IGNORED

Baldock

Super

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I was a huge Baldock fan but he would struggle for goals in our team. Kodjia has had to do an awful lot of the creating himself this season as it certainly hasn't come from our 'playmaker' who is still without an open play assist. 

Baldock thrives on great service to feet and he certainly wouldn't have had that here this season. 

In the right side Baldock would be deadly. In a front 2 with a targetman, like he had in Wilbs years back, he's great. Intelligent guy and seems a nice chap, was good for the dressing room when he was here.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not a chance in my view, he's not got the individual brilliance Kodjia can display nor the explosive pace. He's an upgrade on Agard but not Kodjia. By the same token If Kodjia was starting weekly for Brighton he'd have over 16 goals. 

Fair enough mate all about opinions mate what I am sure we will agree on is that he deserved a better reception last night.

4 hours ago, BoneyardTIM said:

This thread makes me a little bit sad. Our so could "Super vocal fans" booed a good ex player, sang a lot of homophobic songs, got upset at a gesture which may or may not have been made and left on mass after the forth goal. Funny old game.

Their fans did a great job of taking the homophobic insult and owning it with pride and humour. "To the nancy boys...," was a great retort

44 minutes ago, Super said:

Missing the most important in that list - finisher. I like Kodjia don't get me wrong but Baldock is proven at this level, if he had been playing for us all season we would prob be mid table.

Baldock has 21 goals in 95 appearances at this level. Including penalties and a goal against us earlier in the season that was quite clearly an own goal from Flint.

Kodjia has 11 goals in 32 at this level (as well as a goal in the cup against a Premier League team). First season in a new league playing in a team near the bottom.

If you think Baldock is a better player than Kodjia then fair enough, I disagree quite strongly but everyone has their own opinion. To suggest that we'd be mid table if we had Baldock rather than Kodjia however is complete and utter rubbish.

22 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Baldock has 21 goals in 95 appearances at this level. Including penalties and a goal against us earlier in the season that was quite clearly an own goal from Flint.

Kodjia has 11 goals in 32 at this level (as well as a goal in the cup against a Premier League team). First season in a new league playing in a team near the bottom.

If you think Baldock is a better player than Kodjia then fair enough, I disagree quite strongly but everyone has their own opinion. To suggest that we'd be mid table if we had Baldock rather than Kodjia however is complete and utter rubbish.

I have watched plenty of games where better finishing would of seen us take points, Bolton, Charlton, MK, Leeds, Birmingham, sure there are plenty more but that's ten points we lost.

If Baldock had been here instead of Kodjia this season, Agard would have played more as Sammy would have been injured on at least 3 occasions missing big chunks of the season.

I like the guy, I rated him when he was here (scored 1 in 2 in our first season back in league 1) and I wouldn't have given him any grief if I was there last night. But he is far from a proven Championship striker.

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

To be fair, if I was in his shoes and have played as poorly as him, been completely marked out of the game by Flint and looked a L1 player at best,  I'd have ran a lap of the pitch if i'd have just scored my third goal of the season.

Marked out of the game by Flint? you been drinking? He scored a great goal as Flint couldn't get near him!

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Marked out of the game by Flint? you been drinking? He scored a great goal as Flint couldn't get near him!

IMO you have to look at Pearce for the second. Whole game Baldock lost every ball that came to him as he couldn't handle Flint's physicality. Fitting that the first time Baldock actually converts a chance that isn't his 8th of the game it's against us!!

34 minutes ago, petehinton said:

To be fair, if I was in his shoes and have played as poorly as him, been completely marked out of the game by Flint and looked a L1 player at best,  I'd have ran a lap of the pitch if i'd have just scored my third goal of the season.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How's Kodjia been able to get 12 goals if he's such a bad finisher then? It's a bit of a myth. Ok, he could definitely improve in that aspect but he's not as bad as some believe. I remember Baldpck missing a disproportionate number of guilt edged chances.

