IGNORED

Good result in the end but...

formerly known as ivan

3 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Hey, what is this, gang up on me, thread? I thought we were all allowed an opinion. Maybe bot. Well, mine is the FA Cup is meaningless. I'm not alone - witness the drop in attendance for these games at all grounds. It was sold out (well, it was 15,000) at home because it was £10 a ticket. It wouldn't sell out otherwise. Why else make the tickets £10? The taking of 5,000 is fantastic. I never said it wasn't, you just assumed that. It was also very meaningless in my opinion (if I may be permitted one by this rabble of bullies - that should get'm started...) in that it distracted us from or may have resulted in injuries to players needed for our relegation fight. Unless a 4th Round draw at Peterboro is meaningful. Or helpful. Or inspiration-ful. 

Cheese, some people just can't take a wind-up, can they? Now, you all have 45 mins to answer, starting...now...

Lower priority than the league?  Completely agree.  Meaningless?  Absolutely not.  It was £10 because that's what West Brom charged to help fill their ground for a less attractive fixture than their normal Premier League opposition, and we were duty-bound to return the favour.  Had it been truly meaningless, it wouldn't have sold out regardless of price, just like the Portsmouth friendly didn't sell out at £10 a ticket.

And had we won that game against West Brom, we might then have gone on the win that very winnable game at Peterborough - and then who knows what might have happened.

I also don't know why you persist with the idea that if someone disagrees with your opinion that means you're not allowed an opinion.  Just because your opinion is challenged doesn't mean we don't think you have a right to hold it.  Neither is it bullying to disagree with you.

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Lower priority than the league?  Completely agree.  Meaningless?  Absolutely not.  It was £10 because that's what West Brom charged to help fill their ground for a less attractive fixture than their normal Premier League opposition, and we were duty-bound to return the favour.  Had it been truly meaningless, it wouldn't have sold out regardless of price, just like the Portsmouth friendly didn't sell out at £10 a ticket.

And had we won that game against West Brom, we might then have gone on the win that very winnable game at Peterborough - and then who knows what might have happened.

I also don't know why you persist with the idea that if someone disagrees with your opinion that means you're not allowed an opinion.  Just because your opinion is challenged doesn't mean we don't think you have a right to hold it.  Neither is it bullying to disagree with you.

Ok-dokey.

11 hours ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

You always here the experts on MoTD saying that the centre half needs to take control and put it in Row Z.

for me  it has to be R OD fault as hes  facing the ball did  he shout ?   do feel sorry for R OD  for  og  what was  flinty  doing    ALL IN ALL BAD  DAY AT THE OFFICE    LETS ALL MOVE ON

4 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Don't.....?

Ha.

I have followed most of this thread and, for what it is worth, I share most, but not all, of your thoughts on the subject of Mr Flint.

On at least two occasions, however, you have said  'this is my last word', only to come back a few minutes later to add another comment.

So, when you said 'Eh?', I just wanted to say 'Please don't' say anything else, but you couldn't resist, could you :whistle:.

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ha.

I have followed most of this thread and, for what it is worth, I share most, but not all, of your thoughts on the subject of Mr Flint.

On at least two occasions, however, you have said  'this is my last word', only to come back a few minutes later to add another comment.

So, when you said 'Eh?', I just wanted to say 'Please don't' say anything else, but you couldn't resist, could you :whistle:.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It annoys me so much that certain people are saying Flint had a mare. Yes there was a mix up with the keeper for the first goal...Maybe Flints error...maybe the keepers...both at fault imo.

As for the second goal...how can it be Flints fault?

He's got back across the box in time to try and block the shot...he's got a foot to it, unfortunately it's taken not enough and it's deflected into our net.

Not one person is looking at the build up to that goal. They had a man over on their left...Little was having to cover two men, their number 37 and 15 who scored.

Where was our midfield tracking back and covering the run of the number 15? Whoever was responsible for that, was responsible for the second goal...not Flint.

Flint was doing his defensive duties...He'd already put in a tackle in the build up, the ball deflected fortunately into the path of their no.37...Bobby Reid was ball watching and following the ball...the no.37 was his man. No one was tracking the no.15.

It's easy to blame Flint because he was the last man the ball touched...but come on guys...look at the bigger picture.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

It annoys me so much that certain people are saying Flint had a mare. Yes there was a mix up with the keeper for the first goal...Maybe Flints error...maybe the keepers...both at fault imo.

He's got back across the box in time to try and block the shot...he's got a foot to it, unfortunately it's taken not enough and it's deflected into our net.

