IGNORED

History of Bristol City Kits...

spudski

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Do Bristol City as a club actually have an appointed club historian?

Things get lost as time goes by, people who remember things first hand die off sadly. Then we are left with papers and reports from back in the day, before the advent of the Internet. Then it often becomes a guessing game or misinterpreted.

@spudski I think Dave Woods is Bristol Citys historian. He has written several books on the club. I think he is due to release another one soon. If @handsofclay can confirm this. I know he has done a lot of work with Dave Woods, it is all interesting stuff. 

1 hour ago, Threshing Red said:

@spudski I think Dave Woods is Bristol Citys historian. He has written several books on the club. I think he is due to release another one soon. If @handsofclay can confirm this. I know he has done a lot of work with Dave Woods, it is all interesting stuff. 

He was due to release one which included the League One Championship winning season but haven't heard anything on that topic for a little while. Back in the mid-1980s when I first met David Woods he was recognised by the club as its historian, wrote for the programme etc and would be approached by club directors with ideas for books such as in 1994 when the real centenary of the club approached. However, there have been other occasions when the club hasn't been as accommodating in recognising him as the man who is THE Bristol City history buff.

Having visited him several times I can vouch for the fact that he has a mountain of publications, pictures and other memorabilia on Bristol City (and Bristol Bulldogs). I believe I am right in saying that unlike the historians at other clubs who have completed their club's line ups in every match they have played, David Woods has not only done this but been the only club historian to discover the line ups of every team who have faced Bristol City. If any man in the country deserves to be recognised by his club as their official historian it is that man.

All the dedication he has given to the club and football I think it is time for the board to give him acknowledgement for his hard work and an official title of the club historian. But I am not surprised in the way it has been dealt with by this club, they have been unprofessional for so long. They can't even recognize their own birthday. If it wasn't for the fans recognising things like this the club would be soulless. Really looking forward to David's new book, hope it will get released soon. 

Thanks @handsofclay for all the information you have given me, very much appreciated

5 hours ago, handsofclay said:

He was due to release one which included the League One Championship winning season but haven't heard anything on that topic for a little while. Back in the mid-1980s when I first met David Woods he was recognised by the club as its historian, wrote for the programme etc and would be approached by club directors with ideas for books such as in 1994 when the real centenary of the club approached. However, there have been other occasions when the club hasn't been as accommodating in recognising him as the man who is THE Bristol City history buff.

Having visited him several times I can vouch for the fact that he has a mountain of publications, pictures and other memorabilia on Bristol City (and Bristol Bulldogs). I believe I am right in saying that unlike the historians at other clubs who have completed their club's line ups in every match they have played, David Woods has not only done this but been the only club historian to discover the line ups of every team who have faced Bristol City. If any man in the country deserves to be recognised by his club as their official historian it is that man.

Dave has written several things for The Bountyhunter, indeed we have the next one already written from him, on testimonials, and is a top, top bloke. But, as handsofclay states, he's quite a bit miffed that City have sought to use his extensive knowledge by way of writing in the programmes in the past, whilst concurrently refusing to sell his books in the club shop. He has written stuff for the Rovers programmes, too. His knowledge is top-notch and it is a crying shame City shun him in such a way. I don't know what his stance is on the museum, I usually let him take the lead in telling us stuff, but City might have to do a bit of apologising first, if he is to be involved. He couldn't have been more accommodating for us (The BH), every time we've asked for help.

10 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Dave has written several things for The Bountyhunter, indeed we have the next one already written from him, on testimonials, and is a top, top bloke. But, as handsofclay states, he's quite a bit miffed that City have sought to use his extensive knowledge by way of writing in the programmes in the past, whilst concurrently refusing to sell his books in the club shop. He has written stuff for the Rovers programmes, too. His knowledge is top-notch and it is a crying shame City shun him in such a way. I don't know what his stance is on the museum, I usually let him take the lead in telling us stuff, but City might have to do a bit of apologising first, if he is to be involved. He couldn't have been more accommodating for us (The BH), every time we've asked for help.

Couldn't agree more with you mate, I really don't understand our club at times

9 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I was being very accommodating to Bristol City by not stating any incidents of their shabby treatment of him. EnclosureSurge has been more forthright and for that I applaud you. Dave speaks his mind and doesn't mince words but it is because he is passionate about the club. I can only guess he rubbed one or two long forgotten directors up the wrong way many moons ago with his views and his books contain criticisms of City policy, or lack of it, down the years. His books convey an inordinate amount of information as well as his love for the club, but they are not PR jobs.

It must be very hard being so passionate about a Club, and spending many hours of your life dedicated to documenting it's history, but feeling so bitter towards those that run it.

You see it at other Clubs as well, with ex players and ex employees.

Always worth remembering, the Club is the fans and everything associated with that.

Directors and Owners are just Custodians and come and go. They leave their mark, and make their history...if they want to leave a legacy....then leave a good one.

On 10/11/2016 at 22:53, EnclosureSurge said:

It always seems to be a constant that we have some right bellends behind the scenes.

Archived