IGNORED

When your two highest paid players complain...

JasonM88

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

If only there was some sort of process where LJ could have tried him out before he bought him

That would work, because we've never had players on loan before who were great when playing for a contract, but failed after we signed them on permanently.

5 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Exactly, if LJ had gone mad at the team and gave right good rollicking, isn't that we want? 

I mean plenty of people seem to laud Uncle Colin being harsh on his players if they are not performing to the level he requires. LJ knows he will be in for the same fate from his bosses so only fair to give his staff one to, in the end his job is more on the line than theirs.

Probably all hearsay. I do find it odd Reid has disappeared in recent weeks, if we are looking to ram the ball through the middle (and not have width) surely he should be in the team ? 

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

Can this thread just be closed? None of us know what is or isn't going on, many people are quoting things as fact when in truth none of us have a bloody clue.

What is it with people asking with every other ******* thread to be closed. 

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It happens a lot actually. But it won't have been the players themselves going to SL. They'd have got their agents to do their dirty work.

In the PL I have no doubt. The prima donnas there probably have their 'representatives' contact the club if they don't like the toilet paper in the players' loos.

I would still be surprised if you had a delegation of agents approach Lansdown. 

Lansdown will, at any rate, be weighing his own decision over Lee's future in conjunction with his advisers within the club. He is not the sort of bloke who has his mind made up by whinging outsiders.  Lose to Forest and the axe will fall. Anything else would be unthinkable. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Depends whether you think it's professional to act as a "whistleblower" when you perceive something clearly going wrong, and the line manager ignores your concerns, or worse still is the source of your concerns. 

In most industries, it has been learnt that "whistleblowers" need to be taken seriously and protected, assuming that they are not trying to act maliciously. Senior professionals voicing serious concerns to the owner about a manager/head coach should be a major alarm bell that something is wrong and needs to be investigated appropriately.

It's a common theme when things go badly wrong in all industries and walks of life that there were people who were aware of issues, but either no one listened to them or they were deliberately ignored. From all that has been written in here, it can't all just be conspiracy theories bouncing around the echo chamber of the forum, there must be at least a grain of truth in them somewhere. All of which points to a very worrying situation, and at least in part explains our worst run of league defeats in history.

Good post. No one comes out of it with any credit . Weak management . Snake like players. 

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Probably all hearsay. I do find it odd Reid has disappeared in recent weeks, if we are looking to ram the ball through the middle (and not have width) surely he should be in the team ? 

Could be for a number of reasons, maybe family issues maybe a injury or an illness but let's all just presume he's had a fall out with LJ yea? It can't ever be anything reasonable can it? 

Just now, Up The City! said:

Could be for a number of reasons, maybe family issues maybe a injury or an illness but let's all just presume he's had a fall out with LJ yea? It can't ever be anything reasonable can it? 

Haha, I'm guessing it's just he needs a break, he hasn't played a full season of football before iirc 

But yh, it's clear LJ called his hairstyle "bog brush" and Bobby cried a little. That's what I've heard anyway ;)

Very interesting that in his recent press conference when asked about Luke Freeman he went on about "players wanting to play for Bristol city" and "making sure their heads are in it" wonder if this actually goes further than just Luke and was actually a shot/reference to the mutineers

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Can this thread just be closed? None of us know what is or isn't going on, many people are quoting things as fact when in truth none of us have a bloody clue.

Its a debating forum. Forget about facts, its about opinions. We all know sh*t about whats going on despite all the ITK people.

If something has to happen if your 2 highest paid players complain does that mean nothing should happen if your 2 lowest paid ones do the same? Is the validity and value of a player's whinge in direct proportion to the size of the numbers on his pay slip? I think we should be told.;)

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

That would work, because we've never had players on loan before who were great when playing for a contract, but failed after we signed them on permanently.

Fair point.. I was being sarcastic as you probably guessed, but I do think regardless of quality (which has obviously been lower from LT this season) there was every opportunity for LJ to have assessed a) in what positions and formations he could feasibly play and use him and b) what his ego and temperament would be like under LJ's instructions and "leadership". Certainly enough opportunity for assessment prior to breaking our transfer record for him.

I actually make LJ right on some of the occasions he has dropped Tomlin this season, his positioning and loose touches have been poor. But from the start of this season you could also make a clear case that we were not going to play him in a position that would suit him, so why given a loan spell to learn about him, do you spend so much money for a player that doesn't fit your planned strategy? Or was this a trophy SL signing rather than an LJ one?

