IGNORED

The Official Hull City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well that's football for you, yes I saw what you saw, along with half hearted challenges, piss poor passing all day, no width, I saw Pack once in the first half and once in the second half by the opposition corner flag instead of trying to win a corner or a throw in both times blindly pass a 3/4 foot ball directly to a Hull player both times ending in a near miss at our end seconds later, I saw for most of the game Hull by pass our midfield as if they weren't there, being allowed unmolested to build attacks box to box, I saw when we were playing the ball out from the back a distinct lack of midfield runners or midfielders making themselves available.

Yes they are a good side, a good side that haven't been able to score in a brothel until today and yes I believe that they probably have the best midfield in the championship but I thought that our midfield for the most part hid today and I think they could and should have at least competed a little better.

We know that Baker does have games like that but is still a very good player, the midfield in the summer needs major surgery.

I think, unfortunately, they demonstrated today, the "fear" that LJ on Thursday talked about drilling into them they must not show or play with. Post match, Lee said we are not quite at the level where we can compete with the teams like Hull. Is there a contradiction there? 

We have two games left against top 6 sides - sides like Hull - and 5 against teams we have been getting results against, although Rotherham Tuesday looks as tough as any of the seven remaining games.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think, unfortunately, they demonstrated today, the "fear" that LJ on Thursday talked about drilling into them they must not show or play with. Post match, Lee said we are not quite at the level where we can compete with the teams like Hull. Is there a contradiction there? 

We have two games left against top 6 sides - sides like Hull - and 5 against teams we have been getting results against, although Rotherham Tuesday looks as tough as any of the seven remaining games.

Well put I agree totally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Not over yet.

Rotherham on fire under Warnock. They will beat us Tuesday. 

FFS!

No Jeff and no social media tonight....The squatters have never felt more like singing the blues again! Colin Daniel scored this afternoon so they can **** off n'all!

Ahhh , you get that shit too then. My mate's in the USA , Disney in stead of the Rugby ground although both Mickey Mouse outfits , and he still takes time out to post about us !!! 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I do wonder whether telling teams "not to express fear" is counter-productive, especially after the first goal goes in...

23 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Not at all , on a good day with luck we go and maybe sneak a draw. What happened was nothing to do with fear or respect just class.

11 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

I do wonder whether telling teams "not to express fear" is counter-productive, especially after the first goal goes in...

I really think it was just a bad day at the office, fear does not come into it. I also think that was a sound bite, more for the press than players.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

The Championship table I'm looking at has only one of those teams in the relegation zone.

My apologies, it must be an age/generation thing.

I have always referred to the (in this case) bottom three teams as being in the relegation places or positions, and to the teams in the relegation places or hovering just above as being in the relegation zone.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

He has been poor granted. I just believe questions need to be asked of our coaching staff and set up.

I put money on it...if he went to another Championship club (a more established one), he would flourish 

What has his form got to do with coaching? He was brilliant last season that wasn't down to our coaching he is just out of his depth.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well that's football for you, yes I saw what you saw, along with half hearted challenges, piss poor passing all day, no width, I saw Pack once in the first half and once in the second half by the opposition corner flag instead of trying to win a corner or a throw in both times blindly pass a 3/4 foot ball directly to a Hull player both times ending in a near miss at our end seconds later, I saw for most of the game Hull by pass our midfield as if they weren't there, being allowed unmolested to build attacks box to box, I saw when we were playing the ball out from the back a distinct lack of midfield runners or midfielders making themselves available.

Yes they are a good side, a good side that haven't been able to score in a brothel until today and yes I believe that they probably have the best midfield in the championship but I thought that our midfield for the most part hid today and I think they could and should have at least competed a little better.

We know that Baker does have games like that but is still a very good player, the midfield in the summer needs major surgery.

Yeah see where your coming from.

After watching the Brighton game with some of there one touch football seems like were quite a bit behind.

Saying that as you know it's not just about the 3 or 4 in the middle it's runners into space all over the pitch.

I'd agree with you tho hull brushed past our midfield at times with no problem.

Just back. Reading this thread reminds me why it's better to attend a game than read analysis on here from people who weren't there!

Bottom line was that Hull were better than us all over the park, as was to be expected. They have a Prem team aiming to return, we have a slightly disjoined mix of loanees and Div 1 players seeking to stay up…it showed. And we have no one with the class and experience of Snodgrass and Huddlestone running our midfield. No point pretending we have. They are a top flight outfit on the pitch and on the bench and we have a long way to go…there's no shame in that.

Positives, despite it not being their day both Tomlin and Odemwingie have quality touches. O'Donnell made a couple of cracking saves. We didn't give up.

Negatives, as others have said our midfield needs to step up to compete at this level. Jonathan Kodjia, despite his goals, looks naive at times…by which I mean he's constantly caught offside, makes runs no one else is looking to him to make, and when he gets in precious positions overelaborates or runs out of ideas. And that was a pity today.

Looking forward to Tuesday, which I suspect will be very different. I'd expect Wilbs to start.

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not at all , on a good day with luck we go and maybe sneak a draw. What happened was nothing to do with fear or respect just class.

