IGNORED

Good result in the end but...

formerly known as ivan

Something I mentioned a few weeks ago was the lack of clean sheets so far the season. Another 2 conceded today against arguably the weakest team in the league.

Just feel we would be so more solid having Pack in the middle. I do not think for a second Bobby should be dropped so not sure how it would work but for me Pack needs to be in there.

Maybe if he was we wouldn't find ourselves being behind so often.

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Something I mentioned a few weeks ago was the lack of clean sheets so far the season. Another 2 conceded today against arguably the weakest team in the league.

Just feel we would be so more solid having Pack in the middle. I do not think for a second Bobby should be dropped so not sure how it would work but for me Pack needs to be in there.

Maybe if he was we wouldn't find ourselves being behind so often.

It will improve when we get Korey back.

I would say they were two very unfortunate goals which could of easily been avoided!! Football is a great game and there's a reason why we come back week in week out and today was one of those days.

2-0 nil down and I'm thinking to myself how the heck are we loosing and then bang 2-2 and could of been 2-3, 2-4 in our favour! 

Personally if Ekstrand stays fit and shows the coaching staff the player he was before the injury then I can only see one outcome! That will be Flint dropping to the bench which is no disgrace to Flint as he has a great CB to compete with. 

The way we play football allows the opposition to counter on us, like we used to last season and the season before in parts. So opportunities will come for the op and we need to be sure we have the best back 4 on the pitch to counter their counter :) I'll probably get shouted down but I'd play AM HM JE SG in my back 4. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Didn't we concede to a defensive mixup and an own goal? Not sure pack would have made much difference. Admittedly not at the game but seems like we were doing. Okay 

Exactly!  One mess up and a deflected goal in off Flint. Some would say both goals were unfortunate but then shit happens sometimes. 

But.....the boys fought back to 2-2 and were unfortunate not to nick all 3 points. 

No doubt the lads are a little disappointed on their way back to Bristol.

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Didn't we concede to a defensive mixup and an own goal? Not sure pack would have made much difference. Admittedly not at the game but seems like we were doing. Okay 

Not saying Pack would have made a difference to the goals conceded today but just in general I believe we would be more solid and difficult to break through with him in the team

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Exactly!  One mess up and a deflected goal in off Flint. Some would say both goals were unfortunate but then shit happens sometimes. 

But.....the boys fought back to 2-2 and were unfortunate not to nick all 3 points. 

Watch the highlights. I'd say it was more like Flint was trying to hack it clear, but ended up hacking it into his own net off the post! 

No deflection for me.

Just now, Kingswoodactor said:

Watch the highlights. I'd say it was more like Flint was trying to hack it clear, but ended up hacking it into his own net of the post! 

No deflection for me.

I only heard what Adam Baker said on radio commentary. I haven't seen the goals yet. 

I like Flint, don't get me wrong, but his "cult hero" status does mean he perhaps gets away with a bit more from the fans than another player of the same ability might.

For example, it was stated on here recently by someone that they "wouldn't swap Flint and Magnusson" for any other centre back partnership in this division. I think this partnership needs a lot more games before we start making claims like that.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I like Flint, don't get me wrong, but his "cult hero" status does mean he perhaps gets away with a bit more from the fans than another player of the same ability might.

For example, it was stated on here recently by someone that they "wouldn't swap Flint and Magnusson" for any other centre back partnership in this division. I think this partnership needs a lot more games before we start making claims like that.

If it had been Little in Flints place for those goals today there would be multiple threads slating him and not a single positive thing would be able to be said about Little.

My assessment of the season so far is that we have played the two best sides in the division and lost both by the odd goal.

Take them out of the equation and we've claimed 10 points from 12. I'd say that sounds very promising indeed and suggests we are heading for at least a mid-table finish and could be outside contenders for a playoff spot.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If it had been Little in Flints place for those goals today there would be multiple threads slating him and not a single positive thing would be able to be said about Little.

Agreed, but Flint has earned himself the leeway from the fans for the consistency, quality and the goals his performances have warranted over the past few seasons.

The same would go if Korey gave a penalty away for example.

I see the point you're making, but Flints errors are so uncharacteristic, hence the lack of backlash. 

1 minute ago, deadredfred said:

Agreed, but Flint has earned himself the leeway from the fans for the consistency, quality and the goals his performances have warranted over the past few seasons.

The same would go if Korey gave a penalty away for example.

I see the point you're making, but Flints errors are so uncharacteristic, hence the lack of backlash. 

I'd say Flint's errors are as common as anyone's in the side. That's not a criticism, but I do think the "leeway" he gets is more due to his rapport with the fans and his cult status, than the actual quality of his performances.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'd say Flint's errors are as common as anyone's in the side. That's not a criticism, but I do think the "leeway" he gets is more due to his rapport with the fans and his cult status, than the actual quality of his performances.

Flint's errors? He's the most consistent centre half we have at the club and has been for 3 seasons. I think giving him stick after one bad game is a little harsh 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If he hadn't done that 'no no no' after the Swindon game he would come under much more criticism. I like him and think he's a good player but don't think he's shown as much evidence that he 'loves the club' as some would like to believe.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Flint's errors? He's the most consistent centre half we have at the club and has been for 3 seasons. I think giving him stick after one bad game is a little harsh 

watch him, like all of our defenders he is prone to a mistake or two per game, but for the most part the mistakes aren't costly

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don't think they'll be coming home before the Wednesday game on Tuesday. Sure they'll be disappointed though.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agreed re the "leeway", but when you make an error as a defender it's far more likely the outcome is a goal conceded. You could consider us not being able to hit a barn door today as individual 'errors' from Bobby, Freeman or anyone else who didn't score with some of the goal scoring chances they were presented with.

As for his rapport, that's 90% born from his performances alone. He's improving every season, regularly scores, gives his all and seems entirely professional. For me, any "leeway" he is afforded is entirely justified and well earnt. 

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think the leeway is also in part due to the fact he was so abject when he started but he knuckled down, worked hard, kept putting himself about and Rose like a Phoenix. Everyone likes an underdog and under SOD there was none more than Aden Flint and now he's holding his own at worst in the League above. If anything he exemplifies why we should give leeway considering we'd probably be looking for a massive profit on him when just what 24m ago some would have 'driven him there myself'. 

16 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Which part of "that's not a criticism" did you not understand?

I am not being critical of him, I think he's an excellent defender and would be one of the first names on my team sheet, I just think he is less harshly assessed than other players in the team who are equally capable.

Anyway, just because he is our most consistent performer, which I would tend to agree with, does that mean he doesn't make mistakes?

Archived