IGNORED

When your two highest paid players complain...

JasonM88

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

How would they know? Not disputing your claim but I don't know what anyone in any other department does thats controversial especially at director level.

I am assuming this information wasn't in any kind of minutes.

It's the same as any other business people in different departments gossip at lunchtime!

Good to see all the players are pulling in the same direction. Disappointed to hear this but not surprised as the players are holding all the cards , they can take us down if they want or dont get their way. Looks like LJ has lost the dressing then. Mutiny at the Gate. 

Watch our players find that extra yard , block that tackle when Lee is gone. They disgust me. 

Fact is out of all the transfers this season, the two experienced ones have been the most disappointing in Tomlin and O'Neil. Haven't produced consistently enough and don't lead by example. Why should LJ cater to them? We all called for Tomlin and it hasn't worked but there was no point to the O'Neil signing. High wages for an aging non vocal leader who doesn't have the legs to lead by example anymore. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Tomlin, O'Neil and Paterson left TBH. Came in with big reputations and have stagnated the team. Give me Brownhill over O'Neil, Reid over Tomlin and O'Dowda over Paterson. They all leave everything on the pitch at a fraction of the cost. 

Can't give into this type of player power. This almost makes LJ unsackable IMO, if you sack a manager because the players complain then that is a slippery slope. It doesn't matter if the complaint is the reason he gets the sack or not the players will believe they hold the power.

I have heard Patterson but only on the City grapevine and on here

I have heard from a very good source of major falling outs with LT & GON

I think you can add with a fair degree of common sense a few more at least disillusioned with being hooked off , in the side , played out of position , out the side , on the bench , not even on the bench etc

Add that to his calling out individuals post match , and I think the overall picture is not too healthy IMHO

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fact is out of all the transfers this season, the two experienced ones have been the most disappointing in Tomlin and O'Neil. Haven't produced consistently enough and don't lead by example. Why should LJ cater to them? We all called for Tomlin and it hasn't worked but there was no point to the O'Neil signing. High wages for an aging non vocal leader who doesn't have the legs to lead by example anymore. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Tomlin, O'Neil and Paterson left TBH. Came in with big reputations and have stagnated the team. Give me Brownhill over O'Neil, Reid over Tomlin and O'Dowda over Paterson. They all leave everything on the pitch at a fraction of the cost. 

My instant reaction Joe 

But I'm not sure a combination of LJs tactics and their enthusiasm will be enough to keep us up

Worrying if your senior pros are openly dissenting

Would love to know Wilbs view on events - seems a great pro and level headed - he didn't really refer to LJ at all when he was with Twentyman on Monday

not sure how true this is but a friend of mine who works closely to one of the Johnson family members told me something similar a few weeks back, now im not going to say who it was as i don't want any one to get in trouble and im certainly not calming to be in the know. 

He told me that there has been numerous falling out and heated debates, 

1. Tomlin told LJ too **** off during the Huddersfield game. ( sub for the next game)

2. GON has questioned LJs coaching on the training ground and took it SL.

3. Paterson is another player who has had a fallen out with LJ and took it too SL.

Not sure how true it all is but would make a lot of sense, something is seriously wrong and something has to change.

Whether true or not I have no idea, but i just wish that once a player gets on the pitch for match day and they aren't happy here then they would give their all in the hope of getting a decent transfer away rather than drag themselves down, the manager down and the club with it.

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Also in the Costa and Payet threads we slate them for their shortcomings to the team. Yet them underperforming means LJ is the problem. Maybe LJ is the problem but none of those players have given their all this year or been anywhere near as good as they can be. When your highest paid players don't lead by example and complain it doesn't set a good example for the others. 

Everyone needs to take a good look in the mirror if it's all true. LJ as a manager and those players. 

Aaron Wilbraham. True professional. 

1 minute ago, Jp91 said:

not sure how true this is but a friend of mine who works closely to one of the Johnson family members told me something similar a few weeks back, now im not going to say who it was as i don't want any one to get in trouble and im certainly not calming to be in the know. 

He told me that there has been numerous falling out and heated debates, 

1. Tomlin told LJ too **** off during the Huddersfield game. ( sub for the next game)

2. GON has questioned LJs coaching on the training ground and took it SL.

3. Paterson is another player who has had a fallen out with LJ and took it too SL.

Not sure how true it all is but would make a lot of sense, something is seriously wrong and something has to change.

1 Yes - and a few more words

2 Yes

3 Not sure / don't know

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My instant reaction Joe 

But I'm not sure a combination of LJs tactics and their enthusiasm will be enough to keep us up

Worrying if your senior pros are openly dissenting

Would love to know Wilbs view on events - seems a great pro and level headed - he didn't really refer to LJ at all when he was with Twentyman on Monday

Depends on the situation I guess. If true, I don't know how justified the players are or not but it's not great when players question the coach. LJ was presumably hired to be here longer than most players(every club wants to get a Wenger with constant varying degrees of success) so he should be listened to by the players. I don't know how LJ conducts himself on the training pitch but I can't see him being too harsh on individuals. 

