IGNORED

Thoughts from today

chipdawg

Being a 'Dirty Northern B@5tard' I don't get to many games, so I'll only comment on today in isolation as before today i'd only seen the Cardiff game and the Wednesday game

I have no idea what LJ was thinking with the team set up. Three central midfielders, no width and two full backs who didn't know when to attack and defend. After putting 3 ball players in midfield we then gave them stiff necks by constantly hitting long balls to Wilbs who did a marvellous job of winning headers that went to no one because there was only Tammy getting beyond him. It was baffling and frustrating and while there were some flashes of good play it was pretty patchy. Their goal was shit and the penalty was soft so justice was done

2nd half we were a bit better to start but didn't really get going until the substitutions. Bryan instantly made such a difference, driving play and giving us width. We instantly started dominating but once in the lead sat back on it. More frustration. In the end I think a draw was a fair result. Barnsley are a decent side, injuries or no injuries but really we only have ourselves to blame for not getting all 3 points

Ratings:

LJ- 4. Bizarre starting line up, bizarre tactics, bizarre sub at the end. I wonder if he overthought thinks given the situation?

Frankie 8- saved a penalty, stopped another couple of decent efforts. And yet still I'd rather see RO'D between the sticks because his distribution isn't fast enough for me and he doesn't command his area

Golbourne 6- defended well enough, couldn't offer the width needed

Hordur 8- he was excellent, possibly our MoM. Always in the right position and assured in possession. He has a big future in the game

Flint 7- no nonsense and no frills, made some great tackles 

Matthews 5- looks unfit and slow. I feel a bit sorry for him because he was a bit hamstrung by the formation, but needs to get better

GO'N 7- a pest and everywhere. Very important to us

Smith 5- just looked a bit lost in the formation

Reid 6- played well in patches, but also seemed to struggle with the system. Definitely a championship player these days though

Tomlin- I don't really know how to rate Tomlin. He was rubbish for large periods and wasted numerous attacking opportunities. But then he scored a penalty and created the penalty. The man is an enigma

Tammy 6- not his best day, but still got a goal. I'm not sure feeding off flick ons and knock downs is the best way to use him

Wilbs 7- he won nearly every header that came his way, but the number of headers he was asked to win is the problem. At 37, he looks as good as he ever has

One final thing; how did their player not get sent off for the handball penalty? It looked bad at the time, it was awful in the highlights

I think you need to rate Tomlin on his key contributions - he is what he is - the luxury player who will never work tirelessly and who cannot successfully pull off every trick or adventurous pass he tries but can and will create chances others can't.

I was not there today but scoring a penalty and putting that unbelievable reverse pass on a plate for Tammy has to make him a 7 or 8 surely !!

27 minutes ago, Neo said:

I think you need to rate Tomlin on his key contributions - he is what he is - the luxury player who will never work tirelessly and who cannot successfully pull off every trick or adventurous pass he tries but can and will create chances others can't.

I was not there today but scoring a penalty and putting that unbelievable reverse pass on a plate for Tammy has to make him a 7 or 8 surely !!

Yeah, he basically won us a point (should have been three), but he was SO frustrating until then. But you are right, he did exactly what we pay him for really

47 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Being a 'Dirty Northern B@5tard' I don't get to many games, so I'll only comment on today in isolation as before today i'd only seen the Cardiff game and the Wednesday game

I have no idea what LJ was thinking with the team set up. Three central midfielders, no width and two full backs who didn't know when to attack and defend. After putting 3 ball players in midfield we then gave them stiff necks by constantly hitting long balls to Wilbs who did a marvellous job of winning headers that went to no one because there was only Tammy getting beyond him. It was baffling and frustrating and while there were some flashes of good play it was pretty patchy. Their goal was shit and the penalty was soft so justice was done

2nd half we were a bit better to start but didn't really get going until the substitutions. Bryan instantly made such a difference, driving play and giving us width. We instantly started dominating but once in the lead sat back on it. More frustration. In the end I think a draw was a fair result. Barnsley are a decent side, injuries or no injuries but really we only have ourselves to blame for not getting all 3 points

Ratings:

LJ- 4. Bizarre starting line up, bizarre tactics, bizarre sub at the end. I wonder if he overthought thinks given the situation?

