IGNORED

England what an embarrassment

hertsexile

3 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Did the team pick itself?.

No, but considering who was available, and aside from the one or two differences of opinion everyone has (Sterling, Vardy, Rashford etc.) it was pretty much what most people would have picked. Tactics? Well people to like a rant and rave about things when it goes wrong, but other than setting up in slightly varying formations, most players play how they do in every game anyway.

What really struck me tonight was just how badly those players did play, misplaced passes and terrible first touches all over the place.I think accusing players of not caring enough is daft, of course they care, of course they want to win, who in their right mind wants to lose and suffer all the shit that they know will be coming their way?

I hate to make sweeping generalisations about a nations mindset, but we do seem to love to be outraged, and enjoy turning the knife. I don't know the blokes name hosting the show on HTV tonight, but he seemed to be loving every minute of it , stirring the pot. I thought Ian Wright was excellent by the way, and he might not be a million miles away when he talks about players being too pumped up for games.

As it is, I think the cycle will just continue, Southgate will come in, win a load of meaningless games and easy qualifiers then fail at the next tournament unless we (players/coaches/pundits and fans) have a rethink about what we want and expect from England.

Anyway, real football starts in August- that's what really matters :)

45 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You've hit the nail on the head for me. I fell out of love with England a long time ago so I'm not as susceptible to heartbreak as much as many on here. 

I'd much rather City came 7th in the Championship than England win the Euros. 

I think Hodgson has proved himself (as he did at City) to be one of the worst managers in world football. But the trouble is, even if we did have a decent manager it wouldn't make a huge difference because we don't have a single world-class player. Dier might be one day, but otherwise there's no one.

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

No, but considering who was available, and aside from the one or two differences of opinion everyone has (Sterling, Vardy, Rashford etc.) it was pretty much what most people would have picked. Tactics? Well people to like a rant and rave about things when it goes wrong, but other than setting up in slightly varying formations, most players play how they do in every game anyway.

What really struck me tonight was just how badly those players did play, misplaced passes and terrible first touches all over the place.I think accusing players of not caring enough is daft, of course they care, of course they want to win, who in their right mind wants to lose and suffer all the shit that they know will be coming their way?

I hate to make sweeping generalisations about a nations mindset, but we do seem to love to be outraged, and enjoy turning the knife. I don't know the blokes name hosting the show on HTV tonight, but he seemed to be loving every minute of it , stirring the pot. I thought Ian Wright was excellent by the way, and he might not be a million miles away when he talks about players being too pumped up for games.

As it is, I think the cycle will just continue, Southgate will come in, win a load of meaningless games and easy qualifiers then fail at the next tournament unless we (players/coaches/pundits and fans) have a rethink about what we want and expect from England.

After his so called 'brave' substitutions v Wales, that most people called 'sensible' substitutions and then public pronouncement that Sterling was struggling with confidence (no shit Sherlock) after putting that extra burden on to his back he selects him again FFS, I have always believed Sterling is over hyped anyway. Also everybody could see that Kane is out of sorts after a great season and again bringing him back into the team was wrong IMO and allowing Kane to take free kicks confounded that and even at half time to continue to allow him to take free kicks beggared belief his delivery was poor all game, his removal of Dier  to replace him with a guy who has played only 140 minutes of football in 12 months was stupid, the brave decision would have been Rashford for Sterling and Lallana for Dier.

I think the players just froze, commentator was saying Hosgson was telling Rooney the players need to pass the ball quicker but a they did was just stand and watch and wait for the ball.

I am in no way sticking up for Hodgson but surely any player knows move to the ball and find space instead each one in particular attacking players just stood and watched and waited for the ball. What is a manager supposed to do when players can't even do the basics, until they learn to move and pass we will go nowhere no matter whoever is in charge.

I put a massive portion of blame on Hodgson. No plan B whatsoever, it was calling out for change at half time and all we got was Wiltshire.

i was sat behind the England bench and in the 2nd half you could tell Roy had thrown the towel in and was preparing his resignation speech. Disappointed in Gary Neville too. 

22 minutes ago, Honiton Tony said:

The problem is we have no leaders on the pitch they take the kids at a young age wrap them in cotton wool and coach it out of them 

Yes I was wondering how many of those players had been out on loan to lower leagues?

to borrow from a friend's FB page:

"Anyone even slightly shocked by that result today are obviously blinded by qualifying wins against Djibouti and Farmfoods. The standard routine now goes like this

Root and branch investigation promised into why player A is a incapable of finding player B. This investigation lasts precisely until the first qualifying game for the World Cup (couple of months)

Manager hounded out for being tactically naive, too slow bringing X on, too quick to take Y off, picking Z.

Press and journalists demand a different approach , something with maybe a whiff of Foreign culture, a manager who understands British culture but with different ideas (remember Capello then Sven)

New manager beats Sheppey islands 5-0 with England looking good in the first 25 minutes

England stroll into Russia 2018 finals 8 points ahead of Isle Of Man in the group, things looking good, new Johnny Foreign manager flavour of month for his calm measured approach.

England bumble out of Russia 2018 without even a hint of a solid single performance , Johnny Foreigner is lambasted and hounded out for his lack of passion (bring back Keegan, McLaren, Venables, those guys all oozed it).

