IGNORED

Jonathan Kodjia, merci beacoup.

reddogkev

7 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Yes great signing...funny how LJ kept dropping him.

Funny how our form improved with a more tactically astute man in charge who isn't afraid to try something different given the current opponent.

That includes dropping your top scorer.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm......I maybe a lone voice on the topic of Codger. Whilst I agree that his goals have been crucial in our survival I think that without him whoever played in his position for City may well have got a similar amount of goals..

But as others have said he'll be far more of threat in Championship next season. This seasons experience will have done wonders for his game. That said I hope he beefs up over summer and also hope that Championship defenders haven't worked him out.

Errrm, he's only got 1 more appearance this season than Wilbraham...

No chance of that happening, he hasn't even worked himself out yet.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm......I maybe a lone voice on the topic of Codger. Whilst I agree that his goals have been crucial in our survival I think that without him whoever played in his position for City may well have got a similar amount of goals..

But as others have said he'll be far more of threat in Championship next season. This seasons experience will have done wonders for his game. That said I hope he beefs up over summer and also hope that Championship defenders haven't worked him out.

But not to the extent Luke Freeman did. Luke's bulking definitely impacted his agility and initial acceleration which took away a lot of his ability to beat a defender.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Based on what exactly? Do you really think Wilbraham or Agard could have got as many goals?

Would either have them have been able to score the goal at 2:10 in this game?

24 minutes ago, City169 said:

I don't get the obsession with having players "bulk up". I wonder if Arsenal fans were always saying Henry or Kanu needed to bulk up, or Liverpool fans with Michael Owen (when he was a good prospect).

I said the same the other day when Bobby Reid was being discussed, C169. 

Reid looks like the Incredible Hulk stood next to Craig Bryson, but few would deny that the Derby man was one of ghe best players on the pitch when we played them.

Wilbs has done blinking well, too. 8 goals. Isn't that the most he's ever scored in one season above L1 level? Good going at 36. No wonder he wants another year. Top man.

As for Kodj - there are many flaws in his game. These must be some of the reason why Cardiff and others decided not to buy him. Really hope we hang onto him and get another season watching him, backed up by a stronger, more competitive team.

39 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Robbored being a 'lone voice' and completely and utterly wrong.

Gosh, how original. 

Not a lone voice. I tend to agree this time - and I was the one who said I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he left - slightly tongue in cheek.

He has spent an awful lot of time running up blind alleys on his own. He frequently loses possession when he could be starting a move.

Overall he has scored a good few goals, but I think Agard or someone similar would have done as well, even with less natural skill. I think the jury is still out on whether he's a natural finisher.

If he left without being replaced, it would be an issue. But I wouldn't really be concerned if someone bought him, if we made a profit and replaced him with say Wells.

20 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Not a lone voice. I tend to agree this time - and I was the one who said I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he left - slightly tongue in cheek.

He has spent an awful lot of time running up blind alleys on his own. He frequently loses possession when he could be starting a move.

Overall he has scored a good few goals, but I think Agard or someone similar would have done as well, even with less natural skill. I think the jury is still out on whether he's a natural finisher.

If he left without being replaced, it would be an issue. But I wouldn't really be concerned if someone bought him, if we made a profit and replaced him with say Wells.

Kieran Agard that got 14 in 48 last season at a lower level in a team that dominated almost every game?

9 million Jordan Rhodes has two less than Kodjia having spent half the season playing for probably the best team in the division. Sam Baldock has scored 3 (his goal against us at the AMEX was clearly an own goal) in 29 for a team that could well get automatically promoted. Experienced Championship centre forward Chris Martin has two less than Kodjia playing in a team targetting promotion.  Portuguese international Lucas Joao who like Kodjia is having his first season in England (ok he's younger than Kodjia) has 8 in 44 for a team in 6th place. I could go on..

I really do despair if people cannot see that Kodjia scoring 18 goals in our team isn't a very commendable effort.

As for weaknesses in his game, yeah there is and he does need to improve at certain things, but if he was perfect he probably wouldn't be getting signed by us for 2 million pounds would he?

If he was playing for any of the teams around us we would all be sat here saying what a good player he is and what a shame we didn't have a forward who could score that many. Well maybe you wouldn't as you think Kieran Agard would have done as well. 

