IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

37 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Anything south of about £8-10m makes zero sense. 

- Under contract

- Worth 20 goals a season

- No desire/need to sell

- Not easily replaceable (with proven quality rather than a gamble)

- Near to the start of the season with less flexibility than ever with loans

By the time you deduct what Angers are due and take off what we paid, £5-£6m would be shooting ourselves in the foot!

Lansdown and Co. aren't idiots, none of this is news to them. Would have to be a truly remarkable offer to make us even consider it, and AV won't want to pay a whopping premium to secure him - you would hope they would see fairly quickly that we won't agree on a valuation and move on.  

Got to say, disappointing to hear him sharing articles about potential transfers on social media, not particularly clever or professional. 

I think you could also add in the not insignificant drop in morale for everyone associated with the club if he was sold before a better replacement was signed. 

To sell would be incoherent with the stated aims of Bristol City .

42 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Anything south of about £8-10m makes zero sense. 

- Under contract

- Worth 20 goals a season

- No desire/need to sell

- Not easily replaceable (with proven quality rather than a gamble)

- Near to the start of the season with less flexibility than ever with loans

By the time you deduct what Angers are due and take off what we paid, £5-£6m would be shooting ourselves in the foot!

Lansdown and Co. aren't idiots, none of this is news to them. Would have to be a truly remarkable offer to make us even consider it, and AV won't want to pay a whopping premium to secure him - you would hope they would see fairly quickly that we won't agree on a valuation and move on.  

Got to say, disappointing to hear him sharing articles about potential transfers on social media, not particularly clever or professional. 

Especially as " there has been no bid from Villa " 

Seeing he played last night I cant see him leaving today. Next friendly is on Friday if he misses that because of a niggle or some other ailment then we can reworry then.  Of Course there is still 6 weeks to the end of the transfer window so if he misses any game between now and then the panic will kick in.

9 minutes ago, Big C said:

Seeing he played last night I cant see him leaving today. Next friendly is on Friday if he misses that because of a niggle or some other ailment then we can reworry then.  Of Course there is still 6 weeks to the end of the transfer window so if he misses any game between now and then the panic will kick in.

This is why managers hate the transfer window. Puts everyone on edge for weeks. And the final 48 hours things go nuts. I don't think Kodjia will go this window. Another good season and we have an average season, he'll be off next summer. I expect us to be in an even stronger position then bargaining wise. And a couple more strikers will be ready to replace him. 

One other thing: at this moment in time, I don't believe Villa have that much appeal. To anyone. Their biggest problem's going to be shifting the deadwood. Who are on big wages.

Unprofessional and naive to share the article, not the first time he's shared something questionable on his Facebook - I wonder if he knows how public his account is.

The context is important though, he's late into football and comes from a poor part of Paris. It's quite an achievement for someone of his background to be linked with the likes of Villa, Sunderland and Villarreal, teams his mates at home have probably heard of.

In the space of two years he's been a top scorer, moved to England, excelled here, became an international and has been linked with big teams. Anyone in his shoes would be proud of that. Still unprofessional to share it so publicly though.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Unprofessional and naive to share the article, not the first time he's shared something questionable on his Facebook - I wonder if he knows how public his account is.

The context is important though, he's late into football and comes from a poor part of Paris. It's quite an achievement for someone of his background to be linked with the likes of Villa, Sunderland and Villarreal, teams his mates at home have probably heard of.

In the space of two years he's been a top scorer, moved to England, excelled here, became an international and has been linked with big teams. Anyone in his shoes would be proud of that. Still unprofessional to share it so publicly though.

Good case for the defence. He rarely uses Twitter, which is a relief.

What else did he share on FB that was questionable? 

Maybe (Hopefully).. With our increased wages on other players it's just his agent looking for a better deal. It was a French paper that broke the story which doesn't make much sense when there is no French connection in anyway (football related), so possibly his agent using his connections?

23 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Good question - anyone got any examples (translated into English, please!) Edit: Thanks, Shtanley, answered before I asked!

And while we're asking for some evidence, when were all these occasions LJ has openly lied in his statements to the media?

Call me naive but I like to trust him....right here, right now, at least.

20 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

It's an article saying how well he's been doing recently and that due to that big clubs are interested.

29 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Not football related necessarily, just occasional posting and sharing of the odd slightly risqué video on his Facebook feed. Nothing too bad, just the sort of stuff you'd probably rather your players didn't share on a very public Facebook profile.

55 minutes ago, Big C said:

I'm told he had ice on his ankle after the game, so maybe he has picked up a little knock - enough reason to pull him from the next game and watch the internet melt from afar.....

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm told he had ice on his ankle after the game, so maybe he has picked up a little knock - enough reason to pull him from the next game and watch the internet melt from afar.....

Plus LJ said he picked a formation last night to enable all four of his strikers to get some minutes during this tour so would expect to see Agard & Garita start against Murcia (not UAE) on Friday.

40 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Maybe (Hopefully).. With our increased wages on other players it's just his agent looking for a better deal. It was a French paper that broke the story which doesn't make much sense when there is no French connection in anyway (football related), so possibly his agent using his connections?