Frankie 8- saved a penalty, stopped another couple of decent efforts. And yet still I'd rather see RO'D between the sticks because his distribution isn't fast enough for me and he doesn't command his area

Hordur 8- he was excellent, possibly our MoM. Always in the right position and assured in possession. He has a big future in the game

Matthews 5- looks unfit and slow. I feel a bit sorry for him because he was a bit hamstrung by the formation, but needs to get better

Reid 6- played well in patches, but also seemed to struggle with the system. Definitely a championship player these days though

Tomlin- I don't really know how to rate Tomlin. He was rubbish for large periods and wasted numerous attacking opportunities. But then he scored a penalty and created the penalty. The man is an enigma

Tammy 6- not his best day, but still got a goal. I'm not sure feeding off flick ons and knock downs is the best way to use him

Wilbs 7- he won nearly every header that came his way, but the number of headers he was asked to win is the problem. At 37, he looks as good as he ever has

One final thing; how did their player not get sent off for the handball penalty? It looked bad at the time, it was awful in the highlights

Just got in and seen the highlights - how on earth did the Barnsley player not get sent off for one of the most blatant handballs you'll ever see - and that's not even being biased! So obvious. Just more shit ŕefereeing.

Just back. 

I agree with most of your observations Chipdawg...with a few exceptions. 

I don't think there was anything "bizarre" about LJ's line up or substitutions. It was different system but featured the "two up top" so many seem to ask for, and Wilbs played a blinder as a target man. I'd agree that it didn't really work...although I suspect that my assessment would be different if we'd held on to the lead and won!

Their first goal was very soft, and fortunate, (see edit below) and changed the shape of their play...they sat back and tried to hit us on the break after that.

When Joe came on he was surely being asked to play in a different, attacking, role to the more defensive role Golbourne had been playing. And when we switched to 3-5-2, which seemed very sensible to me at the time given the way they were approaching the game, Brownhill was replacing a tiring Matthews, who'd looked off the pace all match...again, didn't seem that bizarre a choice, he played there very well for a similar amount of time a few weeks back.

In my opinion where we mucked up at the end was in game management. Moments before their goal we had a throw at the other end of the pitch near the corner. It was crying out for a boring ball-retention throw to a seasoned old hand and a bit of running down the clock...instead of which Joe tries to throw it to Tammy in an attacking position, the ball is lost and moments later it's in our net.

Got to laugh reading the match day thread...the comments of some posters who should know better are laughably inaccurate assessments of a match they're not watching. Truth was it was a tight match...either side could have won...they are good and went for it...we had our moments....but above all it was a cracking match. Highly entertaining and worth the 400 mile round trip!

Edit: just watched their first goal on the highlights...couldn't have been more wrong, it was very well taken!

24 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Just back. 

I agree with most of your observations Chipdawg...with a few exceptions. 

I don't think there was anything "bizarre" about LJ's line up or substitutions. It was different system but featured the "two up top" so many seem to ask for, and Wilbs played a blinder as a target man. I'd agree that it didn't really work...although I suspect that my assessment would be different if we'd held on to the lead and won!

Their first goal was very soft, and fortunate, and changed the shape of their play...they sat back and tried to hit us on the break after that.

When Joe came on he was surely being asked to play in a different, attacking, role to the more defensive role Golbourne had been playing. And when we switched to 3-5-2, which seemed very sensible to me at the time given the way they were approaching the game, Brownhill was replacing a tiring Matthews, who'd looked off the pace all match...again, didn't seem that bizarre a choice, he played there very well for a similar amount of time a few weeks back.

In my opinion where we mucked up at the end was in game management. Moments before their goal we had a throw at the other end of the pitch near the corner. It was crying out for a boring ball-retention throw to a seasoned old hand and a bit of running down the clock...instead of which Joe tries to throw it to Tammy in an attacking position, the ball is lost and moments later it's in our net.

Got to laugh reading the match day thread...the comments of some posters who should know better are laughably inaccurate assessments of a match they're not watching. Truth was it was a tight match...either side could have won...they are good and went for it...we had our moments....but above all it was a cracking match. Highly entertaining and worth the 400 mile round trip!

