IGNORED

not played villa since 1980 so lets make it a bigger attendance than Newcastle - NOW SOLD OUT (Merged)

Never to the dark side

I have already conceded that the majority of older fans are able to use the Internet / and probably have a mobile phone . There is however a small minority who are not willing or able to buy tickets in advance for various reasons.  Not least would be the extreme difficulty in using the On Line Ticket  website at the club  , or indeed have the patience to wait for over 30 minutes for the Ticket hotline to be answered. Not to mention the £1 booking fee.

I have family whom live many milers away and they are exasperated by the time taken  trying to get through on the phone and some times impossibility of buying tickets on line . They are in their 20's, intelligent young men, IT literate and live on their mobiles.They attended the Newcastle game  after trying for 3 days to get tickets . for themselves ,a friend and their Dad.

We have around 15,000 committed fans but we have a 27,000 seater stadium to fill. There is a huge uncommitted football loving population living within 30 miles of Bristol. The Club needs to develop a Sales/ Marketing strategy to attract these potential supporters to our home games and make it make it easier to buy tickets .I see no evidence of any such strategy at the moment.

Hopefully when the ground has passed whatever safety hurdles are necessary, POTD will be available, avoiding the need to book in advance. Having a SOLD Out message with less tickets sold than the Newcastle game, 2 days before one of our biggest matches with around 5,000 empty seats all around the ground (with no explanation whatsoever) does not help attract the uncommitted fans.

6 hours ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

The problem is, if they cheer if they score or come close. Then the problem is will we behave ourselves. It kicked off behind us last week in the Heineken area when Newcastle scored. 

We??...don't include me with 'them'....any idiots on display-life ban...simple.

6 hours ago, italian dave said:

Exactly this. And we've sold out many games through the past two seasons, so it's not like anyone's got in the habit of just walking up on match day and getting a ticket. 

Do people really think the club doesn't want to sell as many tickets as it can? We've got a hefty wedge coming our way for Bolasie now, so let's just not bother about match day income for the next few weeks.... 

The 'club' are underperforming to such a degree on an organisational level that would be easy to believe.truly dire.would love to know who exactly is making /failing to make decisions?......'Carry On BCFC'.......but without the Laugh's.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I fully agree that buying tickets should be the easiest thing in the world for any supporter to do. Anything else is just crazy when people (customers) are trying to give the club (business) their hard earned money. There shouldn't be difficulties. 

However, I think your description of the older fanbase is quite bizarre and to them, nigh on offensive. 

I'm sure they can use a telephone and (virtually) anybody with a bank account has a debit card. 

Internet access if readily available to all in libraries, public service reception areas, even if not in their own homes. 

I don't think the club can legislate for the minuscule minority who won't confirm with the modern day way of purchasing. 

How do these people buy their Prodigy & Kanye West tickets through ticket master...? 

Why can't we legislate for the minority? We should be trying to attract every supporter we can. It's not just about the likes of us (season ticket holders). My dad's 83, doesn't even know what a computer is! Yes, I could try for a ticket for him, but I struggle sometimes with the online system myself. What about people who play football ? In the winter theres loads of games called off last minute, these people can't just rock up on the day and pay. As much as we all think Rovers are I tin pot club, at least you can go to the ground and get a ticket.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

The 'club' are underperforming to such a degree on an organisational level that would be easy to believe.truly dire.would love to know who exactly is making /failing to make decisions?......'Carry On BCFC'.......but without the Laugh's.

I don't know why you think they're 'underperforming'. Surely selling out on a regular basis is great business? Personally, I think the match day experience at Ashton Gate is getting better by the week. OK, I've got a season ticket, but if I didn't I assume I'd find it as easy to get a ticket as I do for a cup game, and that's dead easy, and even better now I can load it onto my season card. I've bought tickets for family and friends on line without any difficulties. The club were really helpful with parking this summer, making sure they contacted me to tell me when the ticket renewals were ready. Despite a 22000+ crowd I got into the ground without a problem, it's easier than ever to get something to eat and drink without long queues now - and more food options to choose from. The staff who serve at the food outlets are great - best I've come across at any ground.

I'm not saying it's perfect - but the whole administration has spent the past two years living in temporary offices, and just moving into new offices while work is going on all around is probably not going to help in the short term, but give them some slack.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Or they're trying to do what they can with their hands tied behind their back?

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I don't know why you think they're 'underperforming'. Surely selling out on a regular basis is great business? Personally, I think the match day experience at Ashton Gate is getting better by the week. OK, I've got a season ticket, but if I didn't I assume I'd find it as easy to get a ticket as I do for a cup game, and that's dead easy, and even better now I can load it onto my season card. I've bought tickets for family and friends on line without any difficulties. The club were really helpful with parking this summer, making sure they contacted me to tell me when the ticket renewals were ready. Despite a 22000+ crowd I got into the ground without a problem, it's easier than ever to get something to eat and drink without long queues now - and more food options to choose from. The staff who serve at the food outlets are great - best I've come across at any ground.

