IGNORED

Is Big Flint good enough for the Prem?

reddogkev

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

When Remi Garde reveals some of his players don't even try on training ground ......

a myth for sure

think you confuse desire for £££££££ with desire to improve and succeed

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

When Remi Garde reveals some of his players don't even try on training ground ......

a myth for sure

think you confuse desire for £££££££ with desire to improve and succeed

Bournemouth, West Ham, Spurs, Leicester, Watford, Liverpool last night against Citeh, Chelsea's recent resurgence, Man Utd's youngsters. Desire in abundance my fellow red.

One shambles of a club in Villa is a poor example. Poorly ran from the top and the inevitable has come to fruition after years of relegation battles. They are down and out.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well according to The Mirror, West Brom are lining up a £2m summer move for him....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-eyeing-2million-summer-7479843

As soon as the national press start taking an interest there's usually something going on - although being watched doesn't guarantee a transfer.  We've been in that position plenty of times before.

Seeing it in black and white (on a computer screen) I would actually be very disappointed if Flint left us.  We would struggle to find another affordable player like him in the near future.  You can't question the bloke's effort over the last couple of years.

17 minutes ago, Xiled said:

As soon as the national press start taking an interest there's usually something going on - although being watched doesn't guarantee a transfer.  We've been in that position plenty of times before.

Seeing it in black and white (on a computer screen) I would actually be very disappointed if Flint left us.  We would struggle to find another affordable player like him in the near future.  You can't question the bloke's effort over the last couple of years.

If I was LJ now, I'd have young Zak Vyner learn everything he possibly can from Aden.

Perhaps in a couple of years time, Vyner could become just as impressive.

Flint is someone I love having at this club, his passion for the game, fans and club is a huge plus for us but he's not a Premiership quality defender. He'd be a threat in the box but his defensive qualities just aren't good enough for that level as much as I hate to say it.

I think West Brom would be the perfect club for him, playing under a manager who's philosophy isn't about ball retention, more than defend from the back.

I don't think he's good enough though, he'd get caught out by sheer pace and the fact strikers would always be one step ahead of him

19 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I don't get all this 'hes not good enough on the ball'. There have been a number of great big centre backs who are not great on the ball at the top level. And Flint is not even that bad on the ball anyway.

Well he's not as good  as caulker, who is plying his trade in teams attempting (and failing) to avoid relegation. He's certainly in the reckoning - like I said you could have said the same of smalling. Who is getting called up for England. 

Listened to the pundits discussing Man City a few weeks back, and they commented on Vincent Company's absence. The view was that Company being in the defence makes defenders around him play better.

Flint has qualities that a lot of so called better defenders lack - solid, strong, good header of the ball, going in where it hurts. Playing along side better defenders would probably improve him, but those other defenders would be able to do the things that Flint can't.

15 yrs ago , and definitely before Flint would definitely have ended up,in the top division - 

The game has changed so much that there is limited scope for  the 'rock' centre half as the target man is almost a dead role at the very top level - the new 'target man' is quick strong and mobile

We perhaps need to remember how far he's come - From non league to Championship (Which IMO is now a very good standard generally) in ? 6/7 years is a magnificent achievement

Who knows how much he can still develop his game

Cant really see it but if Mertesacker can win a World Cup winners medal  ...... !!!

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

15 yrs ago , and definitely before Flint would definitely have ended up,in the top division - 

The game has changed so much that there is limited scope for  the 'rock' centre half as the target man is almost a dead role at the very top level - the new 'target man' is quick strong and mobile

We perhaps need to remember how far he's come - From non league to Championship (Which IMO is now a very good standard generally) in ? 6/7 years is a magnificent achievement

Who knows how much he can still develop his game

Cant really see it but if Mertesacker can win a World Cup winners medal  ...... !!!

More a Larry Lloyd than a Gary Collier, but I agree he would undoubtedly have done well 30 or 40 years ago.

Wow, I didn't realise it was so long ago!

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

More a Larry Lloyd than a Gary Collier, but I agree he would undoubtedly have done well 30 or 40 years ago.

Wow, I didn't realise it was so long ago!

I was thinking the same Phil after I typed 15 yrs ago !

Think he would have been ok , with the right partner into the 80s and probably 90s in the top division

Your comment about Collier made me think what a great partner Geoff Merrick would have made for big Aden

Collier was very good but made to look even better by Geoff Merrick

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think he would have been ok , with the right partner into the 80s and probably 90s in the top division

Your comment about Collier made me think what a great partner Geoff Merrick would have made for big Aden

Hunter was better!  Geoff then did a sterling job at full back! Was that our best ever defence? Also had Gow holding and whitehead on the wing. Not bad. 

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I often wonder how Sir Geoff would have got on in the modern game.

He wasn't a big lad, but read the game well and got in to position early.

Would his tackles be allowed today? 

