IGNORED

Stadium Announcer / Downsey (Merged)

Paul Cheesey

1 hour ago, TRL said:

He is a big headed nob that loves the sound of his own voice and craves to be centre of attention... and that's just on radio, just imagine the ego trip with a captive 20k audience. I bet he is lapping up every minute

A bit harsh, but I think you may have hit the nail on the head. 

Commercial radio needs to fill airtime with 'entertainment' in the guise of vacuous on-air personalities (I won't go as far as to call them DJ's - I doubt very many know anything about music). And that I'm afraid is the mind-set of our new PA announcer. The job he needs to do is 180 degrees from his usual on-air one.

I do think he's much less offensive than when he first started, but I really don't understand why he thinks he has to keep mentioning where we are or why he has to get excited like we are all four year olds at a birthday party.

25 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Had to laugh as I entered the Dolman around 2.45 he was saying that some guy (no idea who this was) had "been a Bristolian all his life".:whistle:

Was just about to post the same...

An absolutely classic Partridge moment that had me in stitches when he said it...something along the lines of "born in Bristol in 19xx, he's been a Bristolian all his life"

He's tried, he's improved (slightly) but he's an embarrassment. 

He said he was learning and taking onboard all the constructive criticism. That buys you some time but you've got to deliver sooner or later.

Just as bad as the start of the season. It's nothing personal and I hope he doesn't feel that way.

'Excited at all the wrong times' is the way I feel is best to describe what he does.

5 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

Was just about to post the same...

An absolutely classic Partridge moment that had me in stitches when he said it...something along the lines of "born in Bristol in 19xx, he's been a Bristolian all his life"

He's tried, he's improved (slightly) but he's an embarrassment. 

The guy he talked about is still with us, so presumably will continue being a Bristolian for the rest of his life, too.

As you say, he's really shite though.

7 hours ago, Selred said:

Why don't we do any half time entertainment anymore? I miss through the belly to win a telly etc. Some harmless fun.

Agree.  Happy for a few birthday messages, but no point trying to rouse the crowd at half-time, half of them are in the concourse.  Even away fans join in with football related comps during half-time.

He will improve, but I find it a bit cringy.

19 hours ago, super slick said:

I enjoy that he keeps telling me I'm at Ashton Gate. Along with shouting everything down the microphone and sounding surprised at everything he says.

Might be ok for rugby, but awful for football.

Bring back DL! 

Whilst I don't particularly like the new guy's style, DL also constantly made reference to it being Ashton Gate! That's not a new thing....

He was awfully on Sat, 

He gabbled through the half time numbers in the half time draw,never heard any of them .did anyone claim it.? Will have second thoughts  about supporting it if he don't get his act together, slow down and get a new micraphone ,we are not at a kids party

39 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Don't feel the need for 8-12 individual happy birthdays in a row, all my other moans have already been said :thumbsup:

Indeed. I'll go a step further, (dons tin hat and gets coat, already shutting the door, and yes it hits my backside) but is there really any need for these birthday messages at all in these days of social media?

Yes it was nice for the couple celebrating their Golden Anniversary, and maybe for kiddies under the age of 10 to hear their names. But do older people really feel that excited about hearing their name shouted out by a third rate wannabe DJ in the middle of a football game, really? People have other means of wishing eachother well etc nowadays don't they. And let's be honest unless you are the person sending or receiving the message you don't really give a flying fig that 'Jamie is 17 today, come on you reds' do you. Just gets annoying background noise. 

I appreciate half time entertainment is difficult, only a narrow window yo do anything, but we have done better in the past. Games against rival fans, etc, the youngsters having a kick about, anything that is less Downsy. I've seen a video of the players kicking football at an inflatable dartboard on YouTube recently, the balls have Velcro so they stick to the board, highest score wins, something like that between fans might be possible ?

Edit; In fact why have anything at all, read out the scores, info about ticket availability for next games, any important announcements then turn the music down/off and let me be able to chat to the person next to me without yelling or using sign language.

What I couldn't understand on Saturday wes that just after we scored and the singing etc was about to start, someone on the tannoy had the bright idea of reading out the attendance and the number of away fans.

Why not wait until the end of the game or at least let the celebrations for the goal finish before talking over them.

19 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

What I couldn't understand on Saturday wes that just after we scored and the singing etc was about to start, someone on the tannoy had the bright idea of reading out the attendance and the number of away fans.

Why not wait until the end of the game or at least let the celebrations for the goal finish before talking over them.

And on that note what's the point in saying the away attendance? Who on earth would care how much Blackburn bring down?

Archived