IGNORED

The Official Hull City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Today was bad (I turned it off after the third goal to be honest) but it's part and parcel of being a small, newly-promoted team in this division. I still think we're capable of surviving and will prove ourselves in fixtures against teams that don't contain Prem quality players even on their bench. We really need a ball playing centre half as pacy strikers can completely turn the Baker and Flint duo. Not the best day for Jonny K, he was wasteful when not invisible. Bobby Reid is really not good enough for the Championship, sorry lad I really want you to be good enough but it just isn't to be. No steel in midfield that Smith usually provides- can't help that with Pack and Bryan in the centre we are still too lightweight and it showed today.

However, we have to remember that there are sides in this league far worse than us. Bolton are doomed, Charlton won't stay up with what is surrounding the club. MK don't have their two key players that made last season so special for them (Afobe & Alli) and I think they'll take the last spot. We need to build next year and clear out this reliance on loans, as we can't just rely on a couple of clubs entering oblivion again like they have this season.

Edited by Newquay-Red
5 minutes ago, Super said:

No real damage done, if they think the job is done this is the kick up the ass they need.

Can't argue with that.

Also; hope LJ and Pembo look at Charlton's late win, then impose on the players that it is far from certain we're safe.

An injection of leadership in the shape of Wilbs and hopefully Smith too on Tuesday will give us a little more edge.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

He is a ******* dinosaur, LJ will keep us no problem at all and we will have a young hungry manager in place for the start of the season. Who will Rotherham have and how much will it have cost them to pay into Colin's retirement plan and then recruit someone new and do it all over again?

Five wins and a draw out of six for the dinosaur now....

...and I do genuinely admire your confidence that we will stay up with 'no problem at all' - I don't think we are safe yet and I think it will go down to the wire. We've shown that we can get stuffed 0-4 and 4-0 just as easily as we can win 6-0...it's a crazy and unpredictable division so Rotherham's amazingly consistent recent run gives them a great chance of survival.

I'm not sure Rotherham are looking any further than the end of this season at the moment, they obviously just want to stay up. But also, how do you know they aren't already carefully looking properly for their next manager in the background whilst Warnock does his short term stuff?

We could well have a young and hungry manager in place for the start of next season...but in which division?

Having just shelled out over £500 for a season ticket for next season I just hope it's in the championship....

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

That won't happen mate...can see us being very shrewd.

Totally agree...You've only got to look at the GD of the top five and compare that with the rest of the league.

Not only that, against Brighton and today we were chasing shadows. The control, movement and passing was far better than us. Both teams looked bigger and stronger.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

To start with a little perspective.

While we have had a decent run WE are in a relegation fight after promotion. THEY are going for automatic promotion after being in the Prem last year. They were bigger, stronger and simply better than us.  

Today while JB and Pack did OK they were out gunned , Korey would have made a difference but not to the result. We were off the pace and Hull were good. At the end of the day if we can win Tuesday , it will be better than winning today and losing Tuesday. There were no obvious pluses today, all they can do is move on and get a result against Rotherham.

Same question to you then, will a midfield performance like today's get anything against a Warnock set up side?, that's the real perspective.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Same question to you then, will a midfield performance like today's get anything against a Warnock set up side?, that's the real perspective.

I doubt we'll have the same setup. Korey will be back and Bryan or Reid probably won't play in the centre in such an important game. 

Edited by Newquay-Red
  • Admin

Is it silly to be concerned we might still go down?  Another two or three defeats on the trot and I'll be bloody concerned, as it stands, I try and remain hopeful we'll stay up.  Not sure why really, the Championship is a farce, clubs getting parachute payments are going to be very difficult to overcome, the least that should happen is that clubs without parachute payments should be able to inject the equivalent in, without falling foul of financial regulations.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Five wins and a draw out of six for the dinosaur now....

...and I do genuinely admire your confidence that we will stay up with 'no problem at all' - I don't think we are safe yet and I think it will go down to the wire. We've shown that we can get stuffed 0-4 and 4-0 just as easily as we can win 6-0...it's a crazy and unpredictable division so Rotherham's amazingly consistent recent run gives them a great chance of survival.

I'm not sure Rotherham are looking any further than the end of this season at the moment, they obviously just want to stay up. But also, how do you know they aren't already carefully looking properly for their next manager in the background whilst Warnock does his short term stuff?

