IGNORED

Adam Baker - new SLO?

Steve Watts

On 14 November 2016 at 14:30, Mad Cyril said:

If Dave wants to become Rachel that is fine by me and it's none of our business.

I am considering becoming Doris. When I do @Bristol Rob , you will be the first to know.

You cannot be Doris; i already am Doris. Choose another name.

Btw, excuse Doris' ignorance but what is a 'SLO' ?

I like Rachel ; always fabulously attentive when i need tickets. And i reckon she likes Cadbury's Roses ;) . 

1 hour ago, Agard Days Night said:

Let's do a straw poll on match day and see how many attendees care who the liaison is or would ever want or need to contact them. I would guess not many. 

7 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Not the question I said to ask though is it @Phileas Fogg

Because it's not really a question just yet, it's more an embriotic version of one.. an idea that could be made into a question.. which I then created :yes:

As I said above, lowering it to this ridiculous level is stupid. But in response to the example survey I came up with, it would be an overwhelming 'yes' answer and you know that really.

I guess the issues are that people (fans / supporters) want to be able to put a name to a face & know who they can contact if they ever have a problem which is club related? As things stand there is little to be upset with & for years previous, we (the fans / supporters) have lived without the need for such a position but now the clubs higher authority are seeing it as position that needs inventing.

Now this could of come in handy for myself some years ago when I had an issue with matchday policing inside the ground while I was on crutches & I had no idea who I should direct my grievance with & it was only through a contact of my grandmother that I managed to get the ball rolling but I was still left somewhat disgruntled by the outcome & it resulted in myself deciding that I could no longer trust the matchday police with my safety & I stayed away for 5 years or so!!

My personal opinion is that there are the vast majority who aren't really bothered about this position because let's be honest, the club are doing the majority of things correctly & there is little need to feel aggrieved right now but let's imagine where we could be if we had different owners & were in a position of a Leeds / Charlton / Blackburn / Hull or Coventry with foreign owners who wanted to rip the heart out of OUR club. We'd need that link, that was already put in place, just in case we needed that point of contact because you can guarantee that once those new problematic owners were in place, we'd have no one to contact & we'll end up with an endless amount of automated options on the phone & none of them wanting to take responsibility for dealing with our problem!! I'm guessing that this is why the higher authority want such a position put in place.

9 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Let's do a straw poll on match day and see how many attendees care who the liaison is or would ever want or need to contact them. I would guess not many. 

If you are arguing it's not an essential role then maybe you're a fan who just lets others get on with making the fan experience better. 

I'm not arguing that's a bad thing, just that it's not by magic that things improve or things are fixed for the benefit of all. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

If you are arguing it's not an essential role then maybe you're a fan who just lets others get on with making the fan experience better. 

I'm not arguing that's a bad thing, just that it's not by magic that things improve or things are fixed for the benefit of all. 

Morning @CotswoldRed, I never said it's not an essential role. I simply said fans are not being treated with contempt by there not being a fanfare to announce who holds the position. I also said the majority of fans on match day are there to watch the football, not have a massive complex over who the SLO is. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why? Because people are debating how a role should be conducted that potentially impacts all Bristol City fans? Seems pretty useful and productive really, it's important the club get it right.

Yep, you've got it in one!  Perhaps reading about the price of a cup of tea, followed by the debates over the SLO , has ever so slightly drained my will to live!

Roll on the Brummie game, and the lively critiques of the match result / tactics / team selection / LJ's future prospects etc.

24 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, you've got it in one!  Perhaps reading about the price of a cup of tea, followed by the debates over the SLO , has ever so slightly drained my will to live!

Roll on the Brummie game, and the lively critiques of the match result / tactics / team selection / LJ's future prospects etc.

Not really, Bristol City is more than just what happens on a pitch. For lots of people it's the highlight of their week, elements like a Supporters Liaison Officer role done correctly can enhance that. Without a supporters liaison officer in place and operating correctly a young fan may not get that birthday shoutout or 'first cap', an elderly supporter may want to know how to use internet ticketing and want some instructions,  someone might have lost something on CATS and need help getting it back..

The role is really important as it's a bridge between club and fans. I think it's good people want the role to exist and to be effective, so much so they debate it on here. It's a shame if others can't see past Bristol City the team that plays for 90 mins on a Saturday.. it's much more.

