IGNORED

Is Big Flint good enough for the Prem?

reddogkev

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You say that, but the striker to have him most in his pocket this season was the big chap up top at Birmingham - absolutely crucified poor Flinty. So much so that I can't remember his name....

Ah, Clayton Donaldson. 

To be fair to Flint was that not the game where Baker and Moore made they're debuts? So was basically a new defence around him, could be wrong mind you

At his current standard- no. He has just found his feet at championship level.

But I wouldn't write him off- Who would of thought Lambert, Lallana, Vardy etc would have been playing at top Premiership teams when they were learning their trade at league one level and lower. Stranger things have happened and IMO Flinty's biggest quality is his determination to improve.

I generally read other club's forums after we play them - especially if we win ;)

Flint is quite often identified as one of our stand-out players. The Forest fans didn't think their team had an answer to Baker and Flint.  In a similar way he won't have gone unnoticed by scouts.

Playing in a better defence he would also be a better player.  His confidence is more apparent when we're playing well.

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Just fancied an in-depth look at our goal-scoring defender.

It's well known that he's taken a while to adjust to the Championship - but now it seems he has settled at this level, and LJ has the big man against the goals again.

What does the future hold for Flint?

I could see him in the Prem in the next 2 years - hopefully with us, but I wouldn't hold a grudge if he got there with someone else.

He's strong, athletic, imposing, a solid tackler, deadly in the box etc.

What might stop him from reaching this level?

Not a chance.

Opening Q: Is Flint good enough for the Premiership?

Opening A: No.

Love him; we'll miss him big time when he's not here; he has many qualities and is one of the 2 or 3 (K Smith) who stepped up from pretty much Day Two, but no. He's not good enough, as he is now, for the Premiership.

5 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

I never thought I'd see Wes Morgan in the Premier League was terrible at Forest, moved to Leicester now look at him captaining them to possibly the title.

Anything is possible, I wouldn't bet against Flint playing at the top level one day. (hopefully with us)

Would be amazing if it happened and would give hope to so many players.

23 minutes ago, Super said:

Would be amazing if it happened and would give hope to so many players.

I for one really hope they manage to do it, will be a remarkable achievement despite the poor quality of the Premier League this season.

Yes, in the right team.

Man-for-man there's really not much between the standard of a good lower-league player and a solid Premiership journeyman.

Obviously Flint is not as good as the top defenders in the league but he could be as good as, for example, the defenders of Sunderland, Norwich and clubs of that ilk.

Look at Nathan Baker, for example, who has played a number of Premiership games and certainly isn't a country mile ahead of Flint. Also look at players who've dropped down from the Premiership and have in many cases kept on dropping. Nicky Hunt was good enough for the Premiership. He'd played in it for 4 seasons when he signed for us.

Put all of our team in the Premiership and they'd struggle without a doubt. Put any single one of them into a Premiership side, though, and they might well do enough to get by.

43 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

I for one really hope they manage to do it, will be a remarkable achievement despite the poor quality of the Premier League this season.

Hoping they don't slip up against WBA tonight.  Be just like Pullis to try to bloody ruin things.

Who's to say he couldn't? I seem to remember when he faced West Ham last year in the FA Cup he had Carroll in his pocket.

He certainly has the height, physicality and aggression needed for prem. He may not be the best with the ball at his feet, but pair him with the right centre back partner and I think he could certainly do a job. There's a lot worse than him who have played premier league football (the likes of Hangeland, Nicky Hunt spring to mind). Nobody ever thought Wes Morgan would go from average championship centre back at Forest to captaining a team who are top of the premier league in March so until Flint makes the step up nothing is impossible.

7 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Yes, in the right team.

Man-for-man there's really not much between the standard of a good lower-league player and a solid Premiership journeyman.

Obviously Flint is not as good as the top defenders in the league but he could be as good as, for example, the defenders of Sunderland, Norwich and clubs of that ilk.

Look at Nathan Baker, for example, who has played a number of Premiership games and certainly isn't a country mile ahead of Flint. Also look at players who've dropped down from the Premiership and have in many cases kept on dropping. Nicky Hunt was good enough for the Premiership. He'd played in it for 4 seasons when he signed for us.

Put all of our team in the Premiership and they'd struggle without a doubt. Put any single one of them into a Premiership side, though, and they might well do enough to get by.

Indeed he isn't, similar players in many ways and imo., though it's not a strong point of either, Flint's distribution is better. He will also score well at any level, Baker's recent goal for City was the first of his career.

Baker's temperament - what the Hell gets into him sometimes? - and injury records are both matters for real concern; in comparison Flint's temperament is superb and not sure he's even missed a match since the lay off after that Shrewsbury game, almost 2 full seasons. Even with that serious injury he was determined to play on, quite a contrast to Mr. Baker.

Is Baker a better player than Flint? Lots on here seem to think so, but that's not the case from what I've seen.

Although a consistent advocate of Flint throughout his time here, even I wouldn't have viewed him as a likely future PL regular, but if Baker can play 70+ games at that level, who's to can say Flint won't?

Next question: When will Flint get his first England call up? :dunno:;)

Archived