IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Brentford Match Day Thread

Ack.

Another narrow loss in a game where we failed to take our chances.

Really think the biggest factor here is having not got a striker in to replace Kodjia - Tammy was always going to have times he wouldn't score, and Engvall still is an unknown quantity.

Some will likely go mental at this, and they are entitled to do so.  But am happy to let this team continue to develop.

If we were taking the sort of beatings we got last year despite some good performances, then I'd be worried.  But I'm not yet.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well what can you say...

Abraham missed from 2 yards out and then missed 3 THREE separate one on ones without hitting the target.

All Brentfords chances came from defensive errors including the goal deflected in off someones ass.

At least we have come up with a novel way to avoid losing by 1 each time - send the keeper up for corners so we lose by 2 instead! 

Bryan a shadow of himself, Engvall an absolute ringer for Savage, Smith unfit, party on

Eh?

So we lost 1-0 to a wicked deflection with Tammy spurning some glorious chances. Don't feel too bad; so did hogan. 

Unlucky to not get a point but a win we did not deserve and neither did they. 

We were much improved 2nd half but LJ's dropping of LT backfired: big time. By the time he came on we were chasing and totally devoid of shape. Freeman motm, Magnusson running close after a shakey first. Bryan did little in the second to redeem a poor first half. 

As for Lucic. Not bloody ready by a loooooong way. He did make a couple of smart saves but bloody hell did that kid read the game extremely poorly and pass it short to the wrong man. He needs more game experience and not in the championship where mistakes are usually punished.

Engval didn't see enough of. Some good movement, lack of understanding between him and the team resulting in offsides. Too early to call of course. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What happened to 'believe in Lee' and all that?

My point is that SL decision over his contract provided him with a comfort zone too early in his career

I do believe in Lee but whether it is bad luck or something else his success may come in the future elsewhere

Nobody is bigger than the club

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

Ack.

Another narrow loss in a game where we failed to take our chances.

Really think the biggest factor here is having not got a striker in to replace Kodjia - Tammy was always going to have times he wouldn't score, and Engvall still is an unknown quantity.

Some will likely go mental at this, and they are entitled to do so.  But am happy to let this team continue to develop.

If we were taking the sort of beatings we got last year despite some good performances, then I'd be worried.  But I'm not yet.

Blind Optimist ;)

• Like 1

We will gain nothing in even considering firing Johnson at the moment. His footballing philosophy and plan is everything that we and so many other clubs need. 

We do not need a quick fix. We need to rebuild the club's attitude to the Championship. Firing our manager because we're struggling will help for precisely a little bit. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well what can you say...

Abraham missed from 2 yards out and then missed 3 THREE separate one on ones without hitting the target.

All Brentfords chances came from defensive errors including the goal deflected in off someones ass.

At least we have come up with a novel way to avoid losing by 1 each time - send the keeper up for corners so we lose by 2 instead! 

Bryan a shadow of himself, Engvall an absolute ringer for Savage, Smith unfit, party on

Really? Are you sure that he is not just Tony Dinning?

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Forgot about yourself there Ivor. Defeatist.

If you look,at what I said this time last season and the abuse I got you will discover I was right in what I was saying

Hope this time I am wrong but based on experience I am not over hopeful

Last comment of the evening

Horlicks and an early night to dream of City back in an FA Cup Final!

8 minutes ago, cynic said:

I can't see how Abraham missing chance after chance is something that the manager can be blamed for. He had plenty of support tonight and we created and wasted loads of chances - two up front wouldn't have made an iota of difference imo, we just don't have anyone that can finish anything other than a tap in from inside the six yard box.

As for Engvall, we don't see him in training every day do we.

He needs dropping to the bench for a stint, a lad his age cant be expected to carry the team all season, but the cupboard is a bit bare to replace him, thats the managers fault.

Edited by tts_city
  • Like 4
10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I still think Lee is quality but he may run out of time and luck

SL's poor choices strike again in offering Lee an extension to his contract before, at least, season's end.  Hope his decision doesn't rebound on the club as his last managerial choices all have

Yeah Cotterill was a disastrous appointment wasn't he. Really wish you'd give it a rest with your relentless negativity.

• Like 4

I've been very poor this evening , put a few jokes wide of the mark , lacked speed of response and general allround performance not up to my usual standards . I fear for the January window .

In other news ,

It is a very disappointing result ,we really needed something from this game to try to even out the poor run we're on .