27 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Yes roll on the Brummie game, and may it pass without incident. But say the WMP are their usual selves with us? I'm not talking about our hot heads here but innocent people, young and old who may inadvertently get caught up in an incident. Who will people look to at the club for help and assistance, who will gather information and represent us to other bodies if needed?

I would see that as something the SLO would deal with. I have no idea what Rachael Lamar does on a match day, or if she travels away, but I would imagine Adam Baker would be very much busy with press stuff. For me I would want the SLO to be amongst the fans, travel on the coaches, queue for the drinks and loos and sit (stand) with the fans,  not have a company car and be able flash an AAA press badge and have free media food and drink.

(Just to be clear I have no problem with Adam or anyone else having this if they are doing their paid job, I'm assuming the SLO is a non salaried position?,  but they really cannot expect to do both roles on a match day)

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really, Bristol City is more than just what happens on a pitch. For lots of people it's the highlight of their week, elements like a Supporters Liaison Officer role done correctly can enhance that. Without a supporters liaison officer in place and operating correctly a young fan may not get that birthday shoutout or 'first cap', an elderly supporter may want to know how to use internet ticketing and want some instructions,  someone might have lost something on CATS and need help getting it back..

The role is really important as it's a bridge between club and fans. I think it's good people want the role to exist and to be effective, so much so they debate it on here. It's a shame if others can't see past Bristol City the team that plays for 90 mins on a Saturday.. it's much more.

Good post, and I salute you, you've put a lot more thought into the matter of SLO than I ever have...  Now, I don't know if anyone's called you on this, but are you perhaps Adam Baker, or Beanhead, as it seems he used to be called???

14 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Good post, and I salute you, you've put a lot more thought into the matter of SLO than I ever have...  Now, I don't know if anyone's called you on this, but are you perhaps Adam Baker, or Beanhead, as it seems he used to be called???

Thanks, I just want it to be done right and to be given the commitment it deserves. I want the person in the role to be easy to contact and accessible so anyone can get assistance however they need.

No I am not Adam but he does post on here under his own name

41 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes roll on the Brummie game, and may it pass without incident. But say the WMP are their usual selves with us? I'm not talking about our hot heads here but innocent people, young and old who may inadvertently get caught up in an incident. Who will people look to at the club for help and assistance, who will gather information and represent us to other bodies if needed?

I would see that as something the SLO would deal with. I have no idea what Rachael Lamar does on a match day, or if she travels away, but I would imagine Adam Baker would be very much busy with press stuff. For me I would want the SLO to be amongst the fans, travel on the coaches, queue for the drinks and loos and sit (stand) with the fans,  not have a company car and be able flash an AAA press badge and have free media food and drink.

(Just to be clear I have no problem with Adam or anyone else having this if they are doing their paid job, I'm assuming the SLO is a non salaried position?,  but they really cannot expect to do both roles on a match day)

Don't forget we have our football forces rep posting these days, so any shenanigans from the WMP can be reported to her.

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Don't forget we have our football forces rep posting these days, so any shenanigans from the WMP can be reported to her.

Yes absolutely, and I'm hopeful the need doesn't arise when you have Police liasing with Police for information about such incidences I have witnessed in the past. Hopefully some dialogue has been done between the two forces to prevent such intimidation and heavy handed tactics as it just escolates situations that weren't a problem in the beginning. 

I'm confused. So, is Adam the new SLO..? If he is, then how does anyone know this, if it's not been announced..?

If it has been announced, then why all the drama about it not being announced..? 

If it's not been announced, then how does anyone know that there is something to be announced..?  

I think that we should at least have an announcement about whether there has been an announcement.

If there has been no announcement, then let's at least have an announcement about when we can expect an announcement about what everybody thinks should be announced.

If there has been no announcement and there is nothing to announce then can we please have an announcement to announce that there is nothing to announce and that there will be an announcement made when there is something to announce. 

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm confused. So, is Adam the new SLO..? If he is, then how does anyone know this, if it's not been announced..?

If it has been announced, then why all the drama about it not being announced..? 

If it's not been announced, then how does anyone know that there is something to be announced..?  

I think that we should at least have an announcement about whether there has been an announcement.

