IGNORED

The Official Ipswich Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread

8 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

It's not that bad up here.

fancy Freeman to get another.

COYR

I hope the fog hasn't got in your head! Or should I say "mist"... Irish Mist, perhaps... Difficult to predict, Irish Mist. Let's hope Freeman doesn't mist.

45 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I'll be there. I wish to state now though, that I am not sharing any of my Christmas chocolate with you lot :P 

I blame your disappearance from the match chat on our current form you know...

Boxing Day rugby? Tell the truth. You were in the queue for the Next sale, bagging that discounted handbag with matching shoes... ;)

Mist, fog or haze.. all astonishingly complicated and the following is about as clear as mud to me... make your own mind up cos its like predicting tonights result.

Mist and fog are often used interchangeably - and they are closely related - but there is a key difference which depends on how far you can see through them.

We call this visibility and its an important part of forecasts affecting many aspects of life from driving conditions to shipping and aviation.

Fog 

In our meteorological glossary fog is defined as 'Obscurity in the surface layers of the atmosphere, which is caused by a suspension of water droplets'.

Walker in fog

By international agreement (particularly for aviation purposes) fog is the name given to resulting visibility less than 1 km, however the term in forecasts for the public generally relates to visibility less than 180 m.

Mist

Mist is defined as 'when there is such obscurity and the associated visibility is equal to or exceeds 1000 m'. Like fog, mist is still the result of the suspension of water droplets, but simply at a lower density.

Mist over Kilchurn Castle, Scotland. Photo: maxnfang

Mist typically is quicker to dissipate and can rapidly disappear with even slight winds, its also what you see when you can see your breath on a cold day.

Haze

A third term you might also hear mentioned is haze. This is a slightly different phenomenon which is a suspension of extremely small, dry particles in the air (not water droplets) which are invisible to the naked eye, but sufficient to give the air an opalescent appearance.

Personally I like the haze the most and I normally associate it with warm weather and the other two cold; just my take on it mind.

• Like 1