I always feel your senior players should lead by example no matter how tough it's getting. LJ has a philosophy(well did but I want to make this a general comment not an LJ one). If some players don't agree with the philosophy they need to be professional and see out their contracts and do the best they can. Not go over his head to the board or owner. Not professional from them(again don't know anything could be a special circumstance). 

LJs tactics and my enthusiasm may not be enough. I don't question LJs job should be looked at but if he's staying and players don't agree I'd rather they be dropped and we fast track a few younger lads. Relegation will either happen or not but if we are sticking with LJ then I would rather we just move on then pretend they're happy contributors to it. 

1 minute ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Sounds like we're back to having a squad full of overpaid rotters to me. 

Sounds like it. 

You would have thought after the past how many years and press conferences with SL and the mangers telling us they can't operate like that anymore they would have learned a lesson or two!

(only if this story is correct of course)

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Depends on the situation I guess. If true, I don't know how justified the players are or not but it's not great when players question the coach. LJ was presumably hired to be here longer than most players(every club wants to get a Wenger with constant varying degrees of success) so he should be listened to by the players. I don't know how LJ conducts himself on the training pitch but I can't see him being too harsh on individuals. 

I always feel your senior players should lead by example no matter how tough it's getting. LJ has a philosophy(well did but I want to make this a general comment not an LJ one). If some players don't agree with the philosophy they need to be professional and see out their contracts and do the best they can. Not go over his head to the board or owner. Not professional from them(again don't know anything could be a special circumstance). 

LJs tactics and my enthusiasm may not be enough. I don't question LJs job should be looked at but if he's staying and players don't agree I'd rather they be dropped and we fast track a few younger lads. Relegation will either happen or not but if we are sticking with LJ then I would rather we just move on then pretend they're happy contributors to it. 

Good post mate

Think a major problem is if true dissent / questioning of LJ has been done openly in front of the squad and I don't think it's just the open dissenters who are p***^d off for one reason or another

Getting rid of one or two dissenters may help , but not convinced it will sort the underlying problems tbh

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good post mate

Think a major problem is if true dissent / questioning of LJ has been done openly in front of the squad and I don't think it's just the open dissenters who are p***^d off for one reason or another

Getting rid of one or two dissenters may help , but not convinced it will sort the underlying problems tbh

For sure, no guarantees it would solve anything. I guess it's up to SL and the board. Are they ready to back LJ even in a relegation? Because that's what it would admit in a way by getting rid of say Tomlin and O'Neil. They could help another manager keep us up easily as they have quality. If they back LJ, they'd surely have to keep him even with relegation after their supreme backing of him. 

Its all odd if true. I just think players should be professional no matter what. Not many people like their boss but many have to be professional and deal with them the best way they can. We will have to see how it goes. Doesn't seem LJ is going anywhere soon though. Like the Freeman contract, this needs to be sorted sooner rather than later. 

51 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Fair enough.

I dislike that there is an auto-filter that changes S-a-u-c-e to source. Poor show OTIB.

I used the word "****" and got done by the Admin Police the other night !!!..They be watchin !!!

Here's a thought.

You're at work and things are going wrong, continually.

You question your boss about his ideas and he replies, I'm in charge do one.

You may suck it up for a while, but get a little more vocal as you see things aren't changing.

Your next option is to approach your Bosses Boss to express your fear, chain of command and perfectly normal. 

It changes slightly with football I guess but it shows those players care at least. 

We on here, at least a high percentage, have questioned LJ's choices. Teams,tactics,subs etc then why not the players? They look to me like they still play for the shirt, if not LJ . I can't question any players efforts, choices and performance but not effort. We needed experience, with that comes opinions and the confidence to express them. Of course there are ways of expressing them and these players may have stepped out of line, but we are not in a position to be able to leave influential players out to spite them.

Much of my career has been spent managing talented people, who inevitably have vulnerabilities and egos. Sometimes the most talented are people with a surprising need to be reassured.

In my world, where the people concerned are far better known and high profile than anyone currently at Bristol City, if you've lost the respect of your talented people you've lost your job. No amount of wishing it to be otherwise changes that and there's usually no going back. In football these guys have their reputations on the line, reputations they've spent decades building and which feed their families...I'm not at all surprised if they take their concerns higher. A very damaging situation, which should - if true - never have been allowed to come about. It will inevitably end with someone - or several people - walking, unless a remarkable job can be done patching things up...which will require egos to be bruised.

What is it about the internet where people love a good conspiracy theory? 

Players do occasionally ger narked at managers and vice versa. Words can be spoken. Anyone who has played at any level at all will have experienced this. It doesn't mean anyone is "a rotter", it's life.It doesn't mean the players won't be trying their best for the sake of the club - and their own careers. 

The idea that players approached the board about Johnson's selections is highly unlikely tbh. 

Archived