IGNORED

Lee Johnson Sack Watch (Merged, again and again)

And Its Smith

24 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Reasons I think he can turn it around:

He has done so before at other clubs.

His average record with us is a top half side. Somethings not working right now, but I've seen enough in performances and in what he managed before the Cardiff away game to think we will turn it around. 

Also studies have shown that sticking with a manager provides a bigger "bounce" than bringing in a new one.

You also assume that LJ is going to start buying players for the sake of it, which is a ridiculous assumption as he hasn't done that so far, so there is no basis for it (Yes multiple signings, but lots of them have been ones to develop, so they need experienced ones with them). Granted there has been a high turnover of players, but we now have a slightly below average sized squad for the division, under SC we could just barely fill the bench, so 8-9 additions were needed, just to get us a shred of depth.

I don't believe there was originally the intention of making as many signings in January, no one would have predicted both our goalkeepers deciding to be completely inept this year, and there was also talk of "trying to fast track" the "3 window" period after we started to struggle. 

Will more signings be made in the summer? Of course. But I expect to see some players who have repeatedly made mistakes or aren't good enough leave. (Flint, Little, Fielding, etc.) 
With the changes to the loan rules squads will naturally be a bit bigger as well. A senior squad of about 26-28 would be pretty likely, and probably smaller than average in the Championship next season, that's just how things are now.

I assume you mean by 'turning it around at other clubs' you are referring to Barnsley ? that is one club , and he had a horrendous run there too - in Div 1. I think a lot of what they have done since LJ left there is down to his replacement, who, in my opinion, has done a magnificent job this season.

But OK, lets give LJ the credit for their promotion and cup win, would they be where they are now if he was still in charge? given they spent next to nothing in the summer,OR do we see a manager ( Head Coach) who has taken what he had and improved it, got a game plan in place and made it work?

Yes, our squad was ridiculously small and the new rules on loans play a part too, agreed.

Under performing players, yes we have a few of them just like every club the football world over, we could all see that Little was nowhere near the level required as an example, so move him on and bring in two new RB/RWB, Matthews was one, and yes that hasn't worked out, but where is the second one, Matthews could have had a great 6 games then got injured - there was no cover, none.

"His average record with us is a top half side" ? Really?

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

I assume you mean by 'turning it around at other clubs' you are referring to Barnsley ? that is one club , and he had a horrendous run there too - in Div 1. I think a lot of what they have done since LJ left there is down to his replacement, who, in my opinion, has done a magnificent job this season.

But OK, lets give LJ the credit for their promotion and cup win, would they be where they are now if he was still in charge? given they spent next to nothing in the summer,OR do we see a manager ( Head Coach) who has taken what he had and improved it, got a game plan in place and made it work?

Yes, our squad was ridiculously small and the new rules on loans play a part too, agreed.

Under performing players, yes we have a few of them just like every club the football world over, we could all see that Little was nowhere near the level required as an example, so move him on and bring in two new RB/RWB, Matthews was one, and yes that hasn't worked out, but where is the second one, Matthews could have had a great 6 games then got injured - there was no cover, none.His average record with us is a top half side

"His average record with us is a top half side" ? Really?

He also turned things around at Oldham, that's 2. Not a huge number, but he can hardly do more than 100% of previous jobs.

His average record with us is definitely top half, I looked into this precisely a few games ago. (Can't remember the exact date, but think it was just before the Rotherham game)

His average points per game since taking charge, multiplied by 46 to provide a full season, came out with a total that (from memory) was top 10 7 of the last 10 seasons, and top 12 every single time.

Will we finish top half- almost certainly not, but if the turn around comes soon then we could be close to it.

With respect I cannot be bothered to debate this at the moment, I have covered almost every aspect several times in the past and am fed up with doing so now, particularly when people will ignore certain parts and repeat the same thing back while adding things like calling me a "cock" or suggesting I have mental problems because of my opinion.

This is nothing to do with your post specifically and indeed you did neither, it's just a topic I'm a little fed up with now. However I thought that as you asked the question and I'm one of the remaining few who thinks LJ could turn it around, you had the right to a response. I can certainly see the points you make, and I am losing patience myself, but I hope that equally you can see some of mine.

Perhaps I'll have a proper debate about it in the future, but at this point others have really put me off of doing so.

