IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

25 minutes ago, RedSA said:

To make it clear, they haven't bid 5m, apparently it was 3m(!!!) the article stated that we were holding out for £5m - that's the bit I find most shocking! :shocking:

Apparently Mark Ashton's had to be put on a taxi home due to the debilitating affects of uncontrollable laughter. :whistle2:

3 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Can Baker play up-front??

No but they probably know we're still in the market for a centre back & that we'd be interested in Baker if he was to become available.

So if they could sweeten the deal with a player who we know?

There are always more options to a deal, especially when Villa have a very large squad full of players that they would be happy to move on but may struggle to get cash for.

They will be looking at ways to manoeuvre their squad about as I doubt RDM is in a position to spend millions without moving some players out as their budgets will be massively reduced from their Premier League budget of last season.

I reckon he'd be off if it reaches 6.5m and add ons. The difference between him, McCormack and Gayle is that they've been in these leagues ages and Kodjia has done it once. Teams will be wary it wasn't a one off. 6.5m means we've profited roughly 2.75m pounds after a 40% rumoured sell on. That pays for Magnusson and Brownhill for example. I imagine if we were selling we'd have another foreign gem lined up as well. 

I want him here 1 more year at least though and would hate to see him leave. 

As SL has said, we mustn't get too attached to players. The objective is to get the club running without handouts from him, which aren't going to go on forever. The only way we can do that (other than get to the Prem) is to buy promising players and sell them at a profit when a good deal comes along. We must have a replacement lined up though.

Let's do some maths on the following basis : Cost £2.5m ,  Angers have a reported 30% sell on fee , apparently on 10k a week.

If we sell for £5m then we take £1.5 away to go to Angers , 520k for his salary and then the £2.5m fee and we've had made a mesley 500k and this doesn't include any additional bonuses for appearances or goals. If Lansdown wants us to be 'self-sufficient' we're going to need around 9-10m so £2.85m will go to Angers and we have £3m of profit to get a replacement.

9 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

No but they probably know we're still in the market for a centre back & that we'd be interested in Baker if he was to become available.

So if they could sweeten the deal with a player who we know?

There are always more options to a deal, especially when Villa have a very large squad full of players that they would be happy to move on but may struggle to get cash for.

They will be looking at ways to manoeuvre their squad about as I doubt RDM is in a position to spend millions without moving some players out as their budgets will be massively reduced from their Premier League budget of last season.

I know what your saying but as things stand, we don't need another left footed centre back.....even if it is Baker. I could understand that sort of deal being of interest prior to buying Magnusson, but now that sort of deal only suits Villa

7 minutes ago, WRERE said:

Let's do some maths on the following basis : Cost £2.5m ,  Angers have a reported 30% sell on fee , apparently on 10k a week.

If we sell for £5m then we take £1.5 away to go to Angers , 520k for his salary and then the £2.5m fee and we've had made a mesley 500k and this doesn't include any additional bonuses for appearances or goals. If Lansdown wants us to be 'self-sufficient' we're going to need around 9-10m so £2.85m will go to Angers and we have £3m of profit to get a replacement.

Sell on fees are on profit so , 30% of 3 million , 900k , not saying it helps though 

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but how much of that £5 mill would we have to give to Angers?

Seen 30% & 40% mentioned, I don't know for sure, I doubt if anyone on here does.....

This is just an opening bid and I would expect that we would ask for over £8m - possible even £10m.  I hope that our transfer strategy has ensured that we have a couple of really good targets up our sleeve in case the player indicates his desire to go and maybe double his income!

Villa are taking the piss. 

Took some 'hits' on here at the end of last season for suggesting £10 million plus. Remain of that opinion.

We ought to offer a couple of quid for their entire squad. Think that might be overly generous though.

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Villa are taking the piss. 

Took some 'hits' on here at the end of last season for suggesting £10 million plus. Remain of that opinion.

We ought to offer a couple of quid for their entire squad. Think that might be overly generous though.

Baker aside, wouldn't touch any of their players with a barge-pole. That squad were a disgrace to their club last season. 

We want premiership ( SL words)  football but are willing to sell our best goalscorer if the price is right? And replace him with who? Just because we found Kodjia doesn't mean we will find another hidden gem.

If he wants to leave then get as much money as we can, if not, we'd be stupid to sell (unless we have someone lined up to replace him, alot cheaper too)

7 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

This is just an opening bid and I would expect that we would ask for over £8m - possible even £10m.  I hope that our transfer strategy has ensured that we have a couple of really good targets up our sleeve in case the player indicates his desire to go and maybe double his income!

If we sell, we can't have targets lined up. They must be signed, holding the shirt up high, and declaring their love for our great city. You ain't got nobody till you got them. 

4 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

I know what your saying but as things stand, we don't need another left footed centre back.....even if it is Baker. I could understand that sort of deal being of interest prior to buying Magnusson, but now that sort of deal only suits Villa

It doesn't have to be Baker though, how many right backs have they got on their books?

Or other strikers that they deem surplus to requirements or other players?

They have a massive squad & will have options that they can sweeten any deal with.

I personally think it will depend on what motivates JK? Is it money & if so, do we value him high enough to offer him an increase in wages?

Is it a desire to play Premier League football? Because if it is, I'd say Villa are in a better place to offer that unless we can convince JK of different or that if he holds out a bit longer he could get a direct move to the Premier League from us?

If JK is happy where he is & we can satisfy his needs then we can tell Villa to do one but it all comes down to what JK wants, I believe.

No way that this will happen unless the fee is colossal. The additions we've made will all in some way have been carefully picked in order to help Kodjia, as well as other areas around the pitch. Therefore, as many, many others have said, it would take a stupid offer or real agent meddling to get Kodjia to go. Also, considering how Villa as a club are right now, can you really see Kodjia picking them over us? Money does talk, but I truly believe he likes it here.

10 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

We want premiership ( SL words)  football but are willing to sell our best goalscorer if the price is right? And replace him with who? Just because we found Kodjia doesn't mean we will find another hidden gem.

If he wants to leave then get as much money as we can, if not, we'd be stupid to sell (unless we have someone lined up to replace him, alot cheaper too)

Thank god someone else said this! There's no reason banging on about being self-sufficient if we sell our best players. If we want to be in the Prem we need to hold on to them as this will allow us to be self-sufficient via ridiculous TV and parachute payments. Selling him will just leave us looking at Lansdown with puppy dog eyes hoping he piles more money in. 

Ps. I do want this club to run self sufficiently without the bankroll of SL 

It almost always comes down to the player.  If he remains and is unhappy it is a mess.

No one, I think, has mentioned Kodjia has had only one season at this level.  The secret of success is to replicate the first year's success in the second, when all defences have been alerted and drilled to cope with his threat

55 minutes ago, Alex#40 said:

If Dwight Gayle is worth £10.5m from a club who wanted to sell and Ross McCormack is worth £15m then Kodjia has to be worth at least £10m. Personally I'd like to see us just refuse to even talk to them. He is on a long contract and shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere.

Wow I echo that sentiment but am old and cynical to think 'Is football like that anymore?'

Archived