IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

Would not see the attraction myself - I think we will finish above them and I know money turns heads but :-

1. We brought him over and gave him a chance

2. We have treated him great and even have our manager trying to learn his language

3. He has become an international from his form with us

4. We will give him many more chances and have permanently signed the players to supply him

I can't believe he is silly enough to be anything but relishing his chance to be a city great at least for another season. Totally not worried particularly as I truly believe as well as he is content here, we would not entertain a bid that is not at least 3 times what we paid and Villa will more likely look at promising prem players when it comes to it - if it comes to it as they need to unload first - we need to be positive - any right backs or keepers there we want? :cool:

You'd expect someone to make a bid this window. But worry not (Ok, I am also a little concerned), we hold all the aces. He's only been here a year. It'll take a huge bid (nothing less than £10m I'd fancy) and if, big if, we sold him, you'd think we'd have another striker signed. Not linked to, or lined up, but signed. Johnson, Ashton et. al ain't stupid. No one goes for small money and we'd have to have a replacement. That article says nothing we don't already know. Agree with above, fancy us to finish above Villa.

Right, think I've convinced myself...

Who out there on the market has the following criteria?....

20+ goal a season striker

quick

skillful

strong

a good age

At the minimum, this is what a new striker would need to replace kodjia.

Just those minimal requirements would demand a high fee and who out there offers that and is realistic?

answers on a postcard please. I honestly can think of no one.

This surely to us makes kodjia priceless and given we don't need to sell and he is on a reasonable contract, it's either put up or shut up and I don't see anyone spending 15mill on a striker in the championship barring the fools that are sharing around McCormack.

21 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

quick

skillful

strong

a good age

Just those minimal requirements would demand a high fee and who out there offers that and is realistic?

This surely to us makes kodjia priceless and given we don't need to sell and he is on a reasonable contract, it's either put up or shut up and I don't see anyone spending 15mill on a striker in the championship barring the fools that are sharing around McCormack.

If we were to consider selling Kodjia, then we also need to add a premium, considering the short time frame until the start of the season 

No one knows how JK is thinking or what motivates him, at 26 / 27 years old he may think that times against him to earn top money & to play at the top level & if that's what motivates him then he could want to get to that goal ASAP & while we don't have to sell for financial gain, standing in the way of allowing someone to better themselves is an altogether different matter.

As has been mentioned before, SL want the club to be self sufficient & that means selling players at a profit.

And let's be honest, there haven't been a lot of those players / deals in the recent past.

There will be so many things to weigh up if a deal is to ever happen & that'll be the case with every player that plays for Bristol City Football Club.

We are by no means a big fish in this large pond but we are bigger than we were at this point last year & we are heading in the right direction but we will need to keep a balance because if anyone thinks we are going to carry on spending £7m+ a year / season / transfer window then they need to realise that this isn't going to happen unless we bring that amount or more in through players sales.

Wages also need to be realised as well, as spending all this money on transfer fees & player purchases means that our wage budget also gets bigger because players coming in for record fees will want record wages too, along with the players that are already here who will feel they are deserving of a similar wage!

There are a lot of things that need to be weighed up.......

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

Don't think he'll leave. Genuinely no reason to, has a young and energetic side around him and one of the most technically gifted players in the league playing 10.

Of course he"ll have a reason to leave if Villa offered him an extra 5 Grand a week, he's 27 and may only have 5 or 6 years left at earning top dollar

1 hour ago, ciderbeans said:

quick

skillful

strong

a good age

Nahki Wells is the closest I could come up with, that might be in our 'range'.

Wonder if James Wilson us on our radar?

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Don't think he'll leave. Genuinely no reason to, has a young and energetic side around him and one of the most technically gifted players in the league playing 10.

If someone offered him a £10k a week pay rise he would seriously have his head turned and that would be a reason...

(apologies, just noticed Harry's reply above this one - pretty much saying the same thing. Sorry H!!!)

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nahki Wells is the closest I could come up with, that might be in our 'range'.

Wonder if James Wilson us on our radar?

James Wilson is a good shout tbh. He's now behind Rooney, Martial, Zlatan and Rashford. Think he's been left behind with the U21s for preseason as well. He'd have plenty of suitors you'd think. If we did sell Kodjia for say £10m and picked up Wilson for £3-4m? Then on paper it would look like good business. We wouldn't know about on the pitch unless it happened but he's got goals in him and looked a threat for Brighton. 

7 hours ago, Scrumpy said:

If he does go he won't be missed. Trust in the management either way.

This time round, things are looking promising.

20+ goal a season striker in this divi/ with the genuine likeleyhood of improvement???....wont be missed??

Yours,    J Kodjia

After all the hard work to bring in the players (Tomlin, O'Neil, O'Dowda) to compliment Kodjia and supply him with the ball at pace, we'd be off our rockers to let him go. If HE wants to go, well that's a different issue.

We also have to remember that having a wad of cash to spend means nothing, as after last seasons fun and games proved getting top strikers to sign for us was a tad tricky!

My gut feeling is Kodjia is going no where.

If we needed to balance the books this season then the sensible thing would be to sell him in January, clubs are more desperate then and will pay more, plus there's the advantage that we can use him for the first half of the season and line up a replacement. Given that our policy is to buy players with potential and sell at a profit it will only work if we're willing to sell when one of our players is on a good run of form however hard that may seem at the time.

No one gets sold in January. Very few clubs will let their prize asset go half way through the season. If he has another good season, it'll be hard to keep hold of Kodjia next summer. All depends on how we do. Finish mid-table and he scores 20+ goals, can't see him staying. But he'd be worth £15m by then. And we'd have plenty of money to line up a replacement. Bought in advance, knowing we'd be getting a fortune from Kodjia. 

To be honest, he has another fine season, unless we get promoted (!), can't see him staying. 

How it works. The promoted Champ teams get to pick off the cream of the division they've left behind. Or the relegated Prem teams use their financial clout to do the same. Have seen some of Brighton's top players attracting attention from the Prem and they finished 3rd. It's ruthless out there. Top players don't seem to hang around for more than a couple of years at smaller clubs. 

Leicester now finding this out. And they won the title for heaven's sake! It's frustrating, of course it is. But we'd be doing exactly the same to others if we ever got promoted. Look at Oxford. Lost two of their stars despite getting promoted. 

Unless you're always moving forward, you're at risk of losing top players. The important thing is not to let them go cheaply, and always have a replacement in place before. 

If he has another good season and also does well in the ACON, should we not get promoted, his value could increase to 20mill if it were a prem club that came in for him. One more positive season would certainly do him and us no disfavour.

ideal if he went up with us but we shall have to wait and see

Archived