IGNORED

Stadium Announcer / Downsey (Merged)

Paul Cheesey

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Indeed. I'll go a step further, (dons tin hat and gets coat, already shutting the door, and yes it hits my backside) but is there really any need for these birthday messages at all in these days of social media?

Yes it was nice for the couple celebrating their Golden Anniversary, and maybe for kiddies under the age of 10 to hear their names. But do older people really feel that excited about hearing their name shouted out by a third rate wannabe DJ in the middle of a football game, really? People have other means of wishing eachother well etc nowadays don't they. And let's be honest unless you are the person sending or receiving the message you don't really give a flying fig that 'Jamie is 17 today, come on you reds' do you. Just gets annoying background noise. 

I appreciate half time entertainment is difficult, only a narrow window yo do anything, but we have done better in the past. Games against rival fans, etc, the youngsters having a kick about, anything that is less Downsy. I've seen a video of the players kicking football at an inflatable dartboard on YouTube recently, the balls have Velcro so they stick to the board, highest score wins, something like that between fans might be possible ?

Edit; In fact why have anything at all, read out the scores, info about ticket availability for next games, any important announcements then turn the music down/off and let me be able to chat to the person next to me without yelling or using sign language.

I feel like the screens should let us do more. Maybe there could be a way of putting the birthday dedications on the screens - complete with a picture - in a slideshow. Halftime scores and a 'how it stands' league table perhaps too?

I think a bit more entertainment like the stuff we used to do would be good, the dartboard thing was a good idea. I don't really see the point in loud pop music (which is a bit strange anyway considering the largely male demographic) and loads of birthday announcements, surely we can do a bit better. 

36 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

When did you decide to be openly rude about people RedM?

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question. I'm stating my opinion like many others on here. 'Openly rude' as opposed to what? 'When' as in what exact moment? Perhaps it was on Saturday when I felt my intelligence was being insulted. 

I've nothing against Downsy personally, but he's the wrong person/doing the wrong type of job for what I want to hear at a football match, and it seems I'm not alone. And to be honest I couldn't care less if I was a lone voice.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question. I'm stating my opinion like many others on here. 'Openly rude' as opposed to what? 'When' as in what exact moment? Perhaps it was on Saturday when I felt my intelligence was being insulted. 

I've nothing against Downsy personally, but he's the wrong person/doing the wrong type of job for what I want to hear at a football match, and it seems I'm not alone. And to be honest I couldn't care less if I was a lone voice.

"third rate wannabe DJ", I did cut the quote down to a single line to help you. I've never understood you or anyone else finding the need to make personal comments about people trying to do their job, whether they do it as you would like or not.

10 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

"third rate wannabe DJ", it was quite a simple question.

I'd say I was actually being generous. If you are insulted by that after half the things I read on here, well I'd better not go on for fear of upsetting you. It's nothing I wouldn't say to his face, and wouldn't be afraid to do so as I believe I could point out evidence, from Saturday's match alone. Anyway I don't know why I'm discussing him with you, unless you have connection in particular, care to reveal your interest or is it me you feel you need to question about my rudeness. If so you are wasting your time, I don't answer to anyone. If you don't like my stance put me on ignore.

edit: I have seen since I replied to you thst you have edited your post. My opinion still stands.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

"third rate wannabe DJ", I did cut the quote down to a single line to help you. I've never understood you or anyone else finding the need to make personal comments about people trying to do their job, whether they do it as you would like or not.

Let's put it another way, he's fecking useless and isn't fit for purpose !

44 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'd say I was actually being generous. If you are insulted by that after half the things I read on here, well I'd better not go on for fear of upsetting you. It's nothing I wouldn't say to his face, and wouldn't be afraid to do so as I believe I could point out evidence, from Saturday's match alone. Anyway I don't know why I'm discussing him with you, unless you have connection in particular, care to reveal your interest or is it me you feel you need to question about my rudeness. If so you are wasting your time, I don't answer to anyone. If you don't like my stance put me on ignore.

edit: I have seen since I replied to you thst you have edited your post. My opinion still stands.

That's cool, if you feel the need to belittle someone personally, who isn't on here and AFAIK hasn't done anything to you when making a point it says a lot more about you than them. I thought you were above that but hey - what do I know.

Don't flatter yourself, I've tried to understand why other keyboard warriors have such deficiencies they need to make up for too, but funnily enough you never get a clear answer :shutup:

The personal comments in this thread towards the guy make pretty unpleasant reading. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but the personal digs are completely unnecessary.   