He's been great and his 18 goals have been invaluable.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Personally I think that saying that anyone else playing instead of Kodjia 'may have done just as well' barely qualifies as an opinion, but hey that's just me.

How many of Codgers goals were down to his individual brilliance? Not many I would argue.

The point (which you obviously missed) was that pretty much any player worth the name of striker  would have scored a similar amount of goals as Codger and who knows, maybe a few more. Codger did miss a few..........:facepalm:

Goalscoring is largely about knowing where the goal is and being in the right place at the right time and and there are many strikers that are pretty good at both.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How many of Codgers goals were down to his individual brilliance? Not many I would argue.

The point (which you obviously missed) was that pretty much any player worth the name of striker  would have scored a similar amount of goals as Codger and who knows, maybe a few more. Codger did miss a few..........:facepalm:

Goalscoring is largely about knowing where the goal is and being in the right place at the right time and and there are many strikers that are pretty good at both.

A- Yeah it's definitely me that's missing the point.

B- His name is spelt Kodjia.

C- I'm all ears. Just a selection of names from this endless list of forwards who would have definitely scored 18 goals in our team would be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

as is kodjia in reference to the last sentence

3 hours ago, aller g said:

Interesting, he's being made to wear a device to monitor his sleeping as he stays awake playing games on his phone and has been turning in for training extremely tired. LJ did a little bit of investigation and was made aware that this was the case. I bet JK is annoyed with the team mate who grassed him up!!

It was Fordy bombarding him with ' friend ' requests all the time that kept him up !

I think the issue over other strikers scoring the same amount of goals or more is a little misleading....

Kodjia is unconventional. He reminds me a bit of Cisse @ Newcastle, not in the way he plays but in the way that he can just do something brilliant out of nowhere. You can't train that type of flair into a player.

It's a bit of a red herring the fact he makes poor runs and can go missing in games, as he isn't that type of player. Whereas Agard, who I think is a natural striker with much better movement, won't score the amount of goals Kodjia would, as he doesn't have that 'je ne say kwar' (or however you spell it).

Kodjia wouldn't have scored more had he been a well trained & intelligent finished article, as the service to him for much of the season has been naff. He has only done so well because of his individual flair.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Kodjia has scored in the following games this season:

• Brentford, Home 1 goal
  • Burnley, Home, 1 goal
  • Birmingham, Away, 2 goals
  • Ipswich, Away, 1 goal
  • MK Dons, Home, 1 goal
  • Fulham, Home, 1 goal
  • Wolves, Home, 1 goal
  • Huddersfield, Away, 1 goal
  • West Brom, Away, 1 goal (FA Cup)
  • MK Dons, Away, 2 goals
  • Nottingham Forest, Away, 1 goal
  • Bolton, Home, 2 goals
  • Sheffield Wednesday, Home, 1 goal
  • Derby, Home, 1 goal
  • Blackburn, Away, 1 goal

totalling 17 league goals for the season or 34% of our entire goals scored

Of those goals, I would say 27% (below) Agard or Wilbraham wouldn't have been able to score so can be put down to "individual brilliance"

• Birmingham Away (second goal)
  • Ipswich Away
  • MK Dons Away
  • Derby, Home
  • Blackburn, Away 

Watching his highlights he scores his fair share of poacher' goals, a few individual runs and a few headers - so he can also be in the right place at the right time.

Name me 5 REALISTIC strikers who you think could have scored 17 league goals in this side?

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But he does peel away from defenders and make his own space. His movement is both one of his strengths as weaknesses; in and around the box he makes himself impossible to mark - individual brilliance which may not be that obvious. His movement is also a weakness because outside the box he's a bit too eager to get forward. 

You say there are plenty of strikers that are good at knowing where the goal is and being in the right place and you're right, there are. None quite as good as Kodjia in our squad though, which is why you're remark of anyone could have had his return is inconceivable to many. 

18 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

:facepalm:

Even LJ has said how tactically naive he is, and surely most would accept he has been hugely frustrating a lot of the time. Albert was similar in his time and divided opinion (more so than after he left).

