IGNORED

Stuart Pearce

supercidered

3 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Ridiculously risky... It cracks me up how after one decent performance against boro some people think he can carry us to safety? 

I have a feeling he's going to be appointed as well.. nothing against the guy personally but he's no where near what we're looking for.

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

I have a feeling he's going to be appointed as well.. nothing against the guy personally but he's no where near what we're looking for.

I don't think the club will be that silly, they know that the cheap option will send the club into utter melt down should they fail.... Now's the time for a change of direction from the club!! now or never!!

38 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Surely that's too risky. Experience is vital for our position. And lets face it if we didn't win against Boro would you still want him til the end of the season?

Define risky though? Surely appointing someone from the outside who's never worked with these players is just as/if not more risky. Pembo has been in relegation scraps before so he can draw on his own experiences. The fact is we are being linked with people like Pearce or Monk. What's the difference between Monk and Wade Elliot, if we give him the job right now, in 6 months time? For me appointing someone like Pearce or Monk is as risky if not more risky than giving it to someone who's seen these players every day for the last couple of years. If we had played like that and lost against Boro I would've said fair play Pembo has changed the formation played players who were deemed surplus to requirements by SC and put in a great shift vs top of the league. But we didn't, we won. And played a new formation that Pembo chose and it seems to suit us perfectly. Giving Pembo the job IMO is the least risky option to choose. Because there aren't too many people out there that I think would do that much better of a job for the rest of the season. 

10 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Define risky though? Surely appointing someone from the outside who's never worked with these players is just as/if not more risky. Pembo has been in relegation scraps before so he can draw on his own experiences. The fact is we are being linked with people like Pearce or Monk. What's the difference between Monk and Wade Elliot, if we give him the job right now, in 6 months time? For me appointing someone like Pearce or Monk is as risky if not more risky than giving it to someone who's seen these players every day for the last couple of years. If we had played like that and lost against Boro I would've said fair play Pembo has changed the formation played players who were deemed surplus to requirements by SC and put in a great shift vs top of the league. But we didn't, we won. And played a new formation that Pembo chose and it seems to suit us perfectly. Giving Pembo the job IMO is the least risky option to choose. Because there aren't too many people out there that I think would do that much better of a job for the rest of the season. 

Spot on, I think. If we can get the likes of Pearson or Moyes we should jump at the chance, but I can see much more risk going for the Pearces, Monks and Appletons of this world over Pembo and Wade.

38 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Surely that's too risky. Experience is vital for our position. And lets face it if we didn't win against Boro would you still want him til the end of the season?

I'm not advocating Pembo, but experience doesn't always bring success. Available experienced managers are available because they were sacked by their previous club. Burton took a risk with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and it paid off. 

Pembo has so far shown me he has big balls, ain't afraid of showing something different, is doing what us the fans have wanted for a long time, bringing in Burns and a few academy lads into the squad. 

Making a couple good signings, maybe already in place before Cotts left but got them sorted. He also stands in the dugout with a smile on his face

last coaches to use that many academy lads in his team was Tony Fawthrop n Dave Burnside and those days I really enjoyed watching City

1 hour ago, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

Why do football types always refer to "the football club?" What's wrong with "them", or "the club?"

It seems as everyone likes to copy the scousers as they have always said it but over the last couple of years I have noticed most pundits now say it. Might well be down to having ex scouse players/mangers now doing punditry and others just following and thinking its a new term that sounds good. Me personally thinks it sounds stupid unless coming from a scouser........

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I'm struggling to comprehend the point in that post?

Pretty simple, "until the end of the season" has a habit of ending suddenly if temporary managers start losing a few games, as has just happened at Swansea.

If we lost the next 3 do you honestly think there would be many "give him the rest of the season" posts on here?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty simple, "until the end of the season" has a habit of ending suddenly if temporary managers start losing a few games, as has just happened at Swansea.

If we lost the next 3 do you honestly think there would be many "give him the rest of the season" posts on here?

No not at all. But there aren't many right now either? But then again if Monk came in and lost the next 3 would there be many "Monk is the man" posts? You can apply the same to any possible person coming in. But I don't think Pemberton will lose the next 3 and I think if he is appointed he'll also keep us up. Mainly down to the teams around us being even shitter than we are.