I was perhaps being a little harsh on the final substitution, but I thought it felt a little unnecessary. As for the formation, it doesn't work on paper and it didn't work on the pitch. If you're going to play 3 central midfielders (2 of them defensively minded), then you need to play fullbacks who provide width. Time after time there was acres of space on the flanks that went unexploited. To make it worse, he played two strikers who play very much in the middle part of the pitch. As soon as Bryan came on, he exploited that space and we got a couple of goals. I just think LJs tactics made it as difficult as he could for us

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I was perhaps being a little harsh on the final substitution, but I thought it felt a little unnecessary. As for the formation, it doesn't work on paper and it didn't work on the pitch. If you're going to play 3 central midfielders (2 of them defensively minded), then you need to play fullbacks who provide width. Time after time there was acres of space on the flanks that went unexploited. To make it worse, he played two strikers who play very much in the middle part of the pitch. As soon as Bryan came on, he exploited that space and we got a couple of goals. I just think LJs tactics made it as difficult as he could for us

Can't disagree with your assessment of the lack of width.

Just back too, bizarre bizarre tactics, a tactic we don't have the right full backs for. Matthews was extremely leggy, their number 40 ran him ragged. Wilbraham playing 90 minutes was also odd but he did ok.

And a word on Barnsley, a terrific dive their penalty miss, I know we're probably getting stick in their forum but they were no better, niggly tackles, diving, embarrassing antics. Glad this "grudge" game is over.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Can't disagree with your assessment of the lack of width.

City were away from home with the emphasis being on the home side to be on the front foot, To go anywhere and play with width you stretch the midfield and by doing so you get outnumbered in the middle of the pitch.

5 across the middle is the only formation to play that way. Problem with that is that your wing backs can get caught out of position leaving the back three exposed. We saw plenty of that under Cotterill. 

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Ratings:

Really good assessment there fella, 2 things that really frustrated me today were Fieldings distribution and Mathews reluctance to get tight to his man. 

On Fielding he was probably our best player, saved a pen and made a few more decent saves however his reluctance to release the ball had a massive impact on how we played today. I read someone on here say that maybe it's an instruction from LJ to hold on to the ball, that is possible but I'd say if that was the case why did our defence constantly show for the quick throw out today? If he's been instructed to hold onto the ball and go long then why bother? The Barnsley keeper was lightning quick to release the ball and set the tone for a number of quick breaks, Fielding held onto it, kicked it long and we lost possession time and time again. the annoying part for me was when we actually got the ball down and passed it we looked alright but those occasions we few and far between. 

Onto Mathews and he was up against a very lively winger today, his run and cross straight across goal in the first few mins should have set alarm bells ringing that he needed to get tight to him and not allow him to run with it. For some reason Matthews allowed him 20 yards everytime which was suicide against someone so quick. If you see the highlights, the shot in the 2nd half which hit the bar, that's about the 20 yards that Mathews allowed each attack.

On a more positive note whilst it may feel like 2 points dropped it was a very good point against a Barnsley team who were pacey on the break and had fantastic movement up front. 

55 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Just got in and seen the highlights - how on earth did the Barnsley player not get sent off for one of the most blatant handballs you'll ever see - and that's not even being biased! So obvious. Just more shit ŕefereeing.

That's definitely not a red card. Wasn't definite we would score. 

The game felt like we were the home side while they played effectively on the break. 

Reid and Korey were poor most of the game and Tomlin was frustrating  at times but did the business. 

Agree that Magnussen was really classy. give that scout a pay raise :)

11 hours ago, chipdawg said:

Ratings:

Is it possible to be too considered, to think too much and baffle yourself??

The more I watch City under LJ of late,the more I think its the case.

I understand football at this level is more a squad game than ever, but can't get it out of my gut that Lee overcooks it at times,and oddly doesn't seem to know who his best/most consistent performers are.

The players are struggling to find consistency and we look increasingly disjointed with each game..confused,even.

Yes,were 6th...fantastic(and unexpected)at 15 games in-but lately we've been getting away with it...

If we are too maintain top ten we sure don't need to restrict ourselves with the strange set up chosen for today-was almost from the football tacticians "lucky bag".........

