IGNORED

Newcastle Fans Tonight

Sniper

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Shearer is banging on about mis management at Newcastle ?

Probably.

Not sure how much blame he can shoulder after being in charge for only 8 games, 7 years ago.

58 minutes ago, redfred said:

Their capacity back then was 30,000. I remember this because when Keegan took over they jumped from 14,500 in their previous game to a capacity crowd of 30k for Keegan's first game (Barnsley 3-0?).

We played them next I think and got thumped 5-0.

I was sure we were Keegan's first home game?  Memory failing me possibly.

EDIT:

from http://www.themag.co.uk/2013/02/kevin-keegan-was-newcastles-real-revolutionary/ ....

His arrival was Wednesday 5th of February, his coronation as King was to be only three days later.

The Toon was gripped with Keegan Fever. The game was against Bristol City at home. The date was Saturday February 8th. The clamour was such that the gate that day doubled to a near capacity 29,263 and the place was rocking.

21 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

EDIT:

from http://www.themag.co.uk/2013/02/kevin-keegan-was-newcastles-real-revolutionary/ ....

His arrival was Wednesday 5th of February, his coronation as King was to be only three days later.

The Toon was gripped with Keegan Fever. The game was against Bristol City at home. The date was Saturday February 8th. The clamour was such that the gate that day doubled to a near capacity 29,263 and the place was rocking.

I was there that day, Newcastle fans were in the away end with us.  We barely (never) made a peep but the atmosphere from them was incredible.  Don't think many of them knew any City were there.

1 hour ago, redfred said:

Their capacity back then was 30,000. I remember this because when Keegan took over they jumped from 14,500 in their previous game to a capacity crowd of 30k for Keegan's first game (Barnsley 3-0?).

34 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

EDIT:

Keegan's first game was a 3-0 win against us (the game mentioned by Cotswold Red above)  

Our 5-0 loss at St James' Park was a few months later, the following season. 

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Partially agree.  But the players must take a huge amount of criticism/blame too.  They've been absolutely spineless for the whole season.  They've stolen a living.

Of course but his managerial appointments have been a disaster.

Taken from the Newcastle Chronicle - No Wonder we are struggling to compete

"Promotion to the Premier League is worth at least £170m for Burnley and Middlesbrough this summer; they are guaranteed £96m in TV income, plus more than £70m in parachute payments over three seasons even if they go down next season.

At the moment, the Premier League’s parachute payments are extremely complex and will change again next season; but right now, the Magpies could earn around £70m - but only if they are down for three seasons.

During the first season, Newcastle will get 55 per cent of the equal share of broadcast money paid to Premier League sides in 2016-17; probably around £30m.

Should they fail to win promotion, then during year two they would get just 45 per cent of the Premier League’s equal share; probably around £25m.

Finally, if they are down for a third year, Newcastle would get one last parachute payment of 20 per cent of the Premier League’s equal share; likely to be around £15m.

In terms of Championship TV revenue, the basic figure will be a meagre £3m, plus individual match fees for being shown on the box"

8 minutes ago, SimonL said:

"Promotion to the Premier League is worth at least £170m for Burnley and Middlesbrough this summer; they are guaranteed £96m in TV income, plus more than £70m in parachute payments over three seasons even if they go down next season.

At the moment, the Premier League’s parachute payments are extremely complex and will change again next season; but right now, the Magpies could earn around £70m - but only if they are down for three seasons.

During the first season, Newcastle will get 55 per cent of the equal share of broadcast money paid to Premier League sides in 2016-17; probably around £30m.

Should they fail to win promotion, then during year two they would get just 45 per cent of the Premier League’s equal share; probably around £25m.

Finally, if they are down for a third year, Newcastle would get one last parachute payment of 20 per cent of the Premier League’s equal share; likely to be around £15m.

In terms of Championship TV revenue, the basic figure will be a meagre £3m, plus individual match fees for being shown on the box"

Removing parachute payments is the only answer.  It will teach clubs to be a little more careful and to save something for a rainy day.  FFP should mean that parachute payments aren't needed to bail teams out anyway.  Throw a few relegation clauses in player's contracts too and things will be much fairer over time.

9 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Parachute payments annoy me. They need to stop as of next season- If you get £100 million for finishing last and still can't get your books in order then you don't deserve help to do so.

On their support:

2124.jpg

This is the picture the guardian has used today to illustrate Newcastle fans. Just look at that demographic!

Ok, it is one picture. It might be their "singing section," it might be ...... blah, blah. But look at that demographic. Male, young, wearing colours. No families, no ladies (well, one. No offence, ladies), no sitting down, no looking at phones, no flags (!), no f*#*ing clackers, no grumpy middle aged seen-it-all-before can't-be-arsed men,  no wonder they make a racket. This could be a picture from the 1970s. Could you get a similar picture at AG?

I am not advocating more young males at the expense of families, ladies, young 'uns. Everyone's welcome here in my book. But if BristolSport want an atmosphere.......

(The Atyeo is good, but I don't think 1000 is enough).

Here's another pic of the Toon Army from the guardian, just in case any of our ladies were offended:

2811.jpg

She does look a bit grumpy, mind. This was at Villa the other day, though.

