IGNORED

History of Bristol City Kits...

spudski

...not sure whether anyone would be up for this, but we have some long summer months ahead.

Not sure whether everyone is aware of this site...but it shows every home kit we've worn since we started as a Club.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

What I thought would be a challenge, would be to find what away kit we wore for each season, if possible, and post them up on this thread.

Hopefully by the end of the summer, we could have a piece of documented history to refer too, showing many of our away kits.

I noticed a few of the 'Bigger' teams have their away kits documented on that site.

Would be nice to have ours.

Good idea or not?

57 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haha...brilliant Woodsy....solved by a mug.

Where did you get that...and I wonder where they got all that info from?

7 minutes ago, HLR said:

@Woodsy where did you get that mug from? Like it

Was off ebay chaps, seller was scoobydoorrs

I posted it on here last month when I bought it, and on twitter - I suspect another half a dozen or so have been bought as a result! It's a beaut

@spudski - I'm not overly convinced it's 100% accurate, I'm sure one or two have missed, but I'm buggered if I can think of one!

Sorry @Fiale - didn't pick your post up for some reason!

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Was off ebay chaps, seller was scoobydoorrs

Just looked at the sellers negative feedback. He must be a city fan. 1 was from a bristol rovers fan, broken mug. 1 from a millwall fan, broken mug. The last 1 is from a crystal palace fan, never received item. Haha hilarious! 

He has 6 bristol city mugs left when I just looked. 

5 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Just looked at the sellers negative feedback. He must be a city fan. 1 was from a bristol rovers fan, broken mug. 1 from a millwall fan, broken mug. The last 1 is from a crystal palace fan, never received item. Haha hilarious! 

He has 6 bristol city mugs left when I just looked. 

Ha - I missed that, I'll go have a read!

5 hours ago, harrys said:

My first kit was the all red with the badge, '69-'71, wish I still had it

Same here - I was bought it as a birthday present from an uncle who was a season ticket holder. I have seen someone at a few games with a replica that looks quite like it (not the 1972 one you can get from toffs) I keep meaning to ask where he got it from.

20 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

2000-01 black and green away kit. My 1st shirt. Must have it hidden away i reckon. Loved that shirt... I wore and washed it so much it started to bobble...

My first actually as well. Long sleeve. In the wardrobe somewhere

42 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Well Spudski; that interesting photographic history shows conclusively that City only rarely deviated to an all red kit. 

I think it is a real shame we have once again done so for the upcoming new season.

Indeed...I'm not a fan of all red either.

Tbh...when you look at all the kits we've had, imo, there aren't that many that are something to be proud of. Over fussy many of them.

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 13:26, Septic Peg said:

And what happened in 1908-09? Royal blue! Ahhhh :gasmask: :shocking:

Pretty sure we only wore The all blue kit on one occasion, the 1909 Cup Final due to a colour clash with Man Utd. We have worn blue and white quarters in home FA Cup games in the 1950s though! In those days it was the home team that changed if there was a colour clash.

6 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Pretty sure we only wore The all blue kit on one occasion, the 1909 Cup Final due to a colour clash with Man Utd. We have worn blue and white quarters in home FA Cup games in the 1950s though! In those days it was the home team that changed if there was a colour clash.

Just like Rugby is today. A rough game played by gentlemen..... Whereas football ... Well you know the rest. 

On 22/05/2016 at 11:25, handsofclay said:

It was both teams that changed in FA Cup ties. In the league, away teams changed kit like today.

As both City and opponents, Accrington Stanley (away and home) and Rotherham (home) both had the same away kits as City, white shirts and black shorts, that a toss up decided which club wore their away kit. City lost the toss and used Rovers kit. Also in 1958 City used Cardiff City kit home and away versus Blackpool.

I remember going to the annual pre-season game sometime in the early to mid fifties. The only public matches that were allowed in the 50's were "In Club games" such as First against Reserves. City's usual away colours were normally white shirts and black shorts and that is what the Reserves would wear in these games.

However, I clearly remember that one year, the Reserves wore blue shirts and white shorts. Does anyone else remember this? Was it a year when City used blue and white as an away kit? Or just a set of kit borrowed for a pre-season match?

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It was both teams that changed in FA Cup ties. In the league, away teams changed kit like today.

As both City and opponents, Accrington Stanley (away and home) and Rotherham (home) both had the same away kits as City, white shirts and black shorts, that a toss up decided which club wore their away kit. City lost the toss and used Rovers kit. Also in 1958 City used Cardiff City kit home and away versus Blackpool.

I remember going to the annual pre-season game sometime in the early to mid fifties. The only public matches that were allowed in the 50's were "In Club games" such as First against Reserves. City's usual away colours were normally white shirts and black shorts and that is what the Reserves would wear in these games.

However, I clearly remember that one year, the Reserves wore blue shirts and white shorts. Does anyone else remember this? Was it a year when City used blue and white as an away kit? Or just a set of kit borrowed for a pre-season match?

I stand corrected. I assumed because City, as the home team, changed kit for cup ties that the away team kept their colours, but thinking about it in 1909 both City and Man Utd changed colours due to the clash in that year's final tie. 

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Do Bristol City as a club actually have an appointed club historian?

Things get lost as time goes by, people who remember things first hand die off sadly. Then we are left with papers and reports from back in the day, before the advent of the Internet. Then it often becomes a guessing game or misinterpreted.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Do Bristol City as a club actually have an appointed club historian?

Things get lost as time goes by, people who remember things first hand die off sadly. Then we are left with papers and reports from back in the day, before the advent of the Internet. Then it often becomes a guessing game or misinterpreted.

You would have thought that they would need someone like this for stadium tours or when the museum is in place. Not a bad little job for someone who is semi retired, "Curator of the Bristol City Museum"............... :whistle: now where's my CV............ 

Archived