11 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

Really good assessment there fella, 2 things that really frustrated me today were Fieldings distribution and Mathews reluctance to get tight to his man. 

On Fielding he was probably our best player, saved a pen and made a few more decent saves however his reluctance to release the ball had a massive impact on how we played today. I read someone on here say that maybe it's an instruction from LJ to hold on to the ball, that is possible but I'd say if that was the case why did our defence constantly show for the quick throw out today? If he's been instructed to hold onto the ball and go long then why bother? The Barnsley keeper was lightning quick to release the ball and set the tone for a number of quick breaks, Fielding held onto it, kicked it long and we lost possession time and time again. the annoying part for me was when we actually got the ball down and passed it we looked alright but those occasions we few and far between. 

Onto Mathews and he was up against a very lively winger today, his run and cross straight across goal in the first few mins should have set alarm bells ringing that he needed to get tight to him and not allow him to run with it. For some reason Matthews allowed him 20 yards everytime which was suicide against someone so quick. If you see the highlights, the shot in the 2nd half which hit the bar, that's about the 20 yards that Mathews allowed each attack.

On a more positive note whilst it may feel like 2 points dropped it was a very good point against a Barnsley team who were pacey on the break and had fantastic movement up front. 

I don't think it's LJ; you can see from the way the players drop off into the space as soon as Frankie catches the ball that they're looking for a quick roll out and go (which we used to do under Cotts a lot too) but Frankie always hesitates. I think he either doesn't have confidence in his (or his defenders) distribution, or he overrates his kicking ability

I actually felt that Matthews was hamstrung by the formation, he didn't know when to go and when to stay. Didn't help that he was being schooled by Ryan Kent for the first 45 min. The backing off players is something every player did and it's so frustrating. Why let a tricky winger running at pace into the penalty area before you make a tackle. It doesn't make any sense to me, but Matthews, Flint, Golbourne and Korey all did it repeatedly

Interesting watching the interview with LJ on Player. As ever he explains precisely what he was thinking in his selection. Tammy needed more physical support up front and he wanted to give it to him. O'Dowda was ill and Freeman injured, so that's a couple of wide options gone, even if he'd wanted them, perhaps he didn't. Matthews sadly proved to be off the pace and needs to work hard to get into the necessary condition to perform well...he's not there yet. He didn't want to substitute him, but had to. This was a formation LJ wanted to try and believed we could play. As ever he suggested that this was all a work in progress. A good point and we are still in the top 6.

I think he knows who his best performers are. Flint, Magnussen, O'Neil, Tomlin, Tammy play more or less every match...Fielding played a blinder yesterday, Wilbs is a great option...a solid core of Championship standard players around which the team is built. 

If only there wasn't some bloke called Johnson mucking up the team selection we'd be doing brilliantly! 

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Interesting watching the interview with LJ on Player. As ever he explains precisely what he was thinking in his selection. Tammy needed more physical support up front and he wanted to give it to him. O'Dowda was ill and Freeman injured, so that's a couple of wide options gone, even if he'd wanted them, perhaps he didn't. Matthews sadly proved to be off the pace and needs to work hard to get into the necessary condition to perform well...he's not there yet. He didn't want to substitute him, but had to. This was a formation LJ wanted to try and believed we could play. As ever he suggested that this was all a work in progress. A good point and we are still in the top 6.

I think he knows who his best performers are. Flint, Magnussen, O'Neil, Tomlin, Tammy play more or less every match...Fielding played a blinder yesterday, Wilbs is a great option...a solid core of Championship standard players around which the team is built. 

If only there wasn't some bloke called Johnson mucking up the team selection we'd be doing brilliantly! 

Haven't seen the interview, but I've said from day one, it's Matthews attitude that needs working on, as well as his fitness and application. I really get the impression he doesn't want to be here...or playing in the Championship. He's the only player in our squad, that seems to come over as a 'Billy big bollox'.... hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but something has seemed wrong since day one this season...regardless of his injury.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Is it possible to be too considered, to think too much and baffle yourself??

The more I watch City under LJ of late,the more I think its the case.

