IGNORED

Bristol Rugby Football tonight

crusader

Stressful but ultimately successful night! Now for some REALLY big signings and upgrade the squad. 

Took a gamble and bought a ST for the rugby next year as well; with the 10% off both STs my seat in Dolman central worked out at about £180 which for Prem rugger is a bargain. Be interesting to see what prices they pitch the STs at when they go back on sale! 

Enormous amount of recruitment needed as the step up is absolutely vast. I'm not at all sold on Robinson as a coach and it would be absolutely ruthless to get rid but we shall see. If there is someone better i would say thanks and goodbye, or shuffle him upstairs. 

I think we'll see a few welsh names coming across the river in the summer. It's an easy recruitment ground geographically for us as they can still live at home (as ridiculous as that sounds)

Priestland seems to be the first rumour. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, LegionOfBrad said:

I think we'll see a few welsh names coming across the river in the summer. It's an easy recruitment ground geographically for us as they can still live at home (as ridiculous as that sounds)

Samoans will be on the way 

1 hour ago, LegionOfBrad said:

Enormous amount of recruitment needed as the step up is absolutely vast. I'm not at all sold on Robinson as a coach and it would be absolutely ruthless to get rid but we shall see. If there is someone better i would say thanks and goodbye, or shuffle him upstairs. 

Priestland seems to be the first rumour. 

As soon a Ford was sacked from Bath I immediately thought he would be heading here.*

*Apologies if he has now been appointed elsewhere, as I said before this is my first season of taking an interest in rugby. I'm still learning.

Bristol very tense last night. Doncaster throwing caution to the wind and it could easily have come off for them if Bris hadn't dug in.

Now for some decent signings and some better class rugby next season. If some thought that was tough last night, we ain't seen nothing yet.

Waiting for both fixture lists to see which club may get the first 27,000 sell out.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Bristol very tense last night. Doncaster throwing caution to the wind and it could easily have come off for them if Bris hadn't dug in.

Now for some decent signings and some better class rugby next season. If some thought that was tough last night, we ain't seen nothing yet.

Waiting for both fixture lists to see which club may get the first 27,000 sell out.

Surely we'll have as big a budget as any team next year if SL wants to spend, what with the cap on team wages.  What player wouldn't want to come, or at least be tempted?

40 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Surely we'll have as big a budget as any team next year if SL wants to spend, what with the cap on team wages.  What player wouldn't want to come, or at least be tempted?

And add the fact that if we do go back down currently is bloody hard and near imposdible to get promoted again. We have learnt that lesson, we won't give up the Premiership easily, so whatever it takes...

• Admin
1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

That is already guaranteed - Bristol will be hot on the heals of Exeter in the coming years

1 hour ago, phantom said:

That is already guaranteed - Bristol will be hot on the heals of Exeter in the coming years

Interesting you say that Phantom. My die hard Bristol Rugby mate says that Bristol are trying to copy the way Exeter have become established in the Premiership and that's through continuity. Essentially that means not changing anything......

The mouthy guy next to me last night won't want to hear that......:facepalm:

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Interesting you say that Phantom. My die hard Bristol Rugby mate says that Bristol are trying to copy the way Exeter have become established in the Premiership and that's through continuity. Essentially that means not changing anything......

The safe way is to change what one considers is needed but not too much at anyone time. Evolution not revolution.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The safe way is to change what one considers is needed but not too much at anyone time. Evolution not revolution.

Points is tho, the current Bristol Rugby squad is generally considered by those who know rugby, not strong or deep enough to hold their own in the Premiership and that the director of rugby will need to strengthen or face a season of struggling to cope.

That said I know very little about rugby, not having played since my school days and therefore I bow to those who have a far greater knowledge of the game.

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can always remember in the late 1990's there used to be a South West midweek youth rugby league, where a number of short timed games were played on the same pitch, but rotated around the teams within the league.

After a fixture at Weston, was sat with the then Weston chairman and friends and the Exeter chairman came in, straight away he was buying everyone drinks and being bullish about his youth side. We got talking and even though at the time Exeter were a number of leagues down the pyramid I can always remember him saying they had a 10 year plan to get Exeter up the leagues and ultimately sustainable in the Premiership.

Many people were politely nodding to what he was explaining, but when he left the general feeling was that he was nuts and that no matter what investment went into the team that would never hapen.

Now 15-20 years on, they are on the verge of winning the Aviva Premiership final ! 

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Points is tho, the current Bristol Rugby squad is generally considered by those who know rugby, not strong or deep enough to hold their own in the Premiership and that the director of rugby will need to strengthen or face a season of struggling to cope.

That said I know very little about rugby, not having played since my school days and therefore I bow to those who have a far greater knowledge of the game.

The squad is massive.. I think there is a good few players who probably aren't good enough for the Prem but there is the nucleaus of a good side with players like Sheedy coming through.  It's sad Morgan is heading off now they've finally made it.  I think a blend of youth and quality signings in a very similar manner to how City went about the second half of this season might be the way.  The wage cap in Rugby means its a far more level playing field as the likes of Exeter have shown. Certainly the ground must be amongst the best in the league..

