IGNORED

A 1Million bid gone in for Dack

rockinrobin

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Which may well negate the need to bring in another AM in Roofe in January.

I didn't say that. I simply commented that he would be cheaper than Dack.

I agree Gladwin and Roofe are both goalscoring AM's not known for their defensive work. I would 100% like to see us bring in Roofe as well as Gladwin but fear we probably won't with Gladwin on board - though can we extend his 3 month loan until the end of the season? If not, there there is certainly a case that we need to bring in another creative/goalscoring midfielder.

I think it's an emergency loan of 93 days - not sure if it can be extended but that would include up to all but 3 games I think. 

Is it any wonder he may not be keen. We don't actually have a manager! 

Lansdown or or whoever should've made a beeline for either Warnock, Pearson or someone of similar ilk who would be a draw to potential new signings. 

Ridiculous that were allegedly doing "due diligence" on 30 odd applicants, when we should be approaching who we wanted within 24 hours of Cotts sacking. 

Personally I'd of offered warnock at 6 month deal to get us out the mess with a view to longer. This type of manager would attract the players required in both short and long term. 

Cant blame Dack. 

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Which may well negate the need to bring in another AM in Roofe in January.

I didn't say that. I simply commented that he would be cheaper than Dack.

I agree Gladwin and Roofe are both goalscoring AM's not known for their defensive work. I would 100% like to see us bring in Roofe as well as Gladwin but fear we probably won't with Gladwin on board - though can we extend his 3 month loan until the end of the season? If not, there there is certainly a case that we need to bring in another creative/goalscoring midfielder.

The os says that Gladwin's loan starts on Friday so that he can play all of our remaining games bar the last against QPR which he wouldn't be allowed to play in anyway. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

The os says that Gladwin's loan starts on Friday so that he can play all of our remaining games bar the last against QPR which he wouldn't be allowed to play in anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Thought I read somewhere that Gladwin's loan will start this Friday and the 93 days will cover right up until the end of the season?

Result!

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Did you hear that? It was the women of Bristol doing a collective sigh of relief. 

Haha very good fordy, on footballing terms very disappointing as a truly fantastic prospect who would be great for us! I have heard he's a bit naughty off the pitch

As we have Gladwin on board until the end of the season (or near enough) why couldn't we sign Roofe now and loan him back to Oxford for the rest of this season?

SL stated that we should be looking at lower league players with a sell-on value and Roofe, if he can make the step up, would seem a logical choice on that basis.

As for Dack is he worth 1.25/1.5 million? Never in a million years. Anything over 1 million is a punt too far for me. But I'm not in charge of finances so have no idea what our cut off limit is. I'd be concerned if we were to push the boat out for him though. A lot of our players looked more than capable of stepping up from L1 to the Championship last season but have struggled to adapt. Who can guarantee that Dack, or Roofe for that matter, can cut it in a higher league? At least with Roofe we wouldn't be shelling out massively over the odds for unproven talent. Time to move on from Dack and by signing Gladwin on loan, I'd suggest we probably have.

I don't see what benefit there is in a short term appointment of someone like Warnock either. Why would a player sign for a manager whose contract expires at the end of the season and not sign now? They'd possibly be in the same boat in either scenario when a new manager/HC was appointed.

12 minutes ago, WjF said:

As we have Gladwin on board until the end of the season (or near enough) why couldn't we sign Roofe now and loan him back to Oxford for the rest of this season?

SL stated that we should be looking at lower league players with a sell-on value and Roofe, if he can make the step up, would seem a logical choice on that basis.

As for Dack is he worth 1.25/1.5 million? Never in a million years. Anything over 1 million is a punt too far for me. But I'm not in charge of finances so have no idea what our cut off limit is. I'd be concerned if we were to push the boat out for him though. A lot of our players looked more than capable of stepping up from L1 to the Championship last season but have struggled to adapt. Who can guarantee that Dack, or Roofe for that matter, can cut it in a higher league? At least with Roofe we wouldn't be shelling out massively over the odds for unproven talent. Time to move on from Dack and by signing Gladwin on loan, I'd suggest we probably have.

I don't see what benefit there is in a short term appointment of someone like Warnock either. Why would a player sign for a manager whose contract expires at the end of the season and not sign now? They'd possibly be in the same boat in either scenario when a new manager/HC was appointed.

Can I ask how many times you've seen Dack play or what reason you think he isn't worth £1.25 mill?

Do you think Oxford would except less than a million for Roofe?

15 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

Big time Charlie who may be way out of his depth at this league , too many of the young lads nowadays begin to believe the hype surrounding them .

Bit unfair to knock the bloke, maybe he is looking at the table and thinking Gillingham could be in a higher league to City next season.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Bit unfair to knock the bloke, maybe he is looking at the table and thinking Gillingham could be in a higher league to City next season.

Maybe , we are a much bigger club though , he would attract more interest here if he was to progress like he thinks he can .

5 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Can I ask how many times you've seen Dack play or what reason you think he isn't worth £1.25 mill?

Do you think Oxford would except less than a million for Roofe?

I've only seen him against City and on highlights so I've not got that good an idea of his overall game but no, I don't believe he's worth over a million. He's unproven at this level but if our 'scouting network' says he is worth that or more then that's what they're paid to determine not me. If they/club agree that he's worth a bid of 1.25/1.5 million then so be it, it's not my money.

I'd be surprised if we offered anythin like a million for Roofe. If that's the ballpark figure Oxford are looking for then I'd leave it there.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

He will move to us if the money and terms are right - he can't expect a move to a much bigger club and he may miss the boat.  All this press talk means jack.

In honesty it did come from his manager who could potentially be trying to keep sides away from him 

7 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

Maybe , we are a much bigger club though , he would attract more interest here if he was to progress like he thinks he can .

But we wouldn't be knocking Kodjia if he said no to a Aston Villa or a struggling Prem league team.

All the people having a go at Gillingham's valuation of Dack, last season in January how many people would have been happy if a club had signed Freeman, Flint or Smith for £1m? Can guarantee people would have been saying £2m plus for them if championship clubs had been interested highlighting Ali's fee to Spurs. 

14 minutes ago, hodge said:

All the people having a go at Gillingham's valuation of Dack, last season in January how many people would have been happy if a club had signed Freeman, Flint or Smith for £1m? Can guarantee people would have been saying £2m plus for them if championship clubs had been interested highlighting Ali's fee to Spurs. 

Get your point, but don't you think thats why we are more suspicious of that sort of asking price? I wouldn't be shock or particularly annoyed if we got offered 1m for Freeman or Flint now having actually seen them in the Championship. Smith would be different but thats because he's proving himself in this division now. 

21 minutes ago, hodge said:

They might.  But they wouldn't have expected it.

I'm still laughing from the sale of David Cotterill.

As the window progresses and teams/managers/chairmen/supporters get more desperate, clubs with assets like Dack and Roofe can sit back and wait. If they are contracted beyond the summer and continue to produce in the latter part of the season, they may well both  contribute to promotions and increase in value, so £1/£2M may look a bargain in August. That's the gamble!!

24 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Get your point, but don't you think thats why we are more suspicious of that sort of asking price? I wouldn't be shock or particularly annoyed if we got offered 1m for Freeman or Flint now having actually seen them in the Championship. Smith would be different but thats because he's proving himself in this division now. 

You can't count having watched them in the championship as this is about this time last season. Dack has scored something like 20 goals from midfield in the last season and a half, if we had someone who could do that we'd have wanted a lot more than £1m for them.

Archived