IGNORED

LJ Official Three and a half year deal

Nibor

13 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Nothing to do with him, as I said on the match day thread and got lots of likes!

If you don't think that a new manager/ head coach coming in has no effect  on the team regardless of whether they pick the team or tactics thats pretty naive. I like that we're keeping Pembs and Wade they know the players and the youth set-up.
Sensible way of doing it.
As for keeping them in control until the end of the season whats the point? the board then start all over again (recruitment process) and we'd have missed another or a lot of the summer transfer window.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

And then what?

As SL doesn't want another manager then Pembs is a well respected and qualified coach with a lot more experience than Lee, if he kept us up then offer him a new contract as Head Coach. It's not rocket science is it Spudski?  If Lee is here just to do what he is told, as has been quoted on this forum , what is the point of another yes man, we already have two, who have taken 4 points from the last few games and got us out of the relegation zone.  This is just my opinion of course, but probably you will shoot it down in flames as you do with lot's of other opinions, as I believe you are a very experienced coach,  

4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

As SL doesn't want another manager then Pembs is a well respected and qualified coach with a lot more experience than Lee, if he kept us up then offer him a new contract as Head Coach. It's not rocket science is it Spudski?  If Lee is here just to do what he is told, as has been quoted on this forum , what is the point of another yes man, we already have two, who have taken 4 points from the last few games and got us out of the relegation zone.  This is just my opinion of course, but probably you will shoot it down in flames as you do with lot's of other opinions, as I believe you are a very experienced coach,  

Not at all fella...you are entitled to your opinion...that's cool :-) However...I don't understand where this term 'Yes man' comes into place.

The Club were looking for a head coach...someone to work with Pemberton and Wade. The managerial side of the football clubs first team will be dealt with by MA and a DoF.

The Club obviously feel LJ is the right fit, for the blueprint the Club wish to follow.

There is no point bringing in a Manager/Coach who doesn't agree to this...is there?

All that happens is disharmony...which is what happened eventually with SC.

LJ can bring in fresh ideas, that the Club feel would compliment the already present backroom staff.

9 minutes ago, twodogs said:

If you don't think that a new manager/ head coach coming in has no effect  on the team regardless of whether they pick the team or tactics thats pretty naive. I like that we're keeping Pembs and Wade they know the players and the youth set-up.
Sensible way of doing it.
As for keeping them in control until the end of the season whats the point? the board then start all over again (recruitment process) and we'd have missed another or a lot of the summer transfer window.

Lee had nothing to do with todays team pick or the training since SC was sacked, I would have thought that was clear, so apart from sitting in the stand, and the players knowing he was arriving as Head Coach ,had a minimum effect on the players today.  Why don't you see my posts in the match day thread when lots of posters agreed with me. I am not going to repeat it all again for anyone who just doesn't want to understand.

Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Lee had nothing to do with todays team pick or the training since SC was sacked, I would have thought that was clear, so apart from sitting in the stand, and the players knowing he was arriving as Head Coach ,had a minimum effect on the players today.  Why don't you see my posts in the match day thread when lots of posters agreed with me. I am not going to repeat it all again for anyone who just doesn't want to understand.

Easy Tiger. I'll go and have a read. As for tactics etc I didnt say that he did any of that However you see it pretty much every time a manager is appointed sacked etc it always has an effect and usually positive.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not at all fella...you are entitled to your opinion...that's cool :-) However...I don't understand where this term 'Yes man' comes into place.

The Club were looking for a head coach...someone to work with Pemberton and Wade. The managerial side of the football clubs first team will be dealt with by MA and a DoF.

The Club obviously feel LJ is the right fit, for the blueprint the Club wish to follow.

There is no point bringing in a Manager/Coach who doesn't agree to this...is there?

All that happens is disharmony...which is what happened eventually with SC.

LJ can bring in fresh ideas, that the Club feel would compliment the already present backroom staff.

But were not the fresh ideals already there with Pembs and Elliott and they seem to be working thus far, don't they? Nobody can argue with that, can they?  The defence is tighter and not conceding stupid goals, we only lack a goal scorer, which I am sure will be addressed soon as the loan window opens, even LF was playing with a lot of confidence today.  The signs of improvement are already there and only when LJ takes over and we start winning more games and playing better football can it be proved that he was needed.   We will see what happens,  I want him to succeed, as we all do,  but we will just have to wait and see.