LJ you need to earn your money now , a bad result against Preston and you will have one helluva job getting these lads playing winning football and attracting quality in for the transfer window ;

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

We can't get anyone else in until January no.

But surely tactics and team personnel can be changed before we're in the bottom 3?

Perhaps we could provide better support to Tammy? Learn to take a set piece. We could play 2 up front at home. Hell, we could even play our £2 million pound striker?

or wait for the relegation battle and then have a think

There's lots I can understand people criticising but I really don't get how anyone can accuse LJ of not changing tactics and personnel - he's doing it every week. To me the far more valid criticism would be that four months into the season it's not at all clear what our best line-up is...

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Blind Optimist ;)

I know; the happiest of clappers is I.

But seriously; we're slap-bang mid-table, which was where I thought we'd be most of the season.

Some seem to think we'd be genuine contenders in a league with the likes of Brighton, Newcastle and Norwich despite only having the ship righted by a cracking run in last year.  

Me?  Glad not to be trying to scrape together points to drag ourselves out of the relegation zone.

Another done; on to the next one.

• Like 4

Frankie-decent saves. 

Lucic - ok. Kicking iffy. 

Matthews - not bad. 

Flint n Maggs - decent. 

Smith - where has Korey gone?! Scared of the ball, lazy, backwards passing only. What a shadow of what he once was. 

Pack - few misplaced passes but pinged it around nicely. 

Reid - few nice touches, misses a sitter again. 

Freeman - anonymous. 

Bryan - oh dear. Premier league left back says LJ? So lazy, no passion. Wouldnt be near the squad for me. 

Golbourne - standard bog average. 

Tammy - hat-trick somehow given up!!

shocking performance. Four different formations. No wonder the players look confused. 

LJ needs to work out a starting and finishing formation and pick a team who wants to be out there!!

more of the same Saturday otherwise. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

My point is that SL decision over his contract provided him with a comfort zone too early in his career

I do believe in Lee but whether it is bad luck or something else his success may come in the future elsewhere

Nobody is bigger than the club

Listen to yourself again for god sake. You are hinting he should be replaced. The bloke hasn't been in charge a year yet, it takes a lot longer to build not only a team but a club. You claim to have been supporting us for years yet you have learned nothing of the ups and downs of a football season, especially in this league. We are where i expected us to be, we have a very young squad who are learning all the time. You are nothing but a complete pessimist ,give it a rest.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

We can't get anyone else in until January no.

But surely tactics and team personnel can be changed before we're in the bottom 3?

Perhaps we could provide better support to Tammy? Learn to take a set piece. We could play 2 up front at home. Hell, we could even play our £2 million pound striker?

or wait for the relegation battle and then have a think

Where is his rigidity then? He changes the formation alot... 442 diamond, 442, 352 and so on. In doing so he changes the personnel so that comment is way off.

Like London Bristolian says the problem isn't that, its that LJ doesn't know his best starting XI it seems

12 minutes ago, 29AR said:

So we lost 1-0 to a wicked deflection with Tammy spurning some glorious chances. Don't feel too bad; so did hogan. 

Unlucky to not get a point but a win we did not deserve and neither did they. 

We were much improved 2nd half but LJ's dropping of LT backfired: big time. By the time he came on we were chasing and totally devoid of shape. Freeman motm, Magnusson running close after a shakey first. Bryan did little in the second to redeem a poor first half. 

As for Lucic. Not bloody ready by a loooooong way. He did make a couple of smart saves but bloody hell did that kid read the game extremely poorly and pass it short to the wrong man. He needs more game experience and not in the championship where mistakes are usually punished.

Engval didn't see enough of. Some good movement, lack of understanding between him and the team resulting in offsides. Too early to call of course. 

How many times have we heard the words 'Bryan' and 'poor' in the same sentence this season? Not sure he's up to it at this level

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Utterly ridiculous to label it "madness". Top 10 is an entirely reasonable aspiration for this squad and still more than achievable.

All the usual reactionary nonsense on here tonight.

Agree, you'd think the season is almost over and we are in the bottom 3... Its December.

I agree its madness though, madness that fans are wanting Johnson replaced, relegation looms. Some sort of perspective needed, clubs go on good and bad runs, it happens.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

How many times have we heard the words 'Bryan' and 'poor' in the same sentence this season? Not sure he's up to it at this level

I am a fan of his and think he can cut it, but tonight he was seriously poor.  I think there will not be too many individual performances as bad as his this season. For me he is not a wideman. His brain and vision is too good. Has to be in the middle. Someone who can receive under pressure, turn and recycle and burst forward