I really think it was just a bad day at the office, fear does not come into it. I also think that was a sound bite, more for the press than players.

Ok, so it is the difference in class in the two squads. So how did MK manage a draw there recently? How did we manage to beat Boro twice? And how did we overcome the difference in class to draw with Hull at AG?

If fear does not come into it, why was LJ referring to fear 48 hours before the game?

Rotherham v top 6 this season:

First five games: Brighton, Burnley, Wednesday, Derby, Middlesbrough - five defeats.

Then, from Dec 19th:

Hull, won 2:0; Brighton, won 2:0; Burnley, lost 0:2; Wednesday, won 1:0; Middlesbrough, won 1:0; Derby 3:3.

Rotherham have turned it around against the big sides, they have bridged the gulf in class, they have found a way to compete. And that transformation precedes Warnock arriving there.

So, it can be done. Question is: how?

Preston, 

First five games v Top 6: 2 draws, 3 defeats. Next 5 v Top 6: 3 wins, 2 draws.

So, Preston, same-ish class of players as us, struggled at first but have also found a way to live with the gulf in class. It can be done. But neither Cotts or LJ, yet, have found a way. 

Sir Alex understood the importance of press conferences and public statements. I don't think the gulf is insurmountable and I believe we shouldn't be sending subliminal or overt messages that we can't compete. Cotts fell into that trap, I just hope LJ is not going to as well!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Ok, so it is the difference in class in the two squads. So how did MK manage a draw there recently? How did we manage to beat Boro twice? And how did we overcome the difference in class to draw with Hull at AG?

If fear does not come into it, why was LJ referring to fear 48 hours before the game?

Rotherham v top 6 this season:

First five games: Brighton, Burnley, Wednesday, Derby, Middlesbrough - five defeats.

Then, from Dec 19th:

Hull, won 2:0; Brighton, won 2:0; Burnley, lost 0:2; Wednesday, won 1:0; Middlesbrough, won 1:0; Derby 3:3.

Rotherham have turned it around against the big sides, they have bridged the gulf in class, they have found a way to compete. And that transformation precedes Warnock arriving there.

So, it can be done. Question is: how?

Preston, 

First five games v Top 6: 2 draws, 3 defeats. Next 5 v Top 6: 3 wins, 2 draws.

So, Preston, same-ish class of players as us, struggled at first but have also found a way to live with the gulf in class. It can be done. But neither Cotts or LJ, yet, have found a way. Sir Alex understood the importance of press conferences and public statements. I don't think the gulf is insurmountable and I believe we shouldn't be sending subliminal or overt messages that we can't compete. Cotts fell into that trap, I just hope LJ is not going to as well!

Over all class should tell ,  on a game bases anyone can beat anyone. I don't hold with the fear thing, being brave means hold the ball and be confident and today we maybe stood off a little and showed too much respect but mostly I think it was just a bad day. Control, passing and movement were all off, and our midfield is (in comparison) lightweight.  I may not have explained that well, sounds like I contradicted myself a little.

We deserved to beat Boro at home, good defending for the away win . Hull at home I thought they looked a better side but that we deserved a point. The class tells over a period of games, what Rotherham has/have done is (probably) through commitment , organisation and passion. Warnock has always got the best from his sides even if they aren't the best sides. It is harder to keep that going over a longer period of time, but how many times have we seen teams raise their game against supposed stronger opposition in one off games ?

As for the press conference , mostly just soundbites . I'm not sure he'd be saying the same to players, at least not in the same way. 

I do think that the break may have come at a bad time as our momentum and their supposed drought were negated.  If we can beat the divisions form side Tuesday, it will be the preferred way of picking up 3 points from these games .

Korey Smith has picked up another injury in the warm up.Why the hell didn't we bring the midfield player in on loan that LJ talked about.No he thought Korey was getting fit and decided against it .Why the hell take the chance. Surely we should have signed him anyway as insurance.Now we go with the same midfield that was run ragged today. Stupid decision.

26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Over all class should tell ,  on a game bases anyone can beat anyone. I don't hold with the fear thing, being brave means hold the ball and be confident and today we maybe stood off a little and showed too much respect but mostly I think it was just a bad day. Control, passing and movement were all off, and our midfield is (in comparison) lightweight.  I may not have explained that well, sounds like I contradicted myself a little.

We deserved to beat Boro at home, good defending for the away win . Hull at home I thought they looked a better side but that we deserved a point. The class tells over a period of games, what Rotherham has/have done is (probably) through commitment , organisation and passion. Warnock has always got the best from his sides even if they aren't the best sides. It is harder to keep that going over a longer period of time, but how many times have we seen teams raise their game against supposed stronger opposition in one off games ?

As for the press conference , mostly just soundbites . I'm not sure he'd be saying the same to players, at least not in the same way. 

I do think that the break may have come at a bad time as our momentum and their supposed drought were negated.  If we can beat the divisions form side Tuesday, it will be the preferred way of picking up 3 points from these games .