Imagine if you were doing your job to the best of your ability and came across this thread. 

Maybe if you have disparaging comments to make about him on a personal level you should seek him out at the game and let him know your thoughts, just make sure you bring your keyboards to hide behind!

8 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

That's cool, if you feel the need to belittle someone personally, who isn't on here and AFAIK hasn't done anything to you when making a point it says a lot more about you than them.

Don't flatter yourself, I've tried to understand why other keyboard warriors have such deficiencies they need to make up for too, but funnily enough you never get a clear answer :shutup:

But aren't you trying to do the same to me, I guess that's 'cool' too?

I certainly don't flatter myself, I have engaged into this conversation with you. You seem to have overlooked anything positive I've said on this thread and took it upon yourself to question what you perceive as negative.

As for not getting a clear answer, obviously I can't speak for all the other people you have questioned on this thread about their opinions, but maybe the 'deficiency' is with you that you can't accept opinions you don't agree with or the rights of others to state them.

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The personal comments in this thread towards the guy make pretty unpleasant reading. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but the personal digs are completely unnecessary.   

Imagine if you were doing your job to the best of your ability and came across this thread. 

Maybe if you have disparaging comments to make about him on a personal level you should seek him out at the game and let him know your thoughts, just make sure you bring your keyboards to hide behind!

Clearly reading this thread there is a strong feeling STILL that things are not improving, as this chap is the only person doing the role how else other than naming him are people supposed to make comments? or are you saying that people are not allowed to be critical of his role?

As for your last sentance that is really childish !

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

But aren't you trying to do the same to me, I guess that's 'cool' too?

I certainly don't flatter myself, I have engaged into this conversation with you. You seem to have overlooked anything positive I've said on this thread and took it upon yourself to question what you perceive as negative.

As for not getting a clear answer, obviously I can't speak for all the other people you have questioned on this thread about their opinions, but maybe the 'deficiency' is with you that you can't accept opinions you don't agree with or the rights of others to state them.

What's he done to you, RedM? Pissed in your cornflakes? There's a difference between criticising someone's work and just chancing an opportunity to have a pop at them. You don't understand the difference between criticism and getting into personal insults.

Obviously it's entirely unreasonable to question that, because everyone's entitled to an opinion, regardless of whether it's vitriolic or otherwise. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think you've mentioned on OTIB you have a daughter - imagine the comments going beyond criticism of the role, including yours, were about her?

I'm sure you'd take it lying down. After all, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

4 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Clearly reading this thread there is a strong feeling STILL that things are not improving, as this chap is the only person doing the role how else other than naming him are people supposed to make comments? or are you saying that people are not allowed to be critical of his role?

As for your last sentance that is really childish !

I think it's perfectly legitimate as paying customers of the club to make comments/offer feedback about his performance as a match day announcer, just that there's simply no need for personal insults.

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Agree, think it's important to keep threads like this from becoming too personal. I felt the first time a thread like this popped up, post-Newcastle, it was useful and constructive.

He will only want to do his best and took the tweets and comments on here very well. Was quite admirable actually, lots would have taken it very personally. It was really good to see a club employee appear to take onboard feedback and act on it. I feel that isn't always the case and sometimes people at the club carry on doing something people don't like defiantly almost. 

I think though that it's a bit worrying that these threads are still popping up in late October. I would've expected it to die down by now and things to settle down. The comments here, the constructive ones anyway, shouldn't be ignored and perhaps the club should have a rethink if it really isn't the right tone for football. I must admit I did find it surprising the club chose a self-confessed non-football fan for the role; I think to do the job as well as you possibly can you need to be a football fan really.

He seems like his heart is in the right place and he is obviously trying, but there is clearly strong feeling about this quite a way into the season which is a bit concerning and maybe the club shouldn't ignore it.

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

What's he done to you, RedM? Pissed in your cornflakes? There's a difference between criticising someone's work and just chancing an opportunity to have a pop at them. You don't understand the difference between criticism and getting into personal insults.

You realise this a football forum where the majority of the comments are people heaping personal insults on players and playing staff if they are considered to not be doing their jobs well? It stands to reason that people will treat all public employees of the club in the same way, for instance the stewards get loads of personal abuse, as does the camera man for zooming in to much. I'm not saying this is right or wrong.

I'm one of the fans who rolls in just before KO and then has a pint outside at half time so can't say I'm bothered by the bloke.....