I understand football at this level is more a squad game than ever, but can't get it out of my gut that Lee overcooks it at times,and oddly doesn't seem to know who his best/most consistent performers are.

The players are struggling to find consistency and we look increasingly disjointed with each game..confused,even.

Yes,were 6th...fantastic(and unexpected)at 15 games in-but lately we've been getting away with it...

If we are too maintain top ten we sure don't need to restrict ourselves with the strange set up chosen for today-was almost from the football tacticians "lucky bag".........

I agree, LJs tinkering is McInnes-esque at times. I think Lee is a couple of notches above Del on the management ability ladder, but I just wish he'd concentrate on giving the opposition something to worry about rather than worrying about countering them- especially when the opposition has 9 first team players unavailable

But that said, we're ahead of where I thought we'd be this season and I remain a massive LJ fan

32 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

The interview, as the  one earlier in the season, is quite harsh towards Mathews. I cannot believe we will ever sign Mathews now , and I would be certain a RB will be high on our list for January. You can sense LJ has had enough. No idea on loan agreements these days, so I doubt we can end the loan in January, and with his lack of application he is hardly going to be an asset to his struggling Prem club is he. Ayling would have been playing most of this season if he had not wanted to leave. 

Agreed. Matthews looked a long way off the pace yesterday and gave their promising winger far too much room.

39 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Ayling would have been playing most of this season if he had not wanted to leave. 

No real insight to add here but for the pure coincidence of it, on my train up from London yesterday I was sat with an old Cockney family (mainly Palace fans) going to a family event. Turned out they were very close friends with Luke Ayling's family in Lambeth (I had no idea Ray Lewington was his uncle). They spoke very highly of him and said when he was at Arsenal, he was the one much was expected of, rather than Jack Wilshere, but the two went in different directions. 

Agree with the comments regarding the Player interview on Matthews - I have never seen one footballer thrown under the bus in this way once, let alone three times in a season. After these public humiliations, there is no way LJ can or will keep him, unless something radically changes. I actually thought Matthews did try to push on a bit in the first half but we refused to play the ball wide - so I think @chipdawg makes a good point about being limited by the formation. 

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

No real insight to add here but for the pure coincidence of it, on my train up from London yesterday I was sat with an old Cockney family (mainly Palace fans) going to a family event. Turned out they were very close friends with Luke Ayling's family in Lambeth (I had no idea Ray Lewington was his uncle). They spoke very highly of him and said when he was at Arsenal, he was the one much was expected of, rather than Jack Wilshere, but the two went in different directions. 

Agree with the comments regarding the Player interview on Matthews - I have never seen one footballer thrown under the bus in this way once, let alone three times in a season. After these public humiliations, there is no way LJ can or will keep him, unless something radically changes. I actually thought Matthews did try to push on a bit in the first half but we refused to play the ball wide - so I think @chipdawg makes a good point about being limited by the formation. 

Interesting re. Ayling...and re. Matthews...and I'd forgotten the reluctance to pass to him when he was free and wide...it was noticeable more than once. 

13 hours ago, chipdawg said:

Yes agree baffling cant seem to get it right  odowda not produced what were looking for width wise

We have got AM on a season loan so I don`t think we can terminate it early - I guess you can if it`s for disciplinary reasons or something like that - but not just because we want to.

Callum I think is one for the future. It must have been a hell of a step up from League 2 to the Championship for him so we can`t expect miracles from day one - his best game to date has been v Wigan, basically a League 1 side. You just have to look at some of our players from the League 1 season and how long it took them to adjust to see how much more difficult it must be for Callum to come up two leagues.

I`d still rather have him than Kemar Roofe though all things considered.

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

We have got AM on a season loan so I don`t think we can terminate it early - I guess you can if it`s for disciplinary reasons or something like that - but not just because we want to.

Callum I think is one for the future. It must have been a hell of a step up from League 2 to the Championship for him so we can`t expect miracles from day one - his best game to date has been v Wigan, basically a League 1 side. You just have to look at some of our players from the League 1 season and how long it took them to adjust to see how much more difficult it must be for Callum to come up two leagues.

I`d still rather have him than Kemar Roofe though all things considered.

Roofe has struggled so far considering the price. Only just regained his first team place.

Archived