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Pearce no longer favourite with skybet. Pembo now fav and Warnock also shortening up again. Sounds like the bookies know as much as we do!!

Bookies themselves don't know anything - the odds they offer only reflect the opinions of punters like you and me.

Put £1m on Dopey Daryl and you'll find he'd be favourite very quickly....

2 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

I don't think the club will be that silly, they know that the cheap option will send the club into utter melt down should they fail.... Now's the time for a change of direction from the club!! now or never!!

Last time we were in a similar predicament we brought in a new manager we still went down. I don't necessarily think a new manager will necessarily give us a better chance of promotion. Whoever would come in wouldn't have much scope for new players as he wouldn't really know where the squad needs strengthening.

I don't believe under Cotts we were that far off other than his refusal to change from 352 and his seemed stubbornness over players who he felt would improve the squad.

Now Pembo has already changed the formation and is looking to bolster squad numbers so I say why not give him a chance?

If things go pear shaped over the next 2 or 3 games then look to change things if need be and get a new manager in.

14 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

No not at all. But there aren't many right now either? But then again if Monk came in and lost the next 3 would there be many "Monk is the man" posts? You can apply the same to any possible person coming in. But I don't think Pemberton will lose the next 3 and I think if he is appointed he'll also keep us up. Mainly down to the teams around us being even shitter than we are.

Actually there seem to be quite a few on the Pembo thread..

The second point is pretty odd, if we make a permanent appointment now of say Monk or Clarke, no sane person is going to think 3 games later "let's change it again". Something very similar happened with Gary Johnson who won his first game then he lost eight or nine but I think the consensus then was give him the time to sort it out.

That's what you do when you make a permanent appointment.

I like Pemberton and hope we keep him as a member of the coaching staff but saying "give him the rest of the season" on the basis of one win is really nonsense.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Actually there seem to be quite a few on the Pembo thread..

The second point is pretty odd, if we make a permanent appointment now of say Monk or Clarke, no sane person is going to think 3 games later "let's change it again". Something very similar happened with Gary Johnson who won his first game then he lost eight or nine but I think the consensus then was give him the time to sort it out.

That's what you do when you make a permanent appointment.

I like Pemberton and hope we keep him as a member of the coaching staff but saying "give him the rest of the season" on the basis of one win is really nonsense.

I'm not saying that after 3 games we should change them I'm saying that the support for that person would clearly waver. The same with Pemberton. You seem quite clearly keen on not having him as our manager for the end of the season, what are you basing that on? What's he done/not done that's annoyed you? 

1 hour ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Last time we were in a similar predicament we brought in a new manager we still went down. I don't necessarily think a new manager will necessarily give us a better chance of promotion. Whoever would come in wouldn't have much scope for new players as he wouldn't really know where the squad needs strengthening.

I don't believe under Cotts we were that far off other than his refusal to change from 352 and his seemed stubbornness over players who he felt would improve the squad.

Now Pembo has already changed the formation and is looking to bolster squad numbers so I say why not give him a chance?

If things go pear shaped over the next 2 or 3 games then look to change things if need be and get a new manager in.

I understand what your saying but don't you think we should have more of a plan instead of waiting for Pembo to fail in 2-3 games time?

1 minute ago, 'keepuplino' said:

I understand what your saying but don't you think we should have more of a plan instead of waiting for Pembo to fail in 2-3 games time?

For our current predicament though what plan can we now put in place? A new manager asap is not guarantee of success anymore than keeping Pembo is.

I think the club has a plan of meeting the urgent need to get more players in while at the same time look at who is available and interested in the manager/head coach role, whatever people want to call it, full time. If we can attract a manager of the stature were after now then great. If not we stick with Pembo and Wade.

That sounds like a plan to me

4 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Struggling to understand a lot in this thread. Things are going better, so we have to have a big name or an outside manager. Just leave well alone and focus on survival, and I'm quite sure that will not lead to plagues of locusts or the World imploding.

Ummm one good performance doth not survival make?

Archived