IGNORED

Is Big Flint good enough for the Prem?

reddogkev

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You said he wouldn't be up to the Championship.

He very clearly is.

No he's not.

Flint is a very average "head it and kick it" merchant and League 1 is his level. He's fortunate to be playing in the Championship because he won promotion with City. Very few, if any Championship clubs would actually sign him if he were still playing in the lower leagues.

He lacks "footballing intelligence" which separates the good defenders from the ordinary ones. 

Before I get slated these comments are aimed at Flints ability but not at his personality. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he's not.

Flint is a very average "head it and kick it" merchant and League 1 is his level. He's fortunate to be playing in the Championship because he won promotion with City. Very few, if any Championship clubs would actually sign him if he were still playing in the lower leagues.

He lacks "footballing intelligence" which separates the good defenders from the ordinary ones. 

Before I get slated these comments are aimed at Flints ability but not at his personality. 

which is exactly what a defender should do.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he's not.

Hilarious!!

Of course it would be easy to make a quip about who really lacks "footballing intelligence" so I shall resist!

If League One is his level then how has he managed to be part of a defence, that since a switch to 4-4-2, has kept 4 clean sheets in 9 and has also personally managed to score 3 goals in his last 4 games?

And as for Championship clubs not being interested in signing him - you might want to consider why we offered him a 2 year contract extension last summer.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Maybe, but the Premier League is full of ordinary defenders.

Being technically good enough for a certain level and succeeding at that level are not always the same thing, and the margins can be fine. Physical attributes and mental toughness will get a player a long way in the English game, much further than ability alone.

When Baker plays Flint plays well. When he doesn't....cough (Brighton). Baker is a solid championship defender, Flint is a solid league 1 defender. I have know faith in a defence that doesn't contain Baker. If we are serious about challenging near the top of this league an upgrade on Flint will be needed. 

Would he be able to do a job in the prem? Of course. The manager has to know when to play him and when to sit him. We've seen his weaknesses this year. When teams keep the ball on the ground and use pace to get in behind. He doesn't have the pace to recover in those spots. Sit him for teams that will play this way. His strengths are in the air and marking a specific player. Team have a big man they like to lump it up to? Play him. Are they playing a lone striker? Play him and tell him to mark him. He'll get a few goals as well. He'd do a job for a lower team. I don't think he's an every week player at that level but he'd be good cover and has value in set pieces. 

Quite a few mentions of Wes Morgan now sitting at the top of the Prem, but looking at another Leicester defender, and I'd even say there doesn't seem to be a lot of

difference between the respective games of Flint and Robert Huth. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

which is exactly what a defender should do.

The question was is Flint good enough for the PL? 

Answer  - no.

Why? Because PL defenders have other skills and abilities that Flint lacks. Heading and kicking it isn't enough in the PL. Pretty much any defender can " head it and kick it" but they don't play in the PL.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The question was is Flint good enough for the PL? 

Answer  - no.

Why? Because PL defenders have other skills and abilities that Flint lacks. Heading and kicking it isn't enough in the PL. Pretty much any defender can " head it and kick it" but they don't play in the PL.

But you have said on this thread he isn't good enough for this level which based on the last 10 games is a bit unfair. He appears to be getting better at this level and appears solid enough now. I personally don't think he is Prem quality or will get there but you never know.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

You say that, but the striker to have him most in his pocket this season was the big chap up top at Birmingham - absolutely crucified poor Flinty. So much so that I can't remember his name....

Ah, Clayton Donaldson. 

But in the return fixture, the reverse was true - Donaldson barely got a kick.

Considering how hard we found it to find a good enough centre back last time we were in this division I wouldn't sell Flint for anything less than ridiculous. Also his goals are incredibly important considering we don't score many.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't get all this 'hes not good enough on the ball'. There have been a number of great big centre backs who are not great on the ball at the top level. And Flint is not even that bad on the ball anyway.

If you discount his constant intent to ping long balls forward which rarely find anyone.

1 hour ago, Shaun Morgan said:

Just reading mirror football on Twitter that west brom have been scouting flint . Eyeing a 2 million pound move in the summer. Sunderland been looking as well . Maybe he could be good enough. 

Not surprised about that to be honest, it's nothing but internet noise, but not surprised that WBA would be keen, after seeing him first hand twice, and Sunderland could do a lot worse.

I don't think we will know until he gets the chance.

Sometimes playing alongside better players raises your own game.  

There are so many cases of players deemed not good enough, yet prove themselves more than adequate at the next level up.  In contrast there are plenty who play at the top level, but when they drop down (either through choice, delegation, regular first team game time etc) can't cut it.

I'd prefer to sit on the fence.

23 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Premier League players lacking desire. Another great myth. 

When Remi Garde reveals some of his players don't even try on training ground ......

a myth for sure

think you confuse desire for £££££££ with desire to improve and succeed

Archived