IGNORED

Missing the game for the sake of a drink

ChippenhamRed

Mentioned this in the match thread but it bothers me so much I wanted to mention it again!

I was amazed yesterday just how many people started disappearing down into the concourse from about 38 minutes onwards to get a drink. You could score 3 goals in the 7 minutes until half time! I guess this phenomenon is more pronounced than it used to be now we have more outlets and, in today's case, a much bigger crowd. 

I just cannot get my head around the mentality of being willing to risk missing even a second of the action just so you can get a drink a bit quicker. I couldn't bear to be stood in the concourse while the match was in progress. The anxiety that I might be missing something would kill me. Is it not the case that, ultimately, we all attend football for the thrill of seeing the ball hit the back of the net? I like the whole experience, the singing, the atmosphere, but really I'm there for the rush of endorphins that comes with a goal.

Football is not cheap these days. I'm amazed how many people seem to view actually watching the match they have paid to see as almost a secondary concern. I just find it strange. Am I the only one?!

When I USED to go I got there several hrs before kick off, the reason; time to look in shop, have a few pints, some food, soak up the atmosphere in those pubs etc, watching the game was only part, of a day out.

Some fans liked to enter the ground early to see players warming up etc some arrive in the last 5mins before ko; point being the game is just part of that day and what fans do during their time at the game is up to them whether it means leaving early at half/fulltime or not; they paid their money their CHOICE.

Me I`m in no rush to exp the new modern football/ground and values where it seems its ok for away fans to gob off in home fans faces and homes fans likely to face a ban if they react :facepalm:

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Mentioned this in the match thread but it bothers me so much I wanted to mention it again!

I was amazed yesterday just how many people started disappearing down into the concourse from about 38 minutes onwards to get a drink. You could score 3 goals in the 7 minutes until half time! I guess this phenomenon is more pronounced than it used to be now we have more outlets and, in today's case, a much bigger crowd. 

I just cannot get my head around the mentality of being willing to risk missing even a second of the action just so you can get a drink a bit quicker. I couldn't bear to be stood in the concourse while the match was in progress. The anxiety that I might be missing something would kill me. Is it not the case that, ultimately, we all attend football for the thrill of seeing the ball hit the back of the net? I like the whole experience, the singing, the atmosphere, but really I'm there for the rush of endorphins that comes with a goal.

Football is not cheap these days. I'm amazed how many people seem to view actually watching the match they have paid to see as almost a secondary concern. I just find it strange. Am I the only one?!

Being able to watch the game on the TV's whilst queuing for a beer means barely a second of action is missed. 

Considering the queues in the 'horseshoe' at half time, it's no wonder so many leave early to beat them. 

6 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Being able to watch the game on the TV's whilst queuing for a beer means barely a second of action is missed. 

Considering the queues in the 'horseshoe' at half time, it's no wonder so many leave early to beat them. 

I don't really consider watching the game on a telly as a good enough alternative. It's all about seeing it live and being a part of crowd for me.

I get the queue issue but it still wouldn't be enough to get me out of my seat!

19 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

When I USED to go I got there several hrs before kick off, the reason; time to look in shop, have a few pints, some food, soak up the atmosphere in those pubs etc, watching the game was only part, of a day out.

Some fans liked to enter the ground early to see players warming up etc some arrive in the last 5mins before ko; point being the game is just part of that day and what fans do during their time at the game is up to them whether it means leaving early at half/fulltime or not; they paid their money their CHOICE.

Me I`m in no rush to exp the new modern football/ground and values where it seems its ok for away fans to gob off in home fans faces and homes fans likely to face a ban if they react :facepalm:

I'm not disputing freedom of choice. Although it is annoying when you have so many people getting up and blocking your view, so frankly I would prefer it if they made a different choice.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm with you on this one red, couldn't possibly miss a minute of play whether it's the start, half or full time. Been to a few rugby internationals at Twickenham and the constant up and down in your seat just so people can get drink has put me off going.

1 minute ago, Betty Swallocks said:

People pay their money, they can do what they wish. 

Same as with leaving the ground early, if they want to leave then that's up to them. 

A day out at football isn't just about 90 minutes of football.

As I have already said I am not disputing freedom of choice.

10 minutes ago, Andy1970 said:

Just moaning about it? :whistle:

Which is fair enough.

And, as per the recent debate, that somebody doesn't sing and contribute to the atmosphere is their choice, they shouldn't be sworn at for it, but it makes the match experience less good for everybody else.

Ditto the early leavers at half time or the end.

As atmosphere is a big deal (and what got most of us hooked in the first place) then it is perfectly reasonable to complain about things that lessen that atmosphere.

No your not the only one , I tend to agree with you. I don't see the point of rushing to the bar at half time downing a pint before rushing back to your seat all in the space of 15 min.   It never happen back in the day , this is quite a recent development in modern football.

I prefer pre and post match drinking. I can go 90 mins without a pint.

The worst case I've seen was at Wembley last year, which I suppose is expected as there were a lot of fans for one day. I had to have a pee about 10 minutes into the second half and was amazed to see what must have been 2 or 3 thousand people stood around chatting and drinking. 

Just goes to show the modern day football fan is made up of all sorts of people, very different to years ago.

