IGNORED

Mark Ashton interview on Radio Bristol (Merged)

Never to the dark side

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

We're going to be playing 1 up top for the majority of games with 3 behind going on recent games. Therefore we have three strikers to cover that role.  A forth would be nice but for the next 3 months we can cope. None of us know how Gustav is going to go.

Good point and none of us know how well Grabban etc . would have gone either .

As Penetration sang ' Life's a Gamble '

No doubt the additional striker would have been fantastic but it has been a truly brilliant transfer window.

We have a minimum of 2 decent players in (nearly) all positions whereas this time last year we couldn't even fill a bench.

When you look at the clubs that finished above us last year and compare our business to theirs - I cant help thinking alot of those clubs have stood still whereas we have clearly taken several steps forward. There genuinely aren't many players in the squads of Ipswich / Cardiff / Leeds / Birmingham / Forest / Preston / QPR that I feel envious of. These were all mid table teams last season.

...and all of this having made a £10 million profit!

How good to read a balanced, intelligent discussion here, unlike some of the over-reactions in the transfer forum last night. Yes, much better to have the players we want than to bring in a striker last minute on a huge fee who doesn't really fit. We are building something really special here, at last, and building takes time. I think in most parts of games we will be playing just one striker to fit the pattern LJ wants in approach play, with many goals coming from elsewhere. Years ago I wished we could have a set-up like Southampton; at last we seem to be putting the pieces in place throughout the club so that, whoever leaves, life goes on.

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Good point and none of us know how well Grabban etc . would have gone either .

As Penetration sang ' Life's a Gamble '

If the value placed on Grabban of £6-8 million is anywhere near the truth then I'm pretty relieved we didn't get him as it would demonstrate that the club have learnt nothing.Happily I think they have .

As  the Stranglers sang 'Something better change"- and it has.

12 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Wilbraham, under the guise of LJ's innovative coaching techniques, regains a sudden youthful turn of pace, and bangs in 20+ goals.

No (clutching at straws) drama....

Well I saw Wilbraham beat a defender for pace against Villa with my very own eyes.....so.....wonders will never cease! 

14 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

How good to read a balanced, intelligent discussion here, unlike some of the over-reactions in the transfer forum last night. Yes, much better to have the players we want than to bring in a striker last minute on a huge fee who doesn't really fit. We are building something really special here, at last, and building takes time. I think in most parts of games we will be playing just one striker to fit the pattern LJ wants in approach play, with many goals coming from elsewhere. Years ago I wished we could have a set-up like Southampton; at last we seem to be putting the pieces in place throughout the club so that, whoever leaves, life goes on.

Totally agree...I think the biggest thing that has made us more successful recently, is that we are being very diligent, on finding the right players that fit in with the teams togetherness.

It's ok having all the talent in the world, but if you are a complete knob end, and likely to disrupt that togetherness, you are more damaging than positive.

I know that the scouts are asked to be detective like, in finding out about a players personality and personal life. I also know they have found players with talent, but have looked elsewhere after finding out about personal traits or issues.

Finding the total package is imperative for us...to keep that 'togetherness'.

We can't afford that 'Billy big bollox' attitude.

I think JK is going to get a rude awakening at AV. He might have a fistful of dollars now...but lets see how happy he is come the end of the season, and whether football or just money is his motivation.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree...I think the biggest thing that has made us more successful recently, is that we are being very diligent, on finding the right players that fit in with the teams togetherness.

It's ok having all the talent in the world, but if you are a complete knob end, and likely to disrupt that togetherness, you are more damaging than positive.

I know that the scouts are asked to be detective like, in finding out about a players personality and personal life. I also know they have found players with talent, but have looked elsewhere after finding out about personal traits or issues.

Finding the total package is imperative for us...to keep that 'togetherness'.

We can't afford that 'Billy big bollox' attitude.

I think JK is going to get a rude awakening at AV. He might have a fistful of dollars now...but lets see how happy he is come the end of the season, and whether football or just money is his motivation.

Nail on the head, we need to build a squad of players pulling in the right direction, working for each other. 

You can have all the quality in the world, but that won't make you play as a team....see Villa on Saturday as case in point.

Squad building and unity is a slow, on going and forever changing art. Can't be done over night and as you said earlier, there is no 'end goal' either. The sands always shift.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Nail on the head, we need to build a squad of players pulling in the right direction, working for each other. 

You can have all the quality in the world, but that won't make you play as a team....see Villa on Saturday as case in point.