So yes he's naturally skilful but could do so much better. I hope he does, but equally I don't think he's irreplaceable.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The point (which you obviously missed) was that pretty much any player worth the name of striker  would have scored a similar amount of goals as Codger and who knows, maybe a few more. Codger did miss a few..........

The point is, surely, that they DIDN'T. Barring 4, no other striker in this division did get a similar amount of goals. 

Come in, don't be so ungracious: you have been around long enough to know how rare a commodity it is to have a natural goal scorer in the side. Doesn't matter whether they are down to natural skill, brilliance, being in the right place, or what. 20 goals a season is 20 goals a season and players who can get that are worth their weight etc.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Completely agree. He does frustrate with many aspects of his play, but you can't knock the the amount of goals he has managed this season. Maybe next year with work on his weak areas during the pre season we will have a diamond on our hands.

My City Player of the Year.

Saw him for the first time in an abject team performance away v Yeovil.  He showed enough in that game to make me think he 'had something'.  He looked quick, could create his own chances, if maybe a bit of a snatcher on occasions.  He also showed good appreciation for others in better positions....something he's not always done that well.

Within 2 minutes v Brentford he became a cult hero!

Of course he's not perfect, but €3m doesn't buy you perfect.  He has created several tap-ins, that haven't been taken throughout the season.  The Wagstaff goal v Bolton, was one of the only ones I can remember where so done has gambled on a ball across the six-yard box.

He's scored predominantly with his right foot, a few headers, and finally got one with his swinger!

At times he's led the line well, not in the same way as Wilbs would, but still effectively.

For me, one of his best games was Ipswich at home.  That was a game where many thought he gave us nothing, no creativity, no goals.  Yet, his willingness to compete with T.Smith and Berra, and then run them down the channels, was so important in creating space for our back 4 to push up and condense the play but also allow K.Smith and Pack to get into advanced positions, Smith actually having a few shots!  He won throw-ins and corners through persistence and ran himself into the ground for 65 minutes before coming off. To cap it off, LJ confirmed as much on Twentyman;s show on BBCRB on the Monday evening.

Oh yeah, 18 goals too, mainly celebrated in style.....WBA!

I don't think he needs to bulk up either.  

One final point....a disappointment for me.  I predicted that he would score at least one goal closing down the keeper.  Jimmy - you've got 2 games left to do it.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Even LJ has said how tactically naive he is, and surely most would accept he has been hugely frustrating a lot of the time. Albert was similar in his time and divided opinion (more so than after he left).

So yes he's naturally skilful but could do so much better. I hope he does, but equally I don't think he's irreplaceable.

Didn't LJ correct that quote though.  I think more has been made of it than needs to.

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

If it wasn't for our brilliant Frenchmen, we'd have been relegated without any doubt whatsoever.

For 2 million quid, the man is a steal (okay, not quite in the scale of Riyad Mahrez, but close enough in my book).

He has scored the goals to keep us in the division, and promises a lot more to come next year.

And his dance moves are sublime, skillful, if not a little strange... probably all the rage in the French suburbs.

I salute you Kodjia, long may you continue to score goals for City, and either fire us to the top, or get there yourself in the coming years.

What's your favourite performance of his this season Kev? Mine would be the first game of the season against Brentford when he looked unstoppable! 

I despair of some of the posters on this forum, how can anyone be in the slightest bit negative about his first season in English football, a fantastic return of 17 goals, bear in mind that the 4 scorers above him are all penalty takers. If JK took our penalties (and assuming he scored them all) he would now be on 21 goals and still we would have ungrateful wingers on here

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

You remind me of conversations I've had with non football fans who clearly don't grasp or understand football. Completely clueless. 

21 minutes ago, harrys said:

I despair of some of the posters on this forum, how can anyone be in the slightest bit negative about his first season in English football, a fantastic return of 17 goals, bear in mind that the 4 scorers above him are all penalty takers. If JK took our penalties (and assuming he scored them all) he would now be on 21 goals and still we would have ungrateful wingers on here

Codger had a decent season considering that it was his first in English football. That said he didn't impress me with his natural goal scoring in the way that Bob Taylor, Tony Thorpe and even Steve Brooker did. I accept that they were experienced English players but to me Codger hasn't - yet, got that natural instinct.

As I posted earlier Codger will be a better striker next season. 

Archived