I don't really consider watching the game on a telly as a good enough alternative. It's all about seeing it live and being a part of crowd for me.

I get the queue issue but it still wouldn't be enough to get me out of my seat!

By your own admission CR- you don't get to too many games so I understand you wouldn't want to miss a moment. Missing a home goal because you wish to avoid a queue s a poor price to pay!

If you go to every game then you just get used to doing things a certain way because it's easier. Leaving 1min before half time can make a big difference- leaving 1 min after can mean missing the start of the 2nd half if you need some refreshment ( be it a pint , food or a coke) and a wee so no real difference. That's an issue which the club need to sort out in terms of ultra quick service and staffing levels and It's getting better all the time - years ago you could queue the entire HT just to get to the tiny revolting bog in the Dolman and still miss the start.

Where I completely agree is on the issue when you have to stand up to allow people to leave your row or the row in front of you and it blocks your view. Worse still is when they stop to watch a crucial moment. Overall I don't think it's a problem providing fans are courteous- if they want to watch half the match from the concourse then so be it. People arriving late or leaving early hasn't really ever changed and short of locking people in or out there is no solution.

I've never had a match ruined by people leaving their seats but lots ruined by people staying in them

10 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Wembley's a day out that pulls in loads of people who are just there for the experience.  I've done the same at Wimbledon (tennis not AFC) and enjoy having a pint before strolling back to rejoin the game.

Yeah I get that, it was just I was surprised at the numbers. When I've been to Twickenham I'm not a massive rugby fan and it's just a day out for me but my day out includes watching the whole game else I'd save money and stay in the pub outside.

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yeah I get that, it was just I was surprised at the numbers. When I've been to Twickenham I'm not a massive rugby fan and it's just a day out for me but my day out includes watching the whole game else I'd save money and stay in the pub outside.

Top tip: save even more by not travelling from Devon to a pub in Twickenham.

• Admin

I hope the club continue with the outdoor outlets outside the Lansdown Stand as they allow you to queue whilst not losing smoking/vaping time and takes the pressure off the indoor outlets. I didn't leave my seat in the SS until after the half time whistle blew, stood chatting & vaping outside for a fair while, checked all the half time scores before realising the queue was short enough to get myself a Roast Pork baguette and still return to my seat in the SS before the teams were out for the second half. Only feedback I would suggest is if there are tannoys outside (I don't even know) could some kind of announcement be made that the teams are returning as I was burned by this at the Wigan game and missed the opening couple of minutes of the second half. @Mkelly

19 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

I watched Newcastle fans at the same time as our lot were pouring out, I seen 1 or 2 leave their seats early.

Personally I find it very embarrassing

Be sure to go to St James for the return then AD where you will see that things are pretty much the same up there. And everywhere around the country.

4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I hope the club continue with the outdoor outlets outside the Lansdown Stand as they allow you to queue whilst not losing smoking/vaping time and takes the pressure off the indoor outlets. I didn't leave my seat in the SS until after the half time whistle blew, stood chatting & vaping outside for a fair while, checked all the half time scores before realising the queue was short enough to get myself a Roast Pork baguette and still return to my seat in the SS before the teams were out for the second half. Only feedback I would suggest is if there are tannoys outside (I don't even know) could some kind of announcement be made that the teams are returning as I was burned by this at the Wigan game and missed the opening couple of minutes of the second half. @Mkelly

Fans from the SS should not come round to the Lansdown stand and take places in our queues- get your own.

P.s What was the pork baguette like?

I used to have a season tkt in the old Williams.3 city fans would arrive 5 mins after kick off,leave 10 mins before the end of the first half and take there seats 10 mins late for the 2nd half! Your not the only one who thinks it's strange.but to some people alcohol is the b all and end all

14 minutes ago, Ian M said:

That's a good idea Ian M, In the Nordea Theatre here, when the second period is 5 minutes away from starting, they play a little jingle in the bars, they also do this at the start, can't remember what the tune is now, but before the Theatre was called the Nokia,  so they played the Nokia tune.  Perhaps at AG "One for the Bristol City" or even better "Drink up thee Cider"

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think people are rushing as much to the toilet as they are to the bar. 38 minutes is a long time to hold in several pints when you've already broken the seal.

Queues for food and drink yesterday were very quick around our season tickets in the Lansdown. In fact we didn't have to queue before or at half time where we bought them.

14 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Dislike the boozy culture in every shape or form, especially at football matches, if you can't spend a couple of hours without a pint then you need a good check over!!

I tend to agree but I can`t go two hours without a fag and cram two in at half time so I probably shouldn`t comment!

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

No your not the only one , I tend to agree with you. I don't see the point of rushing to the bar at half time downing a pint before rushing back to your seat all in the space of 15 min.   It never happen back in the day , this is quite a recent development in modern football.

I prefer pre and post match drinking. I can go 90 mins without a pint.

.....Lucky git..............mine's a double...hic..

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm not disputing freedom of choice. Although it is annoying when you have so many people getting up and blocking your view, so frankly I would prefer it if they made a different choice.

...so long as its the same as yours? they pay their money as you do.

They don't really block your view just obstruct it for a few seconds, is everyone supposed to sit till exactly ht then all make a mad rush for the loo/drinks etc;? aint gonna happen.......ever. The only way would be to move to the front row or hire a ex box?

Archived