If there has been no announcement, then let's at least have an announcement about when we can expect an announcement about what everybody thinks should be announced.

If there has been no announcement and there is nothing to announce then can we please have an announcement to announce that there is nothing to announce and that there will be an announcement made when there is something to announce. 

Not big fanfare was made about the SLO role but it was said and introduced by Adam and Rachel themselves at a past supporters club  and trust meeting where they explained what direction the role had gone with the two doing a share of the work load, so a few would be aware and have passed the info around some fans but I guess people are now looking for the big fan fare announcement and clarification on who the SLO is to the wider fan base.

On 16/11/2016 at 22:48, Agard Days Night said:

Les Dennis: "We asked 100 Bristol City fans who their SLO is. Our survey says... X"

I'm confused. Has @Rudolf Hucker had this Rachel bird yet or has he lost his magic? 

• Admin
2 hours ago, cider head said:

Not big fanfare was made about the SLO role but it was said and introduced by Adam and Rachel themselves at a past supporters club  and trust meeting where they explained what direction the role had gone with the two doing a share of the work load, so a few would be aware and have passed the info around some fans but I guess people are now looking for the big fan fare announcement and clarification on who the SLO is to the wider fan base.

As one of the integral parts of the SLO is fan interaction on football forums - I would have expected an introduction thread started with the same information given at the SC&T but to the users on here.

Obviously 99% know Adam, but does anyone know Rachel ?

Interesting thread. Doesn't seem to follow UEFA best practice tbh, 

FLO should I think- and the supporters club have covered this better than me, UEFA Guidelines and indeed others have already probably covered it all but at the risk of going over old ground:

• Be a fan. NOT someone who worked on the corporate side or promotions side of the club but an actual fan with matchday going experience and the like. What connection does Rachel Lemar have to City by which I mean in short- Was she a fan before she worked for the club.
  • Be a fully SEPARATE role- not combining a'la Adam Baker and Rachel Lemar, they have plenty to be getting on with.
  • Be allowed to speak some truth to power- neutral yes which will entail pointing out when things are going wrong to the club- hard when Bristol Sport pay your salary but still...
  • Being a fulltime role with all it would entail, a half decent salary- a part time role would not do.

I think that's all you need for a good FLO- no personal criticism or professional criticism of Adam Baker or Rachel Lemar, but with all those points mostly not being fulfilled is there any point in the role at all? (I know it's mandatory but just seems like a box ticking exercise to me unless these points are allowed to happen..

• Admin

Adam is up there with being most suitable for the role BUT I have no idea who Rachel is, I could be sat next to her in the ground and I wouldn't know

Am surprised there is nothing on the OS, even just a photo and short bio etc

Guess @Blagdon red / @Dollymarie would know, but would have thought this was raised via the Supporters Club & Trust?

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting thread. Doesn't seem to follow UEFA best practice tbh, 

FLO should I think- and the supporters club have covered this better than me, UEFA Guidelines and indeed others have already probably covered it all but at the risk of going over old ground:

• Be a fan. NOT someone who worked on the corporate side or promotions side of the club but an actual fan with matchday going experience and the like. What connection does Rachel Lemar have to City by which I mean in short- Was she a fan before she worked for the club.
  • Be a fully SEPARATE role- not combining a'la Adam Baker and Rachel Lemar, they have plenty to be getting on with.
  • Be allowed to speak some truth to power- neutral yes which will entail pointing out when things are going wrong to the club- hard when Bristol Sport pay your salary but still...
  • Being a fulltime role with all it would entail, a half decent salary- a part time role would not do.

I think that's all you need for a good FLO- no personal criticism or professional criticism of Adam Baker or Rachel Lemar, but with all those points mostly not being fulfilled is there any point in the role at all? (I know it's mandatory but just seems like a box ticking exercise to me unless these points are allowed to happen..

Agree with all of that. It really feels like the club don't take the role very seriously.

I just worked out, correct me if I am wrong, that a SLO stands for a Supporter Liaison Officer. I am not a fan of acronym's at the best of times; I think they are another lazy bastardisation of the English language and deserve to be flushed down the WC ;)

The 'word' SLO is also a rather unfortunate one; just when we want fast replies we have to wait for a slo (to) reply. Its a Shakespearian tragedy waiting to happen I tell you.

Archived