As for that last comment, so you think Baldock would have got in the region of 20 goals in this side then? To suggest we'd have been mid table all season with him implies he'd have scored lots more than Kodjia in this side.

According to Opta, Kodjia has had 81 shots, with 35 on target and 11 going in (in the league). 

In the grander scheme of things:
Andre Gray - 85 shots, 44 on target, 18 goals
Abel Hernandez - 82 shots, 45 on target, 16 goals
Ross McCormack - 83 shots, 55 on target, 16 goals
Alan Judge - 93 shots, 48 on target, 13 goals
Nahki Wells - 82 shots, 43 on target, 13 goals
Fernando Forestieri - 86 shots, 48 on target, 12 goals
Nick Blackman - 105 shots, 50 on target, 11 goals
Jonathan Kodjia - 81 shots, 35 on target, 11 goals
Jordan Rhodes - 70 shots, 36 on target, 11 goals
Moussa Dembele - 64 shots, 33 on target, 10 goals

28 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

According to Opta, Kodjia has had 81 shots, with 35 on target and 11 going in (in the league). 

In the grander scheme of things:
Andre Gray - 85 shots, 44 on target, 18 goals
Abel Hernandez - 82 shots, 45 on target, 16 goals
Ross McCormack - 83 shots, 55 on target, 16 goals
Alan Judge - 93 shots, 48 on target, 13 goals
Nahki Wells - 82 shots, 43 on target, 13 goals
Fernando Forestieri - 86 shots, 48 on target, 12 goals
Nick Blackman - 105 shots, 50 on target, 11 goals
Jonathan Kodjia - 81 shots, 35 on target, 11 goals
Jordan Rhodes - 70 shots, 36 on target, 11 goals
Moussa Dembele - 64 shots, 33 on target, 10 goals

Interesting stats. They show that although Kodjia actually has the lowest on target % of any of those players, his goals to shots on target ratio is actually amongst the best  

Only Gray and Hernandez are better in terms of converting shots on target. 

Puts the 'can't finish' thing to bed. The real question is why only just over 40% of his shots manage to go in the vague direction of that big netty thing!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting stats. They show that although Kodjia actually has the lowest on target % of any of those players, his goals to shots on target ratio is actually amongst the. Ray.

Puts the 'can't finish' thing to bed. The real question is why only just over 40% of his shots manage to go in the vague direction of that big netty thing!

It does and it doesn't. It shows when he gets a shot on target, his conversion rate is up there with the best, but he is wasteful in that he doesn't get a huge number of his shots on target. If he can sort the latter out he'll smash them in.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting stats. They show that although Kodjia actually has the lowest on target % of any of those players, his goals to shots on target ratio is actually amongst the best  

Not really as he requires more shots than most overall to get a shot on target

19 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He has a good team around him though. Would he be as good in our side? Probably not. Rather have Kodjia myself, Baldock doesn't often create something out of nothing. Kodjia would have 16+ goals in a top 6 side.

He's already scored 12 in a bottom 6 side!

And for what it's worth, just because some numskull steward says that Baldock is going to be reported to the FA does not mean necessarily that Baldock is going to be reported to the FA.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Not really as he requires more shots than most overall to get a shot on target

To be fair it's not like he's putting shots off target constantly when clean through. It's more a case I think of him taking lots of attempts on that aren't realistic - shots from unlikely distances etc that contribute to the low 'on target' ratio. To me that's not a 'finishing' issue.

These stats show that when he gets them on target, he's up there with the best in terms of conversion. To me, the sign of a finishing issue is if he's getting loads on target but not scoring many. 

20 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

10 hours ago, maxjak said:

Might have something to do with the fact that he's been injured for 3 months……….When fit he's quality, I would swap him for Agard anytime.  he left to double his wages, good luck to him.

It's nonsense to say Baldock is 'quality' at Championship level.

But to be fair to him he's having a really good season at this level by his standards.

Just over 2 months of the season left and he's already equalled his fearsome total of 3 league goals for the whole of last season.