We could well have a young and hungry manager in place for the start of next season...but in which division?

Having just shelled out over £500 for a season ticket for next season I just hope it's in the championship....

We won 6-0 because Bolton are effectively a Downs League team. Sounded like a poor performance today, and playing with two up top was suicidal by LJ. No way are we safe yet.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Safe journey to all those making the trip to 'ull. I'd snap your hand off for a point but I suspect this could be one of those games where we show we're susceptible to a pasting. 

There is a plus to today. Although it's not a plus to anyone other than me. And it's not exactly a massive plus in the first place... But I wrote this earlier. Aren't I great?

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Exactly mate,but we will be in exactly the same position this time next year if something doesn't change

Completely agree. But it should just be accepted fact that this is where we are.

i thought we would finish 18th t the start of the year and we did nothing, absolutely nothing, from April last year onwards, to demonstrate any commitment to some sort of larger goal.

if we do nothing then we will be in this position next year, yes, but the here and is all that matters right now and fluke result aside we were never going to win today so don't be too upset. when people say 'but its the manner of the defeat that gets me' it pisses me off as what did you expect? We aren't good enough to 'give the a game'. boro away is a freak result, they happen over 46 games.

On tot he next one.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I'm trying to put a positive spin on it :whistle:

Seriously, the midfield we had out today may struggle. Korey will hopefully be fit , but with no game time recently it may be expecting too much. I thought JB did some really good things today, but they still managed to pass around us. Tuesday will be a different kettle of fish , but we will still be playing a team on a run and full of confidence, all be it nearer in ability to us than Hull are. We are a midfield option short, LJ missed a trick by no bringing in the extra player, one thing with KS, he doesn't seem to need too much time to get up to speed in games.

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There is a plus to today. Although it's not a plus to anyone other than me. And it's not exactly a massive plus in the first place... But I wrote this earlier. Aren't I great?

That all depends if you would of followed thru with the snap your hand off if we would of got a point 

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Except Charlton, Fulham, Brentford and Rotherham :whistle:.

Only one of those teams is in the relegation zone, and one is above us.

Frankly I'm glad Fulham won today; realistically MK Dons will struggle with their run in, and is rather they stayed as far behind us as possible.

Said a few weeks ago that the Rotherham game might end up with both of us not badly served by a draw, and that is the situation we find ourselves.

Depending on what happens on Tuesday, Rotherham against MK Dons next weekend could effectively put the former out of real danger, and make it a straight fight between Fulham and MK for that final spot - trick is we just need to grab enough points to stay out of the equation.

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm trying to put a positive spin on it :whistle:

Seriously, the midfield we had out today may struggle. Korey will hopefully be fit , but with no game time recently it may be expecting too much. I thought JB did some really good things today, but they still managed to pass around us. Tuesday will be a different kettle of fish , but we will still be playing a team on a run and full of confidence, all be it nearer in ability to us than Hull are. We are a midfield option short, LJ missed a trick by no bringing in the extra player, one thing with KS, he doesn't seem to need too much time to get up to speed in games.

My positive spin is that last time we were dicked 4-0 under LJ we came back with a win.

• Like 2

I only saw the second half, so wont let anything I've read about the first half cloud my judgement. 

But....we did look fairly clueless. I have no idea what our general tactics were but there were a lot of ineffective long balls and there was little or no link up between defence > midfield, midfield > forwards. The general disjointed, lethargic approach reminded me a lot of us towards the end of SC's reign.

I dont think Hull were anything special. I just don't think tbey really had to work that hard to move us around and create openings. They were efficienct and looked solid at the back but nothing spectacular. I guess they did what they needed to. Final goal was clearly handball. Poor decision.

i spent a the last 15 minutes or so purely watching their shape in attack and in defence. They go in numbers as a team, and I think that's the difference today. We looked like a bunch of individuals and there was so little option for anyone on the ball.

The positives: I thought Wilbs made a difference, and Freemans first few minutes helped inject some life, but he has to score. I thought it unlucky in real time, but the replay from behind the goal - he's got acres to aim at. Other than that we had no clear chances in 2nd half.

Onto Rotherham we go. We really need a full team lerformance on Tuesday. Can't help but feel Korey could be just the man to bring out the performance we need