IGNORED

Stuart Pearce

supercidered

Interesting one this.  I said in this thread or another thread, that Pearce wasn't for me.  I base this on my recollection of his record / performance.  Having said that I always like listening to him, tonight on TS being a case in point.  He's pretty honest.  But is the way he comes across a reason to hire him? Nope!  On that account is his prior record the way to measure him?  Possibly / Probably - but you also have to take into account the circumstances he was managing under.  A bit like considering Cotts win ratio at basket-case clubs like Forest (mmmmm, that club again) and Portsmouth.  For Pearce, the Man City he managed wasn't the same Manchester City of today, albeit you'd expect him to have done better there.  His record at u21s was pretty impressive, let down by not getting over the big hurdles in tournament football (mmmmm, where gave we heard that before Senior side!).  Ignore Great Britain....PR stunt as hosts.  Then onto Forest....the breeding ground for our managers.  He started well there, with Assombolongo banging in the goals until his injury, which coincided with a drop in form, and ultimately his sacking.  But we know Firest aren't the most stable club, who knows what constraints they were under in his time.

I'm still not convinced, but not totally against his appointment....mainly because I'll get behind ALMOST anyone they appoint.

Could there be some merits in the way he worked with younger players for the u21s being a fit for us in terms of being able to work / recruit u24s?  Possibly.  Perhaps he manages the younger element better than a dressing room of senior pros?  His playing background would give him kudos, for a while at least.

Not trying to change anyone's view, least of all mine...just trying to weigh up why he's popular at the bookies, and if we did decide to bring him in, why that might be.  If they really do have interviews these days, perhaps if he's one that is, he might be the one who interviewed the best.

Just trying to avoid the obvious;

- he was shit at Forest

- he was shit at Man City

type stuff.

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Ummm one good performance doth not survival make?

Agreed, I would suggest that it's two decent performances though, and considering we have played League leaders and Premiership side, that's acceptable. If the right man is not available, and things are going OK, why rush to change things? I struggle to understand the logic behind a rushed appointment that may not be right longer term.  Just support them, it may just be what we need right now,

Pearce has a terrible record as a manager but I can see why he might be considered:

1) He would be Head Coach here rather than manager, the Board may think he'd do better in this  set-up

2) He's good with young players after managing England under-21's

It would be a gamble, but he might be in with a chance depending on the ability of the other candidates.

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

He was asked on Talksport this morning - as reported several post ago on this thread.

1. Do you think he is necessarily going to tell the truth on national radio?

2. The interview was at 4pm last night so something could have easily happened in the meantime.

17 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

1. Do you think he is necessarily going to tell the truth on national radio?

2. The interview was at 4pm last night so something could have easily happened in the meantime.

The interview sounded more like a please come and get me one. But I would imagine if they wanted him they would of sounded him out by now, especially as he's been the bookies favourite. Not like they would have just forgot about him.

Archived