Probably the single thing I find most hard to comprehend anymore, is how a club like ours, has in the blink of an eye gone from a financially responsible and (for this level at least) lower budget team, to one that throws £3m at a player that it wasn't going to build the team around, £2m for another that it's never going to play, £1.5m on another who isn't ready yet. Easy to have hindsight, but doesn't change that it's insane amounts of money on our history.

One of the main reasons why this could be likely.

- Johnson doesn't have a lot of experience and has never managed "known" entities before, usually signing lower league players he could expect respect from. Both at Barnsley and Oldham.

- Tactics and Substitutions have been questionable to downright stupid, especially against Reading where not playing Patterson, one of the possible abusers of apparent player power, would have been useful for width tactically, was totally ignored and Reid was played out of position.

With the two above points, and his apparently poor body language, I see no reason for the players to not be annoyed. We have a very young squad, and someone like O'Neill, who has the history of being a consistant, quiet, and well liked bloke, may have taken said younger players opinion and concerns on board.  He does not strike as the type to do something like this without adequate concerns - compared to someone with more confident if overbearing demeanour such as Tomlin.

Regarding Tomlin, I was watching the clips of the villa game last night and when he scores his free kick he looks in the direction of what I assume is the bench and is seen to be shouting some abuse...... this may well have nothing to do with LJ but did all this start months ago??

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

If something has to happen if your 2 highest paid players complain does that mean nothing should happen if your 2 lowest paid ones do the same? Is the validity and value of a player's whinge in direct proportion to the size of the numbers on his pay slip? I think we should be told.;)

No it shouldn't matter if their issue is valid whether it comes from your most or least experienced employee. Their should be a clear process where the complaint can be dealt with. Hierarchal systems that are nit open to any form of questioning or challenge are the ones most likely to eventually fail. Sometimes sooner rather than later as a disaster ensues.

It takes a good manager to recognise appropriate concerns and also when they need to act or when they as the manager are in the wrong and back down gracefully. Remember you learn more from listening than talking!

What concerns me is how do the well-paid (and not so well-paid) players get an audience with SL?

I work for a small company, probably similar size to BCFC, and there's no way I'm going to my CEO to complain about my boss.  Mainly, because I know, 1 minute after the meeting has finished, that my boss will be getting a phone call.  Which could be awkward for me.

So how does SL make himself available to the players?  Is there a fortnightly anonymous 20-minute drop-in session?  You can ask anything you want from financial advice to the best way to cross the ball?

54 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I'd still have Tomlin over Reid, but agree about the other two. If he's trying to oust the manager though, get him out. 

On his day, sure but when was the last good day he had? Reid can unlock a defense and puts in a shift for the team. I'll never question Tomlin's talent but if 6 months in with a new team with fans that called for him all of a sudden can't give his all anymore then I don't want him playing. 

1 minute ago, ThornRed said:

Regarding Tomlin, I was watching the clips of the villa game last night and when he scores his free kick he looks in the direction of what I assume is the bench and is seen to be shouting somega abuse...... this may well have nothing to do with LJ but did all this start months ago??

He was shouting abuse at everyone for doubting him because there was a call from O'Neil or the coaching staff for Magnusson to take a prior free kick. It was odd at the time but certainly not any deep seated dissent, just evidence of a handle-with-care ego that we should have known what to expect from.

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

On his day, sure but when was the last good day he had? Reid can unlock a defense and puts in a shift for the team. I'll never question Tomlin's talent but if 6 months in with a new team with fans that called for him all of a sudden can't give his all anymore then I don't want him playing. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if we could go back to the summer now I would not be wanted LT as our marquee signing. Not enough effort and not a 'team' player imho. 

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Ego. Characters. Leaders . Whingers. 

49 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

So you think this is ok?

"ranted and raved then turned to the non used players ( about six of them ) including Reid and Freeman etc to get out as they were irrevelant and told other staff in there to go as well."

Yes. Have it out, full and frank. The non-used players were irrelevant to that match's debrief (rollicking) and didn't need to hear it. If I work in a team and someone doesnt pull their weight I don't sit in on their appraisal / disciplinary! 

As for the other staff find that less justifiable and closer to not okay. However if it is personality clashes then I can see why he might go the route of 'right here I am, here you are, let's air it out'. 

Sounds like this is his hand grenade moment. Not sure it will work with this lot.  

Archived