I'm not saying it's perfect - but the whole administration has spent the past two years living in temporary offices, and just moving into new offices while work is going on all around is probably not going to help in the short term, but give them some slack.

You genuinely casnt see how the club are missing a trick post redevelopment???...tis as clear as the summer sun!....(well not tomorrow-p****ng down)!...

7 hours ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

Why can't we legislate for the minority? We should be trying to attract every supporter we can. It's not just about the likes of us (season ticket holders). My dad's 83, doesn't even know what a computer is! Yes, I could try for a ticket for him, but I struggle sometimes with the online system myself. What about people who play football ? In the winter theres loads of games called off last minute, these people can't just rock up on the day and pay. As much as we all think Rovers are I tin pot club, at least you can go to the ground and get a ticket.

You can when it's not sold out. 

I'm not sure what your point is? 

Fact is Bristol City is a badly run football club ref backroom office staff and has been for many years. It is improving but "big companies" always struggle to adapt to change.  Too much politics and egos involved in my experience.

The ticketing side of the business is still a shambles! Little to no connection with the local community, poor marketing,  poor communication etc. I could go on and on!!

Thankfully the on the pitch staffing activities HAVE improved much quicker than off the pitch. 

So much has been going right that it's disappointing that the purchase of tickets for non ST holders seem to be a struggle. It does take a bit of time to understand how the system works and what the second category of Membership means. Being a ST holder yet getting really frustrated buying my tickets for the Portsmouth friendly shows that the system has flaws. The difficulty in getting a ticket for the impulse purchaser is clearly not good atm.

However, Aston Villa were always going to be one of the biggest if not the biggest home game of the season with massive away support with the logistical nightmare of Villa fans attempting to purchase seats in the home sections. This combined with the Lansdown stand not yet fully functional , biggest clubs at the start of the season and  so many new systems being incorporated all at once has lead to problems which are solvable.

I reckon if today was v Burton then we wouldn't have any problems. As the ticketing has been a problem for several seasons then some of the criticism is well placed but some is just good old OTIB and over the top.

21 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

Difference may be caused by the segregation at the Atyeo.

Solution to move the Atyeo City fans next season to the South Stand ,East End corner next to the Dolman  as previously discussed on another thread. Maximises the Away attendance , no segregation needed , perhaps as many as 8,000 extra Away fans over a season = £250,000 more revenue. Huge benefit of getting our most vocal following back in their spiritual home  , generating noise and passion which would surely spread into the SS and the Dolman , a wall of sound  at the Gate !

Sounds a lot but when it buys a 1/3 of a Derrick Williams and we risk losing control of the noise and support one has to ask.. is it worth the risk?? I, for one, think not even though it is irritating we cannot seem to fill to capacity.

Hopefully the club will manage the Atyeo space somewhat more intelligently than it has so far; you only have to look at the seat distribution.

5 hours ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

My point is, City make it too hard for the elderly, (that have no internet access,) and the occasional fan, to purchase tickets.

What a ridiculous statement. Since when have the elderly had no internet access. Every elderly person that I know has internet access, including my grandmother who is 94, she loves being able to talk to her small group of friends online. I think most elderly do have Internet access.

21 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

What a ridiculous statement. Since when have the elderly had no internet access. Every elderly person that I know has internet access, including my grandmother who is 94, she loves being able to talk to her small group of friends online. I think most elderly do have Internet access.

If you care to look further at available statistics, and there are many, you will see that your statement is without foundation. Whilst internet usage is rising dramatically in the over 65's,  more than a third have never used the internet. The internet is a wonderful thing but it also leaves sectors of the population disadvantaged.

51 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

26 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

If you care to look further at available statistics, and there are many, you will see that your statement is without foundation. Whilst internet usage is rising dramatically in the over 65's,  more than a third have never used the internet. The internet is a wonderful thing but it also leaves sectors of the population disadvantaged.

Whether he elderly have Internet access or not, what stops them picking up the phone?

24 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

Been working away and wife tried to get tickets Thursday afternoon for myself and 2 sons(10 & 6)

no seats available together BUT I know of a group of villa fans with tickets in the west stand

my boys are gutted but if I could of I would of gotten then earlier,like already said give the away fans the whole stand then we can have ALL the west stand

Capacity today is 6,000 below what it will ultimately be, and we are playing a well known and well supported team from not that far away. It's an almost unique set of circumstances that won't be repeated. All giving the entire Atyeo to away fans would do would reduce the total number of tickets available to home fans.

19 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

It's hardly a ridiculous statement, well done to your grandmother, my dad still uses carrier pigeons!

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 06:45, St Aldhelms Red said:

My point is, City make it too hard for the elderly, (that have no internet access,) and the occasional fan, to purchase tickets.

Not just the elderly.

I can't even remember the last time I saw someone at a game who looked even remotely Amish.

Down with this sort of thing.

Archived