IGNORED

Is Big Flint good enough for the Prem?

reddogkev

Just fancied an in-depth look at our goal-scoring defender.

It's well known that he's taken a while to adjust to the Championship - but now it seems he has settled at this level, and LJ has the big man against the goals again.

What does the future hold for Flint?

I could see him in the Prem in the next 2 years - hopefully with us, but I wouldn't hold a grudge if he got there with someone else.

He's strong, athletic, imposing, a solid tackler, deadly in the box etc.

What might stop him from reaching this level?

I never thought I'd see Wes Morgan in the Premier League was terrible at Forest, moved to Leicester now look at him captaining them to possibly the title.

Anything is possible, I wouldn't bet against Flint playing at the top level one day. (hopefully with us)

I think Flint has got better and better . When he first signed I thought never worth 300 grand he reminded me of a giraffe. But has improved every season mostly the second part of this season. Mick McCarthy gave him some big praise couple of weeks ago . Would love city to have baker and flint as there centre backs next season. Premiership maybe not but definitely a very good championship defender .

When we get there and if Aden is still with us, we and he will find out, won't we?

As I have said elsewhere, all things are possible but all are not probable.

I suspect that nobody will ever know the answer to the question "Is Aden Flint good enough to play in the Premier?" 

But then, I have also learned never to say never!

With correct delivery at set plays his desire to be on the "end of it" deems him unplayable at times, if Mad Mick teams can't deal with him that is a pretty conclusive gauge pole.  However his defending and positioning at times is questionable at best and as for his pace.

To liken him to Shaun Taylor would be fair, both have/had there limitations but equally have/had something special.  Just stick to what you CAN do and allow others to deal with what you can't do.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Loads of people said Flint would never be good enough for the Championship...

Loads said Bradley Orr could never play in the Premier League...

There are people making the same mistake again on this thread...

I'm very happy he's contracted until 2019, put it like that.

I will admit I had reservations about him playing in a 2.  Playing along side Nathan Baker they have look rock solid, I'll be  disappointed  to see Nathan Baker leave come the summer shame he will be going back to another Championship side.

Tongue firmly in cheek, Steven Caulker fancy a wage cut in exchange for game time?

15 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

I will admit I had reservations about him playing in a 2.  Playing along side Nathan Baker they have look rock solid, I'll be  disappointed  to see Nathan Baker leave come the summer shame he will be going back to another Championship side.

Tongue firmly in cheek, Steven Caulker fancy a wage cut in exchange for game time?

Caulker and flint! Now there's a picture of prowess!

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Loads of people said Flint would never be good enough for the Championship...

Loads said Bradley Orr could never play in the Premier League...

There are people making the same mistake again on this thread...

I'm very happy he's contracted until 2019, put it like that.

Wasn't aware of his contract length - the fact he's tied up for another 3 years is very good news.

If he goes and does again whatever he did "that" summer where he went away a useless clodhopping waste-of-£300k lump and came back a rock at the heart of defence and a heading machine up front (and he did, I'm not being sarcastic) then maybe he will make it in the Prem.  I'm not betting against it.

1 minute ago, EnderMB said:

He has far too many holes in his game to play in the Premier League. He may get there in time, but that's no more than wild speculation.

Does he though?

I'm not suggesting he is of the same quality, but I could see Flint playing a similar role to Mertesackers but at a lower end Prem team.

28 minutes ago, Super said:

You would fancy him against a Carroll or Benteke not so much against an Aguero or a Vardy.

Spot on. Anywhere where he can impose himself physically and win in the air then I don't see why he couldn't have half a chance. There are a few CB's making a living in the PL that can look decidedly ropey when up against a good striker.

Marking the likes of Aguero however. Different gravy. Can't see him keeping up with that level of pace and skill. But then to be fair, not many do. 

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

He has far too many holes in his game to play in the Premier League. He may get there in time, but that's no more than wild speculation.

That's what I was interested to know, what holes do you mean specifically, tell me more?

I love Flinty. 

But this is another typical OTIB 'win a few games' total overreaction thread. 

At times this season he's looked incapable of playing in the championship. 

Consistency makes a Premier league defender. If you watch the football league show, the lower league you get, the more defensive howlers there are. 

Flint is susceptible to the odd howler as he's shown this season.  Far too frequently to be Prem class. 

Sorry, as much as I'd love to say yes, it's a no from me. 

46 minutes ago, Super said:

You would fancy him against a Carroll or Benteke not so much against an Aguero or a Vardy.

You say that, but the striker to have him most in his pocket this season was the big chap up top at Birmingham - absolutely crucified poor Flinty. So much so that I can't remember his name....

Ah, Clayton Donaldson. 

Archived