IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I know, it will cost us twice that at least to replace him even if we could find anyone but if his head`s been turned who knows what will happen. Personally if I was SL I`d be saying 10 million and maybe we`ll talk but who knows? IMO that price would put even Villa off given there`s no guarantee he`s going to repeat last year`s success.

If we couldn't land targets in the  7-9m bracket last year as they wouldn't join us we'd be bloody stupid to get rid of him for even that level of money.

We could get 20 million for him, and try to spend it, and still not get a striker to sign for us.

i personally think it's balls, if not they better have a sodding good backup plan.

4 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

He is now claiming a "thorough investigation"

After thorough investigation, it seems reports of @AVFCOfficial bid for @bcfctweets's Jonathan Kodjia are premature!

Whatever next?

after a thorough investigation it seems Emgland lost 2-1 to Iceland. 

7 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Jonathan Kodjia is a Bristol City player, with 2 years on his contract left. We can command ANY fee we want for him. We don't want to sell, he doesn't go. Plain and simple.. And if we did sell him it would make a mockery of what the club is trying to achieve.

Apologies, misread your post.

My guess is that anything in the region of £8m and we will sell.

I'd also speculate that we have looked at Lewis Grabban for exactly this eventuality.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You have absolutely no way of knowing whether Kodjia wants to go or not, do you?

This is the problem. 

If we were not City fans, realistically who would we all rather play for?

A yoyo league one championship club, or a genuine big club who've lost their way a bit recently, sadly I know who I'd rather. 

If there was anything concrete in this, as in Villa had actually put a bid in, I would expect at least Sky to have some news on it, just on the basis that it would be a big money transfer for the Championship & especially considering it's involving Villa but there hasn't been anything.

I did read something earlier about their new owner trying to play down fears about him not actually having the funds available that he was spouting about when he was making the takeover bid, could it just be him trying to quieten down those fears?

I think we would sell if the money was right and you can't really blame the club for that. They've been pretty open about the policy to buy young players with a sell on value. However, having said that I don't think there's much in the villa rumour..... yet. And I hope it stays that way. Last I thought Di Mateo had said, was he needed to trim the squad before bringing others in.

There seem to be a few on here who are sounding very similar to a few of the Barnsley fans of the last few days.

Similar to why a Barnsley player may want to join us (wages & prospects), I would say a City player may also want to go to Villa (wages & prospects).

The harsh truth of the matter is that the majority of people want to better themselves (job wise & money wise) & Unfortunatley I see Villa as a step up from us, as I do Newcastle, Norwich & Derby in this division & I might even add Sheffield Wednesday to that list, there would then be a list of 10 or so clubs that I would say are of similar size to us & then the likes of Burton, Barnsley & Rotherham who I'd say are clubs that are smaller than us.

On that basis I couldn't really blame any of our players if they were offered the opportunity to go to Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby & maybe Sheffield Wednesday for the right fee.

Anyone else in our division, I would have to question why any player that we want to keep would want to join them.

no chance we will sell our 20+ goal striker 2 weeks before season starts for anything less than 10 mill and no-one would pay that anyway. he's under contract and we dont have to sell anyone. We are a team on the up on and especially off the pitch and Jimmy also turned down other clubs to come here.  He and his young family have probably just settled diwn in Bristol and he is jyst coming to terms with the language so any move for him now would be another big challenge/upheaval. He's not going anywhere. 

13 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There seem to be a few on here who are sounding very similar to a few of the Barnsley fans of the last few days.

Similar to why a Barnsley player may want to join us (wages & prospects), I would say a City player may also want to go to Villa (wages & prospects).

The harsh truth of the matter is that the majority of people want to better themselves (job wise & money wise) & Unfortunatley I see Villa as a step up from us, as I do Newcastle, Norwich & Derby in this division & I might even add Sheffield Wednesday to that list, there would then be a list of 10 or so clubs that I would say are of similar size to us & then the likes of Burton, Barnsley & Rotherham who I'd say are clubs that are smaller than us.

On that basis I couldn't really blame any of our players if they were offered the opportunity to go to Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby & maybe Sheffield Wednesday for the right fee.

Anyone else in our division, I would have to question why any player that we want to keep would want to join them.

Add Brighton to that list and I agree totally. It doesn`t make it right but it is the reality of football.

• Admin

In reply to the Barnsley question, I don't think we will sign Mawson as I don't think we will bid the £3m it should take to sign him and I hope Kodjia doesn't join Villa as they wont bid the £12m it should cost them. To me that is a consistent approach. 

Kodjia is tied to this club for another 3 years, if a club meets the current valuation of 20 goal strikers at this level we can let him talk to them but if he wants to exit a contract he was perfectly happy to sign, we certainly shouldn't do him any favours and sell him on the cheap!

PS Andy, I think you're stealing a living! Thorough investigation = a phone call or two to Midlands journos who I bet gave non-committal answers and then minutes after Bristol City themselves announce there has been no bid, you reveal this ground breaking news. Fraud.

I should think JK would look at how abject Villa are at creating, and how prolific he was with LT, and seeing our other recruits, to think balls to Villa I'll gamble on another decent season here and get a proper move. 

Villa are a massive, massive club. So were Leeds. I don't think they'd tempt him in their current state. Had it been Newcastle, yeah I'd be worried. 

52 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

This is the problem. 

If we were not City fans, realistically who would we all rather play for?

A yoyo league one championship club, or a genuine big club who've lost their way a bit recently, sadly I know who I'd rather. 

Spot on. If you look at it objectively, he came into the English Championship from arguably a lower level. He was an instant success and a club is apparently interested in him that has previously won the European Cup and has the fifth highest total of major honours in this country having won the top division seven times and the FA Cup seven times etc.

They've been at the top level of English football for 104 seasons, second only to Everton,.

So, if Villa allegedly want to sign him at his age he'd be mad not to be interested, and we need a reality check if we think players will choose us over Villa. They are huge, we aren't.

How would people feel if we got £10m + Baker for Kodjia, and we're able to sign someone like Grabban with the money?

I don't think he will go anywhere personally anyway, at least not in this transfer window. If he starts well though, January may be a different story.

I reckon he'll go. Johnson has already dismissed stuff to the media only for it to be true this summer. Regardless of what we think about Villa to a foreign player they've just been relegated and are a bigger paycheck and have a better chance of being promoted than we do. The problem is we need to get a replacement in quickly and there it's going to be costly. Baker + cash for Kodjia? Don't see that happening in a million years. We needed a starting CB which is why we would've went in for Baker , we aren't going to drop a 2.5m defender to the bench nor will we drop Flint nor will we pay Bakers wages for a bench player. I hope we can get a good replacement in but from what has been an exciting summer this is a huge damper. 

I think the sharing of the article is something like showing everyone how sought after he is, guess it's a form of compliment/acknowledgment of your talents. Not too much to be worried about. Although it proves he is clearly aware of it all, hopefully we can stop his head from being turned in however manner. 

6 hours ago, Iron Man said:

IF (and that is a very big IF) he does go the club should have a striker lined up and bought even before we sell Kodjia.

The club would of known of an incoming bid before the Spain trip yet he still went. That's pretty telling. I think he'll stay.

Baldock went to Botswana and then left

From his prospective I think he should hold tight until January window, if we're mid table and Villa are going for the top two,  I understand the move, if he does well then there could also wider premier interest, i agree villa are obviously bigger than us but I'd wanna see just how they get on first as they were a shambles last year so not nailed on unlike Newcastle really.

Archived