Press lay blame of moribund performances at feet of Premier league being too competitive and poor lambies are tired when it comes to tournament time, hence why nobody can play this game called foutbawl.

Repeat....
And repeat
And repeat

If it wasn't crushing people's
Summers every two years and they weren't earning so Much money for being, well, ****, it would actually be funny. But it isn't."

The Isle of Man are not allowed to play international matches. This is despite them being in the vanguard of early football internationals. It goes back to the 1890s when an idea was introduced in which the home team in an international match agreed to have their nation's flag sewn into the pitch on which the fixture was played. This put the Isle of Man at a disadvantage because it meant they had to play all their home games over three legs.

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes I was wondering how many of those players had been out on loan to lower leagues?

Hart started at Shrewsbury

Walker spent time at Sheff Utd and QPR (I think)

Smalling started in non-league and came up the hard way

No idea about Cahill

Rose came here

Ali started at MK

Dier no idea what he did at sporting lisbon before spurs

Rooney has never needed to be in the lower leagues as has been first choice since 16.

Kane has had multiple loans

Sterling went straight into Liverpool first team. 

Sturridge hasn't been loaned out as far as I am aware

3 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Hart started at Shrewsbury

Walker spent time at Sheff Utd and QPR (I think)

Smalling started in non-league and came up the hard way

No idea about Cahill

Rose came here

Ali started at MK

Dier no idea what he did at sporting lisbon before spurs

Rooney has never needed to be in the lower leagues as has been first choice since 16.

Kane has had multiple loans

Sterling went straight into Liverpool first team. 

Sturridge hasn't been loaned out as far as I am aware

Thanks for the info. It's not like they haven't had experience of situations like that then. 

Having had nearly 24 hours to ponder what happened in Nice, here's my thoughts;

1. The fans belted out the National Anthem with pride & gusto.

2. Some players appeared not to know the words whilst others mumbled and looked down at their boots.

3. When dribbling forward, England's players would try to walk the ball through a knot of three opponents and lost possession.

4. Players off the ball did not run into space, so passing the ball all too often gifted the ball to Iceland.

5. When nearing the goal, England's players for some reason, took two or three more touches of the ball than necessary, so many shots were intercepted.

6. A commentator stated "Iceland are using long throws. This is the type of football played in the eighties, so the England players haven't come across this style of play". OK fair enough, but didn't our Manager and/or his coaches watch any of Iceland's previous games and instruct the players on how to cope with an unusual style of play?

Yesterday evening I had the pleasure of watching a game played in over 30 degree heat where all the players worked their socks off non stop, gave everything for the cause and showed no little skill to create numerous chances with some great finishing to put many of them away.  

I was very proud of my little Under 10's and as their coach I thanked them for so quickly restoring my love for the game.  

Neil

I have watched England in tournaments for over 30 years and this is by far the worst performance i have seen.

Hodgson didn't have a clue on his best team and best formation going into a major tournament and his tactics, substitutions and pretty much everything he had to do was way off the mark.

The players have to take some blame too, we needed leaders on the pitch last night when things got tough, the sort of Pearce, Butcher, Robson, Terry, Gerrard type who would of pulled the team together and showed some fight and passion and dug us out of a embarrassment like this !

Where was Rooneys leadership qualities last night and the other players? It was men vs boys and our boys looked scared and confused.If we matched Icelands hunger, desire and work ethic we would of won the game, but again we was way off the mark.

I have got used to England losing and under performing in major tournaments and i didn't expect much in this Euro's but the performance last night was totally unacceptable!

Yes it was pretty bad last night. Roy had no clue never has Sturidge playing wide what?

Only a striker and certainly not a team player a reason he's been bombed out of Man C and Chelsea.

Rashford the real young hope 18 great first touch two footed and no fear brought on for the last 3 mins, (did roy think he had already used all his subs?)

Rooney in midfield? Was looking forward to see how Wayne preformed against a top team, didn't have to wait that long.

End of the day it doesn't matter what players what formation we play wele never be good enough to win a major tournament.

As many have said until we encourage skill in kids and not win at all cost at an early age nothing will ever change.

And as for the FA guy saying during the cringey Roy interview that were going to look at why we struggle when we reach the knockout stage hahahahahaha!!!!!

On 28/06/2016 at 20:30, stephenkibby. said:

Yes it was pretty bad last night. Roy had no clue never has Sturidge playing wide what?

Only a striker and certainly not a team player a reason he's been bombed out of Man C and Chelsea.

Rashford the real young hope 18 great first touch two footed and no fear brought on for the last 3 mins, (did roy think he had already used all his subs?)

Rooney in midfield? Was looking forward to see how Wayne preformed against a top team, didn't have to wait that long.

End of the day it doesn't matter what players what formation we play wele never be good enough to win a major tournament.

As many have said until we encourage skill in kids and not win at all cost at an early age nothing will ever change.

And as for the FA guy saying during the cringey Roy interview that were going to look at why we struggle when we reach the knockout stage hahahahahaha!!!!!

There's only one thing I would change about your post, and that's that Rooney wasn't playing against a top team, he was playing against Iceland. I don't dislike Wayne as a person, but he has been a huge letdown for England

Archived