IGNORED

Engvall transfer

bristolcitysweden

12 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Reports, which suggest... and correct me if I'm wrong but you say Got turned down a £450k offer so to say we were £1m over Got'a valuation is plainly incorrect. All that can be deduced is that £450k was under their valuation. 

And as always valuation is relative to who would pay what. Oscar is worth £60m to a team in China, nowhere else, Tevez £615k pw to a team in China, nowhere else. Engval may have been worth £450k to a team in turkey who spent no more than £500k on a single player this summer.. to us...

You just need to appreciate as an English side your £££'s don't stretch as far. That's no incompetence. 

Maybe a Chinese side will make a £20m ' take it or leave it ' bid for Engvall in January !! ;)

Put on A bit of Spin ' Swedish International , the next Zlatan etc etc'

Someone will bite !

Jobs a good un :fingerscrossed:

:colder:

8 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The offer turned down from Turkey was £450.000 only representing half of Gothenburgs valuation of the player which then was £900.000 and we paid £1.950.000 

Ok. Fair enough. But if I was CEO of Gothenburg I'd  say £900k valuation for a Turkish side is one thing, English championship side who have one 18 year old loanee and a 36 year old up front with £14m  fee for last year's top scorer.... double our valuation.

If I was and didn't I'd expect to be fired for negligence. Valuation is relative to the market, and the market to Konyaspor as to us is in our current position is vastly different. I mean even in January 2008 we were buying players from the Turkish Prem for £500k [Nick Carle]...  especially if we were going to the wall. Even more time to take the risk and try it on. 

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Saw someone on twitter claiming that Gary Johnson helps the agency company. I'm in no way claiming that is true but saw it on twitter.

In Tommy's OP Engvall's agent is named as Per Jonsson.

Presumably Mr Hayes somehow read this as Pa Johnson, i.e. Gary. :wacko:

If the Swedish companys profit margin for the year ending 2016-12 still is 2,86 %, they still only got one employee, no office costs from what can be understood it would be interesting to know more about the network and the cost for it.

VMC Group acted on behalf of  Gothenburg, not the player, and the article suggests they approached the club through their network whatever that mean. 

12 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

This nonsense about him not being fit annoys me. He's been fit, Johnson obviously just doesn't rate him. 

If he wasn't fit a month to six weeks after signing then I have no idea what the **** our coaches do. He wasn't exactly 20 stone when he signed was he. 

Part of the problem is playing one up top.  He's unlikely to start ahead of Tammy at the mo', although the goals drying up a bit might change that equation.  Wilbs is LJ's reliable benchman, so makes it difficult.  Should we switch to a 2, or we get an injury then he might get more game time.  Taylor Moore is in a similar situation trying to oust Flint / Magnússon.  That's football and squads.

Fitness doesn't mean weight does it.  He had a knee injury when he came over, and he said to me on Wednesday that it set him back a bit.  Not only was he trying to get over his knee, but get sharp, as well as get used to England (both football-wise and location-wise).  Having said that he thinks Bristol is quite similar to Gothenburg, which has helped him settle.  His family and girlfriend come over regularly too.

(Hordur said Italy was nowhere near as nice as Bristol)

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it's more getting fit from injury/match sharpness rather than him being genuinely unfit.

He is ready now, and expecting more game time.  Certainly has belief in his own ability, sees his career going very well.

12 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The offer turned down from Turkey was £450.000 only representing half of Gothenburgs valuation of the player which then was £900.000 and we paid £1.950.000 

By that Tommy you are assuming that what a club plays for a player in any transfer is the price quoted. I am pretty sure that every transfer comes with it's add on's agents fees, solicitors fees, etc, I don't think we have been ripped off if thats what you are suggesting.

I think it's kind of ironic that you have been asking the club to sign scandinavian players for years and now we have one, all your posts about him and the signing have been pretty exclusively negative.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think it's kind of ironic that you have been asking the club to sign scandinavian players for years and now we have one, all your posts about him and the signing have been pretty exclusively negative.

Frustration perhaps that previous recommendations have been ignored and he thinks there are better value players available out there?

TBF to Tommy, I noticed our other Swedish contributors were fairly unenthusiastic about the news of Engvall's transfer.

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Frustration perhaps that previous recommendations have been ignored and he thinks there are better value players available out there?

TBF to Tommy, I noticed our other Swedish contributors were fairly unenthusiastic about the news of Engvall's transfer.