5 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I remember him putting in a tackle from behind, coming away with the ball and the opposition player didn't even notice!

Interesting.

So, presumably, he touched only the ball, but it was a tackle from behind nevertheless.

I appreciate we are talking about Geoff Merrick and not the Gordon Parr/Jack Connor/Gordon Low trio or even Alec Briggs, but would these tackles be allowed today.

Several years later, the Bobby Kellard/Johnny Quigley types or even Norman Hunter and Peter Cormack (not to mention Gerry Gow), all crowd favourites of course, but how many of them would last the whole match today?

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Interesting.

So, presumably, he touched only the ball, but it was a tackle from behind nevertheless.

I appreciate we are talking about Geoff Merrick and not the Gordon Parr/Jack Connor/Gordon Low trio or even Alec Briggs, but would these tackles be allowed today.

Several years later, the Bobby Kellard/Johnny Quigley types or even Norman Hunter and Peter Cormack (not to mention Gerry Gow), all crowd favourites of course, but how many of them would last the whole match today?

The answer is none.

I imagine the attraction for Flint is that he's a goalscoring centre-half. He's not the finished article, but his goalscoring record for us would make up for that easily. A goal nearly every five or so games is great for a defender.

Whether it's a good move for Flint or not is up for debate. He sounds like the perfect Pulis player on paper, but I think he needs another season in the Championship to show whether he's worth the money.

Given our previous record for transfers, I can see us letting him go for £2m. He's worth far more than that, though, and if I were LJ I wouldn't let the board send him on his way without at least £4-5m.

9 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

The answer is none.

Precisely, and is that a good or bad thing?

When these players are (were) wearing the red City shirt, we all cheered when they made their barely legal bone shuddering challenges, but when I recall how Pele and Eusebio were treated in the 1966 World Cup, I can't help but feel that the modern, perhaps over-sterilised game does allow the skills of players such as Messi and his ilk to flourish, and I think on balance I prefer to see their artistry rather than brute force.

I still chuckle, however, whenever I see that picture of Dave Mackay's confrontation with Billy Bremner.  

Big John never bothered much with old fashioned crunching tackles on him, but I am still pleased to have seen John score goals by legitimately shoulder charging nervous goalkeepers into their own net to score for City. Oh the old shoulder charge was a wonderful thing to see when executed by an expert like Atyeo

23 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Big John never bothered much with old fashioned crunching tackles on him, but I am still pleased to have seen John score goals by legitimately shoulder charging nervous goalkeepers into their own net to score for City. Oh the old shoulder charge was a wonderful thing to see when executed by an expert like Atyeo

Ah Yes, the shoulder charge.

I remember how one of the Springetts, not sure whether it was Ron or Peter, landed up in the back of the net following a charge from either Big John or Brian Clarke.

How the game has changed.

Johnsons pre-Fulham conference:

Regarding Player-of-the-Month-nominee Aden Flint, Johnson says: "He has had a fantastic month; he's scored goals and could have had more. He can play as high as he wants."

Interesting.

After the debates on this thread the other day, it reads as a bit of a "come and get him/give us a bid" for me. Just the end bit. 

Of course, if Johnson thinks that then great, but he could have praised him in other ways. First on teamsheet, great leader, complete defender, insert other football cliche here.

Probably absolutely nothing at all. But I tell you this - it's far more interesting than filling out this b*stard form for house insurance, which is what I'm supposed to be doing. 

Sell for nothing less than 4 million. Players are rarely valued at their true prices these days and I would say Flint is more influential to our team than say David Cottrell who left for 2mil.

On the subject of Flint in the premier league he would have to seriously improve his ability to read the game. One of the reasons the likes of Terry, Keown, Ferdinand and going even further back Sir Bobby were great defenders is that they didn't need to out pace strikers in a direct foot race, but had the mental awareness to recognise space and shut it down. Equally, they also are fine examples of being AWARE OF THE BLINDSIDE, which Flint still struggles with. 

He's come on leaps and bounds though since christmas. Good on him.

On 1 March 2016 at 15:43, Robbored said:

No he's not.

Flint is a very average "head it and kick it" merchant and League 1 is his level. He's fortunate to be playing in the Championship because he won promotion with City. Very few, if any Championship clubs would actually sign him if he were still playing in the lower leagues.

He lacks "footballing intelligence" which separates the good defenders from the ordinary ones. 

Before I get slated these comments are aimed at Flints ability but not at his personality. 

League One is his level, unless he's the Championship's player of the month...

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Beat me to it :( I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a Prem club. Not a tippy tappy player but I'd rather have him with me than against. 

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

Because he's recently  scored a few goals. No other reason.

In my view he's a traditional "head it and kick it" centre back. He'd be exposed in the PL where the ball is played to feet much more than in other league. 

Imagine Flint up against Kane, Costa, Aguiro, Sanchez or any other PL striker........:facepalm:

Archived