Is it not just a matter of "there's no pleasing some people"?

( P.s. the old - "I'd love to be proved wrong but etc etc" is probably the biggest BS we ever read on here. Experience tells us that no one likes to be proved wrong particularly when they've condemned a decision before a ball has been kicked )

6 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Such a bad sequence of events since last summer topped off with this.

I really think I would have preferred Dopey Daryl!

How about you go and support the gash then? 

Probably the most brave and forward thinking decision this board has made. Quote me on it in a couple of years.

He will grow with the club. Cotts sadly was a one trick pony, and hormonal to boot by all accounts. Loved what he did for us, but only a blind cyclops couldn't  see his time was up.

Inspired choice in my opinion - who would you rather.......colin??...........or maybe David Moyes.........hahaha......David Moyes coming to BCFC. :laugh:

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We weren't promised anything, just told that we would be surprised at the applicants for the job.

As for the job itself....the position being advertised was for a HEAD COACH....which presumably ruled out Pearson, Warnock and any other big names we were linked with. The Board and in particular the Investor or whatever title he gives himself these days want a yes man basically. I could be wrong but it seems to me we were down to Johnson or Monk and for whatever reason they have given it to Johnson. Perhaps Monk isn't enough of a yes man for the Investors liking?

Anyway, we have Johnson here now and anything but giving the lad full support would be pathetic from our supporters. You don't have to agree with the appointment and you might well be saying "I told you so" in a few months time but at least give LJ the benefit of your support until such times that it is clear he cannot do the job. We might be surprised !!!

As for the Board and Investor..................total mis-management from start to finish and they won't get an ounce of respect or support from me.

I said " thought " we were promised , not promised . 

5 hours ago, Nibor said:

It's reality.  You have been to a football match haven't you?  You'll have more luck eradicating swearing than eradicating unfair opinions.

The point is everybody with a clue knows this, so why doesn't Ashton?

What reality is that? To ask the man if he's ever been to a football match is a joke.

The reality is Johnson knows what he's coming to do you think he has no ideal that some of our fan base could turn on him in an instant if things don't start well?  As we all know he's heard it all before and managed somehow between the boos and abuse to get through 200 plus games for us, so I don't think a few 100 giving him shit will bother the man.

So weather you and many others like this appointment or not now makes no difference (apart from on here)

iv no ideal if this is the man to take us to the dreamland but in fairness nor do you, chances are he maybe not but saying he's not the man for the job because some of our fans hold grudges against him from 8,9,10  years ago is quite frankly shite.

Anyway 34yo manager with passion or billy big bollocks coming down to change our club around again who might fancy one last big payday ?

For me it's give the lad a chance.

Good Luck to Lee, can't wait to see him get stuck into the role and enjoy the finish to the season.

Today's win has made his job just that little bit easier!

Let the good times roll.

A son should always surpass the efforts of his father, so there's only one thing for LJ to do for us, and I back him to do it.

37 minutes ago, suckiemystumpie said:

How about you go and support the gash then? 

Probably the most brave and forward thinking decision this board has made. Quote me on it in a couple of years.

He will grow with the club. Cotts sadly was a one trick pony, and hormonal to boot by all accounts. Loved what he did for us, but only a blind cyclops couldn't  see his time was up.

Inspired choice in my opinion - who would you rather.......colin??...........or maybe David Moyes.........hahaha......David Moyes coming to BCFC. :laugh:

Support the "gash"? As you referred to them. Not really.

When I started supporting the City they were just " the rovers". So 60+ years of mainly uninspiring football following this lot and nothing much changes.

LJ  would not be my choice and although, tongue in cheek, reference to dopey was because he has had more success, albeit at Conference level.

No, I would have left it with JP & WE until the end of season.

But he's here now so good luck to him and hope he's an inspired choice as you suggest.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I understand the situation is VERY real Bill. I just don't understand why. In my opinion, it's petty. If anyone is thinking of jeering the new manager if we fail to win his first two games then I'd prefer they didn't come. 

