightly so) but ultimately due to his stubbornness he left SL with no option, yesterday proved that the players are good enough, at a lower level last year the system worked perfectly but at this much higher level we were just getting found out game after game after game without a hint that SC had any intention of changing the system, SC had been fantastic for us and gave us our best season for nearly 40 years so deserves our full appreciation, I felt a lot of sympathy for him last night because that was his team on the pitch that put in that wonderful performance, I feel that if only he wasn't so stubborn and changed the system 2 or 3 months ago we would now be half way up the league and SC would still be our manager

this is what I don't understand about our season so far. Cotts said at the end of last season" we will take a look see what formation works Next season and get the players in to fit" this never happened?

11 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

100% right, It's a major failing within elements associated with the club.  One swallow and all that but if ever you want an perfect example yesterday was it.

26 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

I think many agree that the right time was probably after either the Rotherham defeat or the Burnley one.... However it is at times disrespectful to be so blatant in your criticism /hatred of someone that it can become a bit repetitive and then others just switch off , which many did with his comments.

Don't let this stop you giving just a tiny bit of credit where it's due though, if you'd like to....

We have only played one game with the different formation so let's wait and see. We  all know a change of manager often leads to a short term bounce. I think there was a lot of emotion in the squad around SC leaving and maybe it was this which contributed to the lift in the performance?

We are very short of cover at FB so it won't be easy to shuffle the pack and keep four at the back. 

I was glad to see Wes start as we definitely should have given him more of a chance before. However let's see how well this works away from home before getting carried away.

5 minutes ago, Tales From The Front said:

100% right, It's a major failing within elements associated with the club.  One swallow and all that but if ever you want an perfect example yesterday was it.

The way things are going, one swallow will make a summer before we know it

6 minutes ago, hay dens party said:

this is what I don't understand about our season so far. Cotts said at the end of last season" we will take a look see what formation works Next season and get the players in to fit" this never happened?

I only ever heard him say that he'd wavered about changing the formation before the Forest gamein October. He stuck with it, we put in our best performance and result of the season, and that was the end of the argument as far he was concerned. 

Correct me if I am wrong, as I have no coaching qualifications, but surely the sign of a good coach is being able to adapt the formation during a game,  if the formation they start with isn't working.  I presume they would do this by making tactical subs and relaying this info via the sub to the rest of the team and discussing the changes at HT.  I know SC only had a limited squad, but who's fault is this?  His or the boards, or both, we will never know.   As we all know, he didn't seem to want to use subs until the very last minutes, which had no effect on the shape or the game whatsoever and barring injuries,  when we were losing.  I agree with Spudski and have told him so in the match day thread.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Haha...very kind JD...did make me chuckle.

However...it's only one game...we shall see  ;-)

SC won L1 playing 352....so it has it's place.

But like EVERYONE has said before...it's knowing when to change things that matters.

Only SC will know why he refused to. It will be interesting to see what he does in his next appointment.

I'm just glad fans are feeling positive again...football is such a fickle and passionate game...as we see on here every day.

Love this forum and the people on it...even the one's I don't agree with...for me, it's not about being right, it's about sharing and discussing, because we all have one thing in common....a passion for BCFC.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haha...very kind JD...did make me chuckle.

However...it's only one game...we shall see  ;-)

SC won L1 playing 352....so it has it's place.

But like EVERYONE has said before...it's knowing when to change things that matters.

Only SC will know why he refused to. It will be interesting to see what he does in his next appointment.

I'm just glad fans are feeling positive again...football is such a fickle and passionate game...as we see on here every day.

Love this forum and the people on it...even the one's I don't agree with...for me, it's not about being right, it's about sharing and discussing, because we all have one thing in common....a passion for BCFC.

;)

Archived