Squad building and unity is a slow, on going and forever changing art. Can't be done over night and as you said earlier, there is no 'end goal' either. The sands always shift.

or England…:protest:

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Exactly fella...and may I add, it's also the wise manager who releases those players, if they become disruptive to the equilibrium of the squad during their spell here...that's why I believe it was good business getting rid of JK.

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

To be fair I think the move itself has already answered that question, whatever people think about Villa's long term stature.

I can't be the only one on Tuesday to have immediately remembered the Villa fans from Saturday howling dogs abuse at Ayew and others as they walked off, and thought JK was being very naive. The raw aspects of his game aren't going to survive very long with that lot, particularly if the team isn't up the top quickly.

We do need to be careful as well though. With so many young players and of course our youth teams we still need to have a path / career for people at the club. Players will not want to be left out of the squad, and we are already starting to get a large squad again, we already have 23 first team players. I have faith that LJ has a rota/schedule of players, when they will be ready for first 11 / backup / subs / squad / loaned / sold etc  but don;t want to see the days of having a club full of players with no future but long contracts sat around causing discontent again.

Several posters have mentioned the thin cover in the striker department and I was one but.....having thought about I realise that City actually have decent options.

Wilbrahams, Abrahams the two new blokes Paterson and Gustav to start with. Add to those Tomlin who could be utilised there. Obviously he's able to be more creative slightly deeper but if injuries/suspensions arise he could step into the position.

Stop worrying boys and girls...

23 minutes ago, Olé said:

To be fair I think the move itself has already answered that question, whatever people think about Villa's long term stature.

I can't be the only one on Tuesday to have immediately remembered the Villa fans from Saturday howling dogs abuse at Ayew and others as they walked off, and thought JK was being very naive. The raw aspects of his game aren't going to survive very long with that lot, particularly if the team isn't up the top quickly.

I'm more concerned about Albert…

2 hours ago, Dave said:

How about Peter Odemwingie?

I was told by a good source a couple of days ago he was playing in Ireland now but can't find any reference to it. Whether it was a trial or just training I don't know. I always thought he was an expensive option, maybe he has lowered his expectations if he is indeed looking to Ireland?

30 minutes ago, Just Red said:

We have had a great start to the season and with a bit of luck anything can happen. I just hope by not signing a striker that it's not the difference between mid table and a play off challenge. 

That's my concern, the likes of a Kodjia can turn 0-0's into a 1-0 five or six times a season, which can in turn gain a club 15-18 points. This makes a major difference ins tight league like ours.

Look at it this way. When we went up in 2007 we had the mighty Phil Jevons as our main striker.

In 2008 our Play Off final year, we had Byfield, Dele and Trundle. None of them scored prolifically.

Now we have a much stronger squad and a teenage sensation up front in Tammy.

I am very happy. Superb transfer window and in profit too.

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

That's my concern, the likes of a Kodjia can turn 0-0's into a 1-0 five or six times a season, which can in turn gain a club 15-18 points. This makes a major difference ins tight league like ours.

Tammy has already proven himself capable of doing this.

As has Tomlin.

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I think Kodjia isn't the player to turn to when you need to grind out a result. Yes he scores, but maybe it's my imagination but it's usually when the team are on the up. And to be honest he hasn't  experienced abuse hurled at him. @Olé mentions abuse given to Ayew, and what about them singing Grealish's name after he scored and them wanting to rip him apart by the end of the match. Kodjia goes into hiding after a few clipped ankles on a cold night away at Rotherham, I just don't think unless things are going well he will be mentally up for it. He has put the pressure on himself I'm afraid. 

3 minutes ago, Webzcas said:

Look at it this way. When we went up in 2007 we had the mighty Phil Jevons as our main striker.

In 2008 our Play Off final year, we had Byfield, Dele and Trundle. None of them scored prolifically.

Now we have a much stronger squad and a teenage sensation up front in Tammy.

I am very happy. Superb transfer window and in profit too.

Absolutely. The 2008 squad massively over-achieved when you look at the quality of individual players, which was great testament to team spirit and GJ's man management. Had we gone up, I am convinced we would have come straight back down, albeit with a nice parachute payment, as there was no real long-term planning in place. Now we have a much stronger squad and proper progression planning, as well as the best transfer window ever, with great deals in both buying and selling. It has always fascinated me that a brilliant businessman like SL didn't apply the same principles he used in his company to BCFC, but maybe he didn't have the time then. Now he has stepped back from his company, he is able to focus properly on Bristol Sport.

Archived