As said, I wasn't all for Cotterill, but I never whispered a single word of negativity at the match. It's not for the greater good. Anyone that does so is damaging their club. 

People who say they will either boo/ jeer him if we don't win the first couple of games are a joke , please don't bother coming , what's the point? 

To be honest looking at the match threads once I get back from games it's obvious some of the loudest moaners aren't even at the games, home and away, most of their opinions taken from radio commentary or highlights , can't take it seriously.

I am trying so hard to think of this in a positive light, I really am .... maybe we have unearthed a gem, maybe he's going to prove a lot of people wrong, maybe this is a great fit.

i listened to the SL and MA interviews....I'm really not convinced. SL talks of his great record (win ratio is not great) and that he saved Oldham and Barnsley, and yes that's great... But we sacked a manager who won us the league and cup double in L1 to replace him with one of our most inexperienced managers ever, who helped a couple of sides survive in L1...

in one interview SL talks of premier league, in the next he talks about impressive managers that survive in L1..

Maybe his knack for helping clubs survive is just what we need right now....so why give him a 3.5 year contract. 

As I have said on other threads I will support the team 100% anyway, but this forum is all about opinion..

if he had not been an ex player would we have gone for him? I think not...and our record with ex players at the helm is not great...

but this could be the one, he could be our Brendan Rodgers....

or will he walk away with a big payout halfway through his contract. 

Huge gamble.....

Lost the ability to act rationally.

Only played, what, just over 100 matches as a player, most for Southend of all places. Five years as an assistant manager. Only 33 years old. No direct managerial responsibility at all, not won a thing as manager, or achieved anything. 

We must have been completely mad. 

In 1967.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I like most of your post, but the bit above is a myth.  The squad he inherited at Barnsley had a mere 4 (yes 4) first team regulars left from the previous season, and needed to be rebuilt with virtually zero money.

No, your idea that he inherited just four first team regulars, that's the myth. 

Davies, Bree, Nyatanga, Smith, Scowen, Hourihane, Winnall. 

All regulars before and after he arrived. And he 'chose' to release Milan Lalkovic (now smashing it up at Walsall), Martin Cranie and sell Luke Berry. I appreciate you're searching for positives with LJ, and there are some, but don't lie. His best players in the 11 months he spent here were players already here and Adam Hammill who was brought back by the owner/board. His recruits were appalling, save for one or two. His tactics were appalling, save for the last few weeks where his entire 'footballing philosophy' as he called it was ripped up completely and we went to 4-4-2 and stopped pissing about with the ball between defenders. 

I like Lee, I've spent time in his company, I do believe there's a good coach in there and he talks a very good game. I wish him luck at your place. But his time here was good, then indifferent, then ok, then beyond atrocious before returning to good, if not very good. He has his teams on good and bad runs, there's no middle ground. He's definitely got something about him. But let's look at it objectively - had he lost 8 straight league games and been knocked out by part timers in the cup, almost anywhere else, he'd have been sacked. So to then end up getting a job in a division higher (for now), just two months later, you can see why that surprises, yes? 

Time will tell how this will work out for him. But I wish him well and thank him for the brief good moments. 

12 minutes ago, WhiteyBFC said:

No, your idea that he inherited just four first team regulars, that's the myth. 

Davies, Bree, Nyatanga, Smith, Scowen, Hourihane, Winnall. 

All regulars before and after he arrived. And he 'chose' to release Milan Lalkovic (now smashing it up at Walsall), Martin Cranie and sell Luke Berry. I appreciate you're searching for positives with LJ, and there are some, but don't lie. His best players in the 11 months he spent here were players already here and Adam Hammill who was brought back by the owner/board. His recruits were appalling, save for one or two. His tactics were appalling, save for the last few weeks where his entire 'footballing philosophy' as he called it was ripped up completely and we went to 4-4-2 and stopped pissing about with the ball between defenders. 

I like Lee, I've spent time in his company, I do believe there's a good coach in there and he talks a very good game. I wish him luck at your place. But his time here was good, then indifferent, then ok, then beyond atrocious before returning to good, if not very good. He has his teams on good and bad runs, there's no middle ground. He's definitely got something about him. But let's look at it objectively - had he lost 8 straight league games and been knocked out by part timers in the cup, almost anywhere else, he'd have been sacked. So to then end up getting a job in a division higher (for now), just two months later, you can see why that surprises, yes? 

