IGNORED

Adam Baker - new SLO?

Steve Watts

46 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

He's essentially sharing the role with Rachel Lemar. She's Kay's replacement in the ticket office and so deals with those sorts of queries. Adam is pretty much dealing with the rest. 

I have no idea why the club haven't come out and said anything more publicly.

Really?

You're NOT surprised?

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

it won't be that for much longer. Once the whingers get their teeth in another good person will be perceived as public enemy #1 the same as the last SLO was.

Utter nonsense !

Like before the club create problems with the role, it is part of a UEFA directive that EVERY club has one - so why do we replace Dave with Adam yet the club don't announce it?

3 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Utter nonsense !

Like before the club create problems with the role, it is part of a UEFA directive that EVERY club has one - so why do we replace Dave with Adam yet the club don't announce it?

Technically Dave was replaced with Rachel, but that was never announced either.

So the BCFC SLO is a job-share between the Bristol City Head of Communications and the Bristol Sport Head of Supporter Services. 

That sounds like a right old car crash. Why not have ONE person doing it? Even if it's not a full time role it's got to be better than this. 

Sounds like supporters getting treated with barely disguised contempt if you ask me. 

5 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Adam's a good bloke and, although I'd prefer the role to be more independent from the club, should do a very good job. 

I'm thinking that DaveL left his role at the end of the season, early May? It's now mid November of course and perhaps Adam and Rachel have been in place since DaveL left, if not why not? Therefore I estimate we have had 2 SLO's for 6 months, not that I've noticed.

On 14/11/2016 at 15:59, CyderInACan said:

So the BCFC SLO is a job-share between the Bristol City Head of Communications and the Bristol Sport Head of Supporter Services. 

That sounds like a right old car crash. Why not have ONE person doing it? Even if it's not a full time role it's got to be better than this. 

Sounds like supporters getting treated with barely disguised contempt if you ask me. 

Slight overreaction here?!

21 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Slight overreaction here?!

Not really, Adam is a logical choice as he knows the club, fans and staff better than almost anyone but his role as head of communications would be time consuming too. The Bristol Sport Head of Supporter Services person's role is a bit too broad for my liking and doesn't necessarily indicate a focus on one 'branch' of Bristol Sport (Football OR Rugby etc).

Think it is deserving of having just one person doing it and that person a) being able to dedicate as much time as needed to it and b) be someone knowledgeable about the club, fans, personnel etc

Ideally the role would be independent from the club in my opinion, in that it can hold the club to account when needed and not just toe the line. I felt it put DaveL in some tricky situations at times (the Ultra flag issue for example) and doesn't achieve things very productively all the time. I can't see the club wanting any potential conflict though so I can see why they'd rather do it all in house.

It's good to have engagement on here from Mark Kelly but would be good to have someone who's more active in answering questions on here, Twitter, Facebook or whatever for however supporters need to get in touch.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really, Adam is a logical choice as he knows the club, fans and staff better than almost anyone but his role as head of communications would be time consuming too. The Bristol Sport Head of Supporter Services person's role is a bit too broad for my liking and doesn't necessarily indicate a focus on one 'branch' of Bristol Sport (Football OR Rugby etc).

Think it is deserving of having just one person doing it and that person a) being able to dedicate as much time as needed to it and b) be someone knowledgeable about the club, fans, personnel etc

Ideally the role would be independent from the club in my opinion, in that it can hold the club to account when needed and not just toe the line. I felt it put DaveL in some tricky situations at times (the Ultra flag issue for example) and doesn't achieve things very productively all the time. I can't see the club wanting any potential conflict though so I can see why they'd rather do it all in house.

It's good to have engagement on here from Mark Kelly but would be good to have someone who's more active in answering questions on here, Twitter, Facebook or whatever for however supporters need to get in touch.

But how is any of that 'supporters getting treated with barely disguised contempt'?

1 hour ago, Agard Days Night said:

But how is any of that 'supporters getting treated with barely disguised contempt'?

I think there is a case to argue that it's the club not taking the role seriously enough. The replacement to Dave wasn't really announced from what I can see. It could be argued that the club may rather not have the role at all as it means they may have to answer tricky questions. 

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there is a case to argue that it's the club not taking the role seriously enough. The replacement to Dave wasn't really announced from what I can see. It could be argued that the club may rather not have the role at all as it means they may have to answer tricky questions. 

Not that they've told anyone how to ask them!

I guess it might be useful to know who fills this role at other clubs? Is it usual for club employees to liaise with themselves or is a fan/supporter encouraged to take the position. How are people selected? interviewed, elected or just given the role?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They have to have a named SLO in accordance with FL rules 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How seriously would you like the club to take the role? They appear to have appointed people to the post that they feel appropriate. Seems like just another opportunity to have an unfounded OTIB whinge towards the club and another 'bloody Bristol Sport' rhetoric. Boring. 

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

How seriously would you like the club to take the role? They appear to have appointed people to the post that they feel appropriate. Seems like just another opportunity to have an unfounded OTIB whinge towards the club and another 'bloody Bristol Sport' rhetoric. Boring. 

@Agard Days Night I'm not sure if you are aware but the SLO role is a directive from UEFA that EVERY club at a certain level has to have someone in this position.

For your and other people's benefits I have copied below specific sections of their guidance - now this is NO reflection or dig at Dave, Adam or Bristol Sport - but this SLO role is simply not being done as per UEFA directive !

If anything I'm amazed that the club have been allowed to be without this role for so long without pressure from the SC&T etc

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

33 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Very seriously, if those are the appointed pair then I hope they'd do well. I just feel, as I said above, it's a role that requires certain criteria to be fulfilled to do it to the best standard possible. 

I think a lot of the complaints with how the club/Bristol sport have handled things over the last few years have been justified. They seem to be getting their act together more this season but it's taken a while.

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Agard Days Night I'm not sure if you are aware but the SLO role is a directive from UEFA that EVERY club at a certain level has to have someone in this position.

For your and other people's benefits I have copied below specific sections of their guidance - now this is NO reflection or dig at Dave, Adam or Bristol Sport - but this SLO role is simply not being done as per UEFA directive !

If anything I'm amazed that the club have been allowed to be without this role for so long without pressure from the SC&T etc

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

We at the SC&T did, even back before Dave left, send the football club what we felt an SLO role should look like, and also our view that the SLO should be recruited from outside the football club, partly because in its current form, those who have had/currently hold the role already have lots of commitments on a match day. Adam has his media commitments, and Dave had his role as matchday announcer. This means they can't get out and about as easily on a match day to mix with the fans, visit the pubs in the area and engage fully with the fan base on a match day.

That said, for the last few months, we have had a club presence at SC&T meetings, which was something we hadn't regularly had for quite some time before that. So that's an improvement. 

In short, we did give the football club what we felt the SLO brief should be, and we have asked on more than one occasion how they think the BCFC SLO role compares to what FL guidelines say. We feel as a group that this role is quite probably too much for one person, especially when they already have full time commitments at the club, so there's a way to go still, we can only hope that the club take this on board over time. 

• Admin

Interesting to read that the club don't want to acknowledge what the SC&T and the UEFA directives state - has any reason ever been given why they aren't doing this?

Agree reading what the job entails it is a full time role, and needs to be someone not currently in a position 

Archived