IGNORED

Wes Burns

Londoner

Doesn't help that he keeps asked to do different roles

Had one of those days today but I think we all expect a substitute to make an immediate and positive impact

Not that simple to slot into a game at this level that's already flowing , get into the pace of game and find your touch quickly 

28 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Pack was hideously bad through tout the start of the season and he's Ben getting 90'minutes in a pivotal position

I really don't see what Pack did in the early part of the season to be dubbed 'hideously bad'. I just don't get it. 

Lucky to still be at the club? What?

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I really don't see what Pack did in the early part of the season to be dubbed 'hideously bad'. I just don't get it. 

Lucky to still be at the club? What?

Got ta back @YorkshireSection here in the first part at least

Pack was awful IMO in early part of season if I'm honest 

Under SC thought his lack of pace was exposed and his 40-50 yard balls sailing over the head of wing backs drove me bonkers and he looked way off Championship Standard IMO

Perhaps no coincidence that change of role makes him look a completely different player at times.

Has played very well under JP / WE and delighted to see it

2 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Today not good. Last week man of the match against Prem opposition. Week before that got the better of Adomah and scored the winner against the best side in the league. Give him a break.

It's not a question of giving him a break.  I gave my opinion of his performance today, which was awful.  What I said today was true - he's done nothing to enhance his claims to a first team place. When you are a fringe player, you've got to take your chance when it comes.

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It's not a question of giving him a break.  I gave my opinion of his performance today, which was awful.  What I said today was true - he's done nothing to enhance his claims to a first team place. When you are a fringe player, you've got to take your chance when it comes.

Which he has done in nearly all of his appearances to date..

1 hour ago, Honiton Tony said:

I am sure it will help his game if we all rip him apart on here

Behave Tony. He was rubbish today. Admittedly Pembo might couch it in slightly friendlier terms at training on Monday but there's no escaping the fact he was very, very, poor.  If the derision thrown his way from the stands today didn't hit home, I'm fairly sure some words on a screen won't affect him too much. 

Shows how fickle this forum is.a saviour one week and get rid the next.he was awful today but has changed several games as a sub in his short career.no wonder managers are frightened to play youngsters when they have a bad 25 mins and have this reaction!!may well need loan time but I'm sure in a year or two will be a valuable squad member

12 hours ago, RedM said:

Not himself today for sure. I'd say he needs time more than people saying he can't be trusted to play. Not sure where he is going to get that game time from though, maybe he does need another loan spell as Bobby Reid seemed to have benefited, although not yet the finished product.

We've all had bad days at work, but I doubt if many of us have 15,000 pairs if eyes watching us and all the (social) media reports too.

Sorry, but speaking generally one shouldn't be in this or any other professional sport if you can't handle that sort of pressure.

35 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

One mistake led to another led to another, obviously a confidence player.

The crowds reaction was extremely unhelpful particularly the pair of idiots behind me singing '**** off Wes Burns' over and over.

Unfortunately , the position we currently find ourselves doesn't allow for such inept individual performances whether it be burns or any other player.

47 minutes ago, biggythecity said:

Shows how fickle this forum is.a saviour one week and get rid the next.he was awful today but has changed several games as a sub in his short career.no wonder managers are frightened to play youngsters when they have a bad 25 mins and have this reaction!!may well need loan time but I'm sure in a year or two will be a valuable squad member

It's not really the forum being fickle, the people commenting on him today, aren't necessarily the same who were discussing him last week. 

I do agree that he had a bad day today, and that it was probably more noticeable because of the attention he has been getting over the last couple of weeks, but I think he's got a great future with us. 

I like Wes and on his day he is a dangerous guy to have in the lineup, however when its not his day I think the thing that suffers most is his end product. Its not quite as consistent as we need.....currently. When we work it so we get in behind the defence we need to make sure we capitalise on that at this level. Maybe its unfair on the lad as he sees himself more as a striker than a winger, who knows.

