IGNORED

Try picking the team now... not easy

reddogkev

My God, all of a sudden it seems we've got a strong squad.

Who would your team be for Saturday?

Places for Scott and Tomlin right away?

And if FF is fit again (which I have no idea about), who do we play in goal?

Will we stick with 4 -5 - 1?

So many options and choices, feels like supporting a totally different team!

It's great to see some competition at last, although I feel we still need a defensive midfielder and a striker by 11pm on Tuesday.

For me:

ROD (assuming FF not fit)

Little (no real choices)

Pearce

Baker

Golbourne

Smith

Pack

Tomlin

Burns

Kodjia

Bryan

Subs:  O'Leary, Flint, Williams, Gladwin, Freeman, Agard, Wilbraham

9 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

4-3-3

ROD

Little (Ayling injured apparently)
Flint
Baker
Golbourne

Smith
Pack
Tomlin

Gladwin / Bryan
Kodjia
Burns

Subs: O'leary, Pearce, Williams, Gladwin / Bryan, Freeman, Agard, Wilbs.

That's not the team I expect, but it's definitely one I'd like to see.

Well done, Kotsy, only one brave enough to select a team - I'd probably make a few twists to your eleven.  Gladwin in the place of Tomlin, Tomlin on the bench, and Freeman in the spot of Bryan.

Our bench now looks far too strong!

Any other takers?

12 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

4-3-3

ROD

Little (Ayling injured apparently)
Flint
Baker
Golbourne

Smith
Pack
Tomlin

Gladwin / Bryan
Kodjia
Burns

Subs: O'leary, Pearce, Williams, Gladwin / Bryan, Freeman, Agard, Wilbs.

That's not the team I expect, but it's definitely one I'd like to see.

Pretty sure Tomlin is a striker, isn't he?

Nice to have a few more quality options elsewhere but I still think we're lacking the 3 main positions we've been missing all season - a younger Aaron Wilbraham, a pacey finisher (although hopefully Kodjia can get his scoring boots back on soon) and another holding midfielder.

At the moment I'd say our best team looks something like this:

O'Donnell;
Little, Flint, Baker, Golbourne;
Gladwin, Pack, Smith;
Tomlin, Kodjia, Bryan

5 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

ROD
Little Baker Flint Golbourne
Gladwin Smith
Burns Tomlin Freeman
Kodjia

Subs
O'Leary
Bryan
Pearce
Pack 
Agard
Wagstaff/Wilbraham
Williams

I like that team.

Defensively, should we be looking to fit Pearce in the fold? 

Maybe he's a better shout than Baker? 

Or now perhaps we could actually do the Championship standard version of 3-5-2 with the below team

R'OD

Baker    Flint   Pearce

Ayling                    Golbourne

Gladwin Smith Freeman

Tomlin

Kodjia

Gladwin not a midfielder, especially in a two. Same with Tomlin.  

O'Donnell
Ayling.   Pearce.   Baker.    Golbourne
               Smith.    Pack
    Gladwin.   Tomlin.    Bryan
                     Kodjia

Subs: Fielding, Flint, Little, Reid, Freeman, Wilbraham, Burns

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

O'Donnell
               Smith.    Pack
                     Kodjia

In my opinion, swap Bryan for Freeman, and I reckon that team looks top drawer.

31 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Bye bye Pack and Williams. Thanks, but now we move on.

Harsh on both I think.  Williams is scarcely older than Reid or Burns.  He's far from perfect but he's young and I think he'll learn.  We could use a defensive midfielder for sure but Pack's still got a role to play in the squad.  And, as others have said, we've not actually signed anyone to replace him.

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Harsh on both I think.  Williams is scarcely older than Reid or Burns.  He's far from perfect but he's young and I think he'll learn.  We could use a defensive midfielder for sure but Pack's still got a role to play in the squad.  And, as others have said, we've not actually signed anyone to replace him.

Based on when I have been able to see Williams (mainly Cotts first season, a few times last year and about 3 or 4 times this season) I used to think he would go on to be a low end prem defender, defensively he was one of the best things about 13/14, think he even won one of the club awards. More recently I think I over estimated him but think he will become a solid championship defender. He is still very young and can improve a lot

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah but I think Ive already realised how ridiculous it would be. 

Shtanley, do you have a vested interest in our youth system (honest question and not intended to cause offense or be an accusation in any way)?

I might be mistaken but most of the time I see a post from you you are championing a player that has come through our youth system.

19 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

ROD

Little Flint Pearce Goldbourne

Smith

Gladwin Tomlin Bryan

Freeman

Kodjia

It'd be interesting but I'm not convinced.  I think (though I'm not certain) Gladwin has played on the left or centre for not the right whilst I think Smith is a bit too box-to-box to work as a holding midfielder.  I don't think sitting in front of the defence plays to his strengths.  I also think Tomlin and Freeman would get in each other's way a bit.  There might be a way to play both behind Kodjia but I think you'd need a couple of solid midfielders behind them to prevent us from getting over-run...

50 minutes ago, RedDave said:

O'Donnell
               Smith.    Pack
                     Kodjia

I doubt it will happen, but this is close to what I would see as a side to start getting us out of the mire - with the possible qualification, of course, that there may just be a further signing to come (which I hope is the case, because the one position we haven't strengthened yet is arguably the one that is the biggest cause for concern. That's to say an out-and-out forward, as opposed to attacking midfielders who can play up front at a push.) The arrival of Matt Smith, for instance, could cause a rethink of the above.

Another consideration is that we now know Ayling is having a cartilage op and is out for 4 - 6 weeks. That's a considerable loss, but for me it's softened by the fact that Mark Little will probably get the nod to replace him. He divides opinions, but remember what he did for us last season. We have seen so little of him (no pun intended) this season, partly due to injuries, that we don't really know what he can do at this level, but I would like to see him get a run in the side to bring him up to full match fitness. He might be found out defensively, but I do like what he brings to the side attacking-wise. He is a beast of a player, very physically powerful, who forces his way past defenders not with any sublety but through sheer brute strength. He can put the wind up defences with his very direct approach and opposing teams often doubled up on him last year because he was seen as such a threat. He is a very determined player and I think, given a chance, he'll make a difference. 

Flint needs a rest (as Pemberton has commented, which might be a diplomatic way of saying something slightly different), so I would also agree with the selection of Pearce, who I have a feeling will prove to be a handy acquisition alongside Baker. Two holding players offering protection in front of the back four makes sense: many teams do this now and it should help maintain the tighter look to the side that we've seen lately. The attacking trio ahead of them looks potentially exciting. I personally think there is almost nothing to choose between Bryan and Freeman (though they are different types) and would be happy to see either player on the left of a three, and there would also be the option to push Tomlin further forward to play alongside Kodjia if circumstances require that.

So, a good balance between defence and attack and the flexibility to adjust things if necessary during the game without upsetting the shape of the side significantly. The new signings make a huge difference: it would have been impossible to field a side with those characteristics a week ago - and still have a strong bench. This is the most hopeful I've felt since the lousy result against Rotherham before Christmas. Finally, some things are getting done.

I still think people completely writing off Freeman are wrong, he's a very talented player who's lost confidence playing in a bottom 3 team the past few months. 

Possibly playing a new 4231 position where he will play left hand side of an attacking 3, with new better quality players around him will only help. I expect to see Tomlin, Freeman, Gladwin and Bryan to mainly contest those 3 places with Burns coming in occasionally too. In time Reid will be pushed out the squad 

Archived