Agree!   I remember the Swedish contributors posting that Engvall was not worth the money and there were better prospects.

Jesus. 

And to think people believe the "premier league clubs were looking at him" and "premier league clubs have watched him train with us" shit that gets spouted. 

He was so badly wanted his agent had to tout him to the club. 

Paying £1m over asking price and £500k to agents in one deal is the most Bristol City thing I've ever heard 

The information in this thread is from various reliable sources and I trust they are pretty spot on. Question is who got close to £500,000 for convincing the club to sign Engvall. I very much doubt the money ended up at the very unexperienced Swedish company mentioned. Who is behind the letterbox/shell company/conduit that benefited? Who fooled the club?

23 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Interesting Tommy. I suppose that`s the way it works in modern football. How the agent can get 40% of the fee though is beyond me - I`m in the wrong job obviously!

Most likely player ownership. Like Tevez & Mascherano.

Not uncommon.

Silly to sell yourself to an agent like that.

All this stress about a player that we honestly don't know how good he is yet! If he turns out to be crap then we can all say "classic Bristol City behaviour". If he turns out great we'll all be happy! Nothing ventured nothing gained in my opinion - we may lose on this one but we certainly gained on Kodjia. Swings and roundabouts...

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So this guy is seriously suggesting that Engvall's agent is the current manager of an English league two side and our head coach's father?

Leaving aside for one moment just how ludicrous an idea that is, there are clear rules that govern this sort of thing, a manager cannot be an agent, too..

This is genuinely one of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen posted on here.

People can have opinions on whether Engvall will turn out to be a good signing or not, whether he represents good value or not, but this is off the scale stupidity and how anyone could even contemplate believing it is true is simply beyond me.

I've just this thread an decided I was going to post similar comments to you, before I had read as far as yours. I'm surprised nobody else had picked how it just wouldn't be allowed to happen, just not possible as there would be at best a huge conflict of interest. But you put it much better than I ever could.

It's not just Engvall, we paid a similar amount for O'Dowda and he never seems to get a look-in. If we're paying over £1m for a player he has to be given a run of games in the first team, it's not the same in the reserves. LJ for all his talk about developing young players doesn't seem to have the courage to chuck them in the deep end, even if the team is struggling. Both of these players are full internationals, not kids straight out of the academy. I remember when Joe Bryan was first put in the team by McInnes, he was nowhere near ready but it helped his development no end.

Di Girolamo is knocking in goals for the reserves, and he's 22 (and a former Italian youth international) and also should at least be given bench appearances given that our 'best' players can't score at the moment.

Just so I can accurately measure my measure my level of outrage I meant to be showing here (using the Daily Mail scale, naturally).

How much of this 'one for the future' write off because he's crap and 'agent fee' of half a million is Internet speculation and how much of it is based on fact?

I'd hate to reflect in 6 months and look like a ****.

6 minutes ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

Is it just me that's confused about this transfer? He's looked perfectly good/fit/adapted whenever he's played, yet LJ keeps making excuses about how he isn't ready. Makes me wonder if something is going on behind the scenes.

Someone mentioned, true or not, that PL clubs have been watching him in training. Was this transfer only for the £500.000 advisory fee? 

24 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Stokes interest was way before (March). In fact they wished him good luck at City.

Well that sounds promising. If he went there and they thought he was poor and shipped him back he wouldn't be on their radar post-trial.

As it happens he stayed on their radar and they wished him well in a new role. Sounds like the sort of thing you'd do for someone who wasn't quite ready, but you suspect might get there... keep him sweet, keep him thinking highly of the club should he prove himself and come good and they once again become interest  

Transfermarkt the German website says his agent is NSKY;

http://www.nsky.se/index-1eng.html

http://www.nsky.se/index-2Eng.html#

He's played twice for Sweden in friendlies....he's hardly Ali Dia is he.  Had some idiot not incorrectly tweeted that Gary Johnson was the main man at the Agency, would this really be an issue that we've forked out a load to an agent.  Maybe that's why Kodjia's €3m turned out to be more than £3m accordingly to SL, and he wasn't referring to the exchange rate.

Might turn out to be a bargain.

Tommy's suggesting that we only bought Engvall because of a persuasive football agent. That flies in the face of everything we know about how this management team work. When you see the sort of effort they put in to signing a kid on loan, I for one find it hard to believe they would do so much less work on someone that cost a transfer fee.

Archived