Fair points, mate. I just think when the opposition do have classier players, it's even more important to pay attention to the little things, like mental preparation and so on. Where you say we paid Hull too much "respect" I would call that "fear." I think our record v the top six sides, with a number of four goal hidings now, suggests we are missing a trick or something here, but it might be too much to expect LJ to change that now, this season. 

It's better that we have secured wins against the bottom four recently I suppose.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Fair points, mate. I just think when the opposition do have classier players, it's even more important to pay attention to the little things, like mental preparation and so on. Where you say we paid Hull too much "respect" I would call that "fear." I think our record v the top six sides, with a number of four goal hidings now, suggests we are missing a trick or something here, but it might be too much to expect LJ to change that now, this season. 

It's better that we have secured wins against the bottom four recently I suppose.  

That's why I said about contradicting myself.

Burnley 1-2  and 4-0

Boro  1-0 and 1-0

Brighton 1-2 and 4-0

Hull 1-1 and 4-0

Sheff Wed 2-0 home game to come

Derby 4-0 home game to come

Not good reading, too many times we seem to have thrown the towel in after going a couple down.

If we carry on beating teams near us , that should be enough for this year but some serious surgery needs to be done in the summer.

Take away the loans and we need about 7 new signings if not more.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Super said:

What has his form got to do with coaching? He was brilliant last season that wasn't down to our coaching he is just out of his depth.

Agree. I think blaming the 'coaching' on Freemans abysmal season is ridiculous. Especially when players like Kodjia, Pack & Flint have improved & adapted throughout the season. Even if the coaching isn't as good as it should be Freeman isn't good enough for this level.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Looking at the stats from the Rotherham game, Leeds had 67% possession and 26 shots at goal. If we can show a reaction to this game on Tuesday I fully expect us to win comfortably.

It is slightly more than a fluke that just about all their recent games have been like that! They are however finding a way, time and time again.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Judging a midfield player as poor after our midfield looked very poor in a game is an excuse?

What is a legitimate criticism in your mind if that isn't?!

Singling him out when not at the game and then people at the game saying he wasn't any worse than anybody else, that's not legitimate criticism.

Bobby has been great recently.

It's people looking for a reason to criticise him, rather than actually witnessing something to criticise.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Singling him out when not at the game and then people at the game saying he wasn't any worse than anybody else, that's not legitimate criticism.

Bobby has been great recently.

It's people looking for a reason to criticise him, rather than actually witnessing something to criticise.

It's a game of opinions, people have mentioned quite a few names on this thread today (Kodjia and Baker in particular for example, and Freeman for his shooting). You're just picking on Bobby because I assume you rate him highly and so any criticism of him cannot be legitimate and is just people finding an excuse to get on his back. Saying a player was poor today isn't necessarily "getting on his back", it's discussing the player in the match day thread... that's what this is here for surely.

All our midfield were poor today - Bobby included, in my opinion. People can have a negative opinion of a player without holding a particular grudge or anything against them - in my mind if anything our academy players get an easier ride than most.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

in my mind if anything our academy players get an easier ride than most.

I think it's the opposite. Reid and Burns are written off by a lot of people when they've been given limited opportunity and have done well when given the chance. Look at how well Burns is doing on loan and how great Reid was against Fulham. Reid has been far more influential to us this season in his cameos than his competitor within the squad, Freeman, has in countless minutes on the pitch.

25 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

It's a game of opinions, people have mentioned quite a few names on this thread today (Kodjia and Baker in particular for example, and Freeman for his shooting). You're just picking on Bobby because I assume you rate him highly and so any criticism of him cannot be legitimate and is just people finding an excuse to get on his back. Saying a player was poor today isn't necessarily "getting on his back", it's discussing the player in the match day thread... that's what this is here for surely.

All our midfield were poor today - Bobby included, in my opinion. People can have a negative opinion of a player without holding a particular grudge or anything against them - in my mind if anything our academy players get an easier ride than most.

100% agree.

Our midfield looked distinctly lightweight against theirs and just didn't get close enough but perhaps you have to look at where both clubs were last season rather than criticise our players lack of quality.

We are never going to bridge that gap in a season, it will take several seasons just like Brighton.

What we have to do is take our chances better and be more clinical when they present themselves and cut the individual errors to a minimum.

Having said that, hats off to the 500 or so away fans for their support as you put the 14,500 home support to shame and showed why we are proud to support Bristol City.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He was busy and positive , get over his physique and look at the free kicks he gets when being pushed over .

I thought he had quite a good game today .

Fair dinkum; i thought he was poor and partly made poorer because the rest of the midfield were also poor but that suggests that a decent midfielder which we have been crying out for since match day one would help him. He needs to stand alone like all players. Not sure he can.

3 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

Looking at the stats from the Rotherham game, Leeds had 67% possession and 26 shots at goal. If we can show a reaction to this game on Tuesday I fully expect us to win comfortably.

I hope you are right but you might be in for a rude awakening; i expect a Warnock side to be aggressive and, if we allow them the space and dire marking of the Hull game, expansionist too. If we manage to man mark properly we stand a chance but they will then resort to hoof ball and fouling.