Not one person is looking at the build up to that goal. They had a man over on their left...Little was having to cover two men, their number 37 and 15 who scored.

Where was our midfield tracking back and covering the run of the number 15? Whoever was responsible for that, was responsible for the second goal...not Flint.

Flint was doing his defensive duties...He'd already put in a tackle in the build up, the ball deflected fortunately into the path of their no.37...Bobby Reid was ball watching and following the ball...the no.37 was his man. No one was tracking the no.15.

It's easy to blame Flint because he was the last man the ball touched...but come on guys...look at the bigger picture.

I said something similar to his before, Flint was unlucky with the second, and we'd expect him to try and block every shot, regardless. As people said with the first goal, safety first, right? What if he'd left it and ROD had been unsighted and it rolled in, people would be saying why the hell didn't he stick a foot in.

Also worth saying that current golden boy GON (who I do rate highly BTW) gave the ball away in the build up to the equaliser, having already done so 5 mins earlier almost costing us a goal. He still gets an 8/10.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Agree with a lot of that, but at the same time the ball was going with little power for a shot and O'Donnell had it covered 100%. Coming in from where he did, Flint should have seen this and made the judgement not to throw himself at a shot that wasn't going to trouble O'Donnell.

Some blame lies elsewhere for the build up, but it was poor decision making from Flint that put the ball in the goal, so at least some of the blame is on him.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Lots of good points there spud but I don't think there's any getting away from the fact that if you attempt to clear a ball that you don't realise you don't need to, and you get the contact wrong and it ends up in your own net, then you have to accept some of the blame.  But I absolutely agree that there were numerous errors in the build up, as you have identified.

It seems the first goal was a case of Flint not taking matters into his own hands when he should have done, whereas the second was a case of Flint taking matters into his own hands when he'd shouldn't have!  All easy with hindsight though isn't it, and on another occasion he could have left the second one and someone might have ghosted in behind him - it's difficult to be too critical of someone for trying to boot it out rather than leaving it to someone else.  More often than not it's the safer option.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Err simple, he had the last touch the put the ball in the net - if he hadn't of touched it, the ball would have trickled through to O'Donnell, any meaningful connection and it whizzes into the stand

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Some blame lies elsewhere for the build up, but it was poor decision making from Flint that put the ball in the goal, so at least some of the blame is on him.

Clearly his mistake, amazed that some just can't see that

It was just unfortunate that he was involved massively in two massive cock ups, which ultimately cost us the 3 points

3 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Do you know what hilarious means? In fact you saying what he said is hilarious is hilarious. I'm going to serve you with one of these.......:handbags:

Good luck trying to get a constructive reply from him. I challenged him on his "hilarious" comment and didn't get any sort of proper answer on why it was apparently so funny to suggest we might be "outside contenders for a play off spot".

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 21:33, Robbored said:

Ekstrand is an international standard CB and Moore, although a youngster is an international CB at u21 level. You don't get honours like international call ups at any level unless you have footballing intelligence. 

Matt Hewlett got an England U-21 call up.

I believe your argument has just been blown out the water.

I won't even mention Geoff Thomas, which I could do if I really want to point out the flaw.

29 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Matt Hewlett got an England U-21 call up.

I believe your argument has just been blown out the water.

I won't even mention Geoff Thomas, which I could do if I really want to point out the flaw.

Matt Hewlett had footballing intelligence in abundance. 

Geoff Thomas?  You'll have to remind me.....

7 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Hilarious..

You still haven't actually given a reason for why it is "hilarious" that we could be "outside contenders for the playoffs"

A contender for the playoffs could finish as low as 10-11th if they fall away at the end, so what is so ludicrous about the suggestion that we could potentially be an outside (unlikely) contender for the playoffs that it is deemed "hilarious"?

Many fans of other clubs have us down as the dark horses of this season, and bear in mind we have recently deservedly ran out comfortable winners again Villa who have one of the best squads in the division.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Must have missed that game! Aside for that U-21 call up all I can recall if Hewlett was a goal in a 9-2 FA Cup game and having the intelligence to not tackle or get stuck in. 

Geoff Thomas was crap yet somehow managed to win 9 England caps. 

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Francis Jeffers, Michael Ricketts, David Nugent?

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

To be fair to Nugent, he got 1 goal from 1 game :whistle:

(OK, he might have stolen the goal from someone else when the ball was a yard from the goal)

Fair point - must've been his intelligence. 

Archived