I think we tend to side with Wes when deciding on selection (starts or subs) because of his pace - which is a great asset. However I think maybe we need to look more at quality end product. I was surprised Gladwin didn't come on instead of Wes and I would go for Gladwin next game if we are in a similar situation.

Obviously getting in behind is more dangerous generally, but if Gladwin delivers a quality ball from deep on a constant basis then maybe we don't always need to get in behind with pace.

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Behave Tony. He was rubbish today. Admittedly Pembo might couch it in slightly friendlier terms at training on Monday but there's no escaping the fact he was very, very, poor.  If the derision thrown his way from the stands today didn't hit home, I'm fairly sure some words on a screen won't affect him too much. 

Wes will know that he had an off day and a good manager will do his best to help him forget it and move on. I'm sure Pemberton and Elliott will know how to keep help him keep his confidence and it will not include any slagging.

In my opinion, all of the Academy products are probably trying a bit too hard to do things right. They certainly need to relax a touch and will find that their performances and execution improve.

But with the side in the bottom three, that is much easier said than done. They are all very talented footballers but it's difficult to put old heads on young shoulders especially at a time like this. 

48 minutes ago, bemmyredjeff said:

Unfortunately , the position we currently find ourselves doesn't allow for such inept individual performances whether it be burns or any other player.

He was a liability unfortunately. Little played a beautifully weighted ball to him over the shoulder of his left back and he proceeded under very little pressure to slice the ball into row z. He then passed the ball to their winger in a very good position and only some Very good defending saved a goal against. Between him and the ref we were playing against 13. Last time he played that badly he was loaned soon after, and that was after scoring a last minute winner v Colchester, think that might happen again if he puts in another display like that, 

1 hour ago, redfieldred said:

He was a liability unfortunately. Little played a beautifully weighted ball to him over the shoulder of his left back and he proceeded under very little pressure to slice the ball into row z. He then passed the ball to their winger in a very good position and only some Very good defending saved a goal against. Between him and the ref we were playing against 13. Last time he played that badly he was loaned soon after, and that was after scoring a last minute winner v Colchester, think that might happen again if he puts in another display like that, 

I mean it was bordering on sunder league standard, in fact it was probably worse than the majority it. Would be annoyed, but not suprised if he features next week.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Wes will know that he had an off day and a good manager will do his best to help him forget it and move on. I'm sure Pemberton and Elliott will know how to keep help him keep his confidence and it will not include any slagging.

In my opinion, all of the Academy products are probably trying a bit too hard to do things right. They certainly need to relax a touch and will find that their performances and execution improve.

But with the side in the bottom three, that is much easier said than done. They are all very talented footballers but it's difficult to put old heads on young shoulders especially at a time like this. 

Blimey - What a sensible post !

Every word 

:clapping:

4 hours ago, bemmyredjeff said:

Sorry, but speaking generally one shouldn't be in this or any other professional sport if you can't handle that sort of pressure.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but maybe he and the club is still learning if he can.

3 minutes ago, Forza Revolution said:

Needs to realise he hasn't had a career / achieved a great deal yet and stay level headed. No good becoming a big shot with nothing to back it up. Keep working hard and head down 

In fairness - where is the slightest shred of evidence or indication even that he has become a 'big shot' ? 

Hasn't achieved a great deal ?

Played professional football including championship and represented his country.

Think I'd swap most things I've ever 'achieved' with either of those !!!!!!

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In fairness - where is the slightest shred of evidence or indication even that he has become a 'big shot' ? 

Exactly.  Yesterday seemed like a young player struggling for form where, if anything, the first mistake sapped his confidence and it went downhill from there.  Him feeling he is a 'big shot' doesn't come into it at all. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Exactly.  Yesterday seemed like a young player struggling for form where, if anything, the first mistake sapped his confidence and it went downhill from there.  Him feeling he is a 'big shot' doesn't come into it at all. 

Thought his interviews recently have shown how sensible and down to earth he is

Hate these accusations with not even a shred of evidence or foundation :grr:

Archived