I gave the article a look and I dont know French but obviously some words and teams look familiar. It looked a similar article to the one in the BP earlier yesterday. Think they may have just been translating to French as he is French and people there want to read about players from there. 

8 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Plus LJ said he picked a formation last night to enable all four of his strikers to get some minutes during this tour so would expect to see Agard & Garita start against Murcia (not UAE) on Friday.

Interesting that Garita is getting so many minutes. I appreciate we don't have many strikers right now, but the implication from people who've watched him is that he's not good enough. He's got the size and strength so maybe he's getting up to standard now.

I wonder if his inclusion is partly for keeping Kodjia company..

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I gave the article a look and I dont know French but obviously some words and teams look familiar. It looked a similar article to the one in the BP earlier yesterday. Think they may have just been translating to French as he is French and people there want to read about players from there. 

I believe they broke it? Might be wrong

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not football related necessarily, just occasional posting and sharing of the odd slightly risqué video on his Facebook feed. Nothing too bad, just the sort of stuff you'd probably rather your players didn't share on a very public Facebook profile.

Sounds intriguing. Hope he was fully clothed....

If anyone offers £8 million plus he will be gone. There will be bids for him form the Villa, Newcastles, Norwichs and Derbys etc and if he fancies a move to one of them it would be pointless to keep an unhappy player and best to cash in. A shame but might have to be done.

12 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

If anyone offers £8 million plus he will be gone. There will be bids for him form the Villa, Newcastles, Norwichs and Derbys etc and if he fancies a move to one of them it would be pointless to keep an unhappy player and best to cash in. A shame but might have to be done.

Don't forget Barnsley !

32 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Why should a club always be held ransom to a players feelings?  The club are under no financial pressure to sell whatsoever and the player has signed a contract to play for us for a certain number of years.  What if we get an offer for £5 million and he becomes unhappy and wants to leave?  You're not going to sell him for that.  I would sell him only if it is believed to be a good deal for the club, and I would say we need the player more than the £8m.

According to lj in la manga we have 4 strikers and they all need game time.   4 strikers???  Wilbraham - bit part

Agard - perceived by most to be not good enough

Garita - from what I have seen and others have said, at best he could be described as a work in progress.

So in my estimation we need to sign 1 if not 2 strikers, before we could possibly consider selling kodgia

Even for 10 million or whatever any club is prepared to offer. To sell him before  we sign any replacement

Would surely be madness.

Albeit in only 2 games so far the list of goalscorers is looking remarkably familiar  kodgia, flint plus a fail to score.

Clubs have alledgedly refused to sell players to us until they have bought a replacement (sunderland - mathews)

So at least we should do the same.

Hopefully there's nothing in this.  However, if there is, I think we should be firm with the player and any interested clubs.  We should set a fee we'll accept (say £10 million), set a date (say 31st July) we aren't going to sell after and then let clubs bid or not.  But be very clear that a deal less than price or after that date simply isn't an option. 

50 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

If there is a big offer, and he wants to go, City should tell him he can leave in January or at the end of the season. The advantage to him would be he would have more Championship experience. Hopefully his value would be higher enabling him to negotiate a better signing on fee and salary. The advantage to City would be more time to find a replacement  

I don't buy in to this "Don't want a player here who doesn't want to be here" in situations like this. If it's a player we're trying to sign them absolutely.. But if I was Kodjia, I wanted to leave & I wasn't allowed, I know I'd be trying my absolute hardest to impress interested clubs & get their offers to the required level rather than get in a strop, throw my toys out & potentially ruin THE chance to get into the Premiership. 

12 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I don't buy in to this "Don't want a player here who doesn't want to be here" in situations like this. If it's a player we're trying to sign them absolutely.. But if I was Kodjia, I wanted to leave & I wasn't allowed, I know I'd be trying my absolute hardest to impress interested clubs & get their offers to the required level.

Quite right , the player honours his contract gives his best , gets a good deal with a new club or

Player sulks , performs beneath his capacity and loses value , match fitness and gets a reputation as a troublemaker. 

We know which is the smart move.

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Quite right , the player honours his contract gives his best , gets a good deal with a new club or

Player sulks , performs beneath his capacity and loses value , match fitness and gets a reputation as a troublemaker. 

We know which is the smart move.

Good points. See West Brom's Berahino as a good example. Tried to engineer a move to Spurs, WB owner Jeremy Pearce said he ain't going anywhere. So, spent most last season in a sulk, unfit and barely played.

However, Stoke still offering £20m for him. Way way over-priced. But, aren't they all? But, hasn't damaged his value that much. Would be very different if Kodjia has a poor season. Wouldn't be worth more than £3m-£4m. 

Also, troublemaker doesn't necessarily stop clubs coming in for you. If you've got talent, someone will take you on. 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I think you could also add in the not insignificant drop in morale for everyone associated with the club if he was sold before a better replacement was signed. 

To sell would be incoherent with the stated aims of Bristol City .

Agreed. But the stated aims of Bristol City and the reality of what actually happens at Bristol City have been a gulf apart on a fairly regular basis. 

I wasn't worried until you put it like that. 

Archived