26 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The squad is massive.. I think there is a good few players who probably aren't good enough for the Prem but there is the nucleaus of a good side with players like Sheedy coming through.  It's sad Morgan is heading off now they've finally made it.  I think a blend of youth and quality signings in a very similar manner to how City went about the second half of this season might be the way.  The wage cap in Rugby means its a far more level playing field as the likes of Exeter have shown. Certainly the ground must be amongst the best in the league..

I have no idea how big the rugby squad is. As I posted earlier I don't know much about the game but have a close buddy who does know and I only ever express what he tells me on here and therefore my posts on Bristol Rugby are essentially his views. 

That said, through him I've watched Bristol a few times this and last season and he's encouraged me to buy a SC and I am tempted even tho it'll be top price now their promoted. Obviouly the prices are not out yet. 

He reckons, along with another bloke I know ( they don't know each other ) that the squad lacks enough quality players to be competitive in the Premiership and therefore strengthening is an essential. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I have no idea how big the rugby squad is. As I posted earlier I don't know much about the game but have a close buddy who does know and I only ever express what he tells me on here and therefore my posts on Bristol Rugby are essentially his views. 

That said, through him I've watched Bristol a few times this and last season and he's encouraged me to buy a SC and I am tempted even tho it'll be top price now their promoted. Obviouly the prices are not out yet. 

He reckons, along with another bloke I know ( they don't know each other ) that the squad lacks enough quality players to be competitive in the Premiership and therefore strengthening is an essential. 

At least Bristol only have to be better than 1 other team to stay up.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Prices are already out - http://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/news/secure-your-season-card-as-top-flight-rugby-returns/16239

There's also a discount applicable for dual season ticket holders (assuming that it is valid beyond the early-bird deal).

33 minutes ago, Super said:

They might want to look at some of the opposition players from last night.

The guy who scored a try for Donny Hurrell looked very useful. I watched the game again this morning and the commentators were gushing about him but he's apparently contracted to Donny next season. From that I assume that clubs don't attempt to poach players from other clubs as they do in football.

Im sure someone on here will know how the rugby transfers work.

35 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Prices are already out - http://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/news/secure-your-season-card-as-top-flight-rugby-returns/16239

There's also a discount applicable for dual season ticket holders (assuming that it is valid beyond the early-bird deal).

That must have only been up a short while. It wasn't there earlier today.

Living down near Exeter and seeing a few of the Chiefs performances, be warned.

Wednesday was like watching a different game to what they play here. Premiership is all about  power, pace and precision. 

Looking at the 2 semi-final games and making a comparison to the football pyramid, Bristol looked - at best - Conference standard and they are about to enter the Premier League. 

9 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wednesday was like watching a different game to what they play here. Premiership is all about  power, pace and precision. 

Looking at the 2 semi-final games and making a comparison to the football pyramid, Bristol looked - at best - Conference standard and they are about to enter the Premier League. 

OUCH! 

44 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

We will be happy to take you by surprise at both Shanty Park and the Gate. Cornish Pirates still sing songs referring to you as the Chuffs for some unknown reason... 

Big thanks for the mostly kind remarks and support from our City brothers and sisters. We are one, proud to share a home with you guys and looking forward to more dual support in the years to come - I'm still trying to like this fancy roundball game itself but your fans are damn awesome and I'll definitely be at yet more City matches this coming season. 

We are Bristol, we are Bristol! 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

They'll be fine. They won't be playing the same squad next season. Plus, it would only be fair to compare their level throughout this season, rather than 2 games under enormous pressure and a spotlight they aren't used to. 

2 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

We will be happy to take you by surprise at both Shanty Park and the Gate. Cornish Pirates still sing songs referring to you as the Chuffs for some unknown reason... 

Big thanks for the mostly kind remarks and support from our City brothers and sisters. We are one, proud to share a home with you guys and looking forward to more dual support in the years to come - I'm still trying to like this fancy roundball game itself but your fans are damn awesome and I'll definitely be at yet more City matches this coming season. 

We are Bristol, we are Bristol! 

Don't worry matey, I'll be cheering Bristol on due to the BS connection. Got to be realistic though. 

Hopefully, the only two Bristol games I watched aren't a reflection of this season's performance levels. If that's the case, what they'll need is a new coach who can get into their heads and address their nerves. Every game will be a pressure one next season.

I believe that everyone at Bristol Rugby realises that the squad and tactics were suitable to get promotion while losing only three league / play off matches. Doncaster did to Bris what City did to Middlesbro' - beat them twice yet both Boro' and Bris are promoted.

Next season will be a new ball game altogether; new players with Premiership experience will be needed together with some good quality Championship players who are thought to be good enough for the Prem.

The big unknown is which ones from the existing squad will be able to adjust successfully and which will not. To draw comparison with City after the promotion from League One, look at Pack as a positive and Freeman as negative. Not what would have been expected by most and the same could happen with the Bristol squad One can only hope that Robinson and Holley have a successful summer unlike Burt and Cotterill in the summer of 2015.

But even as a natural half empty person, I see real signs that both City and Bris are set for good times ahead.. 

Archived