IGNORED

Parking

ollywhyte

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I drive from Bridgwater, this time of year I avoid the M5, I also avoid the A38 around the Burnham on sea junction.

A good alternative for you if your stuck around the BW area on the M5 is to take the route I use. Come off at J23, follow signs to Glastonbury, after about 3 miles turn left and go through Woolavington and East Huntspill, stay on that road and go all the way to Cheddar, then you can get on the A38 in that area, your only 30 mins from AG then.

Its avoids any risk of getting stuck on the M5. I drove that route to AG last week, took me about an hour from Bridgwater.

Done that route many a time mate but you`ve still got to get to Puriton and that can be the worst bit sometimes.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Done that route many a time mate but you`ve still got to get to Puriton and that can be the worst bit sometimes.

True, mind you, getting through Bridgwater is my worst bit!, but if the M5 is blocked ( or normal August bumper to bumper) you know you will definetly get to the game when using that route. 

If your coming from Taunton, wouldn't it be easier for you to go to Glastonbury and the A37 this time of year?

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

True, mind you, getting through Bridgwater is my worst bit!, but if the M5 is blocked ( or normal August bumper to bumper) you know you will definetly get to the game when using that route. 

If your coming from Taunton, wouldn't it be easier for you to go to Glastonbury and the A37 this time of year?

I`ve tried that but it`s such a drag up the A37, get stuck behind a lorry on one of the hills after Shepton and it`s painful. An awful lot of 30 limits along there too and you come into Bristol out by Whitchurch so have to get across town. I`ve done it a few times when I`ve been working Sherborne way and am going up for a night match on my own but you have to make sure you`re on your way by about 3 otherwise you barely make kick off. It`s actually quicker to go back to Taunton and up the M5 I reckon!

26 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Think I'll leave at 0930 tomorrow on reflection, if I don't manage to see the full game this time I give up!!

Why not drive to Exeter and catch the return train to Temple Meads? £18 ish return...you'll get to Temple Meads around 12:30ish. You can walk to Ashton Gate, sample the atmosphere and build up in the fan zone and catch the full game.

As others have said, this is the last really difficult travel weekend (until end of October) so whilst I recognise it may be a little more cost it may be worth it on the odd occasion

21 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Used the portway park n ride last week, it did the job, just off m5 to boot......

Same here. And we'll be using it tomorrow. We live in Oxford...quicker to drive down the M4 and put up with the queue around Cribbs Causeway on the M5 than it is to drive down the M32 and through town. £4 each though...

In Bristol already. Not risking that pesky road tomorrow.

Tried the A38 once, instead of the M5 on a BH weekend. Took 3 hours from South Devon. Even with the benefit of avoiding seeing that monstrous carbuncle that is Morrison's Distribution Centre never will I deviate again! 

Another vote for the Portway Park & Ride, just a  pity it doesn't come closer to W-o-T. 

I moved to Devon around a dozen years ago and I am amazed at how many City fans I've met. I live in Chudleigh where there are at least two other reds (reduced by one now David James has moved on). I also run a local football junior football team and have a City supporting keeper and sit next to somebody at work who's a red. 

13 minutes ago, hollydog said:

I moved to Devon around a dozen years ago and I am amazed at how many City fans I've met. I live in Chudleigh where there are at least two other reds (reduced by one now David James has moved on). I also run a local football junior football team and have a City supporting keeper and sit next to somebody at work who's a red. 

Lummydaze. My partner lived in Chudleigh for 12 years until 3 weeks ago on the Millstream Meadow bit. Now living with me in Bishop. A City stronghold Is our village.

As for Teignmouth........the real hardcore live there! 

Now turning my missionary zeal to East Devon where partner's son-in-law is being rapidly converted from MU to City as is his dad, mates etc. .. days out don't get much better than Exeter train, boat to Pump House, AG and back. 

22 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Lummydaze. My partner lived in Chudleigh for 12 years until 3 weeks ago on the Millstream Meadow bit. Now living with me in Bishop. A City stronghold Is our village.

Now turning my missionary zeal to East Devon where partner's son-in-law is being rapidly converted from MU to City as is his dad, mates etc. .. days out don't get much better than Exeter train, boat to Pump House, AG and back. 

Small world - we're just off Millstream Meadow! 

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

The proper firm :)

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Boat working out well for you then?

8 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Coming up from Dawlish today, will keep an eye out for the crew on the M5.

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve tried that but it`s such a drag up the A37, get stuck behind a lorry on one of the hills after Shepton and it`s painful. An awful lot of 30 limits along there too and you come into Bristol out by Whitchurch so have to get across town. I`ve done it a few times when I`ve been working Sherborne way and am going up for a night match on my own but you have to make sure you`re on your way by about 3 otherwise you barely make kick off. It`s actually quicker to go back to Taunton and up the M5 I reckon!

You can come off the A37 and go over the top of the mendips, down through Dundry and come out in Withywood/Bemmy Down - bit easier I found when I used to come in from Somerset...

Portway P&R did I proud again today......almost as proud as the team in 2nd half..

.....I drive in on the Portway every morning to work up Hengrove and then out again every evening but never really get chance to appreciate it's beauty, ... sitting up top of a double decker with 3pts in the bag makes you realise it must be one of ,if not the most, picturesque routes into a city in the UK.....

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You can come off the A37 and go over the top of the mendips, down through Dundry and come out in Withywood/Bemmy Down - bit easier I found when I used to come in from Somerset...

Indeed. Turn left at the roundabout at chelwood bridge. Then right at the roundabout where it's signposted ' bishopsworth '

Archived