Time will tell how this will work out for him. But I wish him well and thank him for the brief good moments. 

Thanks for that a very good post indeed, but don't expect too much support, luckily I suspect under our new set up (we've got a new bloke with a suit) I suspect that LJ will be doing as he is told and especially if we manage to recruit a different and more hands on DOF.

LJ seems the perfect passive manager that our owner has craved.

1 hour ago, Devereux said:

I am trying so hard to think of this in a positive light, I really am .... maybe we have unearthed a gem, maybe he's going to prove a lot of people wrong, maybe this is a great fit.

i listened to the SL and MA interviews....I'm really not convinced. SL talks of his great record (win ratio is not great) and that he saved Oldham and Barnsley, and yes that's great... But we sacked a manager who won us the league and cup double in L1 to replace him with one of our most inexperienced managers ever, who helped a couple of sides survive in L1...

in one interview SL talks of premier league, in the next he talks about impressive managers that survive in L1..

Maybe his knack for helping clubs survive is just what we need right now....so why give him a 3.5 year contract. 

As I have said on other threads I will support the team 100% anyway, but this forum is all about opinion..

if he had not been an ex player would we have gone for him? I think not...and our record with ex players at the helm is not great...

but this could be the one, he could be our Brendan Rodgers....

or will he walk away with a big payout halfway through his contract. 

Huge gamble.....

Saved us from what? We were 8 points clear of relegation when he arrived, 7 off the playoffs. 

A year later, we're 10 points clear of relegation and 8 points off the playoffs. 

We're top four for crowds, budgets and the like, in this division. We're 12th in the table. He overachieved slightly with Oldham, he's underachieved here. Take the Tinpot Trophy run away (we've won three ties on penalties) and there's nothing there. However, in time there may well have been. He may have led us to the playoffs, promotion? But we'll never know. Again, bizarre to walk out on that for a club who are - no offence here - no bigger than us, currently struggling to stay up, with a fanbase not entirely keen on him getting the job. It's not a club legend returning to Ashton Gate is it? I remember him getting hammer as a player. But having met him, I know he's a bloody ambitious bloke, driven to succeed. So I'm not totally shocked he's taken it. I'm more shocked that your club picked him. 

I do though hope he does well, today was a great result for him to build on.

Imagine if we were in Norwich's position last year and appointed Alex Neil. Or imagine if we had appointed a manager two years ago, fans had been completely against it, only to subsequently be proved wrong and then for some to have the exact same reaction to the next appointment!

In fairness, I wouldn't have been happy had it been someone like Appleton/Pearce but I think LJ has shown great potential since the start of his management career and knows the club well. People with their agendas still are just very, very sad - it was baffling enough when he was a player because he was underrated then, too. I don't mind scepticism, it's a huge gamble. But talk of not buying ST's and stopping their support of the club, I just can't understand.

I've been a big critic of the board but I admire their gamble on this one. LJ cares about this club and has a lot of potential from what I've seen him do so far in management. It is a huge gamble but like I said in another post, we've had 5 relegation battles in 6 seasons, so why not go for it? I'd rather this appointment than 90% of the other options anyway.

8 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Thanks for that a very good post indeed, but don't expect too much support, luckily I suspect under our new set up (we've got a new bloke with a suit) I suspect that LJ will be doing as he is told and especially if we manage to recruit a different and more hands on DOF.

LJ seems the perfect passive manager that our owner has craved.

Your last sentence sums it up for me. If this goes wrong don't have a pop at Johnson, he didn't appoint himself into the job. Johnson himself will get full support from me. The freak show upstairs however......

15 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Well would not have been my choice, but need to support and give him a chance.

A bit of gamble given Pembo/Wade have just delivered 7 pts in 4 games, a ratio if maintained that would keep us up.

Also, really don't understand the logic of a 3.5 year deal - we did similar for SOD, just means a bigger payout if it doesn't work out. Would have thought 1.5 year deal was enough, then if he kept us up and we started ok next season could have offered extension.