Incredible bargain for Brighton - what a striker! :whistle2:

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

For further clarification, I can now confirm that he also gave it the biggun towards the Atyeo while making a point of not celebrating.

Tbf it was quite confusing. When he came over to the Atyeo/Dolman corner I couldn't figure out if he was doing a kind of 'I'm not celebrating gesture' or he was trying to rub it in. 

Weird one. 

Your are of course entitled to your opinion………..but that was only his 4th game since 1st week of November against us, he has been playing left side of midfield most of the time, so he's not really playing in his natural position.  I rate him, and wish he was still at City.  But a 4 year contract at double his wages was just too good to turn down.  I wonder if Brighton go up, if they'll keep him?

• Admin

On 2/23/2016 at 22:37, Dollymarie said:

He didn't help himself making the w*nker sign in the direction of the Atyeo/Dolman when he scored. There wasn't any major abuse that I heard until after that. 

Nice way to say thanks to the fans who paid your wages for years hey? 

On 2/23/2016 at 22:41, hodge said:

He did the thing where he put his hands towards the ground showing he's not going to celebrate, lots of players do it, it wasn't a dance.

Agree with @hodge he clearly put his palms face down shaking them as to indicate he wasn't going to celebrate

Just watched the replay back, clearly no gestures

Untitled.jpg

There is some bollox being spouted about Atyeo "superfans" on here - what on earth is wrong with some people ?. Wanting to pay a low price to be able to stand with mates rather than wave at them three seats in front of you isn't that despicable is it?

Back to Sam Baldock - a large number of people around me in the unallocated bit weren't booing him but plenty were behind me although I thought he conducted himself well.

If he's genuinely being reported then that's out of order in my view but hopefully any punishment involves coming back to us for the remainder of the season. .

On 2/23/2016 at 23:20, WOODSY1111 said:

If he turned the opposite direction after seeing the ball go in and ran the same distance he would have been stood in front of his own! So why continue and stand in front of us, clearly after a reaction/wind up. Think he is a **** for doing it!

Never mind precious  - you'll get over it I'm sure....!  "Mum....a man scored a goal and stood in front of me....waaaaaahhhhhhh"!!!  Do you not realise how ridiculous that sounds?!?

Maybe he was making a point.  He won't celebrate, but he'll let you look at what the guy you've been abusing for the previous half hour has just done.  Can't say I blame him.

47 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

There is some bollox being spouted about Atyeo "superfans" on here - what on earth is wrong with some people ?. Wanting to pay a low price to be able to stand with mates rather than wave at them three seats in front of you isn't that despicable is it?

Back to Sam Baldock - a large number of people around me in the unallocated bit weren't booing him but plenty were behind me although I thought he conducted himself well.

If he's genuinely being reported then that's out of order in my view but hopefully any punishment involves coming back to us for the remainder of the season. .

'tis the way of the forum I'm afraid. You don't really think EVERYONE in the Dolman leaves early do you..?

• Admin
On 2/23/2016 at 23:08, WOODSY1111 said:

Can't understand why he ran to our fans when he could've gone 20 yards the opposite way and stood in front of his own! W*#%>r!

The momentum from his shot took him across our area - it wasn't like it changed direction

Watch it back as soon as he stops his momentum his team mates are on him - so chance of changing direction.

Not the first and certainly not the last player to do this

On 24 February 2016 at 12:18, JM91 said:

Think it would be generous to say Baldock is proven in the Championship.  Afterall he has only scored 12 Championship goals in his career.  Which, coincidentally is the same as Kodjia. 

He's got more than that...he got ten for us in the season we were relegated from the championship and he's scored more than two for B&HA...

On 2/23/2016 at 00:49, Nogbad the Bad said:

Surprised he was even playing.

Not exactly been a success at Brighton, excruciatingly poor goal record since he went there..

According to their site that was just his 3rd goal of the season tonight, but 2nd against us, of course.

That just goes to show how bad our defence was in the first game and probably even worse on Tuesday, due to the changes.

Archived