IGNORED

Who was the last successful manager we had?

BigAl&Toby

I guess it depends on how long you've followed The City I guess but I'd genuinely be interested in knowing.

Why ask?

Well part of me can't help thinking that whilst results of late have been dreadful who, with the desired experience and credentials (whatever they might be), would come here if LJ is relieved of his duties.

We've had several years of little if any real success. Alongside that we've had Christ knows how many managers or head coaches.

What if LJ is sacked and whoever replaces him doesn't bring the success we are all so desperate for? Replace them too?

How about a longer term view? Some consistency - even if it means another roller coaster end to the season, or even relegation?

Genuine question!

3 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I guess it depends on how long you've followed The City I guess but I'd genuinely be interested in knowing.

Why ask?

Well part of me can't help thinking that whilst results of late have been dreadful who, with the desired experience and credentials (whatever they might be), would come here if LJ is relieved of his duties.

We've had several years of little if any real success. Alongside that we've had Christ knows how many managers or head coaches.

What if LJ is sacked and whoever replaces him doesn't bring the success we are all so desperate for? Replace them too?

How about a longer term view? Some consistency - even if it means another roller coaster end to the season, or even relegation?

Genuine question!

cotts, before that johnson and before that Ward

Gary Johnson and Cotterill in recent years isn't it really. 

Regardless of the football in 2007/08 and the many fortunate 1-0 wins Gary Johnson remains the only manager really in decades that has actually got us competing and pullung up tree's in the second tier. Cotts did well obviously but i just cant jump and shout over a third tier promotion too much to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

LJ at the start of the season was pretty successful !!

LJ last season was pretty successful. He took over with us bottom of the league and in horrible form and kept us up with a couple of weeks to spare and some pretty satisfying results (Bolton, Huddersfield) along the way.

Cotterill did very well with transfers, even near the end (Kodjia) and won us the league and the JPT, In recent years i would have to say Cotts.

Best manager of all time ? Well i am in my early thirties so my answer will differ from some of you but I cannot forget that Gary Johnson got us promotion and then an awesome playoff campaign putting us 90 mins away from the premiership, before that I did enjoy (parts) of the Danny Wilson era.

10 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

So then. So far it's SC. If the definition of success is promotion to the Championship and JPT.

We've had a few managers over recent years. Why not stick with LJ and have a slightly longer term view?

Let's face it. Changing them every few years hasn't really worked has it?

What is the long term view though?

Do we have a manager fit for a promotion race in L1 even? His highest finish is 11th down there. His previous team won promotion after he left them and we're told not at all because of him. 

He did go on an 8 match losing streak down there though. Common themes and all. 

Virtually all footballing careers end in failure. Even Dicksy left us with a complete 'mare. There are very few exceptions: SAF perhaps, but often those leave when the legacy starts to look tarnished.

It's why anyone posting "I know this appointment is going to be a disaster" at the start of a manager's reign can wipe the smug "I told you so" grin off their face.

You have three categories:

Successful/leaves you in the lurch for a bigger club [we haven't had one of those in a while!]

Successful at first, but then goes wrong  [like LJ]

Disaster from start to finish [Pulis/SOD]

It depends what you class as success? Long term or short term.

Getting you promotion from the third division one season, and then back into the relegation zone the next apparently for some makes you the most successful.

Taking 7 years to get you into Div 1 is success for others.

I think you have to take every circumstance into consideration, and for me Terry Cooper has been our most successful manager.

As RR said above...Alan Dicks left us in a right mess, as did SC. It's not looking much better with results right now. Maybe we'll soon be seeing another lamb to the slaughter soon as well.

Long term success I guess you mean because otherwise it is simple - Cott's, our last one.

How hard is it really to just be a mediocre championship club, with ok players, and a ok manager winning / losing / drawing and just kinda having some little droplets of success for a few seasons ? Why do we always just **** it up everytime...

Well it depends on how you define success. Promotion and Football League trophy double from SC was a success imo. 

But then you can introduce other variables, like the entertainment value of the football, the calibre of player in the team under that manager. 

For me, no manager has recreated the style of football and entertainment value that Danny Wilson was able to. I used to love watching his city teams. Yet, we often only grabbed a 1-0 win, had a less than excellent keeper (Phillips), a drinking culture at the club and epicly ballsed up promotion, despite being top of the league at one stage!

You could also argue that the caliber of player in the current team is better than ever, so the managerial recruitment has been very successful. But the managerial results have been woeful!

14 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Long term success I guess you mean because otherwise it is simple - Cott's, our last one.

How hard is it really to just be a mediocre championship club, with ok players, and a ok manager winning / losing / drawing and just kinda having some little droplets of success for a few seasons ? Why do we always just **** it up everytime...

We had that for most of GJ's tenure and indeed I would say the bulk of his tenure was above mediocre.

@spudski was before my time but based on the mess we were in I certainly think there's a strong case for Cooper.

Anyone willing to nominate Lee Johnson?

It appears he's got two sponsors so far - Messrs Lansdown and Ashton.

I nominate Alan Dicks.

However, It depends on what someone considers to be the hallmark of success. For me it was going up and playing in the top tier.

Imagine what Dicks would have acheived if he had (in equivalent terms) the same amount of money that Johnson has spent.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Alan Dicks. He got us to the top division. No-one else has achieved that.

Harry Thickitt did, 70 years before Dicks. Second division champions in 1905/06, with a record 14 consecutive League wins that still stands to this day. 

In the following campaign City finished second in the First Division, 3 points adrift of Newcastle United.

And  in 1908/09 City were FA Cup finalists at the old Crystal Palace.

So Harry remains City's most successful ever boss. He was also a decent player winning international caps for England as well as FA Cup and League Championship winner's medals with Sheffield United.

22 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

So Harry remains City's most successful ever boss. He was also a decent player winning international caps for England as well as FA Cup and League Championship winner's medals with Sheffield United.

Harry Thickett was before my time. 50+ years before......

35 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Anyone willing to nominate Lee Johnson?

It appears he's got two sponsors so far - Messrs Lansdown and Ashton.

I nominate Alan Dicks.

However, It depends on what someone considers to be the hallmark of success. For me it was going up and playing in the top tier.

Imagine what Dicks would have acheived if he had (in equivalent terms) the same amount of money that Johnson has spent.

When we were in the old First Division we paid some of the highest wages in England. Source: two former players from that time who I know.

There is a reason we went bust so soon afterwards....

Archived