Let's just hope this doesn't derail our little revival since Cotts went.

I thought the 3.5 year deal was long . But being employed on a contract at Barnsley I expect they needed to offer that length of deal seeing he probably had a couple of years left at Barnsley. Not sure his contract length up there . Don't know we're I stand on this appointment but one thing is for sure I will support him and the team . 

21 hours ago, Barnsey Boy said:

wouldn't sweat it mate, past history indicates first better offer he gets he'll be off like sh1t off a shovel! ask Oldham and Barnsley fans.

Ignore the user name BTW it should be Barnsley but the 'l' went missing somewhere on registration, just thought you might like our perspective ?

Its really weird we have lost managers before but not with this reaction, some  are a bit disappointed, I would say the majority don't care either way, and some think it will save us the compensation we would have had to pay him when he ultimately got the sack.

Our club stuck with him through some lousy times when we endured formations that many fans found baffling and extremely boring, then there was the longest losing streak in living memory prior to us just having a winning streak during which we have played some decent stuff. That's it really, anyway good luck!!

Oh the irony if that turns out to be the case here.

I wish Lee the very best of luck in his new job.

I hope we stay up - and we could even finish mid-table, if we get a few back-to-back wins.

Perhaps we will strengthen PROPERLY this summer on the back of a bit of success. 

AND we have a massive new stand opening for 2016/17.

However, it's really odd we could not attract a manager with at least some level 2 experience. Or some level 2 success. This will lead to issues attracting level 2 proven players - without having to pay over the odds - something we rightly seem to wish to avoid having to do.

The appointment appears to have underwhelmed season ticket holders too. I wonder how much of that spanking new stand is going to remain empty / closed off next season? Would that be a waste of money?

Perhaps the board really do know best?

Uncle TFR

2 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

I wish Lee the very best of luck in his new job.

I hope we stay up - and we could even finish mid-table, if we get a few back-to-back wins.

Perhaps we will strengthen PROPERLY this summer on the back of a bit of success. 

AND we have a massive new stand opening for 2016/17.

However, it's really odd we could not attract a manager with at least some level 2 experience. Or some level 2 success. This will lead to issues attracting level 2 proven players - without having to pay over the odds - something we rightly seem to wish to avoid having to do.

The appointment appears to have underwhelmed season ticket holders too. I wonder how much of that spanking new stand is going to remain empty / closed off next season? Would that be a waste of money?

Perhaps the board really do know best?

Uncle TFR

Because we did so well attracting proven level two players with our former manager who had so much level two experience...!

14 minutes ago, kivsy said:

What player worth their salt next season will say.   I can't wait to play for lee Johnson next season. ? 

Far more than SC... ;-)

To be fair to fans though, the majority just see results at previous Clubs.

Players, Agents and coach's talk about managers/coach's...talk that the fan doesn't get to hear.

LJ is seen as a very good coach by those in the game, respected, and a good man manager...not someone who shouts and balls...but someone who understands each individual.

Players will have no problem working for him.

You'd be surprised by those who respect him....Wenger is one...could quiet easily see us getting some from Arsenal fringe players.

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Your last sentence sums it up for me. If this goes wrong don't have a pop at Johnson, he didn't appoint himself into the job. Johnson himself will get full support from me. The freak show upstairs however......

That's where its at mate-cant blame Lee for taking the job,and now its our job to get behind him,even though its clear virtually no fan had him on their 'want' list when SC was ousted.we can back the players and Lee without listening to premier league bullshit from the higher-ups.its all perception I guess,and I will be re-aligning my reference points as of now.

On 7 February 2016 at 15:04, spudski said:

Far more than SC... ;-)

To be fair to fans though, the majority just see results at previous Clubs.

Players, Agents and coach's talk about managers/coach's...talk that the fan doesn't get to hear.

LJ is seen as a very good coach by those in the game, respected, and a good man manager...not someone who shouts and balls...but someone who understands each individual.

Players will have no problem working for him.

You'd be surprised by those who respect him....Wenger is one...could quiet easily see us getting some from Arsenal fringe players.

I'd love to believe you, I just can't see it, I fact int scares the **** out of me.

Archived