4 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

You realise this a football forum where the majority of the comments are people heaping personal insults on players and playing staff if they are considered to not be doing their jobs well? It stands to reason that people will treat all public employees of the club in the same way, for instance the stewards get loads of personal abuse, as does the camera man for zooming in to much. I'm not saying this is right or wrong.

Yeah I have read this place once or twice, and I am embarking on what will be a largely fruitless one-man campaign to stem the tide. God loves a trier though.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree, think it's important to keep threads like this from becoming too personal. I felt the first time a thread like this popped up, post-Newcastle, it was useful and constructive.

He will only want to do his best and took the tweets and comments on here very well. Was quite admirable actually, lots would have taken it very personally. It was really good to see a club employee appear to take onboard feedback and act on it. I feel that isn't always the case and sometimes people at the club carry on doing something people don't like defiantly almost. 

I think though that it's a bit worrying that these threads are still popping up in late October. I would've expected it to die down by now and things to settle down. The comments here, the constructive ones anyway, shouldn't be ignored and perhaps the club should have a rethink if it really isn't the right tone for football. I must admit I did find it surprising the club chose a self-confessed non-football fan for the role; I think to do the job as well as you possibly can you need to be a football fan really.

He seems like his heart is in the right place and he is obviously trying, but there is clearly strong feeling about this quite a way into the season which is a bit concerning and maybe the club shouldn't ignore it.

I agree.

The issue lies now with the club..who is giving him direction and feedback?

If they are happy with his performance then there's not much other than our constructive criticism we can do however I feel his style needs work as it's clearly grating a large proportion of the attendees  

@Robin1988 , I won't bother quoting your post, I expect others are getting bored of us by now, I know I am. So on that note I promise not to reply to you any longer on this thread. Go ahead have the last word, I guess you need to.

5 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

I agree.

If they are happy with his performance then there's not much other than our constructive criticism we can do however I feel his style needs work as it's clearly grating a large proportion of the attendees  

Maybe it is a direction from the club. He (Downsy) seemed overtly 'in your face' on Saturday after being much less so for a few games. I don't care who is reading this, Donsey or Steve L himself but my opinion still is that it was very poor. 

I want the announcer to be like a good Ref (and didn't he get some critism after Saturday but somehow I wasn't chastised for that, were any of you btw or is it just me that is judged to be 'openly rude') Anyway, like a good Ref I want him to do his job quickly and efficiently, do what needs to be done without putting the spotlight on himself and just let us enjoy the match.

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

Maybe it is a direction from the club. He (Downsy) seemed overtly 'in your face' on Saturday after being much less so for a few games. I don't care who is reading this, Donsey or Steve L himself but my opinion still is that it was very poor. 

I want the announcer to be like a good Ref (and didn't he get some critism after Saturday but somehow I wasn't chastised for that, were any of you btw or is it just me that is judged to be 'openly rude') Anyway, like a good Ref I want him to do his job quickly and efficiently, do what needs to be done without putting the spotlight on himself and just let us enjoy the match.

I'm not going to include myself in this 'debate' but yes, it's just you being openly rude, IMO. (And not that I care either way)

20 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If everyone could spell his name as he likes it, that would be a little more respectful for a start.

Just call him Ian.  He doesn't like that apparently, even though that is his name.

13 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I'm not going to include myself in this 'debate' but yes, it's just you being openly rude, IMO. (And not that I care either way)

You care enough to contribute, so I value your considered input. 

51 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

I agree.

I wonder if he was chosen for the desired 'family audience' they want at AG. He's a voice lots of people would recognise from the radio during the school run, maybe the idea was he'd be very popular with that demographic - a vocal extension of Scrumpy the Robin. 

I'm not sure who'd be giving him direct feedback, I'd imagine perhaps the media team? 

From today's "Elephant in the Room" thread ...

59 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Thought this was  thread about Tomlin not keeping to his diet.

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's very harsh. 

54 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Funny though.

So @Robin1988 when you stated, earlier on this thread "You don't understand the difference between criticism and getting into personal insults" it would appear that you're happy enough when a personal insult is made against one of our players, just not our announcer. Right?

Don't trip over that fruitless campaign. :thumbsup:

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

From today's "Elephant in the Room" thread ...

So @Robin1988 when you stated, earlier on this thread "You don't understand the difference between criticism and getting into personal insults" it would appear that you're happy enough when a personal insult is made against one of our players, just not our announcer. Right?

Don't trip over that fruitless campaign. :thumbsup:

Got to love the irony

Archived