4 hours ago, nimrod said:

SL doesn't give a flying duck about any of us fans. When are you actually gonna realise this? He's actually very lucky to have this many dullards in absolute abundance. Game after game, year after year you all pile into AG, served up the same old dross. Yet you still come back. You will still come back in lg1 next year. He is a businessman, and that is how this club is run. There is no sentiment, people venting their spleen on this forum achieves nothing. WE ARE THE MUGS!

Sorry but this is complete bullshit and you know it. It's run like a business? Well I'll tell you what, it's one hell of a shit business, losing around 15 million every single year, when in actual fact, an actual company run by Lansdown makes huge (hundreds of millions) profits every year. 

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

What did he actually achieve at Oldham and Barnsley ? Nothing . He left Barnsley inn12 th . Not a promotion position was it . He has spent millions and made our side progressively worse . Now that is some achievement. Awful appointment, should have gone months ago . Club has tried to buy him a career to justify their dire choice of coach . He needs to go and learn the job elsewhere . He should have joined as an academy coach . 

Definitely agree with that except I'm not even sure I'd have wanted him as Academy coach unless he's proven at that level. 

This club has given ex staff jobs in the past almost as a thank you and if we're to improve professionally we need to employ the best we can get for each role.

Now that could have been LJ but would like the club to move on from appointing coaches simply based on having played here.

I don't know to what extent MA's approach to recruiting players extends to coaching recruitment in terms of due diligence but would hope we're moving more in that direction.

I have received an email from a poster on here and apparently the moderators now have a deliberate mandate to merge all threads where LJ is discussed to supress the freedom we have talking about this. Some have complained its takes to much space on the BB but isn't that the point... these are worry times at this FC... The moderators require rotation...

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Will more signings be made in the summer? Of course. But I expect to see some players who have repeatedly made mistakes or aren't good enough leave. (Flint, Little, Fielding, etc.) 

James - Agree with you that Little and Fielding could be moved on in the summer, but do you really think that Flint will be sold? I'm not disagreeing that he makes mistakes but he is an 'ever present' in LJs team this season.

7 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Sorry but this is complete bullshit and you know it. It's run like a business? Well I'll tell you what, it's one hell of a shit business, losing around 15 million every single year, when in actual fact, an actual company run by Lansdown makes huge (hundreds of millions) profits every year. 

That's a very true and scary fact.

Is the strategy, sustainability, or sustainability with constant money pumped in / secured by SL.

I'm quite frightened by this.

2 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

James - Agree with you that Little and Fielding could be moved on in the summer, but do you really think that Flint will be sold? I'm not disagreeing that he makes mistakes but he is an 'ever present' in LJs team this season.

I accept Flint is more of a stretch, but for me has been far too error prone and isn't good enough for what we ultimately want.

We have his replacement here already- I think Magnusson-Wright will become our CB pairing, then Magnusson-Moore. Though that assumes none of those are sold on before that point.

The run we are in, the form we are in, surely no-one could survive a performance of that ineptitude... surely? That was not just bad, that was the worst performance of a championship side I may have ever seen. 

Utterly clueless.

LJ had no answer yet again.

Fulham were decent but not great but they still bossed City all over the pitch

I was sat there watching it and it crossed my mind that the team simply weren't playing for Johnson. There was no bite, no urgency, no pressing and no real idea. I think they want him gone on tonight's shambles.

I still can't SL sacking him tho.........:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Gteat thread. Well done.

Well done that we want the best for our football club?

Well done for us wanting to get rid of a horrible infection that is blighting Bristol City?

If you found a funnel web spider on the pillow next to you, you'd probably let it stay wouldn't you; for fear of hurting its feelings. 

There has to be a press announcement tomorrow lunchtime?! However, like others I think we have left it too late. 

From 6th to total and utter freefall culminating in our longest losing streak in our history, and yet the manager remains at the helm. It is utterly bonkers!

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Utterly clueless.

LJ had no answer yet again.

Fulham were decent but not great but they still bossed City all over the pitch

I was sat there watching it and it crossed my mind that the team simply weren't playing for Johnson. There was no bite, no urgency, no pressing and no real idea. I think they want him gone on tonight's shambles.

I still can't SL sacking him tho.........:facepalm:

That makes the players just us much a disgrace as LJ then.

Archived