I don't care who's in the crowd really, I just wish everyone was a little more involved and vocal. Not necessarily singing songs, either, but making some noise in response to events of the pitch.

We'll be up against it with 2,700 of them in the Atyeo next season

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

EDIT:

Clearly it is my memory failing me, CR! I'll have to check the Barnsley connection out, as I expect I have got the fixtures arse about face. Old age does not come alone.....

18 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Is there any real hatred between those two clubs though? I always thought both sets of fans got on really well due to the close proximity of the grounds. 

There is little of the hooliganism you get in some City derbies but Dundee and Dundee United still have a fierce rivalry. For most of history up to the 70s Dundee were the top dogs, Dundee Hibernian (later United) were the Catholic team and always struggled. From the 70s onwards it all changed and United even won the title at Dundee's ground (imagine the Gas wining the title at the Gate ...I feel sick). Dundee fans loved sending them down and reclaiming the top dogs in Dundee title that they have very rarely enjoyed since the 70s. Much credit most go to a certain Paul Hartley.  

When working up in the North East, I took a couple of the lads into Toon for a Chinese buffet and a few beers.  We sat on a bench in Bigg Market having a quick tab before going into a pub.  Some local girl came staggering up to me and shouted about 20 to 30 words in my ear.  I sad to say that my only response was "I'm sorry my love.......but that was just noise!".  She smiled nicely, staggered off a few paces then called Ralph.

Love the place, classy ladies and all    :drunk2:

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 14:10, Steve Watts said:

Well if you want to know how it feels to be relegated by your local rivals we could always ask one of the resident blue few I here I guess...!

Err, enlighten me then! I can remember us gaining promotion  an stopping you going up on the night in 1990, but unless it was way before my time, I'm  pretty confident you have never relegated us.

11 hours ago, redfred said:

Keegan's first game in charge was against Bristol City....

4 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

Err, enlighten me then! I can remember us gaining promotion  an stopping you going up on the night in 1990, but unless it was way before my time, I'm  pretty confident you have never relegated us.

Do we really need to remind you?

I'd also say us beating you in the JPT also had a huge bearing on your relegation to non league.

On 11 May 2016 at 04:04, BS4 on Tour... said:

Big Sam - still never been relegated. As usual whenever he was suggested as a possible target for us when he was unemployed, on here the wise sages bellowed 'no'

He is quite simply a solid, reliable manager who achieves whatever he is asked - took Bolton to 8th in the premier league, took West Ham up into the premier league, consolidated and finished top half. Now he's kept Sunderland up.

Great manager, but the sort of people who disagree are the same ones who dislike Neil Warnock - "Warnock and Allardyce are dinosaurs, past it, yesterday's men, we need modern, forward thinking foreign coaches...'

Bollox....

No doubt there is a place in the game for all types; one size does not fit all and all that. I happen to have no ill feeling toward either Colin or Sam. They add entertainment to the game which, i think and to an increasing degree, is being flooded with rather lifeless looking touchline johny foreigners. 

On 12 May 2016 at 12:09, Phileas Fogg said:

I wonder if they will explore giving the entire Atyeo to away fans with the current 1k in the Atyeo being temporarily shifted to the Williams top tier with it also being opened for general sale. 

Plagiarism will get u everywhere or the beauty of mind and coincidence!?

17 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Removing parachute payments is the only answer.  It will teach clubs to be a little more careful and to save something for a rainy day.  FFP should mean that parachute payments aren't needed to bail teams out anyway.  Throw a few relegation clauses in player's contracts too and things will be much fairer over time.

The Prem and the 72 need to bury their differences and amalgamate so that the anathema of paracute payments goes forever and is replaced by fair payments for all 4 divisions. 

Why is life so simple to the many but so darned complicated for the few?!!  

5 hours ago, Just Red said:

Do we really need to remind you?

I'd also say us beating you in the JPT also had a huge bearing on your relegation to non league.

I'm going to have to assume you are talking about the 1-1 in our relegation season then. Taking a point off us when we had ten games left ( and had 3 in hand over our rivals)does not constitute relegating us I'm afraid. By all means if it makes you happy- and I'm sure it does- you carry on believing you relegated us, but I'm afraid the truth is that we did it all by ourselves!

As for the JPT comment, I'm even more confused. I've heard of 'gaslogic' but I think we may have just discovered a different strain of the virus.

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

No doubt there is a place in the game for all types; one size does not fit all and all that. I happen to have no ill feeling toward either Colin or Sam. They add entertainment to the game which, i think and to an increasing degree, is being flooded with rather lifeless looking touchline johny foreigners. 

Plagiarism will get u everywhere or the beauty of mind and coincidence!?

The Prem and the 72 need to bury their differences and amalgamate so that the anathema of paracute payments goes forever and is replaced by fair payments for all 4 divisions. 

Why is life so simple to the many but so darned complicated for the few?!!  

£££££

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Nothing is funnier than being relegated at home on the last day by a team wearing your kit. I'll take that ahead of us doing the job. 

I'll give you that one, if it ever happens to you I will allow myself a wry smile (and possibly a Gloucester Road pub crawl in an open top bus)

Archived